From: jim.beard@verizon.net (Jim)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: How should I remove KDE desktop from one of my systems ?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 03:09:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 03:09 UTC

I have a backup workstation that I have been upgrading for years.
It goes back at least to Mageia 4, and in those early years
it used the KDE desktop.

I abandoned the KDE desktop in favor of wayland perhaps in
Mageia 7, but following my recent upgrade to Mageia 9
I have been having problem with the OS freezing up for
periods of variable length. Use of ps allowed me to
find baloo indexing (which I had forgotten was on the system)
and disabling that help things run better. But problems
remain.

There are many KDE desktop rpms on the system, and some
kde executables are running, such as kded5, sycoca, and
akonadi. These seem to be part of the problem, particularly
the indexing programs such as akonadi and kded5.

Can I simply create a list of all rpms recognizable as
kde rpms and remove them with urpme or rpm -e ?

I will probably install Mageia 9 or 10 to a new disk slice
with over 100GB, but if I can get by with remaining lazy
and just erasing kde rpms I would like to stay lazy.

Opinions if this would work ?

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely
expects users to be computer friendly.

Re: How should I remove KDE desktop from one of my systems ?

<ulohdm$3bfkm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5907&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5907

From: bliss-sf4ever@dslextreme.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 20:22:13 -0800
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 04:22 UTC

On 12/17/23 19:09, Jim wrote:
> I have a backup workstation that I have been upgrading for years.
> It goes back at least to Mageia 4, and in those early years
> it used the KDE desktop.
>
> I abandoned the KDE desktop in favor of wayland perhaps in
> Mageia 7, but following my recent upgrade to Mageia 9
> I have been having problem with the OS freezing up for
> periods of variable length. Use of ps allowed me to
> find baloo indexing (which I had forgotten was on the system)
> and disabling that help things run better. But problems
> remain.
>
> There are many KDE desktop rpms on the system, and some
> kde executables are running, such as kded5, sycoca, and
> akonadi. These seem to be part of the problem, particularly
> the indexing programs such as akonadi and kded5.
>
> Can I simply create a list of all rpms recognizable as
> kde rpms and remove them with urpme or rpm -e ?
>
> I will probably install Mageia 9 or 10 to a new disk slice
> with over 100GB, but if I can get by with remaining lazy
> and just erasing kde rpms I would like to stay lazy.
>
> Opinions if this would work ?
>
> Cheers!
>
> jim b.

Wait until next year when KDE will release Plasma 6
with Wayland support. And some parts of your post seem
senseless to me. KDE and Wayland are not competing Desktop
Enviroments.
Not that I am using Mageia so wait a bit and
someone will address your ridiculuous idea of removing
KDE's Plasma 5 in favor of Wayland which is only a
replacement for X.

bliss - Dell Precision 7730- PCLOS 2023.12- Linux 6.5.13- Plasma 5.27.10