1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

SubjectAuthor
* From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Markus Robert Kessler
+* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?William Unruh
|`* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Markus Robert Kessler
| +* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?William Unruh
| |`* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Markus Robert Kessler
| | `- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
| `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|  +* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?William Unruh
|  |`- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|  `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?marc
|   `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|    +- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?red floyd
|    +- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?marc
|    +- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Daniel65
|    `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?marc
|     `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|      +* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?marc
|      |`* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|      | `- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|      `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?TJ
|       `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?marc
|        `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|         `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|          `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?marc
|           +- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
|           `- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
+- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Bit Twister
+* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?TJ
|`- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?TJ
`* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Gilberto F da Silva
 `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
  `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Gilberto F da Silva
   `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?David W. Hodgins
    +- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Gilberto F da Silva
    `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Gilberto F da Silva
     `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?faeychild
      `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?marc
       `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?Markus Robert Kessler
        `* Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?William Unruh
         `- Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?William Unruh

Pages:12
From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uabdtj$3n9gg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5708&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5708

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 17:03:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 17:03 UTC

Hello everyone!

I run several machines with MGA7. I didn't want to switch to MGA8,
because the makers of Mageia were working on MGA9 to release for more
than two years now, and I waited for MGA9 to directly replace MGA7. That
was my favourite.

But, as it looks like, MGA9 is still under development. They say, that
there are still lots of packages that persistently refuse to compile.

Does someone have experience with MGA9 Cauldron yet?

Can this be deployed for normal office applications, VPN, video
conferencing, some multimedia like cutting videos, playing SW
synthesizers and such tasks, without the risk that everything turns to
dust after the next "update testing"?

What, if MGA9 Cauldron will be made to MGA9 stable one day? Can
everything be kept, and only the package repo definitions have to be
updated?

Lots of questions, I know :-)

But, I need these machines for doing my job and some MGA7 packages are
too outdated to be still used. There is also limited feasibility to
selectively backport newer packages, because the dependencies go through
the roof.

Thanks for any idea!

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uabmqu$3ocrm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5709&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5709

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 19:35:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 19:35 UTC

So why not update to Mga8?. Note that you will probably not be able to
update directly from Mag7 to mga9. You will have to do a fresh install
and then update all of your configurations by hand. Mageia does not try
to make such an update possible. 7-8 should work as should 8-9 but 7-9
may well not work, and noone has tested it.
As to when 9 will be released, their usual answer is "when it is ready".

On 2023-08-01, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I run several machines with MGA7. I didn't want to switch to MGA8,
> because the makers of Mageia were working on MGA9 to release for more
> than two years now, and I waited for MGA9 to directly replace MGA7. That
> was my favourite.
>
> But, as it looks like, MGA9 is still under development. They say, that
> there are still lots of packages that persistently refuse to compile.
>
> Does someone have experience with MGA9 Cauldron yet?
>
> Can this be deployed for normal office applications, VPN, video
> conferencing, some multimedia like cutting videos, playing SW
> synthesizers and such tasks, without the risk that everything turns to
> dust after the next "update testing"?
>
> What, if MGA9 Cauldron will be made to MGA9 stable one day? Can
> everything be kept, and only the package repo definitions have to be
> updated?
>
> Lots of questions, I know :-)
>
> But, I need these machines for doing my job and some MGA7 packages are
> too outdated to be still used. There is also limited feasibility to
> selectively backport newer packages, because the dependencies go through
> the roof.
>
> Thanks for any idea!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Markus

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uacusv$3vlee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5710&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5710

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:59:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:59 UTC

Hi, thanks for that hint!

Sorry if I didn't say it clearly enough: I always do a clean, new
install, whenever I switch to a new distro. Though, in many cases, such
an upgrade will work somehow.

But as for now, if you install MGA8, then, maybe the next day they
communicate that MGA8 is obsolete, and now MGA9 is out indeed. Dropping
bugfixes support for MGA8. So, in my opinion, it makes no sense to go
this step.

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uad1mf$3vuel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5711&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5711

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 07:47:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 07:47 UTC

On 2023-08-02, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
> Hi, thanks for that hint!
>
> Sorry if I didn't say it clearly enough: I always do a clean, new
> install, whenever I switch to a new distro. Though, in many cases, such
> an upgrade will work somehow.
>
> But as for now, if you install MGA8, then, maybe the next day they
> communicate that MGA8 is obsolete, and now MGA9 is out indeed. Dropping
> bugfixes support for MGA8. So, in my opinion, it makes no sense to go
> this step.

