She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n! The batteries are dead!

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

SubjectAuthor
* Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
+* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateFrank
|`* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
| `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateMatija Nalis
|  +* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |+* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateMatija Nalis
|  ||`- Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |`* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  | `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |  `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  |   `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |    `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  |     +* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |     |`* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |     | +* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  |     | |`* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |     | | `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  |     | |  `- Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |     | `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |     |  `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  |     |   `- Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |     `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |      `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  |       +- Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |       `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |        `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  |         `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
|  |          `- Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|  `* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
|   `- Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli
`* Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateJulien ÉLIE
 `- Re: Renumber newsgroups by post dateEli

Pages:12
Renumber newsgroups by post date

<7Qb1M.3786652$nwq3.3523857@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=605&group=news.admin.peering#605

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Renumber newsgroups by post date
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 15:06:43 GMT
 by: Eli - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 15:06 UTC

How can I best renumber the article numbers of all newsgroups, sorted by post
date.

Julien's FAQ states that sorting the history file can be done with the
following command:

sort -t '~' -k3n <history > history.sorted

But it is probably not enough to replace the history file with the sorted file
after this, as this does not affect the overview data.

Or should this be done via news.daily, such as:

news.daily delayrm lowmark expireover expireoverflags="-p -e" flags="-p"

I use tradeindexed.

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<20230423160822.Aq0OKbfG2jj0@sewer.dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=606&group=news.admin.peering#606

Subject: Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date
From: franky@xxx.yyy (Frank)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 16:08:22 -0000
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
 by: Frank - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 16:08 UTC

Eli:

> How can I best renumber the article numbers of all newsgroups, sorted by post
> date.

Why?! Renumbering articles is generally a bad idea. Newsreaders rely on
them to tell what's new and what to mark as read.

If a server renumbers its articles, its readers would need to throw out
their newsrc and show everything as unread.

> Can someone help me with this?

- stop accepting articles on the existing server
- make a sorted list of storage tokens (you'll probably need to write a
script for this. loop over the history and make a list of tokens and their
posting date, then sort it)
- set up a new empty server
- use the sorted list to feed articles into the new server
- swap servers
- start accepting articles again

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<l8N1M.4640532$miq3.438385@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=609&group=news.admin.peering#609

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:34:09 GMT
 by: Eli - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:34 UTC

On 23 Apr 2023 at 18:08:22 CEST, "Frank" <franky@xxx.yyy> wrote:

> Eli:
>
>> How can I best renumber the article numbers of all newsgroups, sorted by post
>> date.
>
> Why?! Renumbering articles is generally a bad idea. Newsreaders rely on
> them to tell what's new and what to mark as read.
>
> If a server renumbers its articles, its readers would need to throw out
> their newsrc and show everything as unread.

It is a new server and has no readers yet, so that isn't a problem.

>> Can someone help me with this?
>
> - stop accepting articles on the existing server
> - make a sorted list of storage tokens (you'll probably need to write a
> script for this. loop over the history and make a list of tokens and their
> posting date, then sort it)
> - set up a new empty server
> - use the sorted list to feed articles into the new server
> - swap servers
> - start accepting articles again

With 300,000,000 articles, the server is quite large and transferring these
articles to another server over a single connection takes forever.

Sorting the history file by post date is no problem, but is it possible to
rebuild the overview databases based on this sorted history file?

Perhaps this is more of a question for Julien to answer?

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<slrnu4nhfu.t0i.mnalis-news@leia.home.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=614&group=news.admin.peering#614

From: mnalis-news@voyager.hr (Matija Nalis)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:11:26 +0200
Sender: mnalis@public.hr
 by: Matija Nalis - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 13:11 UTC

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:34:09 GMT, Eli <eliistheman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2023 at 18:08:22 CEST, "Frank" <franky@xxx.yyy> wrote:
>> If a server renumbers its articles, its readers would need to throw out
>> their newsrc and show everything as unread.
>
> It is a new server and has no readers yet, so that isn't a problem.

