From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: 10 Window Pro Cumulative Update
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:28:57 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 18:28 UTC

Running Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1; 19043.1237. Downloaded the cumulative
update KB500667 and when I run it I am told it does not apply my computer.
Need help.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: 10 Window Pro Cumulative Update

<214hj1ftozxc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57227&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57227

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: 10 Window Pro Cumulative Update
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:34:11 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 19:34 UTC

Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:

> Running Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1; 19043.1237. Downloaded the
> cumulative update KB500667 and when I run it I am told it does not
> apply my computer. Need help.

When you view update history under Feature Updates, is KB5006670 (not
KB600667) already installed. You said you downloaded the update which
implies you did not get it using the WU client in Windows, but instead
went to the catalog site (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com) to
download a copy to run it yourself. At the catalog site, there are 25
variants of that update that are dependent on the hardware platform and
the currently installed version of Windows 10, and the edition of Win10.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb5006670

Which one did you choose? What OS build did you have before? Server
edition of Win10? ARM64, x86, or x64?

Why download the update instead of let the WU client get it for you?

Re: 10 Window Pro Cumulative Update

<it118lFi9ceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57232&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57232

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:15:48 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:15 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
>
>> Running Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1; 19043.1237. Downloaded the
>> cumulative update KB500667 and when I run it I am told it does not
>> apply my computer. Need help.
>
> When you view update history under Feature Updates, is KB5006670 (not
> KB600667) already installed. You said you downloaded the update which
> implies you did not get it using the WU client in Windows, but instead
> went to the catalog site (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com) to
> download a copy to run it yourself. At the catalog site, there are 25
> variants of that update that are dependent on the hardware platform
> and the currently installed version of Windows 10, and the edition of
> Win10.
>
> https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb5006670
>
> Which one did you choose? What OS build did you have before? Server
> edition of Win10? ARM64, x86, or x64?
>
> Why download the update instead of let the WU client get it for you?

My bad. The list was so long I did not look far enough down it. I have the
right files now.

Thanks.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: 10 Window Pro Cumulative Update

<skgciu$rr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57239&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57239

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 01:33:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 05:33 UTC

On 10/16/2021 6:15 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Running Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1; 19043.1237. Downloaded the
>>> cumulative update KB500667 and when I run it I am told it does not
>>> apply my computer. Need help.
>>
>> When you view update history under Feature Updates, is KB5006670 (not
>> KB600667) already installed. You said you downloaded the update which
>> implies you did not get it using the WU client in Windows, but instead
>> went to the catalog site (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com) to
>> download a copy to run it yourself. At the catalog site, there are 25
>> variants of that update that are dependent on the hardware platform
>> and the currently installed version of Windows 10, and the edition of
>> Win10.
>>
>> https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb5006670
>>
>> Which one did you choose? What OS build did you have before? Server
>> edition of Win10? ARM64, x86, or x64?
>>
>> Why download the update instead of let the WU client get it for you?
>
> My bad. The list was so long I did not look far enough down it. I have the
> right files now.
>
> Thanks.

Just for the record, when manually installing from catalog.update.microsoft.com,
if it says

"Not for this OS"

it can mean one of two things:

1) You picked the IA64 instead of the x86 or x64. In other words,
you pulled the wrong one from the list. These cases make sense
when they happen (been there, done that).

2) The second case is weirder. There are SSU ones. These are
Servicing Stack Updates. If you install the necessary SSU first,
magically, running the update again, it will install without
complaining about the "Not for this OS" thing. It's the SSU that
adjusts the labeling of the OS, then the dependent update is happy
to install. The stupid thing is too bashful to say "I need KB1234567
before I can install". That would make too much sense. Instead, a
totally bogus message is delivered.

HTH,
Paul

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: 10 Window Pro Cumulative Update