Superior ability breeds superior ambition. -- Spock, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

SubjectAuthor
* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector
+* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryComputer Nerd Kev
|+- I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryComputer Nerd Kev
|`* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector
| +- I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryVanguardLH
| `* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryGary R. Schmidt
|  `- I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector
`* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryVanguardLH
 `* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector
  `* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryVanguardLH
   `* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector
    +* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryVanguardLH
    |+- I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryVanguardLH
    |`- I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector
    `* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryFrank Miller
     `* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector
      `* I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoveryAdam H. Kerman
       `- I'd prefer an empty page on crash recoverybad sector

1
I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<GdGdnVMNBYNYzSz5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=603&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#603

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:42:29 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:42 UTC

That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
post-crash restarts.

My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<64b1ee45@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=607&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#607

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 15 Jul 2023 10:54:30 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 00:54 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@_invalid.net> wrote:
> That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
> empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
> post-crash restarts.
>
> My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
> because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
> opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
> instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
> want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".

This is where my slow internet connection comes in handy - no
webpage ever loads fast enough that I don't have time to open a
blank tab and close the one that Firefox is trying to kill itself
with. :)

In the profile directory (~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]) there's
a crashes/events directory. I'm guessing that this is where the
Crash Event files described here are placed:
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/crash-events.html

On this page it says:
"The crash manager automatically detects new browser crashes at
startup by scanning for Crash Events."
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/index.html

So if I'm reading that right, then deleting any files in
~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events
should stop Firefox from detecting a crash. Maybe. I'm not
sure whether the crashes/store.json.mozlz4 file might need to be
reset to the default contents as well.

Then you could start Firefox with a script that does
"rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*" after every
run to prevent Firefox from ever knowing that it crashed.

(I'm assuming that you're using Linux, based on your newsreader's
User-Agent header)

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<1bqw04brc0o3v.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=608&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#608

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 19:58:02 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 00:58 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
> empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
> post-crash restarts.
>
> My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
> because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
> opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
> instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
> want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".

Disable crash recovery (aka session restore) in Firefox.

https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+disable+crash+recovery

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<64b1f1cf@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=609&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#609

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 15 Jul 2023 11:09:36 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:09 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> So if I'm reading that right, then deleting any files in
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events
> should stop Firefox from detecting a crash. Maybe. I'm not
> sure whether the crashes/store.json.mozlz4 file might need to be
> reset to the default contents as well.
>
> Then you could start Firefox with a script that does
> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*" after every
> run to prevent Firefox from ever knowing that it crashed.

The settings listed here probably offer a less hacky way to do
it:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Session_Restore#Preferences

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<1WKdnZhOXKkKZSz5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=612&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#612

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 21:38:31 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:38 UTC

On 7/14/23 20:54, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> bad sector <forgetski@_invalid.net> wrote:
>> That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
>> empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
>> post-crash restarts.
>>
>> My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
>> because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
>> opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
>> instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
>> want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".
>
> This is where my slow internet connection comes in handy - no
> webpage ever loads fast enough that I don't have time to open a
> blank tab and close the one that Firefox is trying to kill itself
> with. :)
>
> In the profile directory (~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]) there's
> a crashes/events directory. I'm guessing that this is where the
> Crash Event files described here are placed:
> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/crash-events.html
>
> On this page it says:
> "The crash manager automatically detects new browser crashes at
> startup by scanning for Crash Events."
> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/index.html
>
> So if I'm reading that right, then deleting any files in
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events
> should stop Firefox from detecting a crash. Maybe. I'm not
> sure whether the crashes/store.json.mozlz4 file might need to be
> reset to the default contents as well.
>
> Then you could start Firefox with a script that does
> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*" after every
> run to prevent Firefox from ever knowing that it crashed.
>
> (I'm assuming that you're using Linux, based on your newsreader's
> User-Agent header)

that's my kind of attitude :-)

I am using Linux, a different one every day of the week

Suppose I could do that BEFORE every run by comanding the icon blurb to do

"rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*;firefox" ???