I don't think sorting the history file will help in your case.

IIRC (but it has been some time, so take this with a grain of salt), in
tradspool, each newsgroup is a separate directory, and each message is
stored in separate file, whose filename is the number of the article.

So e.g. /var/spool/inn2/news/admin/peering/1234 will be a name of file for
message number 1234 in `news.admin.peering`. Message 1233 in the file with
same name would be message shown before it, and 1235 message after it. If
you want them to be in chronological order (so `article 1233` with show
OLDER message then `article 1234`), you'll need to rename those files in
such order.

So if you do not want to involve another server; to do such renumber,
one would need to (hopefully I'm not forgetting important step):

- stop/pause inn
- for each group, rename files so their numbers sequentially follow the
chronological order of `Date` headers in their content (you might need
to write a relatively simple script for that; I don't know if any exist
already)
- do "ctlinnd renumber ''" to update active file with new low/high watermarks
- rm old tradindexed overviews (just to be safe) & force tradindexed
overview rebuild from scratch for each group.

In it's most simple case, Note that due to need to open & parse at least
dozen lines from each of 300M files, and then do sort & mass-rename and
finally to rebuild overviews, it will likely also take significant time.

Depending on the underlying storage you might be able to gain speed
increase via parallelizing this process by processing multiple groups at
the same time. Or you might not (e.g. in HDD case, it is quite possible
that disk thrashing would make it much slower instead if you try to
parallelize)

In more advanced case (e.g. if your overview records are fine and not
suspect; you could probably parse them instead of article files to gain
speedup; that might make the script more complicated, though)

>> - use the sorted list to feed articles into the new server
>
> With 300,000,000 articles, the server is quite large and transferring these
> articles to another server over a single connection takes forever.

Usin other server is the alternative, yes. You can run it in parallel over
multiple connections, but only per-group parallelism (not at article
level!).

I.e. you must feed all articles in news.admin.peering sequentially in
wanted chronological order, but you can feed news.software.nntp (and any
number of other groups) at the same time (but articles in each group must
be fed sequentially). Using CNFS on new server might make it faster too
(but it has its own quirks to be aware of).

> Sorting the history file by post date is no problem, but is it possible to
> rebuild the overview databases based on this sorted history file?

history file is used to detect duplicate articles when receiving them so
they can be promptly refused. If is AFAIR not exposed to users otherwise.

What is shown to NNRP users IIRC depends on per-group overview databases
(tradindexed in your case?) e.g. via `XOVER 1234-`, which in turn depend on
how the articles are numbered in spool itself (determined by filenames in
case of tradspool) e.g. via `ARTICLE 1234`.

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<hjU2M.4884116$WRz3.2113826@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=615&group=news.admin.peering#615

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:32:45 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:32 UTC

On 28 Apr 2023 at 15:11:26 CEST, "Matija Nalis" <mnalis-news@voyager.hr>
wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:34:09 GMT, Eli <eliistheman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23 Apr 2023 at 18:08:22 CEST, "Frank" <franky@xxx.yyy> wrote:
>>> If a server renumbers its articles, its readers would need to throw out
>>> their newsrc and show everything as unread.
>>
>> It is a new server and has no readers yet, so that isn't a problem.
>
> So if you do not want to involve another server; to do such renumber,
> one would need to (hopefully I'm not forgetting important step):

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. However, I wonder if
manually renumbering the article files works, since crossposts are stored as
symbolic links. But it might be worth a try.

>>> With 300,000,000 articles, the server is quite large and transferring these
>>> articles to another server over a single connection takes forever.
>
> Usin other server is the alternative, yes. You can run it in parallel over
> multiple connections, but only per-group parallelism (not at article
> level!).

With single or multiple connections, things will probably go wrong again due
to the crossposts.

As an example: Suppose there are two newsgroups, named A and B.
Both newsgroups have articles from the years 2003 to 2023.

