From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Determine type of CD format?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 15:50:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 15:50 UTC

Hi everyone!

Well, sounds somehow strange, but:

I have received a CD filled with cardiac CT images. The disc seems to be
around 1/3 full, so, assuming 200-250MB of data.

Unfortunately, the physicians used a filesystem (joliet or something
else) that I cannot mount. Even copying /dev/sr0 to file does not work.
The CD drive tries to read, stops, tries to read, stops. Over and over.

B.t.w., I have no windows machine to test with.

Anyone have an idea, how to check, what filesystem this is?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: Determine type of CD format?

<op.19g9m3f1a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5720&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5720

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Determine type of CD format?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 16:24:29 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 20:24 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:50:12 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> Well, sounds somehow strange, but:
>
> I have received a CD filled with cardiac CT images. The disc seems to be
> around 1/3 full, so, assuming 200-250MB of data.
>
> Unfortunately, the physicians used a filesystem (joliet or something
> else) that I cannot mount. Even copying /dev/sr0 to file does not work.
> The CD drive tries to read, stops, tries to read, stops. Over and over.
>
> B.t.w., I have no windows machine to test with.
>
> Anyone have an idea, how to check, what filesystem this is?

It's a Microsoft extension to iso9660.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO.html#AEN1328

There's also Rock Ridge ...
https://wiki.osdev.org/ISO_9660#Rock_Ridge_and_Joliet

Make sure your kernel is configured to support it ...
# zgrep CONFIG_JOLIET /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_JOLIET=y

To create a cd with Rock Ridge...
# rpm -q -i xorriso|grep ^Sum

# grep -e iso -e fat /etc/filesystems
exfat
iso9660
vfat

I got tired of replacing cd/dvd drives that stop working due to me being a
heavy smoker. Haven't used one in years, so don't remember all of the details
needed to work with them.

If I remember correctly, it must be mounted using vfat.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Determine type of CD format?

<ub51b6$pu6p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5721&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5721

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 10:08:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 10:08 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 16:24:29 -0400 David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:50:12 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler
> <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> Well, sounds somehow strange, but:
>>
>> I have received a CD filled with cardiac CT images. The disc seems to
>> be around 1/3 full, so, assuming 200-250MB of data.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the physicians used a filesystem (joliet or something
>> else) that I cannot mount. Even copying /dev/sr0 to file does not work.
>> The CD drive tries to read, stops, tries to read, stops. Over and over.
>>
>> B.t.w., I have no windows machine to test with.
>>
>> Anyone have an idea, how to check, what filesystem this is?
>
> It's a Microsoft extension to iso9660.
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO.html#AEN1328
>
> There's also Rock Ridge ...
> https://wiki.osdev.org/ISO_9660#Rock_Ridge_and_Joliet
>
> Make sure your kernel is configured to support it ...
> # zgrep CONFIG_JOLIET /proc/config.gz CONFIG_JOLIET=y
>
> To create a cd with Rock Ridge...
> # rpm -q -i xorriso|grep ^Sum Summary : ISO 9660 Rock Ridge
> Filesystem Manipulator
>
> # grep -e iso -e fat /etc/filesystems exfat iso9660 vfat
>
> I got tired of replacing cd/dvd drives that stop working due to me being
> a heavy smoker. Haven't used one in years, so don't remember all of the
> details needed to work with them.
>
> If I remember correctly, it must be mounted using vfat.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Hi, thanks!

I checked the above, and a normal CD could be mounted with iso9660 and
the content was copied to harddisk in a few minutes.

But after that, I had to read in a DVD.
It was mounted as filesystem udf.

The first attempt to copy it was annoyingly slow. The more data already
was copied, the slower is was. I read similar experiences from people
running debian. After half an hour I gave up the attempt to copy around
900 MB. But after reloading and remounting, the data was copied in ~10
minutes. Maybe because they were cached. But anyway, this filesystem
seems to have severe problems with some DVDs.

So, again, many thanks for the info!

Best regards,

Markus