Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 07:07:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: \glsname seems to not allow line breaks when used normally within text
From: david.jobman.schwartz@gmail.com (Dave94705)
 by: Dave94705 - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 15:07 UTC

I have name=\text{citizen voter type} as part of a glossaries entry. When I use it in my text it faithfully reproduces that but sometimes one would expect and want it to be split to two lines. It does not do that. I goes into the right margin to continue the whole thing when if I type "citizen voter type" it puts citizen on one line and voter type on the next.

Any suggestions on how to let glossaries know it is okay to split at least this entry?
Thanks, ds

Re: \glsname seems to not allow line breaks when used normally within text

<1g8sthn0e62hm.dlg@nililand.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6093&group=comp.text.tex#6093

From: news3@nililand.de (Ulrike Fischer)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:21:31 +0100
 by: Ulrike Fischer - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 16:21 UTC

Am Tue, 31 Jan 2023 07:07:32 -0800 (PST) schrieb Dave94705:

> I have name=\text{citizen voter type} as part of a glossaries entry. When I use it in my text it faithfully reproduces that but sometimes one would expect and want it to be split to two lines. It does not do that. I goes into the right margin to continue the whole thing when if I type "citizen voter type" it puts citizen on one line and voter type on the next.
>
> Any suggestions on how to let glossaries know it is okay to split at least this entry?

I always wonder why people expect others to have crystal balls.
Would you know what in my code suppress a line break if I gave you
only such a vage description?

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Re: \glsname seems to not allow line breaks when used normally within text

<slrnttihin.11446.jcb@bridgetown.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6095&group=comp.text.tex#6095

From: jcb@inf.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: \glsname seems to not allow line breaks when used normally
within text
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 16:48:23 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Bradfield - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 16:48 UTC

On 2023-01-31, Dave94705 <david.jobman.schwartz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have name=\text{citizen voter type} as part of a glossaries entry. When I use it in my text it faithfully reproduces that but sometimes one would expect and want it to be split to two lines. It does not do that. I goes into the right margin to continue the whole thing when if I type "citizen voter type" it puts citizen on one line and voter type on the next.

Why are you using \text ? This is an AMS maths command, and puts the
text in a (n unbreakable) box. So it's doing exactly what you've told
it to do.