The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time. -- Merrick Furst

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

SubjectAuthor
* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Incubus
+- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Klaus Schadenfreude
+* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Dave Roya
|`* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Incubus
| `* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…
|  `* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Incubus
|   `* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…
|    +- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…
|    `* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Incubus
|     `- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…
+- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?VanguardLH
`* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying itBrian Gregory
 `* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Lord Vader
  +- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying itBrian Gregory
  `* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying itPaul
   `* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Incubus
    +* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…
    |`* Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying itPaul
    | +- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…
    | `- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?Incubus
    `- Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?bad sector

1
Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u922eo$tckt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=634&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#634

From: u9536612@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 00:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 00:36 UTC

Firefox is always set to never ask or save anything
Specifically Firefox is always set to "Never remember history"
And Firefox is set to "Delete cookies & site data when Firefox is closed"
Of course, Firefox opens to a blank page, namely "about:blank"

Yet Firefox is saving stuff that it promised it wouldn't be saving.
Worse - Firefox won't say what that stuff it's saving is.

Firefox is just saying that it saved it.
But won't tell me what it is.

To reproduce.
1. Start Firefox 109.0.1 (32-bit) on Windows
2. Go to "about:preferences"
3. Press on "Privacy & security"
4. Scroll to "Cookies & site data"
Invariably, Firefox will tell you how much it saved that it shouldn't have.
"Your stored cookies, site data, and cache are currently using (some amount
of bytes) of disk space".

Then it gives a completely useless link saying "learn more", where the link
isn't useless for what it says, but because it's not telling us the truth.

Learn more.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/storage?as=u&utm_source=inproduct&redirectslug=permission-store-data&redirectlocale=en-US

When I click on "Manage data", invariably there is nothing.
So where is this "stored cookies, site data, and cache" coming from?

Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

When I click on the "Clear data" button, it comes up with a form saying
"Clearing all cookies and site data stored by Firefox may sign you out of
websites and remove offline web content. Clearing cache data will not
affect your logins.

Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
Cached Web Content (some amount of bytes)

Clear.
Clear Now.

Only after all that does Firefox finally clear what it lied about not
saving but what's much worse is I can't FIND what it's storing or where.

Can you?

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<1772828f79cc6a51$1$332549$565a1036@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=635&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#635

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: klaus.schadenfreude.l??schen.@gmail.com (Klaus Schadenfreude)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 21:12:40 -0400
 by: Klaus Schadenfreude - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 01:12 UTC

On 7/16/2023 8:36 PM, Incubus wrote:
> Firefox is always set to never ask or save anything
> Specifically Firefox is always set to "Never remember history"
> And Firefox is set to "Delete cookies & site data when Firefox is closed"
> Of course, Firefox opens to a blank page, namely "about:blank"
>
> Yet Firefox is saving stuff that it promised it wouldn't be saving.
> Worse - Firefox won't say what that stuff it's saving is.
>
> Firefox is just saying that it saved it.
> But won't tell me what it is.

I have never had the problems you have described. Most stupid people
flock to Mac. Maybe you should join them.

> To reproduce.
> 1. Start Firefox 109.0.1 (32-bit) on Windows
> 2. Go to "about:preferences"
> 3. Press on "Privacy & security"
> 4. Scroll to "Cookies & site data"
> Invariably, Firefox will tell you how much it saved that it shouldn't
> have.
> "Your stored cookies, site data, and cache are currently using (some
> amount
> of bytes) of disk space".
> Then it gives a completely useless link saying "learn more", where the
> link
> isn't useless for what it says, but because it's not telling us the
> truth.
>
> Learn more.
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/storage?as=u&utm_source=inproduct&redirectslug=permission-store-data&redirectlocale=en-US
>

> When I click on "Manage data", invariably there is nothing.
> So where is this "stored cookies, site data, and cache" coming from?
>
> Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?
>
> When I click on the "Clear data" button, it comes up with a form saying
> "Clearing all cookies and site data stored by Firefox may sign you out of
> websites and remove offline web content. Clearing cache data will not
> affect your logins.
>
> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
> Cached Web Content (some amount of bytes)
>
> Clear.
> Clear Now.
>
> Only after all that does Firefox finally clear what it lied about not
> saving but what's much worse is I can't FIND what it's storing or where.
>
> Can you?

