From: dieterhansbritz@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: hl
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 11:47:27 +0100
 by: db - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 10:47 UTC

In a LaTeX document, I can highlight bits of text using the
package color,soul and \hl{...} in the body. But this doesn't
work for citations, equations and maybe other things. How do I
hjghlight these?
--
Dieter Britz

Re: hl

<k1p4p4Fh60fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5936&group=comp.text.tex#5936

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: hl
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:28:36 +0000
 by: Peter Flynn - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:28 UTC

On 05/01/2023 10:47, db wrote:
> In a LaTeX document, I can highlight bits of text using the
> package color, soul and \hl{...} in the body. But this doesn't
> work for citations, equations and maybe other things. How do I
> hjghlight these?

By "highlight" do you mean "change font" or "change color" or something
else?

If you use the xcolor package, you can specify a color for links, so
citations would change to that color.

I don't understand what highlighting an equation is meant to do? Make it
a different color?

Peter

Re: hl

<tp8jso$3419i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5937&group=comp.text.tex#5937

From: dieterhansbritz@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 08:50:48 +0100
 by: db - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 07:50 UTC

On 06.01.2023 00.28, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 05/01/2023 10:47, db wrote:
>> In a LaTeX document, I can highlight bits of text using the
>> package color, soul and \hl{...} in the body. But this doesn't
>> work for citations, equations and maybe other things. How do I
>> hjghlight these?
>
> By "highlight" do you mean "change font" or "change color" or something
> else?
>
> If you use the xcolor package, you can specify a color for links, so
> citations would change to that color.
>
> I don't understand what highlighting an equation is meant to do? Make it
> a different color?
>
> Peter

The package color,soul enables the markup \hl{...} which superimposes
a colour onto the text, in my case yellow, except for citations and
equations and probably other things. When you resubmit an article
to a journal after getting critical remarks from reviewers, you are
asked to provide a version with changes highlighted in this way, and
that might include equations.
--
Dieter Britz

Re: hl

<k1q82dFlv4aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5938&group=comp.text.tex#5938

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:30:53 +0000
 by: Peter Flynn - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:30 UTC

On 06/01/2023 07:50, db wrote:
> On 06.01.2023 00.28, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> On 05/01/2023 10:47, db wrote:
>>> In a LaTeX document, I can highlight bits of text using the
>>> package color, soul and \hl{...} in the body. But this doesn't
>>> work for citations, equations and maybe other things. How do I
>>> hjghlight these?
>>
>> By "highlight" do you mean "change font" or "change color" or
>> something else?
>>
>> If you use the xcolor package, you can specify a color for links, so
>> citations would change to that color.
>>
>> I don't understand what highlighting an equation is meant to do? Make
>> it a different color?
>>
>> Peter
>
> The package color,soul enables the markup \hl{...} which superimposes
> a colour onto the text, in my case yellow,

OK.

> except for citations and equations and probably other things.

Yes, \hl is only intended for static text, not more commands inside it.

> When you resubmit an article to a journal after getting critical
> remarks from reviewers, you are asked to provide a version with
> changes highlighted in this way, and that might include equations.
Ah, OK. You don't need soul for this, as xcolor already provides most of
what you want. The trick with equations (or anything bigger than a few
words) is to capture it into a box first, then highlight the box.

============================ test.tex ==========================
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xcolor,soul}
\usepackage[backend=biber,style=authoryear]{biblatex}
\addbibresource{test.bib}
\newsavebox{\HLbox}
\newenvironment{HL}{%
\setbox\HLbox=\vbox\bgroup\advance\hsize by-2\parindent}{%
\egroup\colorbox{yellow}{\box\HLbox}}
\fboxsep1pt
\begin{document}
This is some \hl{text} that was changed
\colorbox{yellow}{\parencite{latexguide}} and an inline equation
\colorbox{yellow}{\(E=mc^2\)}.

and displayed equations

\begin{HL}
\[E=mc^2\]
\end{HL}

\printbibliography
\end{document}
========================= test.bib ==============================
@book{latexguide,
author = {Marc {van Dongen}},
title = {{\LaTeX{} and Friends}},
publisher = {Springer},
address = {Berlin},
uri = {http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783642238154},
year = {2012},
isbn = {978-3-642-23815-4}}

Peter

Re: hl

<tp8vji$1q5r$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5939&group=comp.text.tex#5939

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 11:10:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 11:10 UTC

In article <k1q82dFlv4aU1@mid.individual.net>, Peter Flynn
<peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> >> By "highlight" do you mean "change font" or "change color" or
> >> something else?
> >>
> >> If you use the xcolor package, you can specify a color for links, so
> >> citations would change to that color.
> >>
> >> I don't understand what highlighting an equation is meant to do? Make
> >> it a different color?

> > except for citations and equations and probably other things.
>
> Yes, \hl is only intended for static text, not more commands inside it.
>
> > When you resubmit an article to a journal after getting critical
> > remarks from reviewers, you are asked to provide a version with
> > changes highlighted in this way, and that might include equations.

> Ah, OK. You don't need soul for this, as xcolor already provides most of
> what you want. The trick with equations (or anything bigger than a few
> words) is to capture it into a box first, then highlight the box.

In such cases, it makes sense to define a command to do the
highlighting, put the text to be highlighted into the argument of that
command, regenerate the paper, then, for your final version, redefine
the command to do nothing, rather than removing it from the text.

Re: hl

<k1qvdcFplv2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5940&group=comp.text.tex#5940

From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 18:09:16 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:09 UTC

Why reinvent the wheel?

would latexdiff work?

el

On 06/01/2023 13:10, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

>>> except for citations and equations and probably other things.
>>
>> Yes, \hl is only intended for static text, not more commands inside it.
>>
>>> When you resubmit an article to a journal after getting critical
>>> remarks from reviewers, you are asked to provide a version with
>>> changes highlighted in this way, and that might include equations.
>
>> Ah, OK. You don't need soul for this, as xcolor already provides most of
>> what you want. The trick with equations (or anything bigger than a few
>> words) is to capture it into a box first, then highlight the box.
>
> In such cases, it makes sense to define a command to do the
> highlighting, put the text to be highlighted into the argument of that
> command, regenerate the paper, then, for your final version, redefine
> the command to do nothing, rather than removing it from the text.

Re: hl

<tpc0pl$3hb2d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5945&group=comp.text.tex#5945

From: dieterhansbritz@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 15:49:25 +0100
 by: db - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:49 UTC

On 06.01.2023 17.09, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> Why reinvent the wheel?
>
> would latexdiff work?

That looks worth trying out, which I will.

Dieter