From: curmudgeon@mailinator.com (Optimist)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Storage Sense not removing items from Recycle Bin
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 07:27:01 +0100
 by: Optimist - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 06:27 UTC

I have configured storage sense to empty items from the Recycle Bin after they have been there for
60 days. However, items are left in the Recycle Bin after they should have been deleted, despite
Storage Sense being run daily. I have tried the Free up space now option but the items are still
there.

I wonder if it is because the items are in a partition of my hard drive which has plenty of space?

Re: Storage Sense not removing items from Recycle Bin

<mb9cJ.786$Np3.37@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57356&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57356

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 04:05:36 -0400
 by: Bill - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 08:05 UTC

On 10/21/2021 2:27 AM, Optimist wrote:
> I have configured storage sense to empty items from the Recycle Bin after they have been there for
> 60 days. However, items are left in the Recycle Bin after they should have been deleted, despite
> Storage Sense being run daily. I have tried the Free up space now option but the items are still
> there.
>
> I wonder if it is because the items are in a partition of my hard drive which has plenty of space?

I can only guess at what "Storage Sense" is, but I would remove it, and
try again. Be sure to click "refresh". If that didn't work, I would
open a command prompt, and delete them directly with command "del". I
sort of recollect running into some "stubborn" files like this a very
long time ago. Make sure you have administrator privileges.

Re: Storage Sense not removing items from Recycle Bin

<skr9u5$jnd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57357&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57357

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 04:55:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 08:55 UTC

On 10/21/2021 4:05 AM, Bill wrote:
> On 10/21/2021 2:27 AM, Optimist wrote:
>> I have configured storage sense to empty items from the Recycle Bin after they have been there for
>> 60 days.  However, items are left in the Recycle Bin after they should have been deleted, despite
>> Storage Sense being run daily.  I have tried the Free up space now option but the items are still
>> there.
>>
>> I wonder if it is because the items are in a partition of my hard drive which has plenty of space?
>>

> I can only guess at what "Storage Sense" is, but I would remove it, and try again.  Be sure to click "refresh". If that didn't work, I would open a command prompt, and delete them directly with command "del".  I sort of recollect running into some "stubborn" files like this a very long time ago.  Make sure you have administrator privileges.

Storage Sense is a feature of the OS.

I don't see this right now, but I'm probably
not looking in the right section for it. It
can rationalize the "online" info stored on OneDrive,
and the semantics of OneDrive changed at one point
(as to how files would be stored when a copy is
present on C: and present on OneDrive too).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-onedrive-and-storage-sense-in-windows-10-to-manage-disk-space-de5faa9a-6108-4be1-87a6-d90688d08a48

The rest of the functions, are an instantiation of
Cleanmgr.exe , minus the Windows.old deletion function
which is automated (ten days) anyway. In here, is a
statement that the function only works, when space is low.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MNF9K22/Storage-Sense-half-the-story.gif

I think it will warn when space is low on any drive, but
that automation seems to be mostly related to C: . If
there is a function to help a shortage of space on D:
then I don't see it in that feature set.

The most dangerous function the OS has, is it has an
"interest" in deleting the users Downloads directory content.
I definitely and for sure, do not approve of the OS taking
such an interest. It is one thing for the OS to use
%temp% for its clay pigeon, but leave my damn Downloads alone.

Paul

Re: Storage Sense not removing items from Recycle Bin

<gki2nghao96vou8s331hokdl730c1nqnmk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57359&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57359

From: curmudgeon@mailinator.com (Optimist)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 12:31:44 +0100
 by: Optimist - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 11:31 UTC

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 04:55:00 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 10/21/2021 4:05 AM, Bill wrote:
>> On 10/21/2021 2:27 AM, Optimist wrote:
>>> I have configured storage sense to empty items from the Recycle Bin after they have been there for
>>> 60 days.  However, items are left in the Recycle Bin after they should have been deleted, despite
>>> Storage Sense being run daily.  I have tried the Free up space now option but the items are still
>>> there.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it is because the items are in a partition of my hard drive which has plenty of space?
>>>