First, newsgroup A is transferred to the new server.
Newsgroup A has an article from 2022 that has been crossposted to newsgroup B.
Since newsgroup B does not yet have articles on the new server, this article
will get article number 1 in newsgroup B. So the same problem arises again on
the new server.

Newsgroup B (new server):
Article number 1: 2022
Article number 2: 2003

So it seems that renumbering by posted date is not possible at all due to the
crossposts.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<slrnu4quhv.gho.mnalis-news@leia.home.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=616&group=news.admin.peering#616

From: mnalis-news@voyager.hr (Matija Nalis)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 22:12:47 +0200
Sender: mnalis@public.hr
 by: Matija Nalis - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 20:12 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:32:45 GMT, Eli <eliistheman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2023 at 15:11:26 CEST, "Matija Nalis" <mnalis-news@voyager.hr>
>> So if you do not want to involve another server; to do such renumber,
>> one would need to (hopefully I'm not forgetting important step):
>
> Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. However, I wonder if
> manually renumbering the article files works, since crossposts are stored as
> symbolic links. But it might be worth a try.

I'm not sure, but I think crossposts may have been stored as hardlinks instead?
If that is true, then they wouldn't mind such renaming.

But if they are indeed symlinks, then yes, your script would need to fix them
too (by looking at Newsgroups header, doing readdir() in each group, and
finding realink(2) where it points until it finds one that need to be
fixed). That would obviously make it even slower, yes.

>> Usin other server is the alternative, yes. You can run it in parallel over
>> multiple connections, but only per-group parallelism (not at article
>> level!).
>
> With single or multiple connections, things will probably go wrong again due
> to the crossposts.

Ah yes, you are correct, crossposts would break parallelism with multiple
connections.

But, it should still work for single connection, given good preparation
(see below).

> So it seems that renumbering by posted date is not possible at all due to the
> crossposts.

You'd first have to create a list of all messages sorted by date (sorted
history file would be great for that, were it not for the fact that it
contains ONLY articles that arrived in last xx days, and not ALL of them).

And then you would simply feed the articles from that sorted list to the
new (empty) server.

They would be arriving on new server just like they did in the real life
in chronological order, to one group or to the other, and even crossposts
would arrive correctly (as message "X" would be in all cases after all
older ones, but before all newer ones, regardless of group(s) they were
posted to).

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u2k0jh$2jdog$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=617&group=news.admin.peering#617

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:01:37 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:01 UTC

Hi Eli,

> As an example: Suppose there are two newsgroups, named A and B.
> Both newsgroups have articles from the years 2003 to 2023.
>
> First, newsgroup A is transferred to the new server.
> Newsgroup A has an article from 2022 that has been crossposted to newsgroup B.
> Since newsgroup B does not yet have articles on the new server, this article
> will get article number 1 in newsgroup B. So the same problem arises again on
> the new server.
>
> Newsgroup B (new server):
> Article number 1: 2022
> Article number 2: 2003
>
> So it seems that renumbering by posted date is not possible at all due to the
> crossposts.

If you're renumbering the articles like Matija suggested for tradspool,
you won't encounter that problem as you do not transfer articles from a
server to another, but rebuilding the history file and overview data
from your renumbered tradspool.

What you are describing is a pullnews-like scenario ("newsgroup A is
transferred to the new server").

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me. »
(Sigmund Freud)

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u2k1gq$2jdog$2@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=618&group=news.admin.peering#618

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:17:13 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:17 UTC

Hi Matija,

> - for each group, rename files so their numbers sequentially follow the
> chronological order of `Date` headers in their content (you might need
> to write a relatively simple script for that; I don't know if any exist
> already)

FWIW, in <patharticles>, the dates can be obtained with something like:
grep -m 1 '^Date: ' *
and the header field values converted to epoch with the convdate tool,
like in:
convdate -n 'Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:11:26 +0200'

You'll also need updating the Xref header fields in articles.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Farpaitement ! » (Obélix)

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<Rly3M.4031584$odm4.3369982@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=619&group=news.admin.peering#619

