You are in the hall of the mountain king.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

SubjectAuthor
* Window shrinks to multiple pagesFokke Nauta
`* Re: Window shrinks to multiple pagesVanguardLH
 `* Re: Window shrinks to multiple pagesFokke Nauta
  `* Re: Window shrinks to multiple pagesVanguardLH
   `* Re: Window shrinks to multiple pagesFokke Nauta
    `* Re: Window shrinks to multiple pagesVanguardLH
     +- Re: Window shrinks to multiple pagesFokke Nauta
     `- Re: Window shrinks to multiple pagesFokke Nauta

1
Window shrinks to multiple pages

<is3h0pFs9gdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56814&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56814

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Window shrinks to multiple pages
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 19:37:54 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:37 UTC

Hi all,

A student of mine has a weird problem with his W10 Pro laptop. When he
opens Firefox and goes to a website, the first thing he sees is a normal
screen. Then, the content shrinks as the complete page comes upon the
screen. This is a page of multiple screens, and as it schrinks, it
becomes unreadable. The complete content is in one screen.
But this happens with Word as well. When he opens a document of multiple
pages, he first sees the first page, and then he sees the whole document
on his screen. And the same happens with Outlook.
So - this must be somethings of Windows itself. Perhaps a certain setting.
Anyone has a clue as how to solve this? I'm glad to hear.

Thanks in advance.

Fokke Nauta

Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

<1b1fabigx25jl.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56822&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56822

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:13:00 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 19:13 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

> When he opens Firefox and goes to a website, the first thing he sees
> is a normal screen. Then, the content shrinks as the complete page
> comes upon the screen. This is a page of multiple screens, and as it
> schrinks, it becomes unreadable. The complete content is in one
> screen. But this happens with Word as well. When he opens a document
> of multiple pages, he first sees the first page, and then he sees the
> whole document on his screen. And the same happens with Outlook. So -
> this must be somethings of Windows itself. Perhaps a certain setting.

To what screen resolution is Windows configured? Is it the native
resolution of the monitor, or is it higher?

I he perhaps hitting the virtual desktops icon (aka Tasks View) in the
Taskbar, or accidentally hitting Winkey+Tab (instead of, say, Alt+Tab)?
However, that shows all program windows squashed, not just the document
window within an program's window.

Same behavior if he disables all startup programs, and reboots?

Does he allow Windows to automatically update the hardware drivers? A
very bad practice. Hardware updating can be disabled. Drivers should
only be obtained from the hardware maker, not from Microsoft. In the
Start Menu, search on "updates history", and open the View Your Update
History. Collapse all sections, but expand the Driver Updates section.

When you say "a page of multiple screens", what does that mean? In a
web browser, there is only one document window inside the chrome of the
web browser. Is Firefox changing from normal sized to fullscreen? Is
the document painting normal sized within the document window of
Firefox, but then changes to showing the entire document within the
window without any scrollbars? Are there scrollbars when the document
exceeds the length or width of the document window? If scrollbars are
missing, does moving around the mouse cursor inside the document window
get the scrollbars to appear? Under Settings -> Ease of Access ->
Display, is "Automatically hide scroll bars in Windows" enabled? I
thought that was just for Windows wizard dialogs where the scrollbar is
super skinny, and hard to click on to jump or drag to scroll through the
wizard dialog, and this setting as Off gives you back the fat
scrollbars. Maybe that setting affects other windows. See:

https://www.bruceb.com/2020/04/windows-tip-how-to-stop-the-disappearing-scroll-bar/

In Firefox, look at the right-end of the address bar. If magnification
is other than 100%, it is shown there. You can use Ctrl+mousewheel to
change the zoom level back to 100%, or just click on the zoom icon to
reset back to 100%. If the zoom level is other than 100%, check if zoom
is set to some other default level (about:preferences, Language and
Appearance section, Zoom). I think zoom level is remembered as a site
preference. That is, if you change zoom for a site, and later revisit
that site, then the zoom level of before is used again. I purge
everything locally cached which includes Site Preferences, so zoom
starts at 100% for every site I revisit.

You can click on the lock/unlock icon at the left-end of Firefox's
address bar, and click "Clear cookies and site data" for just the site
you are visiting in the currently selected tab. Or you can go into
Firefox's settings to purge all history, including site preferences for
all sites. Depends on how big a spatula you want to use to swipe away
the site preferences.

