From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: EventID.net gone. Alternative?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:31:59 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 22:31 UTC

I couldn't reach eventid.net when I was testing my bookmarks (site
exists but is unresponsive, error 522 - connection timed out).
According to web.archive.org, the eventid.net site disappeared sometime
after May 13, 2021 (5xx server errors). The site vaporized, became
unresponsive, or no one is administering it to fix a problem with its
web server. Last update of their domain registration was 2019-02-08
which expires 2022-02-20, so their domain is still registered for
another 4 months, but looks like they dropped the site.

Any good alternatives to eventid.net to get descriptions of error codes?
I found:

https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/

but not familiar with it to know if it provides the same info that
eventid.net did.

Re: EventID.net gone. Alternative?

<oillng5llhad8muu62u91hhtoli63r0lau@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57605&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57605

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: EventID.net gone. Alternative?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:58:15 +0100
 by: John - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:58 UTC

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:31:59 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>I couldn't reach eventid.net when I was testing my bookmarks (site
>exists but is unresponsive, error 522 - connection timed out).
>According to web.archive.org, the eventid.net site disappeared sometime
>after May 13, 2021 (5xx server errors). The site vaporized, became
>unresponsive, or no one is administering it to fix a problem with its
>web server. Last update of their domain registration was 2019-02-08
>which expires 2022-02-20, so their domain is still registered for
>another 4 months, but looks like they dropped the site.
>
>Any good alternatives to eventid.net to get descriptions of error codes?
>I found:
>
>https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/
>
>but not familiar with it to know if it provides the same info that
>eventid.net did.

Random thought: if it is on the WayBack Machine, could you mirror it
somehow? Or would that be anti-copyright and stuff?

J.

Re: EventID.net gone. Alternative?

<1m7txxiby33hv$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57619&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57619

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:54:42 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 22:54 UTC

John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:31:59 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>I couldn't reach eventid.net when I was testing my bookmarks (site
>>exists but is unresponsive, error 522 - connection timed out).
>>According to web.archive.org, the eventid.net site disappeared sometime
>>after May 13, 2021 (5xx server errors). The site vaporized, became
>>unresponsive, or no one is administering it to fix a problem with its
>>web server. Last update of their domain registration was 2019-02-08
>>which expires 2022-02-20, so their domain is still registered for
>>another 4 months, but looks like they dropped the site.
>>
>>Any good alternatives to eventid.net to get descriptions of error codes?
>>I found:
>>
>>https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/
>>
>>but not familiar with it to know if it provides the same info that
>>eventid.net did.
>
> Random thought: if it is on the WayBack Machine, could you mirror it
> somehow? Or would that be anti-copyright and stuff?

It would be very slow. web.archive.org can retrieve old copies of site
for when it crawled those sites, but the latest version may not be what
you want, like it says "We discontinuing this site" which help you
lookup event IDs. First, it takes time to search its database of
snapshots to find how many there are, and when they were taken (day and
time). Then, when you pick a snapshot, it has to load that page from
its archive which is often much slower than was the site's response.

The web archive is great. It isn't lightning fast.

Re: EventID.net gone. Alternative?

<5k9ong97jbh99sa1vrodb91sgou3hhmait@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57633&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57633

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:54:41 +0100
 by: John - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:54 UTC

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:54:42 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:31:59 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>>I couldn't reach eventid.net when I was testing my bookmarks (site
>>>exists but is unresponsive, error 522 - connection timed out).
>>>According to web.archive.org, the eventid.net site disappeared sometime
>>>after May 13, 2021 (5xx server errors). The site vaporized, became
>>>unresponsive, or no one is administering it to fix a problem with its
>>>web server. Last update of their domain registration was 2019-02-08
>>>which expires 2022-02-20, so their domain is still registered for
>>>another 4 months, but looks like they dropped the site.
>>>
>>>Any good alternatives to eventid.net to get descriptions of error codes?
>>>I found:
>>>
>>>https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/
>>>
>>>but not familiar with it to know if it provides the same info that
>>>eventid.net did.
>>
>> Random thought: if it is on the WayBack Machine, could you mirror it
>> somehow? Or would that be anti-copyright and stuff?
>
>It would be very slow. web.archive.org can retrieve old copies of site
>for when it crawled those sites, but the latest version may not be what
>you want, like it says "We discontinuing this site" which help you
>lookup event IDs. First, it takes time to search its database of
>snapshots to find how many there are, and when they were taken (day and
>time). Then, when you pick a snapshot, it has to load that page from
>its archive which is often much slower than was the site's response.
>
>The web archive is great. It isn't lightning fast.

So, it;s a bad idea. Got it. Thank you for answering.

But ... if someone had a box that was sitting doing Prime95 or BOINC
or some other distributed computing effort in the background and that
was never used for anything else, maybe mirroring in the foreground
wouldn't cost too much effort?

Of course, it *would* use WBM resources so it may not be polite to do
something like this without asking someone.

J.

Re: EventID.net gone. Alternative?

<1vj7fn12h0m6s.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57636&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57636

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:17:47 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:17 UTC

John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:54:42 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

>>> Random thought: if it is on the WayBack Machine, could you mirror it
>>> somehow? Or would that be anti-copyright and stuff?
>>
>>It would be very slow. web.archive.org can retrieve old copies of site
>>for when it crawled those sites, but the latest version may not be what
>>you want, like it says "We discontinuing this site" which help you
>>lookup event IDs. First, it takes time to search its database of
>>snapshots to find how many there are, and when they were taken (day and
>>time). Then, when you pick a snapshot, it has to load that page from
>>its archive which is often much slower than was the site's response.
>>
>>The web archive is great. It isn't lightning fast.
>
> So, it;s a bad idea. Got it. Thank you for answering.
>
> But ... if someone had a box that was sitting doing Prime95 or BOINC
> or some other distributed computing effort in the background and that
> was never used for anything else, maybe mirroring in the foreground
> wouldn't cost too much effort?
>
> Of course, it *would* use WBM resources so it may not be polite to do
> something like this without asking someone.

I don't understand what you intend as a solution. Mirroring through a
front-end alternative server would still be trying to reach a dead site.
A live site trying to show a dead site would still result in reaching a
dead site.

Since eventid.net is dead, no way to crawl it to scrape its web pages to
then present at a different server. You could grab pages from
web.archive.org, but you would have to know what were the URLs for all
the web pages. I don't know how you can use a web crawler against
web.archive.org on just a particular web site it archived. In fact,
web.archive.org probably qualifies as the mirroring you mentioned, but
at dated snapshots, but that's a slow way to find all web pages that
web.archive.org grabbed before the original site died.

It's been a long time since I visited the eventid.net site, so I don't
know if the one that I found as an alternative has all the same info.

Re: EventID.net gone. Alternative?

<iu30aqF3t1jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57642&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57642

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 20:28:26 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:28 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Since eventid.net is dead, no way to crawl it to scrape its web pages to
> then present at a different server. You could grab pages from
> web.archive.org, but you would have to know what were the URLs for all
> the web pages.

At one time, the eventid.net site provided a map of all events it knew about

<https://web.archive.org/web/20081216061704/http://www.eventid.net/events.asp>

so you could iterate through each of them e.g

<https://web.archive.org/web/20100711053952/http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4&source=>

<https://web.archive.org/web/20111006050944/http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5&source=>

You might extract a reasonable amount of data, or you might not ...

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: EventID.net gone. Alternative?