7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

devel / comp.unix.shell / Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

SubjectAuthor
* Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors duringhongy...@gmail.com
+* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
|`* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
| +* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the loKees Nuyt
| |+- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
| |`* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
| | +* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the loKees Nuyt
| | |`- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
| | `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
| |  `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the loKees Nuyt
| |   `- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
| `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
|  +* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|  |+* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
|  ||+* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|  |||`* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
|  ||| `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|  |||  `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
|  |||   `- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|  ||`- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the loJerry Peters
|  |`- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJanis Papanagnou
|  `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|   `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
|    +- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|    `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|     `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsBit Twister
|      `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorshongy...@gmail.com
|       `* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
|        +- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
|        `- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
+* Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
|`- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
+- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
+- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q
`- Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errorsJalen Q

Pages:12
Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<slrntuur3f.6098.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6016&group=comp.unix.shell#6016

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors
during the logging process.
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 06:00:43 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:00 UTC

On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 22:27:14 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 10:25:47 AM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:

>> > According to the above suggestions, I conducted the following test:
>> >
>> > werner@X10DAi:~$ sudo useradd test
>> > werner@X10DAi:~$ sudo passwd test # Set the pw as: asdf1234
>> > werner@X10DAi:~$ sudo usermod -d /home/test -s /bin/bash test
>> > werner@X10DAi:~$ sudo mkdir /home/test
>> >
>> > # This time, the problem discussed here doesn't appear again:
>> > werner@X10DAi:~$ su - test
>> > Password:
>> > test@X10DAi:~$
>> >
>> > So, I tried to login back as follows and the problem appeared once more:
>> >
>> > test@X10DAi:~$ su - werner
>> > Password:
>> > terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
>> > what(): Failed to create dbus connection
>> > xhost: unable to open display ""
>> > dirname: invalid option -- 'b'
>> > Try 'dirname --help' for more information.
>> > readlink: invalid option -- 'b'
>> > Try 'readlink --help' for more information.
>> >su - werner
>> > Any tips for further debugging?
>> if su - test works and su - werner failed
>> then some script executed by werner login is failing.
>>
>> No idea why
>>
>> Message about dirname and readlink aught to be fixed.
>>
>> Apparently you are running some script executing those instructions that
>> test does not execute.
>>
>> By the way, after spending years as an maintenance programmer I found it beneficial
>> to fix any errors I find even if I believe they have no bearing on the problem
>> I am trying to fix.
>>
>> For your xhost problem I would need to see the xhost command. Looking through my
>> host xx__local.sh script I have
>> # grep xhost xx__local.sh
>> /local/bin/set_xhost +"$(hostname --fqdn)"
>> /local/bin/set_xhost +localhost >
>> xhost +local:docker
>>
>> You may want to consider install/using shellcheck to check your scripts.
>
> I wonder whether there is a similar but targeting for generating detail debug messages of startup scripts (profile, .bashrc, etc...).

For debugging a script I use
script -c "bash -x script_to_debug_here" a.log

As for login scripts which I need to see when something changed modified
/etc/profile to check if $HOME/debug is executable and if so run it.
Test is before/after each login script. Example snippet from /etc/profile
follows"

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh /etc/profile.d/sh.local ; do
if [ -r "$i" ]; then
if [ "${-#*i}" != "$-" ]; then
if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
. $HOME/debug "starting $i "
fi
. "$i"
if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
. $HOME/debug "finished $i "
fi
else
if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
. $HOME/debug "starting $i "
fi
. "$i" >/dev/null
if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
. $HOME/debug "finished $i "
fi
fi
fi
done

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<6975b551-5e05-400f-b907-9c99c07178b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6019&group=comp.unix.shell#6019

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 07:41:02 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: hongyi.zhao@gmail.com (hongy...@gmail.com)
 by: hongy...@gmail.com - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:41 UTC

On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 8:00:53 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 22:27:14 -0800 (PST), hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> if su - test works and su - werner failed
> >> then some script executed by werner login is failing.
> >>
> >> No idea why
> >>
> >> Message about dirname and readlink aught to be fixed.
> >>
> >> Apparently you are running some script executing those instructions that
> >> test does not execute.
> >>
> >> By the way, after spending years as an maintenance programmer I found it beneficial
> >> to fix any errors I find even if I believe they have no bearing on the problem
> >> I am trying to fix.
> >>
> >> For your xhost problem I would need to see the xhost command. Looking through my
> >> host xx__local.sh script I have
> >> # grep xhost xx__local.sh
> >> /local/bin/set_xhost +"$(hostname --fqdn)"
> >> /local/bin/set_xhost +localhost >
> >> xhost +local:docker
> >>
> >> You may want to consider install/using shellcheck to check your scripts.
> >
> > I wonder whether there is a similar but targeting for generating detail debug messages of startup scripts (profile, .bashrc, etc...).
> For debugging a script I use
> script -c "bash -x script_to_debug_here" a.log
>
> As for login scripts which I need to see when something changed modified
> /etc/profile to check if $HOME/debug is executable and if so run it.
> Test is before/after each login script. Example snippet from /etc/profile
> follows"
>

> for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh /etc/profile.d/sh.local ; do
> if [ -r "$i" ]; then
> if [ "${-#*i}" != "$-" ]; then
> if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> fi
> . "$i"
> if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> fi
> else
> if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> fi
> . "$i" >/dev/null
> if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> fi
> fi
> fi
> done

Nice idea. Thank you very much again. I will try to follow your prompts for further inspection and testing.