But this means that you should still be at Mageia 1 since the new
version is always due in future. I would estimate that 9 will come out
around Christmas (based on zero insider information). And you say that
some of the programs you need are outdated and no longer run. That would
suggest that it is worth it to upgrade to 8 now, so that you are not
left in the lurch, or worse left wide open to hackers entering your
machine through holes in that out of date software
7 has long ceased having security updates. .

> Best regards,
>
> Markus
>

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 19:35:58 +0000 William Unruh wrote:
>
>> So why not update to Mga8?. Note that you will probably not be able to
>> update directly from Mag7 to mga9. You will have to do a fresh install
>> and then update all of your configurations by hand. Mageia does not try
>> to make such an update possible. 7-8 should work as should 8-9 but 7-9
>> may well not work, and noone has tested it.
>> As to when 9 will be released, their usual answer is "when it is ready".
>>

>> On 2023-08-01, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> I run several machines with MGA7. I didn't want to switch to MGA8,
>>> because the makers of Mageia were working on MGA9 to release for more
>>> than two years now, and I waited for MGA9 to directly replace MGA7.
>>> That was my favourite.
>>>
>>> But, as it looks like, MGA9 is still under development. They say, that
>>> there are still lots of packages that persistently refuse to compile.
>>>
>>> Does someone have experience with MGA9 Cauldron yet?
>>>
>>> Can this be deployed for normal office applications, VPN, video
>>> conferencing, some multimedia like cutting videos, playing SW
>>> synthesizers and such tasks, without the risk that everything turns to
>>> dust after the next "update testing"?
>>>
>>> What, if MGA9 Cauldron will be made to MGA9 stable one day? Can
>>> everything be kept, and only the package repo definitions have to be
>>> updated?
>>>
>>> Lots of questions, I know :-)
>>>
>>> But, I need these machines for doing my job and some MGA7 packages are
>>> too outdated to be still used. There is also limited feasibility to
>>> selectively backport newer packages, because the dependencies go
>>> through the roof.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any idea!
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Markus

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uad6rs$bvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5712&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5712

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:15:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:15 UTC

On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 07:47:27 +0000 William Unruh wrote:

> On 2023-08-02, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de>
> wrote:
>> Hi, thanks for that hint!
>>
>> Sorry if I didn't say it clearly enough: I always do a clean, new
>> install, whenever I switch to a new distro. Though, in many cases, such
>> an upgrade will work somehow.
>>
>> But as for now, if you install MGA8, then, maybe the next day they
>> communicate that MGA8 is obsolete, and now MGA9 is out indeed. Dropping
>> bugfixes support for MGA8. So, in my opinion, it makes no sense to go
>> this step.
>
> But this means that you should still be at Mageia 1 since the new
> version is always due in future. I would estimate that 9 will come out
> around Christmas (based on zero insider information). And you say that
> some of the programs you need are outdated and no longer run. That would
> suggest that it is worth it to upgrade to 8 now, so that you are not
> left in the lurch, or worse left wide open to hackers entering your
> machine through holes in that out of date software 7 has long ceased
> having security updates. .
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Markus

Hi,

> around Christmas (based on zero insider information) [..]

nice to know.

Well, whenever a security-related bug is found, I go and get the source
of the new, bugfixed version. But as said, doing so, including building
all packages which this one is depending on, is very time consuming and
the effort goes through the roof. Sooner or later this won't work anymore.

So, what about installing MGA9 Cauldron now, and use it as MGA9 stable
when it is released?
At least the repo definitions have to be updated, since during
development in Cauldron there is no 'update' repo. Right?
All stuff seems to be in one place.

Someone already tried this with MGA9 / Cauldron, or any former version?

Thanks,

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<slrnucki4q.u1do.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5713&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5713

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 07:14:16 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:14 UTC

On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 17:03:47 -0000 (UTC), Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I run several machines with MGA7. I didn't want to switch to MGA8,
> because the makers of Mageia were working on MGA9 to release for more
> than two years now, and I waited for MGA9 to directly replace MGA7. That
> was my favourite.
>
> But, as it looks like, MGA9 is still under development. They say, that
> there are still lots of packages that persistently refuse to compile.
>
> Does someone have experience with MGA9 Cauldron yet?

