From: jim.beard@verizon.net (Jim)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: MGA9-Evolution Password Glitch
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:18:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:18 UTC

I upgraded my Mageia 8 to 9 this morning, intending to download
the upgrade software in its entirety and install a new Classic
version on new partitions. I failed to indicate that the download
should only be to disk, and once the upgrade started writing I
chose to let it run to completion rather than interrupt it.

The only major problem discovered so far is that when I
try to download my Evolution mail from aol to my main machine
upgraded, I am first told to enter my password (which works
at aol website and on my backup machine) and, and after
repeated failures I get a message claiming inability to
connect to the pop server, with
Error sending password: Broken pipe.

Has anyone else run into the problem?

Currently, I can still get my mail on my backup machine
and laptop. I am reluctant to make changes at the aol
website or change the password as I might lose that ability.

Any information or advice to pass on ?

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely
expects users to be computer friendly.

Re: MGA9-Evolution Password Glitch

<op.2a2va1zra3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5782&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5782

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: MGA9-Evolution Password Glitch
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 18:55:39 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 22:55 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:18:47 -0400, Jim <jim.beard@verizon.net> wrote:

> I upgraded my Mageia 8 to 9 this morning, intending to download
> the upgrade software in its entirety and install a new Classic
> version on new partitions. I failed to indicate that the download
> should only be to disk, and once the upgrade started writing I
> chose to let it run to completion rather than interrupt it.
>
> The only major problem discovered so far is that when I
> try to download my Evolution mail from aol to my main machine
> upgraded, I am first told to enter my password (which works
> at aol website and on my backup machine) and, and after
> repeated failures I get a message claiming inability to
> connect to the pop server, with
> Error sending password: Broken pipe.
>
> Has anyone else run into the problem?
>
> Currently, I can still get my mail on my backup machine
> and laptop. I am reluctant to make changes at the aol
> website or change the password as I might lose that ability.
>
> Any information or advice to pass on ?

See if points 8 or 10.1 at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Evolution#Using_Evolution_Outside_Of_Gnome
help with it.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: MGA9-Evolution Password Glitch

<udprv0$1j8n8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5783&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5783

From: jim.beard@verizon.net (Jim)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:18:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:18 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:18:47 -0000 (UTC), Jim wrote:

> I upgraded my Mageia 8 to 9 this morning, intending to download
> the upgrade software in its entirety and install a new Classic
> version on new partitions. I failed to indicate that the download
> should only be to disk, and once the upgrade started writing I
> chose to let it run to completion rather than interrupt it.
>
> The only major problem discovered so far is that when I
> try to download my Evolution mail from aol to my main machine
> upgraded, I am first told to enter my password (which works
> at aol website and on my backup machine) and, and after
> repeated failures I get a message claiming inability to
> connect to the pop server, with
> Error sending password: Broken pipe.
>
> Has anyone else run into the problem?
>
> Currently, I can still get my mail on my backup machine
> and laptop. I am reluctant to make changes at the aol
> website or change the password as I might lose that ability.
>
> Any information or advice to pass on ?
>
> Cheers!
>
> jim b.

AOL has a special process to generate a password for
mail programs not among their usual MicroSloth and
Mac soft.
And they have recently revised their software that
is used to create that password. Upgrading from
Mageia 8 to Mageia 9 somehow invalidated the old
Evolution password on that machine (only), and the
new software at AOL would not create a new one.
I will be waiting a few days and then try again.
Until then, I will be reading my mail on the AOL
website.

Cheers!

jim b.