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u92mb2$12sir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=636&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#636

Followup: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 06:16:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 06:16 UTC

On 17 Jul 2023 00:36:41 -0000 (UTC) Incubus wrote:

>Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
>Cached Web Content (some amount of bytes)
>
>Clear.
>Clear Now.
>
>Only after all that does Firefox finally clear what it lied about not
>saving but what's much worse is I can't FIND what it's storing or where.
>
>Can you?

You want to see the cache?
about:cache

Mind you, it's still storing session data in memory. So pull the plug out.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<mj3djs5yhv9k.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=640&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#640

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:39:18 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:39 UTC

NOTE: What Firefox saves is not a Windows 10 issue, so that newsgroup
was omitted in my reply.

Original newsgroups:
alt.comp.software.firefox
alt.comp.os.windows-10
alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Newsgroups in my reply:
alt.comp.software.firefox

Don't shotgun across newsgroups even under the guise that users in other
newsgroups /might/ have experience with your problem. You say there is
a problem in Firefox, so submit to just that newsgroup.

Incubus <u9536612@gmail.com> wrote:

> Firefox is always set to never ask or save anything
> Specifically Firefox is always set to "Never remember history"
> And Firefox is set to "Delete cookies & site data when Firefox is closed"
> Of course, Firefox opens to a blank page, namely "about:blank"

The "Delete cookies and site data" option is incomplete. If you want
*all* locally cached data purged on Firefox's exit:

about:preferences#privacy
History section
Enable "Clear history when Firefox closes"
Settings button
Select all types of locally cached data (passwords are excluded).

When Firefox closes, all that locally cached data is deleted.
Alternatively, during a web session, you can use menu (3-bar) -> History
-> Clear recent history, and select all data types, and a time range of
Everything to effect the same purge.

> Yet Firefox is saving stuff that it promised it wouldn't be saving.
> Worse - Firefox won't say what that stuff it's saving is.
>
> Firefox is just saying that it saved it.
> But won't tell me what it is.

Just what is the message you see in Firefox saying "stuff" got saved?
Are you asking about you initiating file downloads?

> To reproduce.
> 1. Start Firefox 109.0.1 (32-bit) on Windows
> 2. Go to "about:preferences"
> 3. Press on "Privacy & security"
> 4. Scroll to "Cookies & site data"
> Invariably, Firefox will tell you how much it saved that it shouldn't
> have. "Your stored cookies, site data, and cache are currently using
> (some amount of bytes) of disk space".

If you purge locally cached data *within* a web session, that only
clears the data to that point. It will not purge local data after that
point, and you still have Firefox open.

Again, where you are going only does a partial purge: just cookies and
site data. None of the other local data gets purges under the History
settings I mentioned before.

Also, while Firefox is running, it is making connections to various
sites. Could be due to whatever add-ons you installed. You did not
mention testing with all add-ons disabled, clearing local data, and then
checking if more local data showed up. Firefox also has its own
connections when running, and which Mozilla *has* provided information
on how to reduce those connections. See:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections

> Then it gives a completely useless link saying "learn more", where the
> link isn't useless for what it says, but because it's not telling us
> the truth.
> Learn more.
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/storage?as=u&utm_source=inproduct&redirectslug=permission-store-data&redirectlocale=en-US

That web page discusses site settings which is just one of the 2 data
types that get purged by where you say you are trying to delete them.
The moment you delete that data, it begins to accrue again for those
data types, because you are still running Firefox, its add-ons, and the
background connections used by Firefox.

> When I click on "Manage data", invariably there is nothing.
> So where is this "stored cookies, site data, and cache" coming from?

But you said you did the purge, but found there was more "stuff". Just
where are you looking to see more "stuff" is getting saved? Now you say
the cookie and site settings are cleared, so where are you discovering
more "stuff" is stored?

> Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

I have never seen the message you say you see. The only time Firefox
tells me stuff is getting saved is when I download files.

What add-ons are installed? Maybe they're the ones presenting the
message about saving something.