The problem is that with 7 distros times as many Netscape based
navigators and profiles the workload gets to be a little ridiculous

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<kcWdnbOt8_8iYSz5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=613&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#613

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 21:56:15 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:56 UTC

On 7/14/23 20:58, VanguardLH wrote:
> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
>
>> That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
>> empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
>> post-crash restarts.
>>
>> My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
>> because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
>> opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
>> instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
>> want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".
>
> Disable crash recovery (aka session restore) in Firefox.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+disable+crash+recovery

Open Firefox in Safe Mode
Type about:config in the Firefox address bar
Bypass the warning
Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
Close Firefox
Open Firefox normally
Repeat steps 2-4, but change the preference to true
Restart Firefox

Are you joking? That kind of footwork should load those who want
crash recovery to re-attempt the crashing page, I mean you have to be a
real idiot or a corrupt 5th columnist to want that i.e. a minority to be
treated like all minorities: IGNORED!

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<62is6zylp007$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=615&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#615

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 21:06:58 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 02:06 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> On 7/14/23 20:58, VanguardLH wrote:
>> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
>>
>>> That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
>>> empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
>>> post-crash restarts.
>>>
>>> My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
>>> because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
>>> opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
>>> instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
>>> want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".
>>
>> Disable crash recovery (aka session restore) in Firefox.
>>
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+disable+crash+recovery
>
> Open Firefox in Safe Mode
> (*) Type about:config in the Firefox address bar
> Bypass the warning
> (*) Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
> (*) Close Firefox
> (*) Open Firefox normally
> Repeat steps 2-4, but change the preference to true
> Restart Firefox
>
> Are you joking? That kind of footwork should load those who want
> crash recovery to re-attempt the crashing page, I mean you have to be a
> real idiot or a corrupt 5th columnist to want that i.e. a minority to be
> treated like all minorities: IGNORED!

Only the (*) items need to be performed:
- Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false.
- Restart Firefox to effect the setting.

From the search results, pick the article that you manage to comprehend.
It is nowhere as complicated as you claim.

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<8x381n9fxr9q$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=616&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#616

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 21:09:25 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 02:09 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> On 7/14/23 20:54, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> bad sector <forgetski@_invalid.net> wrote:
>>> That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
>>> empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
>>> post-crash restarts.
>>>
>>> My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
>>> because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
>>> opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
>>> instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
>>> want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".
>>
>> This is where my slow internet connection comes in handy - no
>> webpage ever loads fast enough that I don't have time to open a
>> blank tab and close the one that Firefox is trying to kill itself
>> with. :)
>>
>> In the profile directory (~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]) there's
>> a crashes/events directory. I'm guessing that this is where the
>> Crash Event files described here are placed:
>> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/crash-events.html
>>
>> On this page it says:
>> "The crash manager automatically detects new browser crashes at
>> startup by scanning for Crash Events."
>> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/index.html
>>
>> So if I'm reading that right, then deleting any files in
>> ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events
>> should stop Firefox from detecting a crash. Maybe. I'm not
>> sure whether the crashes/store.json.mozlz4 file might need to be
>> reset to the default contents as well.
>>
>> Then you could start Firefox with a script that does
>> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*" after every
>> run to prevent Firefox from ever knowing that it crashed.
>>
>> (I'm assuming that you're using Linux, based on your newsreader's
>> User-Agent header)
>
> that's my kind of attitude :-)
>
> I am using Linux, a different one every day of the week
>
> Suppose I could do that BEFORE every run by comanding the icon blurb to do
>
> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*;firefox" ???
>
> The problem is that with 7 distros times as many Netscape based
> navigators and profiles the workload gets to be a little ridiculous

Your setup is atypical, and as complicated as you chose to make it.
Changing Firefox's behavior is a simple edit of a setting.

Guess what, ANY software you install N times across M platforms is going
to take N time M changes. No surprise there.

Stop arguing about how complicated a scenario you created, and just do
the setting change to Firefox where you want it changed.

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<FcqdnXuFybeNnC_5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=617&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#617

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 22:14:39 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 02:14 UTC

On 7/14/23 22:06, VanguardLH wrote:
> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

>>> Disable crash recovery (aka session restore) in Firefox.
>>>
>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+disable+crash+recovery
>>
>> Open Firefox in Safe Mode
>> (*) Type about:config in the Firefox address bar
>> Bypass the warning
>> (*) Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
>> (*) Close Firefox
>> (*) Open Firefox normally
>> Repeat steps 2-4, but change the preference to true
>> Restart Firefox
>>
>> Are you joking? That kind of footwork should load those who want
>> crash recovery to re-attempt the crashing page, I mean you have to be a
>> real idiot or a corrupt 5th columnist to want that i.e. a minority to be
>> treated like all minorities: IGNORED!
>
> Only the (*) items need to be performed:
> - Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false.

