21 May, 2024: Computers section is temporarily disabled for maintenance. It will take several days before it's back.

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.GrailKing
+* Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.Theo
|+* Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.Theo
||`- Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.GrailKing
|+- Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.GrailKing
|`- Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.Pancho
`* Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.druck
 `* Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.The Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.druck

1
Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<%1bGK.588729$70j.168153@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5679&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5679

From: grailking@invalid.net (GrailKing)
Subject: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 15:04:27 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 15:04 UTC

I've tried Mate twice and for some reason the Pi 400 just doesn't like Mate, two different high
spec sd cards ; I turn on power, the light blinks and shuts OFF.

Ubuntu 22.04, Pi 64, Manjaro, Twister All worked fine, but so far can't get Mate or maybe Mint in
general to work.

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<Shx*GeLUy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5681&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5681

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 02 Aug 2022 16:36:32 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 15:36 UTC

GrailKing <grailking@invalid.net> wrote:
> I've tried Mate twice and for some reason the Pi 400 just doesn't like Mate, two different high
> spec sd cards ; I turn on power, the light blinks and shuts OFF.
>
> Ubuntu 22.04, Pi 64, Manjaro, Twister All worked fine, but so far can't get Mate or maybe Mint in
> general to work.

If you can install Ubuntu, you should be able to install the mate-desktop
package and it'll install Mate in Ubuntu. You can then select it when you
login.

I haven't tried it, but your symptoms suggest your Pi is not booting your
Mate image at all - where did you get it from? I wonder if it's an image
for Intel rather than Arm CPUs?

I don't think Linux Mate has an Arm version, so you can't run it on a Pi.
There are various guides about hacking up an Ubuntu install to look similar
to Mint, but most people install Mint for its simplicity when coming from a
Windows background. I think the level of hacking up is not really suitable
for those ex-Windows folks.

Theo

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<1zx*1fLUy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5682&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5682

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 02 Aug 2022 16:42:13 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 15:42 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> I don't think Linux Mate has an Arm version, so you can't run it on a Pi.

Typo, should be 'I don't think Linux Mint has an Arm version'.
Mint is a distro, Mate is a desktop.
You can install the Mate desktop on other distros such as Ubuntu.

If you wanted the Cinnamon desktop rather than the Mate desktop, on Ubuntu
the package to install is called 'cinnamon'.

Theo

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<lDbGK.646167$zgr9.515747@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5683&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5683

From: grailking@invalid.net (GrailKing)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 15:44:17 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 15:44 UTC

On Tue, 02 Aug 2022 16:36:32 +0100, Theo wrote:

> I haven't tried it, but your symptoms suggest your Pi is not booting
> your Mate image at all - where did you get it from? I wonder if it's an
> image for Intel rather than Arm CPUs?

One image came from Mint web page downloads, the other came from the Pi image app, both
said for Raspberry pi 64 bit, both refused to load, both said for ARM cpu.

I am a bit bummed;But the Pi. 64 OS is quite good, even if some of the software is a bit behind.

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<n1cGK.805593$X_i.400366@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5684&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5684

From: grailking@invalid.net (GrailKing)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 16:12:03 GMT
 by: GrailKing - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:12 UTC

On Tue, 02 Aug 2022 16:42:13 +0100, Theo wrote:

> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> I don't think Linux Mate has an Arm version, so you can't run it on a
>> Pi.
>
> Typo, should be 'I don't think Linux Mint has an Arm version'.
> Mint is a distro, Mate is a desktop.
> You can install the Mate desktop on other distros such as Ubuntu.
>
> If you wanted the Cinnamon desktop rather than the Mate desktop, on
> Ubuntu the package to install is called 'cinnamon'.
>
> Theo

OKay, I may be wrong, I got Ubuntu-Mate 20.04 desktop - Arm 64-pi image.

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<tcbkk8$1k08a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5685&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5685

From: Pancho.Jones@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 17:50:16 +0100
 by: Pancho - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:50 UTC

On 02/08/2022 16:36, Theo wrote:
> GrailKing <grailking@invalid.net> wrote:
>> I've tried Mate twice and for some reason the Pi 400 just doesn't like Mate, two different high
>> spec sd cards ; I turn on power, the light blinks and shuts OFF.
>>
>> Ubuntu 22.04, Pi 64, Manjaro, Twister All worked fine, but so far can't get Mate or maybe Mint in
>> general to work.
>
> If you can install Ubuntu, you should be able to install the mate-desktop
> package and it'll install Mate in Ubuntu. You can then select it when you
> login.
>
> I haven't tried it, but your symptoms suggest your Pi is not booting your
> Mate image at all - where did you get it from? I wonder if it's an image
> for Intel rather than Arm CPUs?
>
> I don't think Linux Mate has an Arm version, so you can't run it on a Pi.
> There are various guides about hacking up an Ubuntu install to look similar
> to Mint, but most people install Mint for its simplicity when coming from a
> Windows background. I think the level of hacking up is not really suitable
> for those ex-Windows folks.
>
> Theo

Certainly true for me when I started developing on Linux. I tried Mint
but soon switched to major release Ubuntu because all web examples were
in terms of Ubuntu and even a little deviation could confuse me.

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<tcc0ks$1n16l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5689&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5689

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 21:15:21 +0100
 by: druck - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:15 UTC

On 02/08/2022 16:04, GrailKing wrote:
> I've tried Mate twice and for some reason the Pi 400 just doesn't like Mate, two different high
> spec sd cards ; I turn on power, the light blinks and shuts OFF.

I've been running the Mate desktop with Raspbian for the last 3 major OS
and hardware versions, so it does work. Start with a working system with
the standard pixel desktop and install mate-desktop-environment. After
rebooting Mate will be a desktop option from the login screen.

> Ubuntu 22.04, Pi 64, Manjaro, Twister All worked fine, but so far can't get Mate or maybe Mint in
> general to work.

Linux Mint (the distro) isn't available for the Pi, but the Mate desktop
is available for on Raspbian and ARM Ubuntu distros.

I've never tried to install Cinnamon on the Pi, but from experience on
x86 systems it is considerably more CPU and memory hungry than Mint, so
probably isn't the best fit for the Pi

---druck

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<tcdc3n$248ai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5698&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5698

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 09:37:10 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 08:37 UTC

On 02/08/2022 21:15, druck wrote:
> Linux Mint (the distro) isn't available for the Pi, but the Mate desktop
> is available for on Raspbian and ARM Ubuntu distros.

+1
> I've never tried to install Cinnamon on the Pi, but from experience on
> x86 systems it is considerably more CPU and memory hungry than Mint, so
> probably isn't the best fit for the Pi

ITYM "considerably more CPU and memory hungry than *MATE* "

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.

<tcekcm$2ekpv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5714&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#5714

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:04:36 +0100
 by: druck - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:04 UTC

> On 02/08/2022 21:15, druck wrote:
>> Linux Mint (the distro) isn't available for the Pi, but the Mate
>> desktop is available for on Raspbian and ARM Ubuntu distros.
>>
> +1
>> I've never tried to install Cinnamon on the Pi, but from experience on
>> x86 systems it is considerably more CPU and memory hungry than Mint,
>> so probably isn't the best fit for the Pi
>
> ITYM "considerably more CPU and memory hungry than *MATE* "

Yes, I'm typing Mint where I meant Mate now too.

---druck

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Anyone know if there s a PI version of Mint Cinnimon.