> When I click on the "Clear data" button, it comes up with a form
> saying "Clearing all cookies and site data stored by Firefox may sign
> you out of websites and remove offline web content. Clearing cache
> data will not affect your logins.
>
> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
> Cached Web Content (some amount of bytes)
>
> Clear.
> Clear Now.
>
> Only after all that does Firefox finally clear what it lied about not
> saving but what's much worse is I can't FIND what it's storing or where.
>
> Can you?

Just how is Firefox lying about what it is telling you it has locally
cached? Stop trying to clear just those 2 types of data with the
expectation that Firefox will not continue to save more after that
point. You are still in a web session. Maybe your home page is set to
about:blank, but are you actually on that internal web page, or have you
rested Firefox on other web sites? If the latter, well, your web
sessions did not get terminated, so that data accrues again.

If you have add-ons, those could be retrieving data, like to update the
data they use.

The cached web data shows from where the data came, but you omitted
stating what are those sites when mentioning that data is not purged.
If about:preferences#privacy -> Cookies and Site Data -> Manage Data is
showing some of that data was saved locally, it also shows from where,
but you neglected to show from where.

If you go to about:cache, you see how much was stored in memory and how
much on disk. Click on the "List Cache Entries" to see the types of
stored data. After using about:preferences#privacy -> Cookies and Site
Data -> Clear Data (which clears only cookie files and site
preferences), refresh the cache list pages (about:cache?storage=memory
and about:cache?storage=disk) to see how much is left. Then use menu ->
History -> Clear recent history, with all data types selected, and
timerange of Everything, Clear Now, and refresh the cache list pages to
see how much storage is used for caching which will like show 0 KiB.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections

Review the above Mozilla article on how to eliminate background
connections in Firefox. For example, if you left prefetching enabling,
Firefox will go to the domains specified in hyperlinks in the current
web doc to cache up those pages to effect fast load times when (and if)
you click on hyperlinks to go to those domains. I disable prefetching
because it can effect connections to tracking domains that you're trying
to avoid using an ad/content blocker add-on. See:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dashboard:-Settings#disable-prefetching

You may be using about:blank for the home page, but did you disable
Firefox from connecting to its Home Content? about:preferences#home,
under Firefox Home Content, are /*all*/ of those disabled? And, for new
tabs, is Blank Page specified, or Firefox Home?

Does Firefox show you are actually loading the internal about:blank page
when you load Firefox? Or does about:preferences#home say "Blank Page"?
When you specify a custom URL of about:blank, on reloading Firefox it
should have changed to saying "Blank Page". A blank page has slightly
different behavior than specifying about:blank. For example, if
about:blank were loaded, the address bar has slightly different
behavior. As I recall, the cursor was positioned at the end of the URL
which meant you have to erase about:blank to enter a new URL versus when
Blank Page is used there is no URL string in the address bar, so you can
begin immediately entering text.

As for Mozilla hiding where data gets stored, that's because you didn't
bother to hunt for it. Online searches will point you to Mozilla
articles, like:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<khrhd8F5u3mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=646&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#646

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it
saved?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 02:36:39 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 01:36 UTC

Cached pages are not the same as site data.

What are you up to that you're so paranoid about being stored?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9a498$13ce9$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=647&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#647

From: darthvader@victory.net (Lord Vader)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:57:42 +0900
 by: Lord Vader - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 01:57 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote

> What are you up to that you're so paranoid about being stored?

It's classic for people to blame the victim for privacy flaws in Firefox.

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<khrjlfF64npU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=648&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#648

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
saved?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 03:15:11 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 02:15 UTC

On 20/07/2023 02:57, Lord Vader wrote:
> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote
>
>> What are you up to that you're so paranoid about being stored?
>
> It's classic for people to blame the victim for privacy flaws in Firefox.

The cache is there to speed things up.
If you really don't want anyone to be able to see you plotting your
terrorist activities use full disk encryption with a strong password.