Open Firefox in Safe Mode
Type about:config in the Firefox address bar
Bypass the warning
Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
Close Firefox
Open Firefox normally
Repeat steps 2-4, but change the preference to true
Restart Firefox
> - Restart Firefox to effect the setting.
>
> From the search results, pick the article that you manage to comprehend.
> It is nowhere as complicated as you claim.

you're missing the point, I've worked with nuclear weapons and it is
more of what hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
prepared to hop through

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<gwxijr8rr1iy.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=618&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#618

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 22:34:11 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 03:34 UTC

bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> On 7/14/23 22:06, VanguardLH wrote:
>> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

>>> Open Firefox in Safe Mode
>>> (*) Type about:config in the Firefox address bar
>>> Bypass the warning
>>> (*) Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
>>> (*) Close Firefox
>>> (*) Open Firefox normally
>>> Repeat steps 2-4, but change the preference to true
>>> Restart Firefox
>>>
>>> Are you joking? That kind of footwork should load those who want
>>> crash recovery to re-attempt the crashing page, I mean you have to be a
>>> real idiot or a corrupt 5th columnist to want that i.e. a minority to be
>>> treated like all minorities: IGNORED!
>>
>> Only the (*) items need to be performed:
>> - Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false.
>
> Open Firefox in Safe Mode <-- not required to change setting
> Type about:config in the Firefox address bar
> Bypass the warning
> Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
> Close Firefox
> Open Firefox normally
> Repeat steps 2-4, but change the preference to true
> Restart Firefox

Yeah, you already posted those instructions. If I couldn't manage to
read them before then obviously I can't read them a second time. Thanks
for calling me an idiot supreme. Remember you get the same attitude
back that you give.

>> - Restart Firefox to effect the setting.
>>
>> From the search results, pick the article that you manage to comprehend.
>> It is nowhere as complicated as you claim.
>
> you're missing the point, I've worked with nuclear weapons and it is
> more of what hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
> prepared to hop through

You think that makes the rest of us comfortable that someone who
considers the above instructions, and only those actually needed, as
overly complicated is also the same person that is in charge of nuclear
weapons?

You are deliberately being argumentative when the solution is so simple
that a dolt can follow them. But apparently you can't, so you're an
uber-dolt. Knock off the delay, the whining, and just change the
setting. Or don't if it is really too complicated for you to
understand, and keep getting the restored tabs when Firefox restarts.

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<64B22A49.6020501@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=619&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#619

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:10:33 +0200
 by: Frank Miller - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:10 UTC

bad sector wrote:
> On 7/14/23 22:06, VanguardLH wrote:
>> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
[..snip..]
>> From the search results, pick the article that you manage to comprehend.
>> It is nowhere as complicated as you claim.
>
> you're missing the point, I've worked with nuclear weapons and it is
> more of what hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
> prepared to hop through

*LOL!* Really?! You worked with /nuclear weapons/? ;-D

And you can't configure your internet browser to start with an empty page
or you fuck up your tor browser with a personal 'script' that fumbles around
with the timezone?
Go get a life.

If the third world war starts i can guess which idiots are in charge...

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<hpn9oj-acm.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=620&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#620

From: grschmidt@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:35:14 +1000
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:35 UTC

On 15/07/2023 11:38, bad sector wrote:
> On 7/14/23 20:54, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> bad sector <forgetski@_invalid.net> wrote:
>>> That's what I would want, where can it be set if at all? I have set an
>>> empty page for every FF start, but that does no seem to also govern
>>> post-crash restarts.
>>>
>>> My issue is that very frequent FF crashes seem to become vicious circles
>>> because FF tries to recover the crashed page. I would prefer the
>>> opposite where no page that has caused a crash is recovered but is
>>> instead blacklisted with "the last attempt crashed FF, do you really
>>> want to waste you time with shithole web-sites?".
>>
>> This is where my slow internet connection comes in handy - no
>> webpage ever loads fast enough that I don't have time to open a
>> blank tab and close the one that Firefox is trying to kill itself
>> with. :)
>>
>> In the profile directory (~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]) there's
>> a crashes/events directory. I'm guessing that this is where the
>> Crash Event files described here are placed:
>> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/crash-events.html
>>
>> On this page it says:
>> "The crash manager automatically detects new browser crashes at
>>   startup by scanning for Crash Events."
>> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/index.html
>>
>> So if I'm reading that right, then deleting any files in
>> ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events
>> should stop Firefox from detecting a crash. Maybe. I'm not
>> sure whether the crashes/store.json.mozlz4 file might need to be
>> reset to the default contents as well.
>>
>> Then you could start Firefox with a script that does
>> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*" after every
>> run to prevent Firefox from ever knowing that it crashed.
>>
>> (I'm assuming that you're using Linux, based on your newsreader's
>> User-Agent header)
>
> that's my kind of attitude :-)
>
> I am using Linux, a different one every day of the week
>
> Suppose I could do that BEFORE every run by comanding the icon blurb to do
>
> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*;firefox" ???
>
> The problem is that with 7 distros times as many Netscape based
> navigators and profiles the workload gets to be a little ridiculous