Is this user using a screen reader helper program, like for the visually
handicapped? Rebooting Windows without any startup programs should
prevent from loading that type of program. While I'm addressing only
the view of the web document inside the document window inside of
Firefox's chrome, that you see this similar normal-then-squash (where
you start to see the document at normal size, but then the view switches
to showing the entire document instead of just a portion) in other
programs hints at some software that gets loaded on startup, or a
setting in the video driver (but a driver issue should affect all parts
of a program's window, not just the document window inside a program's
window).

What fonts and sizes is configured within Firefox? Go to
about:preferences, scroll down to the Languages and Appearance section,
and check what is the default font and size. You can click the Advanced
button to see the other font settings. Also look at the "Allow pages to
choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above" setting. Web
sites can specify their own fonts, and their sizes. Some sites select a
horrible font and color scheme making their web document very hard to
read. I've even seen them use tiny fonts with gray on black for little
contrast. However, if you deselect this setting, many sites look clunky
or the layout gets screwed up. I leave this setting enabled, and use
Ctrl+mousewheel to zoom in along with Ctrl+A to select everything which
often gives better contrast on low-contrast web pages. Does the
normal-then-squash effect when loading a web page happen at all sites,
or just some sites?

Some add-ons affect rendering within the document window. For example,
at one time, I had uBlock Origin block web fonts since they can be used
for tracking. Most sites that push their own web fonts get them from
another source, like Google (https://fonts.google.com/). The site
doesn't download the web fonts, and present them as on-site content as
part of their own web page. Instead they link to the source of the web
fonts. That eliminates the bandwidth from their server to deliver the
web fonts, and passes that load off onto the web font supplier. That
means when you visit a site, they connect you to the web font supplier
to get the web fonts, and that means the web font supplier can track
where you visited that linked you to their web fonts, when you visited
that site (by you visiting the web font supplier's site to get the
fonts), and probably more tracking info. However, when I had uBO
disable web fonts, some sites became unusable. They used some web fonts
as icons to indicate what an object was for, like what button did what.
If the site provided their own image file or font (even if they
downloaded the web fonts to their server and delivered them to you from
their server) then web fonts wouldn't be an issue regarding tracking.
You're already at their site, they delivered their content to you, so
obviously they already know you're visiting them. It's when they simply
link to a web font supplier that allows a 3rd party to track your visit
to the original site, when you were there, and other info. My pharmacy
uses web fonts (from Google), and disabling web fonts via setting in uBO
resulting in not knowing how to use their web site. I got fonts from a
fallback set that didn't hint what a button would do. There's no option
in uBO's "Block remote fonts" to exclude some sites from web font
blocking. I went into all that to note that add-ons can affect how a
web document gets rendered. You didn't mention if you tried disabling
all extensions in Firefox, reloading Firefox, and retesting behavior.

Is the user viewing a web page in Reader View mode? Look at the address
bar to see if there is a page icon at the right end. If the page
supports Reader View mode, a grayed page icon appears. If you click on
the page icon, it turns blue meaning Reader View mode is active, and
various elements in the page disappear to supposedly make the page more
readable without distracting content. However, it can screw up the
rendering of a web page. It is just a Javascripted feature
(readability.js at https://github.com/mozilla/readability), and probably
cannot encompass every screw up or oddball layout at every site where
Reader View mode is available. Extensions can similarly screw up, er,
modify the rendition of a web page. Even uBO falls into that category:
it works by breaking a web page by blocking access to some resources. I
previously mentioned disabling all extensions in Firefox.
Alternatively, you can use test with Firefox's safe mode (Settings ->
Help -> Troubleshooting mode). An old trick was to hold down a Shift
key when starting Firefox to get it to load in its safe mode. Don't
know if that still works.

Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

<is3o3dFtjrgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56823&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56823

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 21:38:46 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 19:38 UTC

On 05/10/2021 21:13, VanguardLH wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> When he opens Firefox and goes to a website, the first thing he sees
>> is a normal screen. Then, the content shrinks as the complete page
>> comes upon the screen. This is a page of multiple screens, and as it
>> schrinks, it becomes unreadable. The complete content is in one
>> screen. But this happens with Word as well. When he opens a document
>> of multiple pages, he first sees the first page, and then he sees the
>> whole document on his screen. And the same happens with Outlook. So -
>> this must be somethings of Windows itself. Perhaps a certain setting.