Yep, working pretty good for me.

> Can this be deployed for normal office applications, VPN, video
> conferencing, some multimedia like cutting videos, playing SW
> synthesizers and such tasks, without the risk that everything turns to
> dust after the next "update testing"?

Well, Cauldron is in rc1 state at the moment.

In my stupid opinion, anyone maintaining more than just their home
computer needs to be testing Cauldron just to make sure there are
no surprises.

I know I keep 4 partitions just for safety, Previous, Current, Next and
cauldron. Cauldron is where I do testing. I cycle through the
other three on each release and keeping previous release makes it
easy to compare configuration files if needed. Next partition
is where I do the Official Release and final operational testing of
the new release.

All of which are clean install followed by any updates.

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.1815b8j6a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5714&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5714

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 12:27:34 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 16:27 UTC

On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 02:59:43 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for that hint!
>
> Sorry if I didn't say it clearly enough: I always do a clean, new
> install, whenever I switch to a new distro. Though, in many cases, such
> an upgrade will work somehow.
>
> But as for now, if you install MGA8, then, maybe the next day they
> communicate that MGA8 is obsolete, and now MGA9 is out indeed. Dropping
> bugfixes support for MGA8. So, in my opinion, it makes no sense to go
> this step.

Currently some minor cleanup is being done based on testing of the Mageia 9
rc iso images, which were released July 21st.

I expect the final iso images will start qa testing within a few days.

How long that takes depends entirely on what, if any problems are found,
and how many times the 6 iso images have to be rebuilt and retested, and
what problems are found in testing upgrades from m8.

If things go well, we're looking at about 10 to 14 days until Mageia 9 is ready
to release.

Once m9 is released, support for m8 will continue for another three months, as
it's been more than 18 months since m8 was released.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.1815w4laa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5715&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5715

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 12:40:06 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 16:40 UTC

On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 05:15:40 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
> nice to know.

I'm expecting it to be before the end of the month at the latest. I'm the
leader of the qa team.

> Well, whenever a security-related bug is found, I go and get the source
> of the new, bugfixed version. But as said, doing so, including building
> all packages which this one is depending on, is very time consuming and
> the effort goes through the roof. Sooner or later this won't work anymore.

That's a lot of work. :-)

> So, what about installing MGA9 Cauldron now, and use it as MGA9 stable
> when it is released?
> At least the repo definitions have to be updated, since during
> development in Cauldron there is no 'update' repo. Right?
> All stuff seems to be in one place.
> Someone already tried this with MGA9 / Cauldron, or any former version?

It should work. Once m9 is released, existing cauldron installs should
automatically become m9 installs through an update, though I've forgotten
the details of how that works. I don't remember if the repos must be manually
removed/re-added or if that's automatic. Pretty sure it's automatic, and
packagers must alter their configurations to continue with using cauldron
when a new cauldron repo is forked.

There will be very few changes between now and when m9 is released unless
something major and unexpected happens.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uafebm$jjar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5716&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5716

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 05:35:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 05:35 UTC

On 2023-08-02, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 02:59:43 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi, thanks for that hint!
>>
>> Sorry if I didn't say it clearly enough: I always do a clean, new
>> install, whenever I switch to a new distro. Though, in many cases, such
>> an upgrade will work somehow.
>>
>> But as for now, if you install MGA8, then, maybe the next day they
>> communicate that MGA8 is obsolete, and now MGA9 is out indeed. Dropping
>> bugfixes support for MGA8. So, in my opinion, it makes no sense to go
>> this step.
>
> Currently some minor cleanup is being done based on testing of the Mageia 9
> rc iso images, which were released July 21st.
>
> I expect the final iso images will start qa testing within a few days.
>
> How long that takes depends entirely on what, if any problems are found,
> and how many times the 6 iso images have to be rebuilt and retested, and
> what problems are found in testing upgrades from m8.
>
> If things go well, we're looking at about 10 to 14 days until Mageia 9 is ready
> to release.
>
> Once m9 is released, support for m8 will continue for another three months, as
> it's been more than 18 months since m8 was released.

support should not depend on how old the distro is. To some extent it
has been a rolling release anyway since loads of packages have been
renewed.
Mind you I guess that the number of volunteers for packaging and testing
has decreased, giving a longer and longer time between releases.

> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.18260qfua3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5717&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5717

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 02:01:28 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 06:01 UTC

On Thu, 03 Aug 2023 01:35:50 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> support should not depend on how old the distro is. To some extent it
> has been a rolling release anyway since loads of packages have been
> renewed.

When packages are older than the upstream providers of those packages, fixes
for security bugs get harder and harder to apply. We don't have enough people
to properly maintain multiple Mageia releases. The three months guaranteed
support after the next release is released, is there to allow people time to
upgrade.

Version updates in a stable release are the exception, as per
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Updates_policy#Version_Policy

The reason Mageia is not a rolling release is that with a rolling release, any
update may include configuration changes that have to be done manually.

By staying with the same version of packages within a release as much as
possible, it means that such configuration changes only occur when upgrading
to the next release.

> Mind you I guess that the number of volunteers for packaging and testing
> has decreased, giving a longer and longer time between releases.

The time period between the releases depends a lot on when there have been
enough changes between the current stable release and cauldron to justify
the amount of work it takes, both for Mageia to create and test, and for
Mageia users to upgrade. The amount of work involved can be a factor
due to the time it takes to properly implement a change such as the one
that went from initd to the systemd. Same with the addition of ipv6
support.

The number of people on each of the teams has remained pretty consistent over
the years. We have lost some people, but we've also gained some people.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uas510$32vu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5718&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5718

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 21:16:14 -0400
 by: TJ - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 01:16 UTC

On 2023-08-01 13:03, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I run several machines with MGA7. I didn't want to switch to MGA8,
> because the makers of Mageia were working on MGA9 to release for more
> than two years now, and I waited for MGA9 to directly replace MGA7. That
> was my favourite.
>
> But, as it looks like, MGA9 is still under development. They say, that
> there are still lots of packages that persistently refuse to compile.
>
> Does someone have experience with MGA9 Cauldron yet?
>
> Can this be deployed for normal office applications, VPN, video
> conferencing, some multimedia like cutting videos, playing SW
> synthesizers and such tasks, without the risk that everything turns to
> dust after the next "update testing"?
>
> What, if MGA9 Cauldron will be made to MGA9 stable one day? Can
> everything be kept, and only the package repo definitions have to be
> updated?
>
> Lots of questions, I know :-)
>
> But, I need these machines for doing my job and some MGA7 packages are
> too outdated to be still used. There is also limited feasibility to
> selectively backport newer packages, because the dependencies go through
> the roof.
>
> Thanks for any idea!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Markus

I have been using Cauldron/MGA9 Plasma as my production install on one
desktop and two laptops for months now. I have found it to be remarkably
stable.

In the early stages of Cauldron development, it's true that some
applications may get updated in such a way that they "break" existing
settings. But, MGA9 Cauldron is very much past the stage where this is
likely to happen.

I believe the transition from Cauldron to MGA9 Official will be
automatic. I do not recall needing to do anything when MGA8 Cauldron
became Official.

You should be aware that almost immediately after MGA9 is released, work
will begin on Mageia 10. That doesn't mean that Mageia 10 will come
along and replace Mageia 9 in a few days, weeks, or months. Whenever
Mageia 10 becomes ready, MGA9 will be supported for at least 18 months
after the MGA9 release, or 3 months after the release of Mageia 10,
whichever is longer.

TJ

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<d2a62cf6-79cc-6c02-7dc2-a7bab19afdc5@noneofyourbusiness>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5733&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5733

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:55:02 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
From: marc@noneofyour.business
 by: marc@noneofyour.business - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 14:55 UTC

On 8/2/23 18:27, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> If things go well, we're looking at about 10 to 14 days until Mageia 9
> is ready
> to release.
>

> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Hi David,

When is MGA 9 ready for release you think?

Ofcourse the right answer is : when it is ready.
But as you mentioned in two weeks, I'm becoming curious if all is right?

I downloaded the RC, but if #9 is due to come, I'll rather wait for that.

Regards,

Marc.

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.191pqzsea3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5734&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5734

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:24:25 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 21:24 UTC

On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:55:02 -0400, <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:

> On 8/2/23 18:27, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>

>> If things go well, we're looking at about 10 to 14 days until Mageia 9
>> is ready
>> to release.
>>

>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> Hi David,
>
> When is MGA 9 ready for release you think?
>
> Ofcourse the right answer is : when it is ready.
> But as you mentioned in two weeks, I'm becoming curious if all is right?
>
> I downloaded the RC, but if #9 is due to come, I'll rather wait for that.

