Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space.

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Booting hangs after name ans password entered

SubjectAuthor
* Booting hangs after name ans password enteredWilliam Unruh
+* Re: Booting hangs after name ans password enteredBobbie Sellers
|`* Re: Booting hangs after name ans password enteredWilliam Unruh
| `* Re: Booting hangs after name ans password enteredDavid W. Hodgins
|  `* Re: Booting hangs after name ans password enteredWilliam Unruh
|   `- Re: Booting hangs after name ans password enteredDavid W. Hodgins
`- Re: Booting hangs after name ans password enteredfaeychild

1
Booting hangs after name ans password entered

<uutdb4$2khfl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6225&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6225

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Booting hangs after name ans password entered
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 06:09:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 06:09 UTC

Running Mga9, Plasma, with startKDE. When I log in nothing happens and
the screen is frozen and never starts up Plasma. If I open a terminal
(AC-F2) and log in as myself, and run startx -- :2 everything works. If
I make a test user and log in as test user and enter the name and
password, everything works. This is a system in which my home directory
was taken over from Mga8. Clearly something is wrongly set up. ( and it
was working a few months ago). Where do I start looking for the
potential misconfiguration. There are 80GB in my home directory so I
certainly cannot look through everywhere. I cannot see any problem in my
journalctl -b
or in /var/log/{messages,syslog}
Any suggestions welcome

Re: Booting hangs after name ans password entered

<uuucok$2rf35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6228&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6228

From: bliss-sf4ever@dslextreme.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Booting hangs after name ans password entered
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 08:05:56 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:05 UTC

On 4/6/24 23:09, William Unruh wrote:
> Running Mga9, Plasma, with startKDE. When I log in nothing happens and
> the screen is frozen and never starts up Plasma. If I open a terminal
> (AC-F2) and log in as myself, and run startx -- :2 everything works. If
> I make a test user and log in as test user and enter the name and
> password, everything works. This is a system in which my home directory
> was taken over from Mga8. Clearly something is wrongly set up. ( and it
> was working a few months ago). Where do I start looking for the
> potential misconfiguration. There are 80GB in my home directory so I
> certainly cannot look through everywhere. I cannot see any problem in my
> journalctl -b
> or in /var/log/{messages,syslog}
> Any suggestions welcome

I would check your user id number and see if it has been changed
from Mageia 8. If you confirm that this is the case then use chown to
regain access to /home/username. Make sure that your test user has
the a different level of id number. A lot of folks with PCLinuxOS
reported similar problems when the id number assigned to the user
changed from 500 to 1000.

Good luck.
bliss

--
bliss dash SF four ever at dsl extreme dot com

Re: Booting hangs after name ans password entered

<uuv83f$31puv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6232&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6232

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:52:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:52 UTC

On 2024-04-07, Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/24 23:09, William Unruh wrote:
>> Running Mga9, Plasma, with startKDE. When I log in nothing happens and
>> the screen is frozen and never starts up Plasma. If I open a terminal
>> (AC-F2) and log in as myself, and run startx -- :2 everything works. If
>> I make a test user and log in as test user and enter the name and
>> password, everything works. This is a system in which my home directory
>> was taken over from Mga8. Clearly something is wrongly set up. ( and it
>> was working a few months ago). Where do I start looking for the
>> potential misconfiguration. There are 80GB in my home directory so I
>> certainly cannot look through everywhere. I cannot see any problem in my
>> journalctl -b
>> or in /var/log/{messages,syslog}
>> Any suggestions welcome
>
> I would check your user id number and see if it has been changed
> from Mageia 8. If you confirm that this is the case then use chown to
> regain access to /home/username. Make sure that your test user has
> the a different level of id number. A lot of folks with PCLinuxOS
> reported similar problems when the id number assigned to the user
> changed from 500 to 1000.

Thanks. But nope. Same uid. And as I said doing
startx -- :2
from a console and Plasma comes up fine.

So, it's something between the login on the SDDM display manager and the
system trying to open the Plasma display. Unfortunately there is no
console at that point-- sddm covers it up with its own useless display.

Re: Booting hangs after name ans password entered

<op.2lvstinda3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6233&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6233

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 19:28:20 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 23:28 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 18:52:31 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> So, it's something between the login on the SDDM display manager and the
> system trying to open the Plasma display. Unfortunately there is no
> console at that point-- sddm covers it up with its own useless display.

Until the cause can be found, try switching to another dm such as xdm.

Install the xdm package, and then use mcc to switch which dm is used.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Booting hangs after name ans password entered

<uuvccn$32rhi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6234&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6234

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:05:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:05 UTC

On 2024-04-07, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 18:52:31 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>> So, it's something between the login on the SDDM display manager and the
>> system trying to open the Plasma display. Unfortunately there is no
>> console at that point-- sddm covers it up with its own useless display.
>
> Until the cause can be found, try switching to another dm such as xdm.
>
> Install the xdm package, and then use mcc to switch which dm is used.

Is htere any way of getting at it from the console mcc rather than the
gui mc?

> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Booting hangs after name ans password entered

<op.2lvu4u0da3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6235&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6235

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 20:18:20 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:18 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 20:05:43 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2024-04-07, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 18:52:31 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>>> So, it's something between the login on the SDDM display manager and the
>>> system trying to open the Plasma display. Unfortunately there is no
>>> console at that point-- sddm covers it up with its own useless display.
>>
>> Until the cause can be found, try switching to another dm such as xdm.
>>
>> Install the xdm package, and then use mcc to switch which dm is used.
>
> Is htere any way of getting at it from the console mcc rather than the
> gui mc?

You indicated startx was working, so why not run it from plasma?

If you want to run it from a console, use "su -" to switch to root and then
run drakdm. Use the tab key to switch between the buttons/list, and up/down
cursor keys to switch items within the list. Once xdm is highlighted, use
the tab key again to get to the ok button and press the enter key.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Booting hangs after name ans password entered

<uuvom0$392ug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6236&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6236

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:35:25 +1000
 by: faeychild - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:35 UTC

On 7/4/24 16:09, William Unruh wrote:
> Running Mga9, Plasma, with startKDE. When I log in nothing happens and
> the screen is frozen and never starts up Plasma. If I open a terminal
> (AC-F2) and log in as myself, and run startx -- :2 everything works. If
> I make a test user and log in as test user and enter the name and
> password, everything works. This is a system in which my home directory
> was taken over from Mga8. Clearly something is wrongly set up. ( and it
> was working a few months ago). Where do I start looking for the
> potential misconfiguration. There are 80GB in my home directory so I
> certainly cannot look through everywhere. I cannot see any problem in my
> journalctl -b
> or in /var/log/{messages,syslog}
> Any suggestions welcome

Speaking from recent ghastly experiences
As a last resort I backed up: $HOME (.config .cache .local) and delete
the originals, then reboot. I got away with it

I was also recently gazumped by a full $HOME partition

--
faeychild
Running kde on 6.6.22-desktop-1.mga9 kernel.