On the other hand if you really just want the cache cleared when you
exit from Firefox then do that instead of confusing site data with cache.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9apjm$2kb15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=653&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#653

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
saved?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 04:00:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:00 UTC

On 7/19/2023 9:57 PM, Lord Vader wrote:
> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote
>
>> What are you up to that you're so paranoid about being stored?
>
> It's classic for people to blame the victim for privacy flaws in Firefox.

You can set cache2, to use RAM.

When you exit the browser, the RAM is deallocated and information content is lost.

"Switched browser cache from disk (SSD) to RAM, about:cache still displaying in disk too"

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570

Paul

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9c5k2$2s55t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=658&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#658

From: u9536612@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 20:32:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 20:32 UTC

On 2023-07-17, Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> You want to see the cache?
> about:cache
>
> Mind you, it's still storing session data in memory. So pull the plug out.

Thank you for the suggestion of "about:cache" which contains a lot of
gibberish that means something, I'm sure, to Firefox experts, but not to
me.

Why is it saving that gibberish?
Why can't it delete it like it's supposed to when I close Firefox?

All I want is Firefox to start clean upon every invocation.
Why is that so hard to do?

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<erhuM.127048$4yJ9.18246@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=659&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#659

saved?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: @. (๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:12:38 -0400
 by: ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 21:12 UTC

On 7/20/2023 4:32 PM, Incubus wrote:
> On 2023-07-17, Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>> You want to see the cache?
>> about:cache
>>
>> Mind you, it's still storing session data in memory. So pull the plug
>> out.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion of "about:cache" which contains a lot of
> gibberish that means something, I'm sure, to Firefox experts, but not to
> me.
>
> Why is it saving that gibberish?
> Why can't it delete it like it's supposed to when I close Firefox?
>
> All I want is Firefox to start clean upon every invocation.
> Why is that so hard to do?

It is very easy to find. You just didn't look.

Copy this to your Firefox address line:

about:preferences#privacy

Scroll down and check the box that says:

Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9cef1$2tkms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=660&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#660

From: u9536612@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 23:02:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 23:02 UTC

On 2023-07-20, Mighty Wannabe wrote

>> All I want is Firefox to start clean upon every invocation.
>> Why is that so hard to do?
>
> It is very easy to find. You just didn't look.
>
> Copy this to your Firefox address line:
>
> about:preferences#privacy
>
> Scroll down and check the box that says:
>
> Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed

That's a great idea!
But it was done years ago, well before I ever posted this thread.

That's why I said Firefox is lying when it says it will "delete cookies and
site data when Firefox is closed". That's a lie. It leaves the cache data.

For some reason, Firefox is lying about deleting _all_ the data.
However, what I've done since though is follow Paul's suggestion.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
1. Start firefox & go to about:config
2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false

Now the cache will be in RAM instead of on your hard drive.

I haven't fully tested it so I wasn't going to say anything yet, but I'm
just responding to you that it would be great if Firefox told the truth.

But that setting you proposed does not cause Firefox to start clean.
Which, after all, if it did, then this thread would never have been needed.

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<jBkuM.114469$tTKa.30117@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=661&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#661

saved?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: @. (๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 20:48:11 -0400
 by: ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 00:48 UTC

On 7/20/2023 7:02 PM, Incubus wrote:
> On 2023-07-20, Mighty Wannabe wrote
>>> All I want is Firefox to start clean upon every invocation.
>>> Why is that so hard to do?
>>
>> It is very easy to find. You just didn't look.
>>
>> Copy this to your Firefox address line:
>>
>> about:preferences#privacy
>>
>> Scroll down and check the box that says:
>>
>> Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed
>
> That's a great idea!
> But it was done years ago, well before I ever posted this thread.
>
> That's why I said Firefox is lying when it says it will "delete
> cookies and
> site data when Firefox is closed". That's a lie. It leaves the cache
> data.
>
> For some reason, Firefox is lying about deleting _all_ the data.
> However, what I've done since though is follow Paul's suggestion.
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
> 1. Start firefox & go to about:config
> 2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
> 3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false
> Now the cache will be in RAM instead of on your hard drive.
>
> I haven't fully tested it so I wasn't going to say anything yet, but I'm
> just responding to you that it would be great if Firefox told the truth.
>
> But that setting you proposed does not cause Firefox to start clean.
> Which, after all, if it did, then this thread would never have been
> needed.

