From: makowiec@invalid.invalid (Joe Makowiec)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Up and Running on Win10
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:05:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Makowiec - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:05 UTC

I lived in hopes that this Win7 desktop would live forever - or at
least outlive me - and that my circumstances would permit me to always
be close enough to it that I wouldn't have to move my email off of it.

Alas, it was not to be. I need to be some distance away for an extended
period of time, so I have to transfer my whole email life over to a
Win10 laptop. Fortuantely, I still have my Eudora 7.1.0.9 install file
- I think the one with the x1 search. So I copied it over to the Win10
machine and logged into my administrator account. And wouldn't you
know, I tried three or four times to click on it to install. An
obnoxious red popup came up to tell me that Windows was protectecting
me from myself, and why did I want to install it anyway? Being a slow
learner, but not that slow, I headed over to my favorite search engine,
which suggested several methods, including right-clicking on it,
accessing "Properties" and unchecking the "Don't ever, ever run this
file" box, which wasn't present anyway.

The one which wound up working was to use [Windows key]-X and looking
for Power Shell (Admin). Run the Eudora setup file in that command
line. Eudora setup popped right up and ran with no issues. Next step
was to move the Hermes files* into the Eudora program directory. Three
minutes later I was logging out of the admin account and back into my
regular account. Hermes includes a Visual C++ runtime installer,
vcredist.exe. It wouldn't let me install in on Win10, because there was
already a newer version on the machine.

I had set up a test email account on the server (which I admin). It
uses a Let's Encrypt certificate. I had two tweaks I had to make:
- on the Incoming Mail side of the Account properties, I had to change
the Secure Sockets setting to "Required, Alternate Port"
- Apparently even with Hermes, some of the certificates in the Let's
Encrypt chain were untrusted, so I had to go into the certificate
manager and trust them.

Other than that, Eudora started right up, and I was able to send and
receive mail from the test account. I'm so happy! I have long had my
email in its own isolated directory so it should be easy enough to
move, other then the size of it. Next to see how the new install reacts
to my quarter century of accumulated cruft.

* https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Re: Up and Running on Win10

<d2714bc6-3e22-4087-ad30-eaa8bc61ae66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=629&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#629

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 00:56:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Up and Running on Win10
From: gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com (gnuarm.del...@gmail.com)
 by: gnuarm.del...@gmail. - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 07:56 UTC

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 3:05:47 PM UTC-4, Joe Makowiec wrote:
> I lived in hopes that this Win7 desktop would live forever - or at
> least outlive me - and that my circumstances would permit me to always
> be close enough to it that I wouldn't have to move my email off of it.
>
> Alas, it was not to be. I need to be some distance away for an extended
> period of time, so I have to transfer my whole email life over to a
> Win10 laptop. Fortuantely, I still have my Eudora 7.1.0.9 install file
> - I think the one with the x1 search. So I copied it over to the Win10
> machine and logged into my administrator account. And wouldn't you
> know, I tried three or four times to click on it to install. An
> obnoxious red popup came up to tell me that Windows was protectecting
> me from myself, and why did I want to install it anyway? Being a slow
> learner, but not that slow, I headed over to my favorite search engine,
> which suggested several methods, including right-clicking on it,
> accessing "Properties" and unchecking the "Don't ever, ever run this
> file" box, which wasn't present anyway.
>
> The one which wound up working was to use [Windows key]-X and looking
> for Power Shell (Admin). Run the Eudora setup file in that command
> line. Eudora setup popped right up and ran with no issues. Next step
> was to move the Hermes files* into the Eudora program directory. Three
> minutes later I was logging out of the admin account and back into my
> regular account. Hermes includes a Visual C++ runtime installer,
> vcredist.exe. It wouldn't let me install in on Win10, because there was
> already a newer version on the machine.
>
> I had set up a test email account on the server (which I admin). It
> uses a Let's Encrypt certificate. I had two tweaks I had to make:
> - on the Incoming Mail side of the Account properties, I had to change
> the Secure Sockets setting to "Required, Alternate Port"
> - Apparently even with Hermes, some of the certificates in the Let's
> Encrypt chain were untrusted, so I had to go into the certificate
> manager and trust them.
>
> Other than that, Eudora started right up, and I was able to send and
> receive mail from the test account. I'm so happy! I have long had my
> email in its own isolated directory so it should be easy enough to
> move, other then the size of it. Next to see how the new install reacts
> to my quarter century of accumulated cruft.
>
> * https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/

Congrats!

