From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: MGA9, Xfce4, xscreensaver: energy manag. broken
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:13:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:13 UTC

Hello all,

after upgrading to MGA9 my HP 24" monitor is no longer switched off
automatically after a certain time.
I have set xscreensaver as the default screensaver,
in xfce4 "Application autostart" Power manag. is set to start on login,
in xfce4 power manager, "Display power management" is set to "switch off
after" 15 min.
If I wait for that time and don't touch anything, the monitor still shows
xscreensaver's pictures.

Anyone have a solution, or know how to test in detail?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: MGA9, Xfce4, xscreensaver: energy manag. broken

<uff08i$32a0s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5814&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5814

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: MGA9, Xfce4, xscreensaver: energy manag. broken
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:56:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:56 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:13:32 -0000 (UTC) Markus Robert Kessler wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> after upgrading to MGA9 my HP 24" monitor is no longer switched off
> automatically after a certain time.
> I have set xscreensaver as the default screensaver,
> in xfce4 "Application autostart" Power manag. is set to start on login,
> in xfce4 power manager, "Display power management" is set to "switch off
> after" 15 min.
> If I wait for that time and don't touch anything, the monitor still
> shows xscreensaver's pictures.

In MGA9 there are many things messed up. What I've found out is, for
instance, that xfce's energy settings do not take effect at all, though
they look like coworking with xscreensaver's settings, and xscreensaver
"forgets" its settings, so that every checked box is unchecked after
leaving and reentering. So, it's never clear what xscreensaver does. After
opening the settings form and reading the values, they should be displayed
correctly, as it was in former versions.

Markus

Re: MGA9, Xfce4, xscreensaver: energy manag. broken

<ufglmv$3fo5q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5816&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5816

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:08:48 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 09:08 UTC

Markus Robert Kessler wrote on 3/10/23 4:56 am:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:13:32 -0000 (UTC) Markus Robert Kessler
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> after upgrading to MGA9 my HP 24" monitor is no longer switched
>> off automatically after a certain time. I have set xscreensaver as
>> the default screensaver, in xfce4 "Application autostart" Power
>> manag. is set to start on login, in xfce4 power manager, "Display
>> power management" is set to "switch off after" 15 min. If I wait
>> for that time and don't touch anything, the monitor still shows
>> xscreensaver's pictures.
>
> In MGA9 there are many things messed up. What I've found out is, for
> instance, that xfce's energy settings do not take effect at all,
> though they look like coworking with xscreensaver's settings, and
> xscreensaver "forgets" its settings, so that every checked box is
> unchecked after leaving and reentering. So, it's never clear what
> xscreensaver does. After opening the settings form and reading the
> values, they should be displayed correctly, as it was in former
> versions.
>
> Markus

Hmm!! "so that every checked box is unchecked after leaving and
reentering" .... Could it be the preferences file is set to "Read Only"??
--
Daniel

Re: MGA9, Xfce4, xscreensaver: energy manag. broken

<ufjtu6$bdee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5821&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5821

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:47:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:47 UTC

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:08:48 +1100 Daniel65 wrote:

> Markus Robert Kessler wrote on 3/10/23 4:56 am:
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:13:32 -0000 (UTC) Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> after upgrading to MGA9 my HP 24" monitor is no longer switched off
>>> automatically after a certain time. I have set xscreensaver as the
>>> default screensaver, in xfce4 "Application autostart" Power manag. is
>>> set to start on login, in xfce4 power manager, "Display power
>>> management" is set to "switch off after" 15 min. If I wait for that
>>> time and don't touch anything, the monitor still shows xscreensaver's
>>> pictures.
>>
>> In MGA9 there are many things messed up. What I've found out is, for
>> instance, that xfce's energy settings do not take effect at all, though
>> they look like coworking with xscreensaver's settings, and xscreensaver
>> "forgets" its settings, so that every checked box is unchecked after
>> leaving and reentering. So, it's never clear what xscreensaver does.
>> After opening the settings form and reading the values, they should be
>> displayed correctly, as it was in former versions.
>>
>> Markus
>>
> Hmm!! "so that every checked box is unchecked after leaving and
> reentering" .... Could it be the preferences file is set to "Read
> Only"??

Hi, good point, thanks!
Unfortunately, that seems not to be the "root cause" -- I tested with a
newly created user and empty home space and the same occurred.

Best regards,
Markus