There might be some antivirus software preventing Firefox from deleting
some files. I have been using the portable version of Firefox for ages.
And I always use the portable versions ofย  all of my favourite software
if I can find them. Some software would offer their own portable
version, usually in a zip file.

Maybe you should give Portable Firefox a shot. This website is very
reliable:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

After you have downloaded the executable file and run it, it will create
a folder with everything required to run Firefox inside the folder.
Nothing is in the Windows Registry. I usually keep all my portable
software in a top-level folder in Drive D. You can make duplicate copies
of the folder. If you want to be extra careful with your online banking,
you can reserve one Portable Firefox folder exclusively for online banking.

You can tell Firefox to clean up everything after you close Firefox, but
some websites will have a lengthy login when they cannot find their
cookie in your browser. You can figure out how to tell Firefox to leave
those specific cookies alone.

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<OmluM.40752$_Wse.15856@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=662&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#662

saved?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: @. (๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 21:40:58 -0400
 by: ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 01:40 UTC

On 7/20/2023 8:48 PM, ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ… wrote:
> On 7/20/2023 7:02 PM, Incubus wrote:
>> On 2023-07-20, Mighty Wannabe wrote
>>>
>>> It is very easy to find. You just didn't look.
>>>
>>> Copy this to your Firefox address line:
>>>
>>> about:preferences#privacy
>>>
>>> Scroll down and check the box that says:
>>>
>>> Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed
>>
>> That's a great idea!
>> But it was done years ago, well before I ever posted this thread.
>>
>> That's why I said Firefox is lying when it says it will "delete
>> cookies and
>> site data when Firefox is closed". That's a lie. It leaves the cache
>> data.
>>
>> For some reason, Firefox is lying about deleting _all_ the data.
>> However, what I've done since though is follow Paul's suggestion.
>>
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>> 1. Start firefox & go to about:config
>> 2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
>> 3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false
>> Now the cache will be in RAM instead of on your hard drive.
>>
>> I haven't fully tested it so I wasn't going to say anything yet, but I'm
>> just responding to you that it would be great if Firefox told the truth.
>>
>> But that setting you proposed does not cause Firefox to start clean.
>> Which, after all, if it did, then this thread would never have been
>> needed.
>

> There might be some antivirus software preventing Firefox from
> deleting some files.

Another possibility is that you have set up your computer with an
Administrator but you log in as a low privilege user so Windows doesn't
let your Firefox delete or change some files. Maybe try to login as
Administrator, or go into Windows to elevate your user privilege.

Please paste this into the address line of your Windows (File) Explorer
and figure out from there. Windows Explorer is the panel you use to
navigate among you folders (directories) and files:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

> I have been using the portable version of Firefox for ages. And I
> always use the portable versions ofย  all of my favourite software if I
> can find them. Some software would offer their own portable version,
> usually in a zip file.
>
> Maybe you should give Portable Firefox a shot. This website is very
> reliable:
>
> https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
>
> After you have downloaded the executable file and run it, it will
> create a folder with everything required to run Firefox inside the
> folder. Nothing is in the Windows Registry. I usually keep all my
> portable software in a top-level folder in Drive D. You can make
> duplicate copies of the folder. If you want to be extra careful with
> your online banking, you can reserve one Portable Firefox folder
> exclusively for online banking.
>
> You can tell Firefox to clean up everything after you close Firefox,
> but some websites will have a lengthy login when they cannot find
> their cookie in your browser. You can figure out how to tell Firefox
> to leave those specific cookies alone.

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9ejgu$3lbj1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=669&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#669

From: u9536612@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:41:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:41 UTC

On 2023-07-21, Mighty Wannabe wrote:
> There might be some antivirus software preventing Firefox from deleting
> some files.

I very much appreciate your help - and your kind advice.

I've been using computers as long as anyone, and, while in the olden days
we all used antivirus programs, nowadays we mostly use Windows Defender.

What's happening to me is exactly what Firefox does so it has nothing to do
with anything other than Firefox doesn't start clean for anyone even when
you set it to do what you had kindly suggested I set Firefox to do.

a. about:preferences#privacy
b. Scroll down and check the box that says:
c. Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed

My point is that Firefox is lying.
Not only to me.