Hi Vanguard,
Thanks for your fast response. I'll answre your questions.

> To what screen resolution is Windows configured? Is it the native
> resolution of the monitor, or is it higher?

I've seen on his laptop 125 %

> I he perhaps hitting the virtual desktops icon (aka Tasks View) in the
> Taskbar, or accidentally hitting Winkey+Tab (instead of, say, Alt+Tab)?
> However, that shows all program windows squashed, not just the document
> window within an program's window.

I don't know. But he sees the dosument or html page in the prograam's
window.

> Same behavior if he disables all startup programs, and reboots?

I'm not sure if he is capable to disable the startup programs. But I'll
tell him to do so.

> Does he allow Windows to automatically update the hardware drivers?

Don't know. I guess not.

> A very bad practice.

Fully agree.

> Hardware updating can be disabled. Drivers should
> only be obtained from the hardware maker, not from Microsoft. In the
> Start Menu, search on "updates history", and open the View Your Update
> History. Collapse all sections, but expand the Driver Updates section.
>
> When you say "a page of multiple screens", what does that mean?

When you open a Word document which has four pages, you only see the
first page. After a short time he sees the four pages in one window.
Characters are too small to read.
When he opens an html document in his browser, first you see one page.
Then you see the whole document in one window. Characters too small to read.

> In a
> web browser, there is only one document window inside the chrome of the
> web browser. Is Firefox changing from normal sized to fullscreen?

It is full screen.

> Is the document painting normal sized within the document window of
> Firefox, but then changes to showing the entire document within the
> window without any scrollbars?

No scrollbars.

> Are there scrollbars when the document
> exceeds the length or width of the document window?

No.

> If scrollbars are missing, does moving around the mouse cursor inside the document window
> get the scrollbars to appear?

No.

> Under Settings -> Ease of Access ->
> Display, is "Automatically hide scroll bars in Windows" enabled? I
> thought that was just for Windows wizard dialogs where the scrollbar is
> super skinny, and hard to click on to jump or drag to scroll through the
> wizard dialog, and this setting as Off gives you back the fat
> scrollbars. Maybe that setting affects other windows. See:
>
> https://www.bruceb.com/2020/04/windows-tip-how-to-stop-the-disappearing-scroll-bar/

I will forward this to him.

> In Firefox, look at the right-end of the address bar. If magnification
> is other than 100%, it is shown there.

It starts with 100 %.

> You can use Ctrl+mousewheel to
> change the zoom level back to 100%, or just click on the zoom icon to
> reset back to 100%. If the zoom level is other than 100%, check if zoom
> is set to some other default level (about:preferences, Language and
> Appearance section, Zoom). I think zoom level is remembered as a site
> preference. That is, if you change zoom for a site, and later revisit
> that site, then the zoom level of before is used again. I purge
> everything locally cached which includes Site Preferences, so zoom
> starts at 100% for every site I revisit.

It does not only happen with Firefox, but with all applications.
Word and Outlook as well.

> You can click on the lock/unlock icon at the left-end of Firefox's
> address bar, and click "Clear cookies and site data" for just the site
> you are visiting in the currently selected tab. Or you can go into
> Firefox's settings to purge all history, including site preferences for
> all sites. Depends on how big a spatula you want to use to swipe away
> the site preferences.

That's not a bad idea anyway.

> Is this user using a screen reader helper program, like for the visually
> handicapped?

No.

> Rebooting Windows without any startup programs should
> prevent from loading that type of program. While I'm addressing only
> the view of the web document inside the document window inside of
> Firefox's chrome, that you see this similar normal-then-squash (where
> you start to see the document at normal size, but then the view switches
> to showing the entire document instead of just a portion) in other
> programs hints at some software that gets loaded on startup, or a
> setting in the video driver (but a driver issue should affect all parts
> of a program's window, not just the document window inside a program's
> window).
>
> What fonts and sizes is configured within Firefox?

It's standard. He does not have the knowledge to change that.

