You will not censor me through bug terrorism. -- James Troup

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versa

SubjectAuthor
* how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versamicky
+* Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versaRich Ulrich
|`- Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versamicky
`* Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versaArthur T.
 `- Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versamicky

1
how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versa

<4r34uitmpgiemombpfqibp71j1560q0b3q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5688&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5688

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versa
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 12:37:36 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:37 UTC

I'm using version 5.

Workaround found in the last 2 lines of the last paragraph, but I'd
still like to ask the question below:

I disabled the Insert key using AutoHotKey because I almost never want
to overlay text, but twice now, writing a post in Agent has switched
from Insert to Overlay. Is there any internal method inside Agent by
which to do that that does not use the Insert key. Maybe I did it by
accident.
I tried to undo this by Pausing the Autohotkey script, and then using
the Insert key to change it back, but even though the icon in the
systray for AHK changes from green to red, the Insert key still does not
work. I've had to get around the problem by writing the text I want to
insert somewhere else and them cutting and pasting it where it should
go. (Pausing doens't seem to pause other changes I made. ;-( ) Oh,
Suspending hotkeys does work. I didnt' realize I was using hotkeys.

Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versa

<gg64ui9ihp6o593s2q7uq6ko0dshhdbua3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5689&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5689

From: rich.ulrich@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 13:17:08 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:17 UTC

On Fri, 01 Mar 2024 12:37:36 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>I'm using version 5.
>
>Workaround found in the last 2 lines of the last paragraph, but I'd
>still like to ask the question below:
>
>I disabled the Insert key using AutoHotKey because I almost never want
>to overlay text, but twice now, writing a post in Agent has switched
>from Insert to Overlay. Is there any internal method inside Agent by
>which to do that that does not use the Insert key. Maybe I did it by
>accident.

I had that INS/OVL problem years ago when I did not realize
that accidentally hitting the 0 on the numeric keypad was
causing the switch. And would switch back.

That helps you unless this is the Insert that you disabled.
Nowadays, I recognize that the Insert next to my function keys
(up top) is among several function keys that don't do what I
expect them to

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versa

<kr74ui5vbrvalvbma1nsiiqo7u6r3v53qo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5690&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5690

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 13:45:32 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:45 UTC

In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, on Fri, 01 Mar 2024 13:17:08
-0500, Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Mar 2024 12:37:36 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm using version 5.
>>
>>Workaround found in the last 2 lines of the last paragraph, but I'd
>>still like to ask the question below:
>>
>>I disabled the Insert key using AutoHotKey because I almost never want
>>to overlay text, but twice now, writing a post in Agent has switched
>>from Insert to Overlay. Is there any internal method inside Agent by
>>which to do that that does not use the Insert key. Maybe I did it by
>>accident.
>
>I had that INS/OVL problem years ago when I did not realize
>that accidentally hitting the 0 on the numeric keypad was
>causing the switch. And would switch back.

BOING! Perfect.

>That helps you unless this is the Insert that you disabled.
>Nowadays, I recognize that the Insert next to my function keys
>(up top) is among several function keys that don't do what I
>expect them to

Totally forgot that there are two Insert keys. Never even look at those
3 little letters on the bottom of the 0 key. Of the 17 keys in the
numeric area of the keyboard, I use about 15, but never their
"sub-purpose". I use + to expand threads and - to collapse them.

Of course AHK allows one to specify each and every key, so I just need
to add one more line to the AHK script for the second Insert key. If
Num LOck is on, it would be a zero instead. Since I only use the
numberic values for those keys and always have to turn NumLock On first,
Maybe I should just disable Numlock, but I'm not sure how that would
work... Would NumLock Off be the default or Numlock On? A tiny question
for another day.)

(I have / defined as volume up, * defined as volume down, and Pause as
Mute. Works really well.)