The second build of the final iso images are currently being tested. If all
goes well m9 should be released later this week.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uc10ne$23st8$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5735&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5735

From: no.spam.here@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:49:49 -0700
 by: red floyd - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 00:49 UTC

On 8/21/2023 2:24 PM, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> The second build of the final iso images are currently being tested. If all
> goes well m9 should be released later this week.

That's awesome, Dave! Thanks!

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<bae0ee39-8791-2c4a-b2d0-a44c2c9ba32c@noneofyourbusiness>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5736&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5736

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:25:26 +0200
From: marc@noneofyour.business (marc)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
 by: marc - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:25 UTC

On 8/21/23 23:24, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:55:02 -0400, <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>
>> On 8/2/23 18:27, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>

>>> If things go well, we're looking at about 10 to 14 days until Mageia 9
>>> is ready
>>> to release.
>>>

>>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> When is MGA 9 ready for release you think?
>>
>> Ofcourse the right answer is : when it is ready.
>> But as you mentioned in two weeks, I'm becoming curious if all is right?
>>
>> I downloaded the RC, but if #9 is due to come, I'll rather wait for that.
>
> The second build of the final iso images are currently being tested. If all
> goes well m9 should be released later this week.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

That's great news to hear. I'll wait for the MGA9 instead of using the RC.
Marvelous achievement by the devellopers and every one else that worked
on this edition!

I'll repeat my yearly donation, I encourage more users to do that.

Marc.

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<uc22qs$2cc0v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5737&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5737

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 20:31:59 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:31 UTC

David W. Hodgins wrote on 22/8/23 7:24 am:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:55:02 -0400, <marc@noneofyour.business>
> wrote:
>> On 8/2/23 18:27, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>>
>>> If things go well, we're looking at about 10 to 14 days until
>>> Mageia 9 is ready to release.
>>>

>>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> When is MGA 9 ready for release you think?
>>
>> Ofcourse the right answer is : when it is ready. But as you
>> mentioned in two weeks, I'm becoming curious if all is right?
>>
>> I downloaded the RC, but if #9 is due to come, I'll rather wait for
>> that.
>
> The second build of the final iso images are currently being tested.
> If all goes well m9 should be released later this week.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Waiting with bated breath!! ;-P Thanks guys.
--
Daniel

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<ucfmnt$16t7s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5743&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5743

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 10:31:25 -0400
 by: TJ - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:31 UTC

On 2023-08-07 21:16, TJ wrote:
> I have been using Cauldron/MGA9 Plasma as my production install on one
> desktop and two laptops for months now. I have found it to be remarkably
> stable.
>
> In the early stages of Cauldron development, it's true that some
> applications may get updated in such a way that they "break" existing
> settings. But, MGA9 Cauldron is very much past the stage where this is
> likely to happen.
>
> I believe the transition from Cauldron to MGA9 Official will be
> automatic. I do not recall needing to do anything when MGA8 Cauldron
> became Official.

I have learned that the transition from Cauldron to Mageia 9 is not
quite as "automatic" as I thought.

If you have Mageia 9 installed and running from when it was in Cauldron,
you'll need to run, as root, the command "urpmi --auto-update" to
complete the transition.

TJ

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<dc8646e0-5a00-6dbd-ad6d-40fc633f2a85@noneofyourbusiness>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5744&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5744

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:23:01 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
From: marc@noneofyour.business (marc)
 by: marc - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 16:23 UTC

On 8/21/23 23:24, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:55:02 -0400, <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>
>> On 8/2/23 18:27, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>

>>> If things go well, we're looking at about 10 to 14 days until Mageia 9
>>> is ready
>>> to release.
>>>

>>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> When is MGA 9 ready for release you think?
>>
>> Ofcourse the right answer is : when it is ready.
>> But as you mentioned in two weeks, I'm becoming curious if all is right?
>>
>> I downloaded the RC, but if #9 is due to come, I'll rather wait for that.
>
> The second build of the final iso images are currently being tested. If all
> goes well m9 should be released later this week.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Hi David,

Now that MGA9 is offically announced, how many days will it take before
the update applet in the system tray will be activated?
If I remember well, in the past there was a delay of two or three days?

Marc.