>> I can only guess at what "Storage Sense" is, but I would remove it, and try again.  Be sure to click "refresh". If that didn't work, I would open a command prompt, and delete them directly with command "del".  I sort of recollect running into some "stubborn" files like this a very long time ago.  Make sure you have administrator privileges.
>
>Storage Sense is a feature of the OS.
>
>I don't see this right now, but I'm probably
>not looking in the right section for it. It
>can rationalize the "online" info stored on OneDrive,
>and the semantics of OneDrive changed at one point
>(as to how files would be stored when a copy is
>present on C: and present on OneDrive too).
>
>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-onedrive-and-storage-sense-in-windows-10-to-manage-disk-space-de5faa9a-6108-4be1-87a6-d90688d08a48

I don't use Onedrive.

>The rest of the functions, are an instantiation of
>Cleanmgr.exe , minus the Windows.old deletion function
>which is automated (ten days) anyway. In here, is a
>statement that the function only works, when space is low.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/9MNF9K22/Storage-Sense-half-the-story.gif
>
>I think it will warn when space is low on any drive, but
>that automation seems to be mostly related to C: . If
>there is a function to help a shortage of space on D:
>then I don't see it in that feature set.

I think you are right - as nearly all the files I delete are on D: (with loads of free space), it is
probable that the function to automatically remove old RB files doesn't kick in.

>The most dangerous function the OS has, is it has an
>"interest" in deleting the users Downloads directory content.
>I definitely and for sure, do not approve of the OS taking
>such an interest. It is one thing for the OS to use
>%temp% for its clay pigeon, but leave my damn Downloads alone.

I agree, I don't let it delete anything from Downloads!

Many thanks for your advice.

Re: Storage Sense not removing items from Recycle Bin

<sksbom$c0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57373&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57373

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:32:54 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 18:32 UTC

On 10/21/2021 7:31 AM, Optimist wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 04:55:00 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> I can only guess at what "Storage Sense" is, but I would remove it, and try again.  Be sure to click "refresh". If that didn't work, I would open a command prompt, and delete them directly with command "del".  I sort of recollect running into some "stubborn" files like this a very long time ago.  Make sure you have administrator privileges.
>>
>> Storage Sense is a feature of the OS.
>>
>> I don't see this right now, but I'm probably
>> not looking in the right section for it. It
>> can rationalize the "online" info stored on OneDrive,
>> and the semantics of OneDrive changed at one point
>> (as to how files would be stored when a copy is
>> present on C: and present on OneDrive too).
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-onedrive-and-storage-sense-in-windows-10-to-manage-disk-space-de5faa9a-6108-4be1-87a6-d90688d08a48
>>

> I don't use Onedrive.
>

>> The rest of the functions, are an instantiation of
>> Cleanmgr.exe , minus the Windows.old deletion function
>> which is automated (ten days) anyway. In here, is a
>> statement that the function only works, when space is low.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/9MNF9K22/Storage-Sense-half-the-story.gif
>>
>> I think it will warn when space is low on any drive, but
>> that automation seems to be mostly related to C: . If
>> there is a function to help a shortage of space on D:
>> then I don't see it in that feature set.
>
> I think you are right - as nearly all the files I delete are on D: (with loads of free space), it is
> probable that the function to automatically remove old RB files doesn't kick in.
>

>> The most dangerous function the OS has, is it has an
>> "interest" in deleting the users Downloads directory content.
>> I definitely and for sure, do not approve of the OS taking
>> such an interest. It is one thing for the OS to use
>> %temp% for its clay pigeon, but leave my damn Downloads alone.
>>

> I agree, I don't let it delete anything from Downloads!
>
> Many thanks for your advice.

Maybe a better alternative is your own batch file using ForFiles. Part
of my daily batch follows.