> Go to about:preferences, scroll down to the Languages and Appearance section,
> and check what is the default font and size. You can click the Advanced
> button to see the other font settings. Also look at the "Allow pages to
> choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above" setting. Web
> sites can specify their own fonts, and their sizes. Some sites select a
> horrible font and color scheme making their web document very hard to
> read. I've even seen them use tiny fonts with gray on black for little
> contrast. However, if you deselect this setting, many sites look clunky
> or the layout gets screwed up. I leave this setting enabled, and use
> Ctrl+mousewheel to zoom in along with Ctrl+A to select everything which
> often gives better contrast on low-contrast web pages. Does the
> normal-then-squash effect when loading a web page happen at all sites,
> or just some sites?
>
> Some add-ons affect rendering within the document window. For example,
> at one time, I had uBlock Origin block web fonts since they can be used
> for tracking. Most sites that push their own web fonts get them from
> another source, like Google (https://fonts.google.com/). The site
> doesn't download the web fonts, and present them as on-site content as
> part of their own web page. Instead they link to the source of the web
> fonts. That eliminates the bandwidth from their server to deliver the
> web fonts, and passes that load off onto the web font supplier. That
> means when you visit a site, they connect you to the web font supplier
> to get the web fonts, and that means the web font supplier can track
> where you visited that linked you to their web fonts, when you visited
> that site (by you visiting the web font supplier's site to get the
> fonts), and probably more tracking info. However, when I had uBO
> disable web fonts, some sites became unusable. They used some web fonts
> as icons to indicate what an object was for, like what button did what.
> If the site provided their own image file or font (even if they
> downloaded the web fonts to their server and delivered them to you from
> their server) then web fonts wouldn't be an issue regarding tracking.
> You're already at their site, they delivered their content to you, so
> obviously they already know you're visiting them. It's when they simply
> link to a web font supplier that allows a 3rd party to track your visit
> to the original site, when you were there, and other info. My pharmacy
> uses web fonts (from Google), and disabling web fonts via setting in uBO
> resulting in not knowing how to use their web site. I got fonts from a
> fallback set that didn't hint what a button would do. There's no option
> in uBO's "Block remote fonts" to exclude some sites from web font
> blocking. I went into all that to note that add-ons can affect how a
> web document gets rendered. You didn't mention if you tried disabling
> all extensions in Firefox, reloading Firefox, and retesting behavior.

It's not only a Forefox issue. It happens on other programs as well.

> Is the user viewing a web page in Reader View mode? Look at the address
> bar to see if there is a page icon at the right end.

Yes, it's there.

> If the page supports Reader View mode, a grayed page icon appears. If you click on
> the page icon, it turns blue meaning Reader View mode is active, and
> various elements in the page disappear to supposedly make the page more
> readable without distracting content. However, it can screw up the
> rendering of a web page. It is just a Javascripted feature
> (readability.js at https://github.com/mozilla/readability), and probably
> cannot encompass every screw up or oddball layout at every site where
> Reader View mode is available. Extensions can similarly screw up, er,
> modify the rendition of a web page. Even uBO falls into that category:
> it works by breaking a web page by blocking access to some resources. I
> previously mentioned disabling all extensions in Firefox.
> Alternatively, you can use test with Firefox's safe mode (Settings ->
> Help -> Troubleshooting mode). An old trick was to hold down a Shift
> key when starting Firefox to get it to load in its safe mode. Don't
> know if that still works.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

<128f419ebh4pc.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56842&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56842

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:22:25 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:22 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> When he opens Firefox and goes to a website, the first thing he sees
>>> is a normal screen. Then, the content shrinks as the complete page
>>> comes upon the screen. This is a page of multiple screens, and as it
>>> schrinks, it becomes unreadable. The complete content is in one
>>> screen. But this happens with Word as well. When he opens a document
>>> of multiple pages, he first sees the first page, and then he sees the
>>> whole document on his screen. And the same happens with Outlook. So -
>>> this must be somethings of Windows itself. Perhaps a certain setting.
>>
>> To what screen resolution is Windows configured? Is it the native
>> resolution of the monitor, or is it higher?
>
> I've seen on his laptop 125 %

That's the DPI, not the screen resolution. Many programs are not
DPI-aware despite Microsoft published their DPI guide around 2000-2002.
Both Firefox and Word should be DPI-aware. Changing DPI and using
non-DPI aware programs means something gets truncated, like the text
label on a button, or text in a panel or window. There are
compatibility settings for DPI, but that doesn't seem it would affect
first seeing normal size that then get squashed to tiny size (while also
showing more content) that you describe. Upping the DPI makes the text
bigger and easier to read, may encounter truncation in the display of
the text, but shouldn't force apps to show the entire document in their
doc window component of the app's chrome.