Firefox is lying to you also.
And to everyone else.

It has nothing to do with the antivirus.
It has nothing to do with administrator privileges.

It has everything to do with how Firefox works.
When you set Firefox to start clean, Firefox will never start clean.

That's why I wrote the original post the way I wrote the original post.
I was exasperated by Firefox not doing what Firefox said it would do.

Firefox lied.
The good news is that the settings by Paul help Firefox make amends.

1. Start firefox & go to about:config
2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570

Rest assured I realize Mozilla didn't "lie" but what I mean is that
everyone "thinks" it does what you and I thought it did when you ask it to.

It didn't.

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9ejik$3lbns$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=670&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#670

From: u9536612@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:42:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:42 UTC

On 2023-07-20, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> You can set cache2, to use RAM.
>
> When you exit the browser, the RAM is deallocated and information content is lost.
>
> "Switched browser cache from disk (SSD) to RAM, about:cache still displaying in disk too"
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570

I very much appreciate your help - and your kind advice.
I tested your workaround for two days and it seems to do what is desired.

1. Start firefox & go to about:config
2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570

The good news is that Firefox now starts clean.

1. Start Firefox & go to about:preferences#privacy
2. Press on "Clear Data" in the "Cookies and Site Data" section
3. Now it says there are "0 bytes" for all entries listed

BEFORE moving Firefox cache to RAM:
Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
Cached Web Content (some number of bytes)

AFTER moving Firefox cache to RAM:
Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
Cached Web Content (0 bytes)

I guess the only remaining issue is what is the downside of setting Firefox
to use RAM instead of the hard drive for cache.

Another way of asking that same question is to ask why did the Mozilla
developers choose to save their own personal cache on your hard drive?

Why didn't Firefox default to starting clean when we asked it to do that?

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<MPAuM.122053$L_f2.46596@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=671&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#671

saved?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: @. (๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:15:55 -0400
 by: ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:15 UTC

On 7/21/2023 2:41 PM, Incubus wrote:
> On 2023-07-21, Mighty Wannabe wrote:
>> There might be some antivirus software preventing Firefox from
>> deleting some files.
>
> I very much appreciate your help - and your kind advice.
>
> I've been using computers as long as anyone, and, while in the olden
> days we all used antivirus programs, nowadays we mostly use Windows
> Defender.
>
> What's happening to me is exactly what Firefox does so it has nothing
> to do with anything other than Firefox doesn't start clean for anyone
> even when you set it to do what you had kindly suggested I set Firefox
> to do.
>
> a. about:preferences#privacy
> b. Scroll down and check the box that says:
> c. Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed
>
> My point is that Firefox is lying.
> Not only to me.
>
> Firefox is lying to you also.
> And to everyone else.
>
> It has nothing to do with the antivirus.
> It has nothing to do with administrator privileges.
>
> It has everything to do with how Firefox works.
> When you set Firefox to start clean, Firefox will never start clean.
>
> That's why I wrote the original post the way I wrote the original post.
> I was exasperated by Firefox not doing what Firefox said it would do.
>
> Firefox lied.
> The good news is that the settings by Paul help Firefox make amends.
>
> 1. Start firefox & go to about:config
> 2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
> 3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>
> Rest assured I realize Mozilla didn't "lie" but what I mean is that
> everyone "thinks" it does what you and I thought it did when you ask
> it to.
>
> It didn't.

As I told you, I use the portable version of Firefox. After I have
checked the box against "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is
closed", I close and reopen Firefox, the cookies and site data are
really gone when I check the cookies file.

What don't you try using the portable Firefox and see for yourself?