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 18:22:41 GMT
 by: Eli - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 18:22 UTC

On 29 Apr 2023 at 22:12:47 CEST, "Matija Nalis" <mnalis-news@voyager.hr>
wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 18:32:45 GMT, Eli <eliistheman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 28 Apr 2023 at 15:11:26 CEST, "Matija Nalis" <mnalis-news@voyager.hr>
>>> So if you do not want to involve another server; to do such renumber,
>>> one would need to (hopefully I'm not forgetting important step):
>>
>> Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. However, I wonder if
>> manually renumbering the article files works, since crossposts are stored as
>> symbolic links. But it might be worth a try.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think crossposts may have been stored as hardlinks instead?
> If that is true, then they wouldn't mind such renaming.
>
> But if they are indeed symlinks, then yes, your script would need to fix them
> too (by looking at Newsgroups header, doing readdir() in each group, and
> finding realink(2) where it points until it finds one that need to be
> fixed). That would obviously make it even slower, yes.

>>> Usin other server is the alternative, yes. You can run it in parallel over
>>> multiple connections, but only per-group parallelism (not at article
>>> level!).
>>
>> With single or multiple connections, things will probably go wrong again due
>> to the crossposts.
>
> Ah yes, you are correct, crossposts would break parallelism with multiple
> connections.
>
> But, it should still work for single connection, given good preparation
> (see below).
>
>> So it seems that renumbering by posted date is not possible at all due to the
>> crossposts.
>
> You'd first have to create a list of all messages sorted by date (sorted
> history file would be great for that, were it not for the fact that it
> contains ONLY articles that arrived in last xx days, and not ALL of them).
>
> And then you would simply feed the articles from that sorted list to the
> new (empty) server.
>
> They would be arriving on new server just like they did in the real life
> in chronological order, to one group or to the other, and even crossposts
> would arrive correctly (as message "X" would be in all cases after all
> older ones, but before all newer ones, regardless of group(s) they were
> posted to).

I'll give it a try soon.
Thanks for the info.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<ymy3M.782332$l5R6.417700@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=620&group=news.admin.peering#620

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 18:23:26 GMT
 by: Eli - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 18:23 UTC

On 29 Apr 2023 at 23:17:13 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Matija,
>
>> - for each group, rename files so their numbers sequentially follow the
>> chronological order of `Date` headers in their content (you might need
>> to write a relatively simple script for that; I don't know if any exist
>> already)
>
> FWIW, in <patharticles>, the dates can be obtained with something like:
> grep -m 1 '^Date: ' *
> and the header field values converted to epoch with the convdate tool,
> like in:
> convdate -n 'Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:11:26 +0200'
>

> You'll also need updating the Xref header fields in articles.

Thank you Julien.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<Xvb5M.5451265$MJk2.3851009@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=628&group=news.admin.peering#628

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 18:01:27 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 5 May 2023 18:01 UTC

On 29 Apr 2023 at 23:01:37 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
>> As an example: Suppose there are two newsgroups, named A and B.
>> Both newsgroups have articles from the years 2003 to 2023.
>>
>> First, newsgroup A is transferred to the new server.
>> Newsgroup A has an article from 2022 that has been crossposted to newsgroup B.
>> Since newsgroup B does not yet have articles on the new server, this article
>> will get article number 1 in newsgroup B. So the same problem arises again on
>> the new server.
>>
>> Newsgroup B (new server):
>> Article number 1: 2022
>> Article number 2: 2003
>>
>> So it seems that renumbering by posted date is not possible at all due to the
>> crossposts.
>
> If you're renumbering the articles like Matija suggested for tradspool,
> you won't encounter that problem as you do not transfer articles from a
> server to another, but rebuilding the history file and overview data
> from your renumbered tradspool.
>
> What you are describing is a pullnews-like scenario ("newsgroup A is
> transferred to the new server").

Is there a way to do the same when using the timecaf storage?