> When you open a Word document which has four pages, you only see the
> first page. After a short time he sees the four pages in one window.
> Characters are too small to read.

Is he downloading the document to load into Word? That would explain
the delay between seeing some content to when all content is shown.
MS Office/365 where docs are stored online in the OneDrive account,
there is an option to NOT have a local copy, just a pointer to a doc.
When you want to open the doc, the pointer to OneDrive shows were to
download it, so Internet speed along with other factors, like how long
before a busy server can get to honor the request, would affect how long
before the entire doc got downloaded.

I haven't used Word for a few years. As I recall, there is a layout
mode that will show multiple pages. It isn't for reading. It's for
checking the layout of the doc, like where are images, too much
whitespace, paragraphing and position, and so on. I remember using
2-page layout to see how the content looked on the verso and recto pages
that you would see together when opening a book. I suppose there are
other view modes that would show you even more pages at a time.

https://www.howtogeek.com/215187/how-to-view-multiple-pages-at-once-in-word/

That mentions a zoom view where you can zoom/scale the page view, but
you can also select how many pages to view at a time.

>> In a web browser, there is only one document window inside the chrome
>> of the web browser. Is Firefox changing from normal sized to
>> fullscreen?
>
> It is full screen.

Even if the chrome for Firefox were fullscreened, the font size for the
doc remains the same inside its doc window. Pressing F11 to
fullscreen/normal switch chrome size should not affect the font size in
the web doc. However, changing the size of the doc window by changing
the size of the chrome/app window can change how a Javascripted page
will present itself. Ever see those Javascripted web pages that
continue to keep growing in length as you near the end of the current
page? They never end!

What happens if the user does NOT fullscreen Firefox, and instead uses a
normal-size window that is, say, about two-thirds the size of the
monitor's screen?

>> Is the document painting normal sized within the document window of
>> Firefox, but then changes to showing the entire document within the
>> window without any scrollbars?
>
> No scrollbars.
>
>> Are there scrollbars when the document exceeds the length or width of
>> the document window?
>
> No.

No scrollbars when the web doc exceeds the size of the doc window is not
normal. However, if FF is fullscreened, it doc window could be wider,
or taller, or both than the size of the doc. Again, don't fullscreen FF
to see if scrollbars show up. As the doc window reduces in size, it
should reach a point where it is smaller than the doc, and scrollbars
should show up.

That scrollbars don't show up when the doc is bigger than the doc window
usually means you have no way to see the rest of the doc. Yet your
description indicates something is forcing the doc window to view the
entire document by squashing the doc inside the current size of the doc
window. That's why I'd try disabling all startup program or use
Windows' safe mode to get rid of any programs loading on startup (not
just a logout and login of your Windows session, but a restart of
Windows itself).

>> In Firefox, look at the right-end of the address bar. If
>> magnification is other than 100%, it is shown there.
>
> It starts with 100 %.

Does it stay at 100% after the doc gets squashed to show tiny fonts?

Has this user yet rebooted his computer to restart Windows, and retest?
If something got corrupted in memory, restarting will load a new memory
image of Windows and apps.

Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

<is7mtsFm6otU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56907&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56907

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:43:15 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 07:43 UTC

On 06/10/2021 00:22, VanguardLH wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> To what screen resolution is Windows configured? Is it the native
>>> resolution of the monitor, or is it higher?
>>
>> I've seen on his laptop 125 %
>
> That's the DPI, not the screen resolution. Many programs are not
> DPI-aware despite Microsoft published their DPI guide around 2000-2002.
> Both Firefox and Word should be DPI-aware. Changing DPI and using
> non-DPI aware programs means something gets truncated, like the text
> label on a button, or text in a panel or window. There are
> compatibility settings for DPI, but that doesn't seem it would affect
> first seeing normal size that then get squashed to tiny size (while also
> showing more content) that you describe. Upping the DPI makes the text
> bigger and easier to read, may encounter truncation in the display of
> the text, but shouldn't force apps to show the entire document in their
> doc window component of the app's chrome.
>
>> When you open a Word document which has four pages, you only see the
>> first page. After a short time he sees the four pages in one window.
>> Characters are too small to read.
>
> Is he downloading the document to load into Word?

No, it's an existing document. When you open it, you see the first page
but after a short time it shows all the pages in one window.

> That would explain
> the delay between seeing some content to when all content is shown.

It loads fast, that's not the problem.