You don't have a file with all of the systems listed, so you can just do:
$ for in in `cat ~/All_my_machines` ; do ssh $i blah ; done
????

Or when you say "different Linuxen" do you mean you boot a different one
each day?

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<llc525da08c8$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=621&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#621

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 02:39:59 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:39 UTC

The instruction to load Firefox in its safe mode is because safe mode
won't reload a crashed session. If you are stuck with Firefox loading
and crashing because it reloads the same web docs in whatever number of
tabs you had open (i.e., Firefox crashes the moment you try to load it),
then safe mode break the vicious cycle. The easiest way to load Firefox
in its safe mode is to hold down the Shift key when loading Firefox.

When you started this discussion, you mentioned Firefox as though you
were configuring just one instance of it. Then you changed the scenario
to managing multiple instances of Firefox on multiple platforms.

I'm guessing you know how to copy a folder. Unless all those instance
of Firefox are configured differently, why not just edit the setting in
one instance of Firefox, and then copy that profile folder atop the
profile folders for the other instances of Firefox? Instead of fixing
one problem by hacking at all the profile folders, have one control
instance of Firefox whose profile folder you copy to all the other
instances of Firefox. Copying the profile folder is how everyone else
gets Firefox configured the same for a new install, or across multiple
instances of Firefox.

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<lCOdnSFPEpxDHi_5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=622&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#622

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:32:46 -0400
From: nosuch@INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 11:32 UTC

On 2023-07-14 23:34, VanguardLH wrote:
> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

>>> Only the (*) items need to be performed:
>>> - Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false.
>>
>> Open Firefox in Safe Mode <-- not required to change setting
>> Type about:config in the Firefox address bar
>> Bypass the warning
>> Change browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
>> Close Firefox
>> Open Firefox normally
>> Repeat steps 2-4, but change the preference to true
>> Restart Firefox
>
> Yeah, you already posted those instructions. If I couldn't manage to
> read them before then obviously I can't read them a second time. Thanks
> for calling me an idiot supreme. Remember you get the same attitude
> back that you give.

I didn't post any instructions

>>> - Restart Firefox to effect the setting.
>>>
>>> From the search results, pick the article that you manage to comprehend.
>>> It is nowhere as complicated as you claim.
>>
>> you're missing the point, I've worked with nuclear weapons and it is
>> more of what hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
>> prepared to hop through
>
> You think that makes the rest of us comfortable that someone who
> considers the above instructions, and only those actually needed, as
> overly complicated is also the same person that is in charge of nuclear
> weapons?

nor did I say that I was ever in charge of nuclear weapons.

> You are deliberately being argumentative when the solution is so simple
> that a dolt can follow them. But apparently you can't, so you're an
> uber-dolt. Knock off the delay, the whining, and just change the
> setting. Or don't if it is really too complicated for you to
> understand, and keep getting the restored tabs when Firefox restarts.

OK, I should have been more explicit, here's a reword: 'That's what I
want, where can it be set in preferences'?

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<lCOdnSBPEpxyHi_5nZ2dnZfqnPQAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=624&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#624

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:33:03 -0400
From: nosuch@INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 11:33 UTC

On 2023-07-15 01:10, Frank Miller wrote:
> bad sector wrote:
>> On 7/14/23 22:06, VanguardLH wrote:
>>> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
> [..snip..]
>>> From the search results, pick the article that you manage to comprehend.
>>> It is nowhere as complicated as you claim.
>>
>> you're missing the point, I've worked with nuclear weapons and it is
>> more of what hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
>> prepared to hop through
>
> *LOL!* Really?! You worked with /nuclear weapons/? ;-D
>
> And you can't configure your internet browser to start with an empty page

reread, maybe emphasis might help:

'hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
*prepared* to hop through'

> or you fuck up your tor browser with a personal 'script' that fumbles around
> with the timezone?