>>I tried to undo this by Pausing the Autohotkey script, and then using
>>the Insert key to change it back, but even though the icon in the
>>systray for AHK changes from green to red, the Insert key still does not
>>work. I've had to get around the problem by writing the text I want to
>>insert somewhere else and them cutting and pasting it where it should
>>go. (Pausing doens't seem to pause other changes I made. ;-( ) Oh,
>>Suspending hotkeys does work. I didnt' realize I was using hotkeys.

Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versa

<ra84ui5m29o9q7mttdq5ualomcc1pqu727@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5691&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5691

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 13:51:00 -0500
 by: Arthur T. - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:51 UTC

In Message-ID:<4r34uitmpgiemombpfqibp71j1560q0b3q@4ax.com>,
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>I disabled the Insert key using AutoHotKey because I almost never want
>to overlay text, but twice now, writing a post in Agent has switched
>from Insert to Overlay. Is there any internal method inside Agent by
>which to do that that does not use the Insert key. Maybe I did it by
>accident.

This worked for the previous person with a similar problem almost a
decade ago (Message-ID: <dbk9lb56ua14gj93h3hui4o3ee8rs7kbte@4ax.com>)

>Absent the key, I'd try closing Agent and editing the INI file.
>I have "Overwrite=0", and I can insert characters. The Agent help
>says of this line, "When non-zero, the status bar on the message
>composition window will indicate that you are in the overwrite mode."

It doesn't explain how you accidentally triggered the Insert mode,
but it's a one-time fix rather than playing games with every message.

BTW, the person with the original problem never figured out how
insert mode was toggled without an insert key. But I do have a piece
of software that unintentionally does the equivalent of hitting that
key (WordWeb).

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: how to change from Insert to Overlay, or vice versa

<ojc5uitrppv2aj77fdm0jdmvp535lluup4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5692&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5692

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 00:08:57 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 05:08 UTC

In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, on Fri, 01 Mar 2024 13:51:00
-0500, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid> wrote:

>In Message-ID:<4r34uitmpgiemombpfqibp71j1560q0b3q@4ax.com>,
>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>I disabled the Insert key using AutoHotKey because I almost never want
>>to overlay text, but twice now, writing a post in Agent has switched
>>from Insert to Overlay. Is there any internal method inside Agent by
>>which to do that that does not use the Insert key. Maybe I did it by
>>accident.
>
>This worked for the previous person with a similar problem almost a
>decade ago (Message-ID: <dbk9lb56ua14gj93h3hui4o3ee8rs7kbte@4ax.com>)

Thanks a lot. Insterestingly, even though this was from 8 years ago,
two of the 6 posts were mine! The first paragraph of one still
applies:

I don't know what I would have done years ago without Usenet. So many
questions and nowhere else to get answers. Even now, I hate
web-forums.

If you want an Insert key, you can use KeyRemapper or AutoHotKey to
make any unused key into whatever you want. KeyRemapper. is much
easier but it costs $25 after 30 days. AHK is free and even more
powerful but takes some thinking and I still can't get a 2 less
important of the 7 things I want to do to work.
-- ((I tried to make exceptions so that Pause would still work when I
was running CMD or TCC and so that Numpad / and * would still work as
originally intended when I was running Calculator. I never got the
exceptions to work, but I think I've only used Pause one day in my life,
and for Calc I click on the virtual keys on the screen, instead of using
the actual keyboard. ))

I disabled Insert within Forte Agent,[OR THOUGHT I HAD]
and I turned 3 keys into volume up, down, and mute, so I don't have
to shop for a multimedia keyboard and I can base what I use on other
factors.

>>Absent the key, I'd try closing Agent and editing the INI file.
>>I have "Overwrite=0", and I can insert characters. The Agent help
>>says of this line, "When non-zero, the status bar on the message
>>composition window will indicate that you are in the overwrite mode."
>
>It doesn't explain how you accidentally triggered the Insert mode,
>but it's a one-time fix rather than playing games with every message.
>
>BTW, the person with the original problem never figured out how
>insert mode was toggled without an insert key. But I do have a piece
>of software that unintentionally does the equivalent of hitting that
>key (WordWeb).

So far, I use nothing but full-size keyboards, even with a laptop.