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u33go3$193a$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=629&group=news.admin.peering#629

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 20:09:07 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 5 May 2023 18:09 UTC

Hi Eli,

>> If you're renumbering the articles like Matija suggested for tradspool,
>> you won't encounter that problem as you do not transfer articles from a
>> server to another, but rebuilding the history file and overview data
>> from your renumbered tradspool.
>
> Is there a way to do the same when using the timecaf storage?

Renumbering articles in-place stored in timecaf buffers? No, that's not
simple at all; you'll need rewriting the whole CAF (index + articles).
Only tradspool can be done with "rudimentary" grep/sed commands.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me. »
(Sigmund Freud)

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<48c5M.5661290$vSy3.1679257@fx04.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=630&group=news.admin.peering#630

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 18:44:16 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 5 May 2023 18:44 UTC

On 5 May 2023 at 20:09:07 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
>>> If you're renumbering the articles like Matija suggested for tradspool,
>>> you won't encounter that problem as you do not transfer articles from a
>>> server to another, but rebuilding the history file and overview data
>>> from your renumbered tradspool.
>>
>> Is there a way to do the same when using the timecaf storage?
>
> Renumbering articles in-place stored in timecaf buffers? No, that's not
> simple at all; you'll need rewriting the whole CAF (index + articles).
> Only tradspool can be done with "rudimentary" grep/sed commands.

That is sad to hear.

So it would actually be better if pullnews would download all articles per
newsgroup and ignore the crossposts. Just download everything first, save the
articles in their folders and add the xref field. Nothing more. Then, when all
articles from all newsgroups have been downloaded, use 'ctlinnd renumber' to
import the articles into INN and rebuild the overview data? Filtering might
not work in this case?

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u33lt2$1c60$3@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=631&group=news.admin.peering#631

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 21:37:05 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 5 May 2023 19:37 UTC

Hi Eli,

> So it would actually be better if pullnews would download all articles per
> newsgroup and ignore the crossposts. Just download everything first, save the
> articles in their folders and add the xref field. Nothing more.

I'm wondering whether you could just:

- Download all the articles with "pullnews -r" (it will write a file
with all the articles within). You may run several instances of
pullnews to have several files.

- Parse the articles within these files (they are separated with "#!
rnews <size>" lines) to take the dates and write the articles in a new
batch file, ordered by posting date.

- Inject these batch files into innd (with rnews). No need to change
any Xref header fields. The articles will be treated in order, assigned
new Xref, and you'll have article numbers and history file sorted as you
want.

> Filtering might not work in this case?

It will work as all the articles will be processed by innd.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Rotomagnus, c'est par là ?
– P'têt ben qu'oui. » (Astérix)

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<n6e5M.4177960$nwq3.2419823@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=632&group=news.admin.peering#632

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 20:58:59 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 5 May 2023 20:58 UTC

On 5 May 2023 at 21:37:05 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether you could just:
>
> - Download all the articles with "pullnews -r" (it will write a file
> with all the articles within). You may run several instances of
> pullnews to have several files.
>
> - Parse the articles within these files (they are separated with "#!
> rnews <size>" lines) to take the dates and write the articles in a new
> batch file, ordered by posting date.
>
> - Inject these batch files into innd (with rnews). No need to change
> any Xref header fields. The articles will be treated in order, assigned
> new Xref, and you'll have article numbers and history file sorted as you
> want.

Hi Julien,

I let pullnews -r exporting about 4000 articles to the batch file named
'rnews01.batch'.
The articles in the batch file are complete, saying headers and bodies, each
separated with '#! rnews <bytes>'

Then I used 'rnews -v rnews01.batch'
But unfortunately INN doesn't accept the articles.

Each article is refushed with the error:
"rnews01.batch: rejected 437 No body [Path: not-for-mail ...]"

Any suggestion?

