Within a computer, natural language is unnatural.

computers / comp.text.tex / BibTeX: author field: "with"

SubjectAuthor
* BibTeX: author field: "with"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply
+* Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"Axel Berger
|`* Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply
| `- Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"Axel Berger
`* Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"Peter Flynn
 `- Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply

1
BibTeX: author field: "with"

<tovi5v$1eio$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5905&group=comp.text.tex#5905

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: BibTeX: author field: "with"
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 21:26:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 21:26 UTC

Some books are listed as being written by "John Doe [then usually
switching to smaller print] with Jane Roe".

Obviously, one could put a literal string in the author field. However,
the BibTeX style then can't format the author as intended. Any ideas?

Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"

<63B41452.EFC7D3B1@Berger-Odenthal.De>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5908&group=comp.text.tex#5908

From: Spam@Berger-Odenthal.De (Axel Berger)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 12:41:06 +0100
 by: Axel Berger - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 11:41 UTC

"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)" wrote:
> Some books are listed as being written by "John Doe [then usually
> switching to smaller print] with Jane Roe".

I haven't ever seen that except on title pages and wouldn't endorse it
anywhere else. In lists I'd consider it wrong or at least ill advised.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069

Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"

<tp23bf$ri3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5915&group=comp.text.tex#5915

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 20:31:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 20:31 UTC

In article <63B41452.EFC7D3B1@Berger-Odenthal.De>, Axel Berger <Spam@Berger-Odenthal.De> writes:
> "Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)" wrote:
> > Some books are listed as being written by "John Doe [then usually
> > switching to smaller print] with Jane Roe".
>
> I haven't ever seen that except on title pages and wouldn't endorse it
> anywhere else. In lists I'd consider it wrong or at least ill advised.

Prompted by a real-world example. Also appears on the front cover. I
think that all the examples of this I have seen had it on the front
cover. Where else would the author be if not on the front cover and/or
title page?

If the person did enough to get almost but not quite a co-authorship
so to speak, then it makes sense to include them.

Or should one just treat them as an additional author? In most cases,
the lead author is famous (often for reasons other than being an author)
and the second author is a "visible ghost writer".

Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"

<k1jkv9F6676U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5916&group=comp.text.tex#5916

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 21:28:08 +0000
 by: Peter Flynn - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 21:28 UTC

On 02/01/2023 21:26, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> Some books are listed as being written by "John Doe [then usually
> switching to smaller print] with Jane Roe".
>
> Obviously, one could put a literal string in the author field.
> However, the BibTeX style then can't format the author as intended.
> Any ideas?
It would be interesting to give "with" the same status as "and" in the
author field of a BiBTeX file, but the changes involved would have
severe implications.

BTW I have always assumed that there was no-one actually called "and"
(all lower-case; either forename or surname or particle). Has this ever
been shown to be untrue?

Peter

Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"

<tp2816$s2b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5917&group=comp.text.tex#5917

From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 21:51:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 21:51 UTC

In article <k1jkv9F6676U1@mid.individual.net>, Peter Flynn
<peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> On 02/01/2023 21:26, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> > Some books are listed as being written by "John Doe [then usually
> > switching to smaller print] with Jane Roe".
> >
> > Obviously, one could put a literal string in the author field.
> > However, the BibTeX style then can't format the author as intended.
> > Any ideas?
> It would be interesting to give "with" the same status as "and" in the
> author field of a BiBTeX file, but the changes involved would have
> severe implications.

Not the same status (in that case, I could just write "and"), but make
it a recognized keyword, like "and" and "and others", which the style
files know about and can format as appropriate.

Come to think of it, technically a "with" author is a co-author, the
only difference being the relative fame, so I think that I'll just go
with that, unless someone has a better solution.

> BTW I have always assumed that there was no-one actually called "and"
> (all lower-case; either forename or surname or particle). Has this ever
> been shown to be untrue?

If there is, could one just make them {and}?

Re: BibTeX: author field: "with"

<63B4A4D9.52DEBC3C@Berger-Odenthal.De>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5918&group=comp.text.tex#5918

From: Spam@Berger-Odenthal.De (Axel Berger)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 22:57:45 +0100
 by: Axel Berger - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 21:57 UTC

"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)" wrote:
> Where else would the author be if not on the front cover and/or
> title page?

I misunderstood your question. BibTeX is about bibliographies. Now I see
you meant, what to about that secondary author. Seems you have to
decide, either "and" or omit him. I've done both but can give no
reasonable rule for why or why not.