SubjectAuthor
* first impressions Mageia 9faeychild
`* Re: first impressions Mageia 9jim whitby
 `* Re: first impressions Mageia 9faeychild
  +- Re: first impressions Mageia 9faeychild
  `* Re: first impressions Mageia 9TJ
   +* Re: first impressions Mageia 9faeychild
   |`* Re: first impressions Mageia 9TJ
   | `- Re: first impressions Mageia 9faeychild
   `- Re: first impressions Mageia 9faeychild

1
first impressions Mageia 9

<urjjtq$309ke$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6008&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6008

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: first impressions Mageia 9
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:11:49 +1100
 by: faeychild - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 03:11 UTC

These are default conditions

During installation an error message

Warning task-pipewire n is not available in any media sources so only
pulse audio Please fix your repo configuration

Kwrite has no menu bar

MCC is blank except for the navigation panel. The exception is Install
remove Software when called from the start menu

Clicking on title bar or attempting to resize a window causes shade or
rollup

Firefox slow to start
When launched from the command line this error appears

[faeychild@unimatrix ~]$ firefox
[Parent 4792, Main Thread] WARNING:
/usr/share/applications/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added
Associations] group, but it is not permitted here. Only the
non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.:
'glib warning', file
/home/iurt/rpmbuild/BUILD/firefox-102.13.0/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(firefox:4792): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:35:09.994:
/usr/share/applications/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added
Associations] group, but it is not permitted here. Only the
non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid:
"Mozilla Firefox" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.jsm
Missing chrome or resource URL:
resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.sys.mjs

These are the major niggles I wont be installing the printer for some
time :-)

Perhaps I should download the ISO afresh and try again

--
Running KDE on x86_64 5.15.126-desktop-1.mga8
Mageia release 8

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<urjl87$30fuu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6009&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6009

From: mr.spock@spockmall.net (jim whitby)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: first impressions Mageia 9
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 03:34:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jim whitby - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 03:34 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:11:49 +1100, faeychild wrote:

<snip>

> Perhaps I should download the ISO afresh and try again

And verify the checksum of the download.

--
Jim Whitby

God gives us relatives; thank goodness we can chose our friends.
----------------------
Mageia release 9 (Official) for x86_64
6.6.14-server-2.mga9 unknown
----------------------

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<urlkde$3e0kl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6012&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6012

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:32:27 +1100
 by: faeychild - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 21:32 UTC

On 27/2/24 14:34, jim whitby wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:11:49 +1100, faeychild wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> Perhaps I should download the ISO afresh and try again
>
> And verify the checksum of the download.

Yes My thoughts - and hopes. No one else has reported problems

I find all installs to be subtly different. I assume that they follow a
script and it shouldn't be - but they are

Back in the dark ages when I installed Win 3.1 from disk, it would
always fall over if I rode shotgun..

If I could start the process and get away to do something else, and NOT
think about it (pretty difficult) then the installation would complete.
That never made any sense either; I just blamed the Universe, what else
do you do?

regards
--
Running KDE on x86_64 5.15.126-desktop-1.mga8
Mageia release 8

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<urlrue$3ff63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6013&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6013

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:41:02 +1100
 by: faeychild - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:41 UTC

On 28/2/24 08:32, faeychild wrote:
> On 27/2/24 14:34, jim whitby wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:11:49 +1100, faeychild wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should download the ISO afresh and try again
>>
>> And verify the checksum of the download.

$ md5sum -c Mageia-9-x86_64.iso.md5
Mageia-9-x86_64.iso: OK

I'll re-dump to USB stick. Take two

--
Running KDE on x86_64 5.15.126-desktop-1.mga8
Mageia release 8

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<urm3ol$3gsgt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6014&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6014

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:54:27 -0500
 by: TJ - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:54 UTC

On 2024-02-27 16:32, faeychild wrote:
> On 27/2/24 14:34, jim whitby wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:11:49 +1100, faeychild wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should download the ISO afresh and try again
>>
>> And verify the checksum of the download.
>>

> Yes  My thoughts - and hopes. No one else has reported problems
>
> I find all installs to be subtly different. I assume that they follow a
> script and it shouldn't be - but they are
>
> Back in the dark ages when I installed Win 3.1 from disk, it would
> always fall over if I rode shotgun..
>
> If I could start the process and get away to do something else, and NOT
> think about it (pretty difficult) then the installation would complete.
> That never made any sense either; I just blamed the Universe, what else
> do you do?
>
> regards
The Mageia QA Team did hundreds of test installs before those ISOs were
released - completely new, new but retaining /home, and upgrades from
Mageia 8. Classic installs, installs from the Live ISOs, net installs,
upgrades from the CI, net install, or the mgaapplet. They were tested in
VirtualBox and on real hardware, in as many different combinations as we
had available. But we can't possibly test on every possible combination
of hardware that could conceivably use Mageia 9 - we just don't have the
resources for that.