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<lTAuM.93143$mIIb.43385@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=672&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#672

saved?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: @. (๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:19:43 -0400
 by: ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:19 UTC

On 7/21/2023 2:42 PM, Incubus wrote:
> On 2023-07-20, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>> You can set cache2, to use RAM.
>>
>> When you exit the browser, the RAM is deallocated and information
>> content is lost.
>>
>> "Switched browser cache from disk (SSD) to RAM, about:cache still
>> displaying in disk too"
>>
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>
> I very much appreciate your help - and your kind advice.
> I tested your workaround for two days and it seems to do what is desired.
>
> 1. Start firefox & go to about:config
> 2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
> 3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>
> The good news is that Firefox now starts clean.
>
> 1. Start Firefox & go to about:preferences#privacy
> 2. Press on "Clear Data" in the "Cookies and Site Data" section
> 3. Now it says there are "0 bytes" for all entries listed
>
> BEFORE moving Firefox cache to RAM:
> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
> Cached Web Content (some number of bytes)
>
> AFTER moving Firefox cache to RAM:
> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
> Cached Web Content (0 bytes)
>
> I guess the only remaining issue is what is the downside of setting
> Firefox to use RAM instead of the hard drive for cache.
>
> Another way of asking that same question is to ask why did the Mozilla
> developers choose to save their own personal cache on your hard drive?
>
> Why didn't Firefox default to starting clean when we asked it to do that?

I don't have that problem, If you are one of the few, maybe the problem
is your Windows, not Firefox.

Try Firefox portable and see if your problem persists.

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9g4nc$3olar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=673&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#673

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
saved?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 04:41:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 08:41 UTC

On 7/21/2023 3:19 PM, ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ… wrote:
> On 7/21/2023 2:42 PM, Incubus wrote:
>> On 2023-07-20, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>> You can set cache2, to use RAM.
>>>
>>> When you exit the browser, the RAM is deallocated and information content is lost.
>>>
>>> "Switched browser cache from disk (SSD) to RAM, about:cache still displaying in disk too"
>>>
>>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>>
>> I very much appreciate your help - and your kind advice.
>> I tested your workaround for two days and it seems to do what is desired.
>>
>> 1. Start firefox & go to about:config
>> 2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
>> 3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>>
>> The good news is that Firefox now starts clean.
>>
>> 1. Start Firefox & go to about:preferences#privacy
>> 2. Press on "Clear Data" in the "Cookies and Site Data" section
>> 3. Now it says there are "0 bytes" for all entries listed
>>
>> BEFORE moving Firefox cache to RAM:
>> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
>> Cached Web Content (some number of bytes)
>>
>> AFTER moving Firefox cache to RAM:
>> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
>> Cached Web Content (0 bytes)
>>
>> I guess the only remaining issue is what is the downside of setting Firefox to use RAM instead of the hard drive for cache.
>>
>> Another way of asking that same question is to ask why did the Mozilla developers choose to save their own personal cache on your hard drive?
>>
>> Why didn't Firefox default to starting clean when we asked it to do that?
>
> I don't have that problem, If you are one of the few, maybe the problem is your Windows, not Firefox.
>
> Try Firefox portable and see if your problem persists.

On your Portable, nothing prevents a genius from
adjusting prefs.js or userchrome, before packaging your software.

Just because a software is Portable, does not alter the function
set. All the functions are there. But with programming of preferences,
you can achieve some result, just like setting the stuff by hand.

Paul

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<UvNuM.102355$Vfvc.10043@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=674&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#674

saved?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
From: @. (๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ…)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 05:42:09 -0400
 by: ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 09:42 UTC

On 7/22/2023 4:41 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 7/21/2023 3:19 PM, ๐Ÿ˜Ž Mighty Wannabe โœ… wrote:

>>> I very much appreciate your help - and your kind advice.
>>> I tested your workaround for two days and it seems to do what is desired.
>>>
>>> 1. Start firefox & go to about:config
>>> 2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
>>> 3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>>>
>>> The good news is that Firefox now starts clean.
>>>
>>> 1. Start Firefox & go to about:preferences#privacy
>>> 2. Press on "Clear Data" in the "Cookies and Site Data" section
>>> 3. Now it says there are "0 bytes" for all entries listed
>>>
>>> BEFORE moving Firefox cache to RAM:
>>> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
>>> Cached Web Content (some number of bytes)
>>>
>>> AFTER moving Firefox cache to RAM:
>>> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
>>> Cached Web Content (0 bytes)
>>>
>>> I guess the only remaining issue is what is the downside of setting Firefox to use RAM instead of the hard drive for cache.
>>>
>>> Another way of asking that same question is to ask why did the Mozilla developers choose to save their own personal cache on your hard drive?
>>>
>>> Why didn't Firefox default to starting clean when we asked it to do that?
>> I don't have that problem, If you are one of the few, maybe the problem is your Windows, not Firefox.
>>
>> Try Firefox portable and see if your problem persists.
> On your Portable, nothing prevents a genius from
> adjusting prefs.js or userchrome, before packaging your software.
>
> Just because a software is Portable, does not alter the function
> set. All the functions are there. But with programming of preferences,
> you can achieve some result, just like setting the stuff by hand.
>
> Paul