Regards,
Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<aa892316-6ef1-4cf1-bbbf-c858ac077f73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6052&group=comp.unix.shell#6052

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 12:53:37 -0800 (PST)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:53 UTC

On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:41:06 AM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 8:00:53 PM UTC+8, Bit Twister wrote:

> > > I wonder whether there is a similar but targeting for generating detail debug messages of startup scripts (profile, .bashrc, etc...).
> > For debugging a script I use
> > script -c "bash -x script_to_debug_here" a.log
> >
> > As for login scripts which I need to see when something changed modified
> > /etc/profile to check if $HOME/debug is executable and if so run it.
> > Test is before/after each login script. Example snippet from /etc/profile
> > follows"
> >

> > for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh /etc/profile.d/sh.local ; do
> > if [ -r "$i" ]; then
> > if [ "${-#*i}" != "$-" ]; then
> > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > fi
> > . "$i"
> > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > fi
> > else
> > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > fi
> > . "$i" >/dev/null
> > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > fi
> > fi
> > fi
> > done
> Nice idea. Thank you very much again. I will try to follow your prompts for further inspection and testing.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao
feeeeresrsdrdcv

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<66555d57-f849-409d-becd-c10b22eb55f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6071&group=comp.unix.shell#6071

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 02:43 UTC

On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 2:53:40 PM UTC-6, Jalen Q wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:41:06 AM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > For debugging a script I use
> > > script -c "bash -x script_to_debug_here" a.log
> > >
> > > As for login scripts which I need to see when something changed modified
> > > /etc/profile to check if $HOME/debug is executable and if so run it.
> > > Test is before/after each login script. Example snippet from /etc/profile
> > > follows"
> > >

> > > for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh /etc/profile.d/sh.local ; do
> > > if [ -r "$i" ]; then
> > > if [ "${-#*i}" != "$-" ]; then
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i"
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > else
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i" >/dev/null
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > done
> > Nice idea. Thank you very much again. I will try to follow your prompts for further inspection and testing.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Zhao
> feeeeresrsdrdcv
cddffdfdfd

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<f505f52d-a3e4-4ff1-8d96-d3cb3e3a3dfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6072&group=comp.unix.shell#6072

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:43:58 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 02:43 UTC

On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 2:53:40 PM UTC-6, Jalen Q wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:41:06 AM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > For debugging a script I use
> > > script -c "bash -x script_to_debug_here" a.log
> > >
> > > As for login scripts which I need to see when something changed modified
> > > /etc/profile to check if $HOME/debug is executable and if so run it.
> > > Test is before/after each login script. Example snippet from /etc/profile
> > > follows"
> > >

> > > for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh /etc/profile.d/sh.local ; do
> > > if [ -r "$i" ]; then
> > > if [ "${-#*i}" != "$-" ]; then
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i"
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > else
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "starting $i "
> > > fi
> > > . "$i" >/dev/null
> > > if [ -x $HOME/debug ] ; then
> > > . $HOME/debug "finished $i "
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > fi
> > > done
> > Nice idea. Thank you very much again. I will try to follow your prompts for further inspection and testing.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Zhao
> feeeeresrsdrdcv

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<909f8bf7-42e6-4b43-b037-a74987697b99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6096&group=comp.unix.shell#6096

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 00:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:15 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhaorffrfrrfrfrfrfrfrfrffrfr

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<522d08b3-8e6f-4433-a48f-1b4d1e3105b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6097&group=comp.unix.shell#6097

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 00:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:16 UTC

On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 2:15:20 AM UTC-5, Jalen Q wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi here,
> >
> > For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
> >
> > I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Zhaorffrfrrfrfrfrfrfrfrffrfr

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<adda2df9-0311-4904-aafb-be7c9ea3ed7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6103&group=comp.unix.shell#6103

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:20 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<0b064d43-eabf-490b-8878-9664270c9903n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6104&group=comp.unix.shell#6104

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:20:31 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:20 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao
gttttfftftftfggyygytytyttggggttggttgtgtgt66666666676ttyyyuy

Re: Save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process.

<08a76e4a-bc94-409c-97f3-a121ceb1b410n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6210&group=comp.unix.shell#6210

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 14:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
during the logging process.
From: jalenq81@gmail.com (Jalen Q)
 by: Jalen Q - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:15 UTC

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 10:28:34 PM UTC-6, hongy...@gmail..com wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> For Linux desktop login, say, Gnome, with the bash as the default shell, is there a method to save all the detailed sourced files information and the errors during the logging process?
>
> I often encounter strange phenomena and problems in login, but I don't know where they come from. Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao
fffdtdfdfrrrdrdtdtttffrfrf