--

Rick C.

+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Up and Running on Win10

<XnsB04715C3B630AmakowiecatnycapdotrE@95.217.65.137>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=630&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#630

From: makowiec@invalid.invalid (Joe Makowiec)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 06:08:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Makowiec - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 06:08 UTC

On 11 Jul 2023 in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, Joe Makowiec wrote:

> Other than that, Eudora started right up, and I was able to send and
> receive mail from the test account. I'm so happy! I have long had my
> email in its own isolated directory so it should be easy enough to
> move, other then the size of it. Next to see how the new install
> reacts to my quarter century of accumulated cruft.

Following up my own post: I'm up and running. For some reason, any
mailbox when it's minimized is three lines high. It's annoying but
livable.

One thing it took me a week or so to drop to: in the program directory,
there's a subdirectory called "extrastuff". There are two files in
there which might be of interest:
- EudoraOldIcons.epi
- esoteric.epi
To use them, copy them from the extrastuff directory to the main
program directory.

The first restores the look of Eudora to Eudora 5 level. If you think
that Eudora looks awful in the out-of-the-box install, you may want to
use this one and get the original look back.

The second adds some additional choices to the Tools > Options window.
I'm not sure what they are, but I may have tweaked something at some
point.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

Re: Up and Running on Win10

<42663bfd-b6e4-4b08-a773-6d61e8f9122an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=631&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#631

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:07:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: inpuneet@gmail.com (inpu...@gmail.com)
 by: inpu...@gmail.com - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 17:07 UTC

On Thursday, 20 July 2023 at 11:38:24 UTC+5:30, Joe Makowiec wrote:
> On 11 Jul 2023 in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, Joe Makowiec wrote:
>
> > Other than that, Eudora started right up, and I was able to send and
> > receive mail from the test account. I'm so happy! I have long had my
> > email in its own isolated directory so it should be easy enough to
> > move, other then the size of it. Next to see how the new install
> > reacts to my quarter century of accumulated cruft.
> Following up my own post: I'm up and running. For some reason, any
> mailbox when it's minimized is three lines high. It's annoying but
> livable.
>
> One thing it took me a week or so to drop to: in the program directory,
> there's a subdirectory called "extrastuff". There are two files in
> there which might be of interest:
> - EudoraOldIcons.epi
> - esoteric.epi
> To use them, copy them from the extrastuff directory to the main
> program directory.
>
> The first restores the look of Eudora to Eudora 5 level. If you think
> that Eudora looks awful in the out-of-the-box install, you may want to
> use this one and get the original look back.
>
> The second adds some additional choices to the Tools > Options window.
> I'm not sure what they are, but I may have tweaked something at some
> point.
> --
> Joe Makowiec
> http://makowiec.org/
> Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
> Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Eudora works fine with Windows 7

Re: Up and Running on Win10

<ud38l8$14isi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=637&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#637

From: dk@no.email.thankstospam.net (DK)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 00:33:43 GMT
 by: DK - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 00:33 UTC

In article <XnsB03E998F46124makowiecatnycapdotrE@95.217.65.137>, Joe Makowiec <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>I lived in hopes that this Win7 desktop would live forever - or at
>least outlive me - and that my circumstances would permit me to always
>be close enough to it that I wouldn't have to move my email off of it.

Much to my surprise, Eudora 6.2 transferred conpletely intact from
WinXP to Win10 - just copied all folders, replaced QCSSL.dll to the
one patched for Win7-10 and that's it. Everything continued to work
just fine. No install, no new tweaks.

DK