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.2acyxlx7a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5745&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5745

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:16:23 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 23:16 UTC

On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:23:01 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Now that MGA9 is offically announced, how many days will it take before
> the update applet in the system tray will be activated?
> If I remember well, in the past there was a delay of two or three days?
>
> Marc.

It will be shown when there are updates ready for installation. Currently the
updates repos are all empty. That will change when there are updates that affect
m9.

Note that if you were using cauldron prior to m9 being released, you should run
"urpmi --auto-update" to get the last updates. If you're using rpmdrake, in
order to speed things up it doesn't check the release repos for updates.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<nnd$75fcf5b9$04b1600d@7b669bef015b253d>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5746&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5746

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:40:29 +0200
From: marc@noneofyour.business (marc)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
 by: marc - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:40 UTC

On 8/28/23 01:16, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:23:01 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Now that MGA9 is offically announced, how many days will it take before
>> the update applet in the system tray will be activated?
>> If I remember well, in the past there was a delay of two or three days?
>>
>> Marc.
>
> It will be shown when there are updates ready for installation.
> Currently the
> updates repos are all empty. That will change when there are updates
> that affect
> m9.
>
> Note that if you were using cauldron prior to m9 being released, you
> should run
> "urpmi --auto-update" to get the last updates. If you're using rpmdrake, in
> order to speed things up it doesn't check the release repos for updates.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

I seem to remember that with the update from M7 to M8, there appeared a
special colored update applet (red exclamation mark) in the system tray,
for upgrading online to the new M8.

I just checked that I have tickt the box for this special relese upgrade
in the MCC chapter "Configure updates frequency".

I also made sure the new repositories (dated 23 Aug 2023) are in the
repository list.

Still, no red exclamation mark in the system tray.

Regards,

Marc.

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.2ad49xxma3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5747&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5747

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:30:59 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:30 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:40:29 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:

> On 8/28/23 01:16, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:23:01 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> Now that MGA9 is offically announced, how many days will it take before
>>> the update applet in the system tray will be activated?
>>> If I remember well, in the past there was a delay of two or three days?
>>>
>>> Marc.
>>
>> It will be shown when there are updates ready for installation.
>> Currently the
>> updates repos are all empty. That will change when there are updates
>> that affect
>> m9.
>>
>> Note that if you were using cauldron prior to m9 being released, you
>> should run
>> "urpmi --auto-update" to get the last updates. If you're using rpmdrake, in
>> order to speed things up it doesn't check the release repos for updates.
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> I seem to remember that with the update from M7 to M8, there appeared a
> special colored update applet (red exclamation mark) in the system tray,
> for upgrading online to the new M8.
>
> I just checked that I have tickt the box for this special relese upgrade
> in the MCC chapter "Configure updates frequency".
>
> I also made sure the new repositories (dated 23 Aug 2023) are in the
> repository list.
>
> Still, no red exclamation mark in the system tray.

Is the mirror that system is using up-to-date? There's a problem a one of the
tier 1 mirrors, mirrors.kernel.org, and all of the mirrors that sync from it.

To switch mirrors use
# urpmi.removemedia
Then run drakrpm-edit-media, select File, add a specific media mirror, and
select a mirror that shows as green at https://mirrors.mageia.org/status

Once that's done, install all of the updates after which mgaapplet should show
the upgrade option.

Messages have been sent to kernel.org, but no response or change yet.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<ucive9$1rikj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5748&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5748

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:18:17 -0400
 by: TJ - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 20:18 UTC

On 2023-08-27 19:16, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:23:01 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Now that MGA9 is offically announced, how many days will it take before
>> the update applet in the system tray will be activated?
>> If I remember well, in the past there was a delay of two or three days?
>>
>> Marc.
>
> It will be shown when there are updates ready for installation.
> Currently the
> updates repos are all empty. That will change when there are updates
> that affect
> m9.
>
> Note that if you were using cauldron prior to m9 being released, you
> should run
> "urpmi --auto-update" to get the last updates. If you're using rpmdrake, in
> order to speed things up it doesn't check the release repos for updates.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Because Cauldron has already been converted to Mageia 10 development,
before running the above command the user should make sure the repos on
the system are not still for cauldron.

I didn't do that this morning on a laptop, and wound up with a Mageia 10
install where my Mageia 9 used to be. On the plus side, it seemed very
stable...