WTF is this?

> If the third world war starts i can guess which idiots are in charge...

we already know that but this is not a political NG

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<lCOdnSNPEpyFGS_5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=625&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#625

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:33:44 -0400
From: nosuch@INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox

On 2023-07-15 01:35, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 11:38, bad sector wrote:

>>> This is where my slow internet connection comes in handy - no
>>> webpage ever loads fast enough that I don't have time to open a
>>> blank tab and close the one that Firefox is trying to kill itself
>>> with. :)
>>>
>>> In the profile directory (~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]) there's
>>> a crashes/events directory. I'm guessing that this is where the
>>> Crash Event files described here are placed:
>>> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/crash-events.html
>>>
>>> On this page it says:
>>> "The crash manager automatically detects new browser crashes at
>>>   startup by scanning for Crash Events."
>>> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/components/crashes/crash-manager/index.html
>>>
>>> So if I'm reading that right, then deleting any files in
>>> ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events
>>> should stop Firefox from detecting a crash. Maybe. I'm not
>>> sure whether the crashes/store.json.mozlz4 file might need to be
>>> reset to the default contents as well.
>>>
>>> Then you could start Firefox with a script that does
>>> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*" after every
>>> run to prevent Firefox from ever knowing that it crashed.
>>>
>>> (I'm assuming that you're using Linux, based on your newsreader's
>>> User-Agent header)
>>
>> that's my kind of attitude :-)
>>
>> I am using Linux, a different one every day of the week
>>
>> Suppose I could do that BEFORE every run by comanding the icon blurb
>> to do
>>
>> "rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile ID]/crashes/events/*;firefox" ???
>>
>> The problem is that with 7 distros times as many Netscape based
>> navigators and profiles the workload gets to be a little ridiculous
>>
> You don't have a file with all of the systems listed, so you can just do:
> $ for in in `cat ~/All_my_machines` ; do ssh $i blah ; done
> ????

Thanks and no, the systems are almost totally independent thus far, but
that's another story.

> Or when you say "different Linuxen" do you mean you boot a different one
> each day?

I have 7 distros installed so in order not to sink into the 'let's use
the easiest one more and more', I decided to boot a different one each
day of the week (with frequent needed exceptions as I usually end up
booting several ones a day for various reasons but try to stick to the
day's appointed one) :-)

Today it's Ubuntu-Studio, the most problematic one of the lot.

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<u8u8ji$dc7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=627&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#627

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:57:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:57 UTC

bad sector <nosuch@INVALID.gov> wrote:
>On 2023-07-15 01:10, Frank Miller wrote:
>>bad sector wrote:

>>[..snip..]

>>>you're missing the point, I've worked with nuclear weapons and it is
>>>more of what hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
>>>prepared to hop through

>>*LOL!* Really?! You worked with /nuclear weapons/? ;-D

>>And you can't configure your internet browser to start with an empty page

>reread, maybe emphasis might help:

>'hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
>*prepared* to hop through'

>>or you fuck up your tor browser with a personal 'script' that fumbles around
>>with the timezone?

>WTF is this?

Did you ever fix your time zone offset, or not?

>>If the third world war starts i can guess which idiots are in charge...

>we already know that but this is not a political NG

It's not a newsgroup for pettiness, whining, recriminations, resume
thumping, nor any other form of immaturity.

If you lose the bad attitude, people will happily tell you what you need to
know.

Re: I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery

<zqicnRPlz6E1Mi_5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=628&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#628

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 10:39:36 -0400
From: nosuch@INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:39 UTC

On 2023-07-15 09:57, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> bad sector <nosuch@INVALID.gov> wrote:
>
>>> [..snip..]

>>> *LOL!* Really?! You worked with /nuclear weapons/? ;-D
>
>>> And you can't configure your internet browser to start with an empty page
>
>> reread, maybe emphasis might help:
>
>> 'hoops I'm capable of hopping through VS what hoops I'm
>> *prepared* to hop through'
>
>>> or you fuck up your tor browser with a personal 'script' that fumbles around
>>> with the timezone?
>
>> WTF is this?
>
> Did you ever fix your time zone offset, or not?

I don't remember time-zone offset issues I may have raised on this group.

But have had MANY issues with the locale setup, also with printed times
when using Sylpheed, and as I just noticed last night another possibly
locale issue involving characters used in filenames.. none of which are
FF problems AFAIK.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / I'd prefer an empty page on crash recovery