From: g@k.invalid (G.K.)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs,alt.cypherpunks,alt.anonymous,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Questions on which file types and compression formats you prefer for
archiving
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 20:41:27 -0600
 by: G.K. - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 02:41 UTC

What is your preferred file type for:

1. documentation ?
2. raw text data ?
3. message archiving ?
4. lists ?
5. collections of the above, archived, indexed, or otherwise ?
6. large data stores ?
7. brainstorms ?
8. outlines ?
9. snippets ?

What are your preferred compression formats and why?

--

G.K.

Re: Questions on which file types and compression formats you prefer for archiving

<tq1jq6$auc$5@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60&group=alt.bbs#60

Followup: alt.folklore.computers
From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs,alt.cypherpunks,alt.anonymous,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Questions on which file types and compression formats you
prefer for archiving
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 20:22:46 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 19:22 UTC

Am 14.01.2023 um 20:41:27 Uhr schrieb G.K.:

> 1. documentation ?

Text files.

> 2. raw text data ?

Text files.

> 3. message archiving ?

mbox

> 4. lists ?

ods

> 5. collections of the above, archived, indexed, or otherwise ?

tar.gz

> 6. large data stores ?

..tar.gz

> 7. brainstorms ?

Text files

> 8. outlines ?
> 9. snippets ?

text files

Please notice follow-up to alt.folklore.computers!

Re: Questions on which file types and compression formats you prefer for archiving

<tq3htt$2nkfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61&group=alt.bbs#61

From: bluemanedhawk@gmail.com (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs,alt.cypherpunks,alt.anonymous,alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Questions on which file types and compression formats you prefer
for archiving
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 08:02:53 -0500
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 13:02 UTC
Attachments: "OpenPGP_signature" (application/pgp-signature)

On 1/14/23 21:41, G.K. wrote:
> What is your preferred file type for:
>
> 1. documentation ?
Manpages or PDFs.
> 2. raw text data ?
I can't figure out what this is asking. Isn't the only type .txt?
> 3. message archiving ?
I guess whatever Thunderbird does? I'm not certain what this means.
> 4. lists ?
A simple newline-split list can work well for a lot of things. But if i
need something more complicated, i'd probably use JSON.
> 5. collections of the above, archived, indexed, or otherwise ?
Directories or folders :P.
> 6. large data stores ?
Usually if i need to do that, i'll put it in a compressed tarball.
> 7. brainstorms ? > 8. outlines ?
> 9. snippets ?
I don't usually keep these digitally. I usually write them down in a
little notebook i carry.

> What are your preferred compression formats and why?

​For me, the highest priorities are losslessness and the compression
ratio—i've never run into a situation where the slowness of an algorithm
has outweighed these. Some kinds of files have specially‑designed _de
facto_-standard compression schemes (e.g. PNG for images, FLAC for
audio, etc.), but for general stuff i use .xz because i've heard that it
has the highest compression ratio, which my personal experience has
corroborated.
--
⚗︎ | /blu.mɛin.dʰak/ | shortens to "Hawk" | he/him/his/himself/Mr.
bluemanedhawk.github.io

Attachments: "OpenPGP_signature" (application/pgp-signature)