:: Reduce C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp Files and Folders
:: ------------------------------------------------------------------
:: Remove files LAST ACCESSed OLDER than AGE
SET _SRC=C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp & SET AGE=30
FORFILES /P %_SRC% /S /C "CMD /C DEL /Q @path" /D -%AGE% > NUL 2>&1

:: Remove empty folders
FOR /f "delims=" %%i in ('DIR %_SRC% /AD /S /B ^| SORT /R') DO RD "%%i"
> NUL 2>&1

:: Reduce C:\Windows\Temp Files and Folders
:: ------------------------------------------------------------------
:: Remove files LAST ACCESSed OLDER than AGE
SET _SRC=C:\Windows\Temp & SET AGE=30
FORFILES /P %_SRC% /S /C "CMD /C DEL /Q @path" /D -%AGE% > NUL 2>&1

:: Remove empty folders
FOR /f "delims=" %%i in ('DIR %_SRC% /AD /S /B ^| SORT /R') DO RD "%%i"
> NUL 2>&1

Re: Storage Sense not removing items from Recycle Bin

<h1i3ng58djvvossf44qgen50eq13hlsaf4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57381&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57381

From: curmudgeon@mailinator.com (Optimist)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 21:13:37 +0100
 by: Optimist - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:13 UTC

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:32:54 -0400, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote:

>On 10/21/2021 7:31 AM, Optimist wrote:

>>> Storage Sense is a feature of the OS.
>>>
>>> I don't see this right now, but I'm probably
>>> not looking in the right section for it. It
>>> can rationalize the "online" info stored on OneDrive,
>>> and the semantics of OneDrive changed at one point
>>> (as to how files would be stored when a copy is
>>> present on C: and present on OneDrive too).
>>>
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-onedrive-and-storage-sense-in-windows-10-to-manage-disk-space-de5faa9a-6108-4be1-87a6-d90688d08a48
>>>

>> I don't use Onedrive.
>>

>>> The rest of the functions, are an instantiation of
>>> Cleanmgr.exe , minus the Windows.old deletion function
>>> which is automated (ten days) anyway. In here, is a
>>> statement that the function only works, when space is low.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/9MNF9K22/Storage-Sense-half-the-story.gif
>>>
>>> I think it will warn when space is low on any drive, but
>>> that automation seems to be mostly related to C: . If
>>> there is a function to help a shortage of space on D:
>>> then I don't see it in that feature set.
>>
>> I think you are right - as nearly all the files I delete are on D: (with loads of free space), it is
>> probable that the function to automatically remove old RB files doesn't kick in.
>>

>>> The most dangerous function the OS has, is it has an
>>> "interest" in deleting the users Downloads directory content.
>>> I definitely and for sure, do not approve of the OS taking
>>> such an interest. It is one thing for the OS to use
>>> %temp% for its clay pigeon, but leave my damn Downloads alone.
>>>

>> I agree, I don't let it delete anything from Downloads!
>>
>> Many thanks for your advice.
>

>Maybe a better alternative is your own batch file using ForFiles. Part
>of my daily batch follows.
>
>:: Reduce C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp Files and Folders
>:: ------------------------------------------------------------------
>:: Remove files LAST ACCESSed OLDER than AGE
>SET _SRC=C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp & SET AGE=30
>FORFILES /P %_SRC% /S /C "CMD /C DEL /Q @path" /D -%AGE% > NUL 2>&1
>
>:: Remove empty folders
>FOR /f "delims=" %%i in ('DIR %_SRC% /AD /S /B ^| SORT /R') DO RD "%%i"
> > NUL 2>&1
>
>:: Reduce C:\Windows\Temp Files and Folders
>:: Remove files LAST ACCESSed OLDER than AGE
>SET _SRC=C:\Windows\Temp & SET AGE=30
>FORFILES /P %_SRC% /S /C "CMD /C DEL /Q @path" /D -%AGE% > NUL 2>&1
>
>:: Remove empty folders
>FOR /f "delims=" %%i in ('DIR %_SRC% /AD /S /B ^| SORT /R') DO RD "%%i"
> > NUL 2>&1

Thank you. I'll bear this in mind if the problem becomes serious.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Storage Sense not removing items from Recycle Bin