To understand a program you must become both the machine and the program.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OS

SubjectAuthor
* WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OSRichard Owlett
`* WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OSgerry 666uk
 `* WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OSRichard Owlett
  `* WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OSgerry 666uk
   `- WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OSRichard Owlett

1
WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OS

<5BKdnScdrLOtnuf5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=583&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#583

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Subject: WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OS
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 09:56:47 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 14:56 UTC

I'm a new user of a complex website maintained by volunteers.
They recognize its complexity and have a series of HELP pages.
Unfortunately there are critical gaps.
[Suspect they originate with assumptions that "Everyone knows ..." ;]

Although I've been a computer user for ~60 years and spent decades in
various forms of customer service, I've not used some items known by
"everybody".

I'm looking for a tool which reports the time of *BOTH* the *first* and
the *most recent* visit to each URL. SeaMonkey's History nicely reports
visit count and time of most _recent_ visit. I wish to demonstrate to
those maintaining the new user help pages how some critical information
can be missed.

A web search turned up a apparently appropriate tool for *WINDOWS*.
[q.v. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mozilla_history_view.html ]

I need a similar tool for SeaMonkey 2.49.4 running on Debian 9.13 .
[have later versions on another machine, but this is available/working]

Suggestions?
TIA

Re: WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OS

<u5f00l$3haic$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=585&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#585

From: gerry666uk@protonmail.com (gerry 666uk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 10:09:41 +0100
 by: gerry 666uk - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:09 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm a new user of a complex website maintained  by volunteers.

> I'm looking for a tool which reports the time of *BOTH* the *first* and
> the *most recent* visit to each URL.

Firstly, it might be better to review the website design and identify
why it's too complicated.

Secondly, it might be better to do this server side instead of relying
on per client browser history. e.g. you can use something like webalizer
to show breakdown of which pages are visited and when.

Re: WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OS

<hMmdnawF6ZdpiOb5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=586&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#586

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 05:29:07 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 10:29 UTC

On 06/03/2023 04:09 AM, gerry 666uk wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> I'm a new user of a complex website maintained  by volunteers.
>
>> I'm looking for a tool which reports the time of *BOTH* the *first*
>> and the *most recent* visit to each URL.
>
> Firstly, it might be better to review the website design and identify
> why it's too complicated.

In the first place, the website is anything but _complicated_.
It straight forwardly deals with a _complex_ topic.
I think they did an excellent job.

> Secondly, it might be better to do this server side instead of relying
> on per client browser history. e.g. you can use something like webalizer
> to show breakdown of which pages are visited and when.

In the second place, you snipped the description which demonstrates why
the procedure must be done client side - NOT server side.

Perhaps my post should have simply said:

> I'm looking for a tool which reports the time of *BOTH* the *first*
> and the *most recent* visit to each URL. SeaMonkey's History nicely
> reports visit count and time of most _recent_ visit.
>
> A web search turned up an apparently appropriate tool for *WINDOWS*.
> [q.v. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mozilla_history_view.html ]
>
> I need a similar tool for SeaMonkey 2.49.4 running on Debian 9.13 .
> [have later versions on another machine, but this is available/working]

Does such a tool exist?
TIA

Re: WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OS

<u5g11h$3koni$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=589&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#589

From: gerry666uk@protonmail.com (gerry 666uk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 19:33:21 +0100
 by: gerry 666uk - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 18:33 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:

> the procedure must be done client side - NOT server side.

For client side, you can access database file places.sqlite in the
profile. You can use a table join to map site url, title to the date the
site was visited, moz_places inner join moz_historyvisits. The date is
stored as an integer, not a date.

Re: WANTED - Specialized browser history viewer - Linux OS

<oKednU7v5qTqUuD5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=600&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#600

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 07:05:10 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 12:05 UTC

On 06/03/2023 01:33 PM, gerry 666uk wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> the procedure must be done client side - NOT server side.
>
> For client side, you can access database file places.sqlite in the
> profile. You can use a table join to map site url, title to the date the
> site was visited, moz_places inner join moz_historyvisits. The date is
> stored as an integer, not a date.

Thank you.
I'm not an active programmer and not very familiar with SQLite.
I'll have to see how close I can come with its default tool set.