To my knowledge, no one reported the issue you saw with Kwrite. I use it
all the time, and had *I* seen anything like that the ISOs would not
have been released until it was fixed.

As for the issue you saw with MCC, I had that problem in Mageia 8 on an
ancient 32-bit laptop I call "Foolishness," but moving to Mageia 9 fixed
it. When I had it, it only affected the MCC window. You could still call
up the tools with the command line, as root.

Use drakrpm-edit-media to switch from MIRRORLIST to a specific mirror.
Use drakrpm-update to use the familiar update GUI, or use urpmi
--auto-update to get updates.

You did not say what your hardware is. You also did not say which ISO
you used, but from other posts I assume it was the Classic. Without that
information it would be pretty much impossible for any of us to help you
if you still have issues.

TJ

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<urma11$3lm15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6016&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6016

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 14:41:18 +1100
 by: faeychild - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 03:41 UTC

On 28/2/24 12:54, TJ wrote:
> On 2024-02-27 16:32, faeychild wrote:
>> On 27/2/24 14:34, jim whitby wrote:
>>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:11:49 +1100, faeychild wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> And verify the checksum of the download.
>>>

>> Yes  My thoughts - and hopes. No one else has reported problems
>>
>> I find all installs to be subtly different. I assume that they follow
>> a script and it shouldn't be - but they are
>>
>> Back in the dark ages when I installed Win 3.1 from disk, it would
>> always fall over if I rode shotgun..
>>
>> If I could start the process and get away to do something else, and
>> NOT think about it (pretty difficult) then the installation would
>> complete.
>> That never made any sense either; I just blamed the Universe, what
>> else do you do?
>>
>> regards
> The Mageia QA Team did hundreds of test installs before those ISOs were
> released - completely new, new but retaining /home, and upgrades from
> Mageia 8. Classic installs, installs from the Live ISOs, net installs,
> upgrades from the CI, net install, or the mgaapplet. They were tested in
> VirtualBox and on real hardware, in as many different combinations as we
> had available. But we can't possibly test on every possible combination
> of hardware that could conceivably use Mageia 9 - we just don't have the
> resources for that.
>
> To my knowledge, no one reported the issue you saw with Kwrite. I use it
> all the time, and had *I* seen anything like that the ISOs would not
> have been released until it was fixed.

Correct! Good reasons to suspect I have evil spirits, cosmic rays or an EMP

> You did not say what your hardware is. You also did not say which ISO
> you used, but from other posts I assume it was the Classic. Without that
> information it would be pretty much impossible for any of us to help you
> if you still have issues.

It's classic

-rw-rw-r-- 1 faeychild faeychild 4520814592 Dec 5 09:12
Mageia-9-x86_64.iso
-rw-rw-r-- 1 faeychild faeychild 54 Feb 28 10:32
Mageia-9-x86_64.iso.md5

I also do this stuff so infrequently so as to attract the fates. I can
always guarantee a glitch

Hardware is far from fancy and getting on a bit

Base Board Information
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Name: B250M-D3H-CF

Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz

primary drive is an SSD Ram is 32 Gig

I'll run a checksum on the USB stick and try again

It is fortunate these days with SSD and USB stick the install no longer
takes most of the afternoon

Take two coming up soon

Regards

--
Running KDE on x86_64 5.15.126-desktop-1.mga8
Mageia release 8

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<uro4rc$2ji8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6019&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6019

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:25:14 -0500
 by: TJ - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:25 UTC

On 2024-02-27 22:41, faeychild wrote:
> Hardware is far from fancy and getting on a bit
>
> Base Board Information
>         Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
>         Product Name: B250M-D3H-CF
>
> Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
>         Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
>
> primary drive is an SSD  Ram is 32 Gig

Not so awful different from my newest hardware:

Asus Prime Q250M-C motherboard
Intel i5-7500
48Gigs of RAM
Primary drive is a 1TB NVME M.2 SSD.
GPU: Nvidia Quadro K620.
Hotswap SATA drive bay capable of using both 3.5 inch and 2.5 inch drives.