TJ

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.2aembgsia3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5749&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5749

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:39:06 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 20:39 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:30:59 -0400, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:40:29 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:

>>> It will be shown when there are updates ready for installation.
>>> Currently the
>>> updates repos are all empty. That will change when there are updates
>>> that affect
>>> m9.
>>>
>>> Note that if you were using cauldron prior to m9 being released, you
>>> should run
>>> "urpmi --auto-update" to get the last updates. If you're using rpmdrake, in
>>> order to speed things up it doesn't check the release repos for updates.
>>>
>>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>>
>> I seem to remember that with the update from M7 to M8, there appeared a
>> special colored update applet (red exclamation mark) in the system tray,
>> for upgrading online to the new M8.
>>
>> I just checked that I have tickt the box for this special relese upgrade
>> in the MCC chapter "Configure updates frequency".
>>
>> I also made sure the new repositories (dated 23 Aug 2023) are in the
>> repository list.
>>
>> Still, no red exclamation mark in the system tray.
>
> Is the mirror that system is using up-to-date? There's a problem a one of the
> tier 1 mirrors, mirrors.kernel.org, and all of the mirrors that sync from it.
>
> To switch mirrors use
> # urpmi.removemedia
> Then run drakrpm-edit-media, select File, add a specific media mirror, and
> select a mirror that shows as green at https://mirrors.mageia.org/status
>
> Once that's done, install all of the updates after which mgaapplet should show
> the upgrade option.
>
> Messages have been sent to kernel.org, but no response or change yet.

I was wrong, sorry. The flag that triggers mgaapplet to consider upgrading has
not been set. mgaapplet uses mirrorlist when it adds the new repos. If mirrorlist
determines kernel.org or one of the mirrors that sync from it is the closed
geographicall, the selected mirror won't have all of the latest updates.

I expect the sysadmins won't set it until the problem with the mirrors has been
fixed.

You can still go ahead using text mode though. See
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_choose_the_right_Mageia_upgrade_method

Just make sure the mirror you select is up-to-date at
https://mirrors.mageia.org/status

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<nnd$784bc3c8$7c9a211d@c4c2aad28b4341c0>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5750&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5750

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:52:09 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
From: marc@noneofyour.business (marc)
 by: marc - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:52 UTC

On 8/28/23 22:18, TJ wrote:
> On 2023-08-27 19:16, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 12:23:01 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> Now that MGA9 is offically announced, how many days will it take before
>>> the update applet in the system tray will be activated?
>>> If I remember well, in the past there was a delay of two or three days?
>>>
>>> Marc.
>>
>> It will be shown when there are updates ready for installation.
>> Currently the
>> updates repos are all empty. That will change when there are updates
>> that affect
>> m9.
>>
>> Note that if you were using cauldron prior to m9 being released, you
>> should run
>> "urpmi --auto-update" to get the last updates. If you're using
>> rpmdrake, in
>> order to speed things up it doesn't check the release repos for updates.
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> Because Cauldron has already been converted to Mageia 10 development,
> before running the above command the user should make sure the repos on
> the system are not still for cauldron.
>
> I didn't do that this morning on a laptop, and wound up with a Mageia 10
> install where my Mageia 9 used to be. On the plus side, it seemed very
> stable...
>
> TJ

Thanks for the warning, TJ. Yesterday I had set the new repros on
active, but now realize that I have possibly set the cauldron repros on
active.
Will turn this back, and wait until the sysadmins of Mageia have set the
flag for triggering the MGA9 in the mgaapplet.

@DavidHodgins: I wonder what makes the mirror-kernel-org down for such a
long time? Isn't that the most important channel for all distros to
update? Seems not very professional to me...

Marc.

Re: From Cauldron to MGA9 stable?

<op.2af8s0osa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5751&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5751

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:42:26 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 17:42 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 05:52:09 -0400, marc <marc@noneofyour.business> wrote:
> @DavidHodgins: I wonder what makes the mirror-kernel-org down for such a
> long time? Isn't that the most important channel for all distros to
> update? Seems not very professional to me...

We don't control the mirrors. I suspect that whoever normally monitors the
syncing and the email used to report problems was not available.

http://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/distrib/9/x86_64/media/core/release/media_info/
shows it started syncing again. As it includes syncing all of the new cauldron,
it will take several hours to finish. Then we have to wait at least a day for
the mirrors that sync from it to sync too.

https://mirrors.mageia.org/status gets updated every ten minutes iirc.

Regards, Dave Hodgins