19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5

SubjectAuthor
* Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5Nic
`* Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5Mike Easter
 `* Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5Nic
  `* Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5Mike Easter
   `- Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5Mike Easter

1
Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5

<KmC1M.2334094$iS99.719183@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5961&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5961

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Subject: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:18:34 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 21:18 UTC

I managed to boot a 32 bit LMDE5 from a 32 gb thumb drive,  to an old
Dell 5600. My question has to do with storing some kind of persistence,
understand I am not looking for a dual booting scenario. I have a 500 gb
ssd  partitioned into 2, both ntfs, primary part is w7 32 bit. I would
like to take a part of the 2 partition to store the Linux stuff. Can it
be done?

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5

<kaof5nFi0nnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5963&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5963

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:46:10 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 22:46 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I managed to boot a 32 bit LMDE5 from a 32 gb thumb drive,  to an old
> Dell 5600. My question has to do with storing some kind of persistence,
> understand I am not looking for a dual booting scenario. I have a 500 gb
> ssd  partitioned into 2, both ntfs, primary part is w7 32 bit. I would
> like to take a part of the 2 partition to store the Linux stuff. Can it
> be done?

For ubuntu and debian live w/ persistence, I like the tool mkusb, but I
haven't actually tested it on LMDE.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/install-to-debian How to
install mkusb in Debian

Those instructions assume that you are starting from 'scratch' rather
than from the point you are now.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5

<20230424185800.1687592f83634a01537a7f9e@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5964&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5964

From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 18:58:00 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 22:58 UTC

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:46:10 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
> > I managed to boot a 32 bit LMDE5 from a 32 gb thumb drive,  to an old
> > Dell 5600. My question has to do with storing some kind of persistence,
> > understand I am not looking for a dual booting scenario. I have a 500 gb
> > ssd  partitioned into 2, both ntfs, primary part is w7 32 bit. I would
> > like to take a part of the 2 partition to store the Linux stuff. Can it
> > be done?
>
> For ubuntu and debian live w/ persistence, I like the tool mkusb, but I
> haven't actually tested it on LMDE.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/install-to-debian How to
> install mkusb in Debian
>
> Those instructions assume that you are starting from 'scratch' rather
> than from the point you are now.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

You are saying that what I want to do is better done with mkusb, https://ostechnix.com/how-to-create-persistent-live-usb-on-ubuntu/

So the persistence is on the thumb drive rather than on the 2nd partition.

Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5

<kaoh8iFiakjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5965&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5965

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:21:53 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 23:21 UTC

Nic wrote:
> You are saying that what I want to do is better done with
> mkusb,https://ostechnix.com/how-to-create-persistent-live-usb-on-ubuntu/
>
> So the persistence is on the thumb drive rather than on the 2nd
> partition.

No; I was thinking of the SSD 'taking the place' of the USB.

Just as I would use an SSD for Ventoy live 'usb-like' boots instead of a
USB.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5

<kaohl9Fic90U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5966&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5966

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:28:40 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 23:28 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> You are saying that what I want to do is better done with
>> mkusb,https://ostechnix.com/how-to-create-persistent-live-usb-on-ubuntu/

So the persistence is on the thumb drive rather than on the 2nd
>> partition.
>
> No; I was thinking of the SSD 'taking the place' of the USB.
>
> Just as I would use an SSD for Ventoy live 'usb-like' boots instead
> of a USB.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2357317 Run 'Live Linux' on
external SSD rather than USB stick?

--
Mike Easter

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Is it possible to have persistence with LMDE5