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<ihe5M.5661321$vSy3.4148856@fx04.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=633&group=news.admin.peering#633

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 21:10:38 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 5 May 2023 21:10 UTC

On 5 May 2023 at 22:58:59 CEST, "Eli" <eliistheman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 May 2023 at 21:37:05 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
> <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering whether you could just:
>>
>> - Download all the articles with "pullnews -r" (it will write a file
>> with all the articles within). You may run several instances of
>> pullnews to have several files.
>>
>> - Parse the articles within these files (they are separated with "#!
>> rnews <size>" lines) to take the dates and write the articles in a new
>> batch file, ordered by posting date.
>>
>> - Inject these batch files into innd (with rnews). No need to change
>> any Xref header fields. The articles will be treated in order, assigned
>> new Xref, and you'll have article numbers and history file sorted as you
>> want.
>
> Hi Julien,
>
> I let pullnews -r exporting about 4000 articles to the batch file named
> 'rnews01.batch'.
> The articles in the batch file are complete, saying headers and bodies, each
> separated with '#! rnews <bytes>'
>
> Then I used 'rnews -v rnews01.batch'
> But unfortunately INN doesn't accept the articles.
>
> Each article is refushed with the error:
> "rnews01.batch: rejected 437 No body [Path: not-for-mail ...]"
>
> Any suggestion?

I see something strange in the news log.
For each of the above articles it says:
"May 5 22:36:04.708 - not-for-mail <msg-id>^M 437 No body"

Note the '^M'. It seems it doesn't seem to understand this newline character?
The 'rnews01.batch' file contains these '^M' characters at the end of each
line.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u33stc$1c5r$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=635&group=news.admin.peering#635

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 23:36:44 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 5 May 2023 21:36 UTC

Hi Eli,

> I see something strange in the news log.
> For each of the above articles it says:
> "May 5 22:36:04.708 - not-for-mail <msg-id>^M 437 No body"
>
> Note the '^M'. It seems it doesn't seem to understand this newline character?
> The 'rnews01.batch' file contains these '^M' characters at the end of each
> line.

Indeed, I'll have a look. Either by having pullnews write articles with
mere LF, or/and having rnews understand CRLF.

Unfortunately, if you change CRLF by hand, <size> becomes wrong in "#!
rnews <size>"...

Thanks for the report! Seems like "-r" is not a widely-used parameter...

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Une robe de femme doit être comme une plaidoirie : assez longue pour
couvrir le sujet, assez courte pour être suivie. »

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<0Ge5M.5707034$SIb3.2584945@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=636&group=news.admin.peering#636

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 21:37:00 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 5 May 2023 21:37 UTC

On 5 May 2023 at 23:10:38 CEST, "Eli" <eliistheman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 May 2023 at 22:58:59 CEST, "Eli" <eliistheman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5 May 2023 at 21:37:05 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
>> <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm wondering whether you could just:
>>>
>>> - Download all the articles with "pullnews -r" (it will write a file
>>> with all the articles within). You may run several instances of
>>> pullnews to have several files.
>>>
>>> - Parse the articles within these files (they are separated with "#!
>>> rnews <size>" lines) to take the dates and write the articles in a new
>>> batch file, ordered by posting date.
>>>
>>> - Inject these batch files into innd (with rnews). No need to change
>>> any Xref header fields. The articles will be treated in order, assigned
>>> new Xref, and you'll have article numbers and history file sorted as you
>>> want.
>>
>> Hi Julien,
>>
>> I let pullnews -r exporting about 4000 articles to the batch file named
>> 'rnews01.batch'.
>> The articles in the batch file are complete, saying headers and bodies, each
>> separated with '#! rnews <bytes>'
>>
>> Then I used 'rnews -v rnews01.batch'
>> But unfortunately INN doesn't accept the articles.
>>
>> Each article is refushed with the error:
>> "rnews01.batch: rejected 437 No body [Path: not-for-mail ...]"
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> I see something strange in the news log.
> For each of the above articles it says:
> "May 5 22:36:04.708 - not-for-mail <msg-id>^M 437 No body"
>
> Note the '^M'. It seems it doesn't seem to understand this newline character?
> The 'rnews01.batch' file contains these '^M' characters at the end of each
> line.

