From: Ar@127.0.0.1 (Ar)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Mysql access after clean Mageia 9 install
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 10:41:24 +0000
 by: Ar - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 10:41 UTC

I copied over all the MySQL stuff from the old install to the new clean
install of Mageia9, but in the new install it is not running properly.

Mageia 9, x86_64, fully up to date.

Hostname has been set to "rooster", it is remembered after reboots.

When I try logging in to Mysql with the following command and the
password I set up in the Mag7 install, I am granted access to MySQL.
mysql -u root -p

However, when I try access the database as I have done for years with
the following and the same password:
mysql rooster -u root -p
I get the error:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to server on 'rooster' (115)

If I try:
mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p
I get the error:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to server on '127.0.0.1' (115)

Searching online suggests a configuration problem, but of what?

MySQL runs, one database is confirmed working, digikam says there's an
unspecified error with its database - If I need to I can make a new one,
but would lose ratings and other data of photos, so would like to save it.

I can't check on the digikam database without access to mysql in the
first place. I have intentionally destroyed the "mysql" database and all
the other files as if it was a new install. The system re-creates all
the files needed to run, but the same problem exists.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on, maybe some file I forgot to
copy over. I did copy my.cnf from the older install.

Re: Mysql access after clean Mageia 9 install

<unblar$kf0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5929&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5929

From: Ar@127.0.0.1 (Ar)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Mysql access after clean Mageia 9 install
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 13:41:46 +0000
 by: Ar - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 13:41 UTC

On 02/01/2024 15:57, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> Searching online suggests a configuration problem, but of what?
>>
> There's more than one place where the database files are stored.
>
> The mysql command error is likely due to the system wide mysql server not
> running. The system wide database is normally stored in "/var/lib/mysql/"
> What does "systemctl status mysqld.service" show?
>
> The digikam error is due to the digikam's own database, by default that
> is a
> mysql database stored in "~/Pictures/*.db".
>
> I'm not sure how to go about upgrading the digikam sql db. The Mageia
> upgrade
> procedure is not allowed to change files in /home, as the directories
> there may
> or may not be accessible during the upgrade. For example, I use sshfs to
> mount
> a directory during my login. The root user cannot access any files or
> directories
> in that mount.

Hi David, apologies for not replying sooner.

It's taken me a long while and lots of frustration to figure out what
has gone wrong, and try fixing the clean install. So I'll make it short.

I was booting between Mageia 8 and Mageia 9 copying over files I had
missed in archiving before I decided on the clean install. However, I
read a long time ago that it was advised that user IDs on install would
be changed from 1000 upwards. So some years ago I changed the user IDs
on the system to start from 1000.

Unknown to me (because it doesn't show in the installation screen IIRC),
Mageia still makes the user 500. So logging in between the two, caused a
lot of mess in my /home drive, especially with the KDE plasma install.

As for the databases, I had a lot of problems getting MySql (MariaDB) to
work properly with sockets and a named server or 127.0.0.1. I had a lot
of "restarted server too fast, reached your limit" nonsense, which
eventually I figured could only be fixed with reboots. Permissions on
the directories weren't the only problem.

The databases themselves, Amarok was fine, the databases I made for my
work worked fine, but for some reason digikam database had lots of
issues that it was like fighting an oil fire. So I decided to rename it,
and start a new digikam database from scratch, losing tags and other
information, but that's not a Critical problem.

I still need to sort Apache permissions, but that's a different problem.

I've since got an SSD enclosure so anything I need from the old install
I plug in to USB3 and avoid making any more mess of /home.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.