> Even if using
> MS Office/365 where docs are stored online in the OneDrive account,
> there is an option to NOT have a local copy, just a pointer to a doc.
> When you want to open the doc, the pointer to OneDrive shows were to
> download it, so Internet speed along with other factors, like how long
> before a busy server can get to honor the request, would affect how long
> before the entire doc got downloaded.
>
> I haven't used Word for a few years. As I recall, there is a layout
> mode that will show multiple pages. It isn't for reading. It's for
> checking the layout of the doc, like where are images, too much
> whitespace, paragraphing and position, and so on. I remember using
> 2-page layout to see how the content looked on the verso and recto pages
> that you would see together when opening a book. I suppose there are
> other view modes that would show you even more pages at a time.
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/215187/how-to-view-multiple-pages-at-once-in-word/
>
> That mentions a zoom view where you can zoom/scale the page view, but
> you can also select how many pages to view at a time.
>
>>> In a web browser, there is only one document window inside the chrome
>>> of the web browser. Is Firefox changing from normal sized to
>>> fullscreen?
>>
>> It is full screen.
>
> Even if the chrome for Firefox were fullscreened, the font size for the
> doc remains the same inside its doc window. Pressing F11 to
> fullscreen/normal switch chrome size should not affect the font size in
> the web doc. However, changing the size of the doc window by changing
> the size of the chrome/app window can change how a Javascripted page
> will present itself. Ever see those Javascripted web pages that
> continue to keep growing in length as you near the end of the current
> page? They never end!
>
> What happens if the user does NOT fullscreen Firefox, and instead uses a
> normal-size window that is, say, about two-thirds the size of the
> monitor's screen?

I don't know. I'll have to ask him.

>>> Is the document painting normal sized within the document window of
>>> Firefox, but then changes to showing the entire document within the
>>> window without any scrollbars?
>>
>> No scrollbars.
>>
>>> Are there scrollbars when the document exceeds the length or width of
>>> the document window?
>>
>> No.
>
> No scrollbars when the web doc exceeds the size of the doc window is not
> normal.

That's true, but the complete dosument is on the screen. So there is
nothing to scroll.

> However, if FF is fullscreened, it doc window could be wider,
> or taller, or both than the size of the doc. Again, don't fullscreen FF
> to see if scrollbars show up. As the doc window reduces in size, it
> should reach a point where it is smaller than the doc, and scrollbars
> should show up.
>
> That scrollbars don't show up when the doc is bigger than the doc window
> usually means you have no way to see the rest of the doc. Yet your
> description indicates something is forcing the doc window to view the
> entire document by squashing the doc inside the current size of the doc
> window.

Correct

> That's why I'd try disabling all startup program or use
> Windows' safe mode to get rid of any programs loading on startup (not
> just a logout and login of your Windows session, but a restart of
> Windows itself).

I'll ask him to do that.

>>> In Firefox, look at the right-end of the address bar. If
>>> magnification is other than 100%, it is shown there.
>>
>> It starts with 100 %.
>
> Does it stay at 100% after the doc gets squashed to show tiny fonts?

I don't know. I'll ask him.

> Has this user yet rebooted his computer to restart Windows, and retest?
> If something got corrupted in memory, restarting will load a new memory
> image of Windows and apps.

It happens every day. And he starts his laptop every day.

Fokke

Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

<9akz02ajs148$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56928&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56928

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 10:42:23 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 15:42 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

> It happens every day. And he starts his laptop every day.

But "starting" could be from sleep or hibernation modes, not a full
boot, especially with a laptop.

Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

<isa602F67e0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56963&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56963

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 08:12:40 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 06:12 UTC

On 07/10/2021 17:42, VanguardLH wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> It happens every day. And he starts his laptop every day.
>
> But "starting" could be from sleep or hibernation modes, not a full
> boot, especially with a laptop.

That's true. I tell him to switch him off and have a clean boot.

Fokke

Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages

<isgl15Fdiv1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57033&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57033

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 19:06:01 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:06 UTC

On 07/10/2021 17:42, VanguardLH wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> It happens every day. And he starts his laptop every day.
>
> But "starting" could be from sleep or hibernation modes, not a full
> boot, especially with a laptop.

Hi,

My student does not answer my mails with suggestions.
I'll close this issue.
Thanks for your response anyway. Much appreciated.

Fokke

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Window shrinks to multiple pages