I've tried to convert the batchfile using 'dos2unix' and also 'sed -e
"s/\r//g"', but other than the errors are gone, the articles are not
transferred at all. The news log and others remain completely empty.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u33t1e$1c5r$2@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=637&group=news.admin.peering#637

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 23:38:53 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 5 May 2023 21:38 UTC

Hi Eli,

> I've tried to convert the batchfile using 'dos2unix' and also 'sed -e
> "s/\r//g"'

It won't work because the <size> changes...

> but other than the errors are gone, the articles are not
> transferred at all. The news log and others remain completely empty.

Aren't these articles already in your spool?
If the Message-IDs are already in the history, rnews won't try to send them.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Mieux vaut allumer une bougie que maudire les ténèbres. » (Lao Zi)

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<SHe5M.5484231$MJk2.2274473@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=638&group=news.admin.peering#638

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 21:38:58 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 5 May 2023 21:38 UTC

On 5 May 2023 at 23:36:44 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
>> I see something strange in the news log.
>> For each of the above articles it says:
>> "May 5 22:36:04.708 - not-for-mail <msg-id>^M 437 No body"
>>
>> Note the '^M'. It seems it doesn't seem to understand this newline character?
>> The 'rnews01.batch' file contains these '^M' characters at the end of each
>> line.
>
> Indeed, I'll have a look. Either by having pullnews write articles with
> mere LF, or/and having rnews understand CRLF.
>
> Unfortunately, if you change CRLF by hand, <size> becomes wrong in "#!
> rnews <size>"...

Ah, that's why dos2unix doesn't work !
I look forward to your solution.

Thanks.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<M4f5M.2442836$THq2.2195869@fx08.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=639&group=news.admin.peering#639

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 22:05:32 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 5 May 2023 22:05 UTC

On 5 May 2023 at 23:38:53 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
>> I've tried to convert the batchfile using 'dos2unix' and also 'sed -e
>> "s/\r//g"'
>
> It won't work because the <size> changes...
>

>> but other than the errors are gone, the articles are not
>> transferred at all. The news log and others remain completely empty.
>
> Aren't these articles already in your spool?
> If the Message-IDs are already in the history, rnews won't try to send them.

I tried again with another newsgroup, making sure the articles were not yet in
the spool and for that batch (after dos2unix) only the first article is
imported, but the body of this article also contains the header of the second
article. So it seems that dos2unix removes the distinction between the
articles.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u33v2v$1c60$4@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=640&group=news.admin.peering#640

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 00:13:51 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 5 May 2023 22:13 UTC

Hi Eli,

>>> The 'rnews01.batch' file contains these '^M' characters at the end of each
>>> line.
>>
>> Indeed, I'll have a look. Either by having pullnews write articles with
>> mere LF, or/and having rnews understand CRLF.
>
> I look forward to your solution.

Could you please test this following patch?

I've tested it with 2 articles in an rnews batch generated with rnews,
and it was imported fine.
(The first 2 fixes for Xref and Bytes are not needed in your case, but
should be fixed in the final commit as well as how $tx_len is computed.)

--- a/frontends/pullnews.in
+++ b/frontends/pullnews.in
@@ -1150,7 +1150,7 @@ sub crossFeedGroup {
my $xref_h
. $upstreamParams->{$server}->{name}
- . " $group:$i\n";
+ . " $group:$i\r\n";
splice(@{$article}, $idx_blank_pre_body, 0, $xref_h);
$tx_len += length($xref_h);
$idx_blank_pre_body++;
@@ -1162,7 +1162,7 @@ sub crossFeedGroup {
# field is not counted, as well as header fields
removed by
# pullnews.
my $bytes_real_count = $tx_len + scalar(@{$article});
- my $bytes_h = "Bytes: $bytes_real_count\n";
+ my $bytes_h = "Bytes: $bytes_real_count\r\n";
splice(@{$article}, $idx_blank_pre_body, 0, $bytes_h);
$tx_len += length($bytes_h);
$idx_blank_pre_body++;
@@ -1207,8 +1207,13 @@ sub crossFeedGroup {
) . "\n";
}
} elsif ($rnews) {
- printf RNEWS "#! rnews %d\n", $tx_len;
- map { print RNEWS $_ } @{$article};
+ my $artwithoutCR = "";
+ foreach my $line (@{$article}) {
+ $line =~ s/\r\n$/\n/;
+ $artwithoutCR .= $line;
+ }
+ printf RNEWS "#! rnews %d\n", length($artwithoutCR);
+ print RNEWS $artwithoutCR;
print LOG "+" unless $quiet;
$fed{$group}++;
$info{'rnews'}->{fed}++;