This website has been package population apps into a single file folder
that can be moved around in the computer or to another computer via a
USB flash drive, or even run from the cloud. It has tweaked the original
apps so that nothing is written to the Windows Registry, and all the
data are stored in the same folder. When it runs, it functions exactly
the same way, and you can change the settings and parameters exactly the
same way. Besides FireFox, my ThunderBird and SeaMonkey are all portable
apps:

Portable Firefox:
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

This is a list of all the portable apps this website has created from
the original apps (legally)
https://portableapps.com/apps

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<u9jnqd$aa4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=675&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#675

From: u9536612@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:25:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:25 UTC

On 2023-07-22, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On your Portable, nothing prevents a genius from
> adjusting prefs.js or userchrome, before packaging your software.

I appreciate the help from the mighty wannabe and others but he's just
wrong that the portable Firefox works different in this cache situation.

The only reason others haven't noticed this problem is just that they don't
try to start Firefox clean. They probably save all sorts of logins & stuff.

That's why I said Firefox lied when you set Firefox to start clean.
Firefox will NOT start clean.

Unless.....

Unless you set the settings that you suggested we set.
1. Use the normal methods to set Firefox to start clean
2. It won't.
a. Start Firefox & go to about:preferences#privacy
b. Press on "Clear Data" in the "Cookies and Site Data" section
c. Firefox will NEVER say "0 bytes" for all entries listed
3. Use the method you suggested to help Firefox start clean.
4. It will.
a. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
b. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false

The problem is solved.

The takeaway is that NOBODY can get Firefox to start clean.
If they don't set those two additional cache-related switches.

Anyone who says they can get Firefox to start clean who has not set those
switches is misinformed - because it's not possible any other way (AFAIK).

Thank you!

Re: Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?

<s_CdnS4r1cRFWSD5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=676&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#676

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!tr3.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.27.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:24:56 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 00:24 UTC

On 7/21/23 14:42, Incubus wrote:
> On 2023-07-20, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>> You can set cache2, to use RAM.
>>
>> When you exit the browser, the RAM is deallocated and information
>> content is lost.
>>
>> "Switched browser cache from disk (SSD) to RAM, about:cache still
>> displaying in disk too"
>>
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>
> I very much appreciate your help - and your kind advice.
> I tested your workaround for two days and it seems to do what is desired.
>
> 1. Start firefox & go to about:config
> 2. Change "browser.cache.disk.enable" from true to false
> 3. Change "browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" from true to false
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1313570
>
> The good news is that Firefox now starts clean.
>
> 1. Start Firefox & go to about:preferences#privacy
> 2. Press on "Clear Data" in the "Cookies and Site Data" section
> 3. Now it says there are "0 bytes" for all entries listed
>
> BEFORE moving Firefox cache to RAM:
> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
> Cached Web Content (some number of bytes)
>
> AFTER moving Firefox cache to RAM:
> Cookies and Site Data (0 bytes)
> Cached Web Content (0 bytes)
>
> I guess the only remaining issue is what is the downside of setting
> Firefox to use RAM instead of the hard drive for cache.
>
> Another way of asking that same question is to ask why did the Mozilla
> developers choose to save their own personal cache on your hard drive?
>
> Why didn't Firefox default to starting clean when we asked it to do that?

{non FF NG's removed}

good questions

my 2 cents says defaults should always protect privacy and let stupid
users override them if they want to

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Why does Firefox insist on hiding from me what it's saying it saved?