I upgraded my production hardware to this in January. It's never had
anything but Mageia 9 Plasma on it. When I installed, I had backed up my
old /home to a rust drive, then did a completely fresh install using the
netinstall ISO. Then I restored my /home from the backup.

(You didn't mention your GPU) The K620 is capable of using any of the
three nvidia drivers Mageia 9 provides. I've tested it with each of the
three, with no issues. Years ago I swore I'd not use Nvidia cards again,
but QA needed more testers, so I bought one anyway. So far, so good.

I seem to remember that you used an older Nvidia card at one time. If
you are still using it, you may have to use the nouveau driver rather
than one of the nvidia proprietary drivers. That could make a difference.

TJ

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<urp4kh$c4ln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6020&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6020

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:27:42 +1100
 by: faeychild - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 05:27 UTC

On 29/2/24 07:25, TJ wrote:

The card is a GTX 1050 TI. It's been OK but many actively don't like
Nvidia

But, as for me I have been actively reinstalling mga8 following a disaster
I do know that I should have followed Bit Twisters advice but, it's
never going to happen until it does. NO BACKUPS

I've had the puzzling battle with Thunderbird. setting that up just
baffles me. I could not tell you how I managed to get it working.
It's a process of blundering round and round and then behold and low, it
starts working. Completely lost

And the Brother install script coupled with MCC seems to be a chicken
and egg thing

Next mga9

Re: first impressions Mageia 9

<us0h5l$2579f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6029&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6029

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 11:44:33 +1100
 by: faeychild - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 00:44 UTC

On 28/2/24 12:54, TJ wrote:
> On 2024-02-27 16:32, faeychild wrote:
>> On 27/2/24 14:34, jim whitby wrote:
>>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:11:49 +1100, faeychild wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> And verify the checksum of the download.
>>>

>> Yes  My thoughts - and hopes. No one else has reported problems
>>
>> I find all installs to be subtly different. I assume that they follow
>> a script and it shouldn't be - but they are
>>
>> Back in the dark ages when I installed Win 3.1 from disk, it would
>> always fall over if I rode shotgun..
>>
>> If I could start the process and get away to do something else, and
>> NOT think about it (pretty difficult) then the installation would
>> complete.
>> That never made any sense either; I just blamed the Universe, what
>> else do you do?
>>
>> regards
> The Mageia QA Team did hundreds of test installs before those ISOs were
> released - completely new, new but retaining /home, and upgrades from
> Mageia 8. Classic installs, installs from the Live ISOs, net installs,
> upgrades from the CI, net install, or the mgaapplet. They were tested in
> VirtualBox and on real hardware, in as many different combinations as we
> had available. But we can't possibly test on every possible combination
> of hardware that could conceivably use Mageia 9 - we just don't have the
> resources for that.
>
> To my knowledge, no one reported the issue you saw with Kwrite. I use it
> all the time, and had *I* seen anything like that the ISOs would not
> have been released until it was fixed.
>
> As for the issue you saw with MCC, I had that problem in Mageia 8 on an
> ancient 32-bit laptop I call "Foolishness," but moving to Mageia 9 fixed
> it. When I had it, it only affected the MCC window. You could still call
> up the tools with the command line, as root.
>
> Use drakrpm-edit-media to switch from MIRRORLIST to a specific mirror.
> Use drakrpm-update to use the familiar update GUI, or use urpmi
> --auto-update to get updates.
>
> You did not say what your hardware is. You also did not say which ISO
> you used, but from other posts I assume it was the Classic. Without that
> information it would be pretty much impossible for any of us to help you
> if you still have issues.
>
> TJ

OK the second trial went much better and the update seemed to help.

Unfortunately I still have the MCC window unpopulated; the navigation
panel is intact but the window with app thumbnails is blank. Despite
their invisibility they still work if I click on the appropriate blank area.
It reminds me of the old trick of setting font color to the background.

Changing themes, decoration, etc has no effect

Also quite impressed with the self centering task bar - nice touch
--
faeychild
Running kde on 5.15.126-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.