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Il avait juste assez de culture pour faire des citations fausses. »
(Byron)

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<EBm5M.3778241$US27.697930@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=642&group=news.admin.peering#642

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 06:38:28 GMT
 by: Eli - Sat, 6 May 2023 06:38 UTC

On 6 May 2023 at 00:13:51 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Could you please test this following patch?
>
> I've tested it with 2 articles in an rnews batch generated with rnews,
> and it was imported fine.
> (The first 2 fixes for Xref and Bytes are not needed in your case, but
> should be fixed in the final commit as well as how $tx_len is computed.)

Works!

After applying the patch, all articles were successfully imported.

Thanks Julien.

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<Wen5M.5493900$MJk2.2327113@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=643&group=news.admin.peering#643

From: eliistheman@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 07:22:30 GMT
 by: Eli - Sat, 6 May 2023 07:22 UTC

On 5 May 2023 at 21:37:05 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
>> So it would actually be better if pullnews would download all articles per
>> newsgroup and ignore the crossposts. Just download everything first, save the
>> articles in their folders and add the xref field. Nothing more.
>
> I'm wondering whether you could just:
>
> - Download all the articles with "pullnews -r" (it will write a file
> with all the articles within). You may run several instances of
> pullnews to have several files.
>
> - Parse the articles within these files (they are separated with "#!
> rnews <size>" lines) to take the dates and write the articles in a new
> batch file, ordered by posting date.
>
> - Inject these batch files into innd (with rnews). No need to change
> any Xref header fields. The articles will be treated in order, assigned
> new Xref, and you'll have article numbers and history file sorted as you
> want.

Hi Julien,

I don't think this solves the problem either

As an example: Suppose there are two newsgroups, named A and B.
Both newsgroups have articles from the years 2003 to 2023.

First, newsgroup A is downloaded using 'pullnews -r'.
Then, newsgroup B is downloaded using 'pullnews -r'.

Both groups are downloaded into two separated batchfiles.

When finished downloading, the batchfile created for newsgroup A is feeded to
INN using rnews.

It contains an article from 2022 that has been crossposted to newsgroup B.

Since the batchfile for newsgroup B is not feeded to INN yet, this article
will get article number 1 in newsgroup B. So the problem arises again.

After both batchfiles are feeded to INN, newsgroup B looks like:
Article number 1: 2022
Article number 2: 2003

I haven't tried this in practice yet, but it doesn't seem like this method
will work. Or am I wrong?

Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date

<u34vjo$3024$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=644&group=news.admin.peering#644

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 09:28:56 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 6 May 2023 07:28 UTC

Hi Eli,

> As an example: Suppose there are two newsgroups, named A and B.
> Both newsgroups have articles from the years 2003 to 2023.
>
> First, newsgroup A is downloaded using 'pullnews -r'.
> Then, newsgroup B is downloaded using 'pullnews -r'.
>
> Both groups are downloaded into two separated batchfiles.
>
> When finished downloading, the batchfile created for newsgroup A is feeded to
> INN using rnews.

The 2 batch files have to be merged in one, ordered by posting date, and
not fed separately to INN.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Tout est dans tout, et réciproquement. » (Pierre Dac)

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: Renumber newsgroups by post date