I am NOMAD!

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / cycling the wake picture?

SubjectAuthor
* cycling the wake picture?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: cycling the wake picture?Ammammata
|`- Re: cycling the wake picture?J. P. Gilliver (John)
`* Re: cycling the wake picture?Paul
 `- Re: cycling the wake picture?J. P. Gilliver (John)

1
cycling the wake picture?

<BQegTpK9aVahFw$c@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57171&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57171

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:23:57 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: cycling the wake picture?
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:23 UTC

Apologies if I've asked this before - I think I have but didn't get
anywhere.

Windows 10 laptop, provided to me for parish council (lowest level of
local government in UK; unpaid) work.

Normally, I just close it (leaving usually at least Outlook and an
explorer window open).

When I open it the next day, I get a nice landscape picture from
somewhere around the world; I press a key, and that picture then goes
fuzzy, and a prompt for password appears.

Originally, the picture varied (though I sometimes did see one I'd seen
before). But for the last few months, it's been the same one (looking
out from a cave over water).

Is this due to one of the many "up"dates W10 does, or something I've
done? If the latter, how do I change it back? I liked not knowing what
picture I'd get.

(I've tried right-clicking on the picture as someone on the council
suggested, but that just does the same as pressing a key - the picture
goes blurry, and the password box appears. If I right-click on the fuzzy
picture, nothing happens.)

Another lively meeting of thr 1922 Committee - the secret gathering of BBC
presenters that gets its name from the fact that no one is sober after
twenty-past seven. - Eddie Mair, RT 16-22 April 2011

Re: cycling the wake picture?

<XnsADC4810F9DF9Aammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57173&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57173

From: ammammata@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: cycling the wake picture?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:41:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:41 UTC

Il giorno Fri 15 Oct 2021 12:23:57p, *J. P. Gilliver (John)* ha inviato su
alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio news:BQegTpK9aVahFw$c@255soft.uk.
Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> Is this due to one of the many "up"dates W10 does, or something I've
> done? If the latter, how do I change it back? I liked not knowing what
> picture I'd get.

could it be a different situation when you turnoff/restart your computer
and you just suspend it?

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: cycling the wake picture?

<YCPGHFM4oWahFwNc@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57174&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57174

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:47:04 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:47 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 at 10:41:09, Ammammata <ammammata@tiscalinet.it>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>Il giorno Fri 15 Oct 2021 12:23:57p, *J. P. Gilliver (John)* ha inviato su
>alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio news:BQegTpK9aVahFw$c@255soft.uk.
>Vediamo cosa ha scritto:
>
>> Is this due to one of the many "up"dates W10 does, or something I've
>> done? If the latter, how do I change it back? I liked not knowing what
>> picture I'd get.
>>

>could it be a different situation when you turnoff/restart your computer
>and you just suspend it?

I haven't changed what I do - that's why I described what I do (just
close the lid; when I re-open it, I get the picture, then a prompt for
password when I hit a key, then when I enter that it opens where I left
off), since I wasn't sure whether it's doing a sleep, suspend, or
hibernate. (I haven't changed it from when supplied to me, but I don't
know if that had been changed from the default - I suspect not.) But I
haven't changed what I do from when I used to get a different picture
each time I opened the lid.

Oh, when I _do_ shut it down (select power, then "power off") - such as
when I'm taking it somewhere - I still get the same picture now. Whether
I used to get a varying one under those circumstances, I can't remember.

Find out what works. Then do it. That's my system. I'm always surprised it
isn't more popular. - Scott Adams, 2015

Re: cycling the wake picture?

<skbscc$f36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57175&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57175

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:32:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:32 UTC

On 10/15/2021 6:23 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> Apologies if I've asked this before - I think I have but didn't get anywhere.
>
> Windows 10 laptop, provided to me for parish council (lowest level of local government in UK; unpaid) work.
>
> Normally, I just close it (leaving usually at least Outlook and an explorer window open).
>
> When I open it the next day, I get a nice landscape picture from somewhere around the world; I press a key, and that picture then goes fuzzy, and a prompt for password appears.
>
> Originally, the picture varied (though I sometimes did see one I'd seen before). But for the last few months, it's been the same one (looking out from a cave over water).
>
> Is this due to one of the many "up"dates W10 does, or something I've done? If the latter, how do I change it back? I liked not knowing what picture I'd get.
>
> (I've tried right-clicking on the picture as someone on the council suggested, but that just does the same as pressing a key - the picture goes blurry, and the password box appears. If I right-click on the fuzzy picture, nothing happens.)

A reference to Windows Spotlight.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/42342-images-when-starting-up-sleep-mode.html

The problem with the settings, is sometimes they interact. One can be
a gateway for another.

https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/

"Get fun facts, tips, and more from Windows
and Cortana on your lock screen" OFF

Maybe that will be enough.

But with all the releases, really none of these articles is
trustworthy. Because it means the website owner has to review
ten different OS "upgrades" for changes.

Paul

Re: cycling the wake picture?

<ghC4fGmNwvahFwYz@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57222&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57222

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:21:33 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 16:21 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 at 08:32:04, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
>On 10/15/2021 6:23 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[]
>> Originally, the picture varied (though I sometimes did see one I'd
>>seen before). But for the last few months, it's been the same one
>>(looking out from a cave over water).
>> Is this due to one of the many "up"dates W10 does, or something I've
>>done? If the latter, how do I change it back? I liked not knowing what
>>picture I'd get.
[]
>A reference to Windows Spotlight.
>
>https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/42342-images-when-starting-up-
>sleep-mode.html

Thanks. That seems to have sorted it - at least, I got a different
picture on the first restart; we'll see on subsequent ones. I _might_
have switched it from Spotlight (thinking that was something I didn't
want, from the name), though I can't be sure.

(It did tell you where on your machine to find the pictures that had
been downloaded, and which registry key gave you the location; I didn't
have that key. [I was surprised, it being a provided laptop, that I was
able to open regedit to even look!]) But no matter - I'm sure the
pictures are on the web somewhere if I ever actually want to keep one.

>The problem with the settings, is sometimes they interact. One can be
>a gateway for another.
>
>https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built
>-in-advertising/

That _seemed_ to be about not getting ad.s; I don't _remember_ getting
them instead of the nice pictures, when I _was_ getting different
pictures; I'll report back if I now do.

> "Get fun facts, tips, and more from Windows
> and Cortana on your lock screen" OFF
>
>Maybe that will be enough.

(I had to switch away from "Spotlight" to even see that so I could turn
it off.)

>But with all the releases, really none of these articles is
>trustworthy. Because it means the website owner has to review
>ten different OS "upgrades" for changes.

Indeed! Maybe there'll only be one or two more major ones. (I did the
restart partly to see if the picture changed after I'd done what you
said, and partly because Windows said there was an update - seemed a
medium sized one; nothing _seemed_ to have been broken by it, but I
didn't use it for long. [On my own W7 machine now.])

> Paul

John

"Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed into piglet.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / cycling the wake picture?