From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Vanishing Mail Notification
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:36:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:36 UTC

For some reason my newest install doesn't
precede prompts with "You have new mail in /var/mail/le"
as appropriate.
What turns this on or off?

("You have new mail" still appears on login).

-=-=-

Re: Vanishing Mail Notification

<445xxbcwgp.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=622&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#622

From: lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org (Lowell Gilbert)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Vanishing Mail Notification
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:32:06 -0400
sha1:e4LrKsgUDcZxJ7Bu3xhA4JD0VpQ=
 by: Lowell Gilbert - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 18:32 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> writes:

> For some reason my newest install doesn't
> precede prompts with "You have new mail in /var/mail/le"
> as appropriate.
> What turns this on or off?

That's a feature of the shell. [I don't recall ever running into any
other way to do it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone,
somewhere, had done it a different way.]

> ("You have new mail" still appears on login).

Oh, right. *That* would be an example of a different way, kind of.
That is driven by login.conf(5), and is not shell functionality. I
don't have the sources mounted, but offhand I'm pretty sure it's
implemented somewhere in the pam libraries or the login program.

So, all flippancy aside: how it's done depends on your shell.
However, the change in behavior may come from changes in environment
variables inherited by the shell, so the shell itself may not be the
thing that changed.

Be well.
--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

Re: Vanishing Mail Notification

<ydjzlqhm6q.fsf@UBEblock.psr.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=623&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#623

From: wbe@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid (Winston)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 02:15:09 -0400
 by: Winston - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 06:15 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> writes:
> For some reason my newest install doesn't
> precede prompts with "You have new mail in /var/mail/le"
> as appropriate.
> What turns this on or off?

> ("You have new mail" still appears on login).

Your shell usually does that, and the answer would depend on which type
of shell you use. man {your shell} and search for mail.

For sh-type shells, I think just setting the environment variable MAIL
is enough to have it check the mailbox.

For csh-type shells, there's setenv mail your-mailbox, but also look at
the special aliases "periodic", "tperiod", "precmd", and "postcmd".
Of the special aliases, check precmd and tperiod first.
-WBE