From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Importing mbox files
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:01:34 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 11:01 UTC

Archive.org has mbox files of old usenet articles for download, e. g.
here: https://archive.org/details/usenet-de
Now, is there a way to import them into Forte Agent 6? I'm running Linux
Ubuntu (and Agent in Wine), but I could also use the old Windows 10 PC.

Thx for any hints.

-jw-

Re: Importing mbox files

<cpcktih7qh6b1r4ndqm816t0es62ag0e0q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5682&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5682

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Importing mbox files
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 07:19:27 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:19 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:01:34 +0100, Joerg Walther wrote:

> Archive.org has mbox files of old usenet articles for download, e. g.
> here: https://archive.org/details/usenet-de
> Now, is there a way to import them into Forte Agent 6? I'm running Linux
> Ubuntu (and Agent in Wine), but I could also use the old Windows 10 PC.
>
> Thx for any hints.
>
> -jw-

File >> Import and Export >> Import Messages

Help >> Index >> Importing, messages >> Import Message File Format

Even though that help page says "RFC-822" at the top it is actually mbox,
the Unix message file format. Agent's import should handle most variants
of mbox.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Where Bees are, there is honey.

Re: Importing mbox files

<u9mmti1h47gqmsuqv1vus7ov8a0jieu48c@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5683&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5683

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:41:34 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 15:41 UTC

Ralph Fox wrote:

>File >> Import and Export >> Import Messages

Thanks, I thought so but wanted to be sure. BUT: it failed twice. One
file even gets imported, but into one news article of 200000 lines
length, for another one the importer say it doesn't contain any news.
Strangely enough Claws Mail imports both without any problems. Could
these fails be due to the fact that I am running Agent on Wine? I will
give it a try on my old Windows PC later this day.

-jw-

Re: Importing mbox files

<q10ntitvq1ekdl1k59sir296r2if2r1rm5@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5684&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5684

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:01:45 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:01 UTC

Joerg Walther wrote:

> Could
>these fails be due to the fact that I am running Agent on Wine? I will
>give it a try on my old Windows PC later this day.

Same behaviour on regular Windows 10. Next I'm going to import & export
to Claws Mail and then try to import in Agent and report here.

-jw-

Re: Importing mbox files

<156ntit4lpu24rtg5fk3phach5dhvn03fv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5685&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5685

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 08:44:43 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:44 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:41:34 +0100, Joerg Walther wrote:
> Ralph Fox wrote:
>
>> File >> Import and Export >> Import Messages
>
> Thanks, I thought so but wanted to be sure. BUT: it failed twice. One
> file even gets imported, but into one news article of 200000 lines
> length, for another one the importer say it doesn't contain any news.
> Strangely enough Claws Mail imports both without any problems. Could
> these fails be due to the fact that I am running Agent on Wine? I will
> give it a try on my old Windows PC later this day.

Running on Wine will not cause a problem. Agent can import mbox files
in Wine.

If it fails, it is probably because the "From " separator lines are
not in the format which Agent expects.

Checking the mbox file "de.alt.comp.mbox" from Archive.org...
* The "From " separator lines do not contain a date & time.
* Agent expects the "From " separator lines to contain a date and
time because (a) they normally do, and (b) this allows Agent's
import to handle variants of the mbox file format.

If you make the following search-and-replace in Notepad++, the mbox
file "de.alt.comp.mbox" will import into Agent. This changes the
"From " separator line into the format which Agent expects:

* Find what: ^From [-0-9][0-9]*$
* Replace with: From ???@??? Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 -0000 1970
* Search mode: (*) Regular expression

Screen-shot: <https://i.imgur.com/XJqRiDQ.png>

There is another problem which you will see after you import the mbox
file "de.alt.comp.mbox" into Agent.
* The messages will not have the correct dates in the message list.
The root cause is:
* The "Date:" headers in the mbox file are not in RFC822 format.
* The "Date:" headers look like something from the DejaNews archive,
where the time of day and timezone have been thrown away and
what is left is in some format other than RFC822.

I do not know whether all mbox files from Archive.org have this
problem. It may depend on whether the mbox contents originally came
from the DejaNews archive.

In principle someone could write a converter to convert these DejaNews
"Date:" headers to RFC822 format. This would require inventing a fake
time-of-day for each message.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Fair words butter no parsnips.

Re: Importing mbox files

<281pti590ad5dn3l63bh2lk3ea2lquf304@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5687&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5687

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:35:21 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 12:35 UTC

Ralph Fox wrote:

>Running on Wine will not cause a problem. Agent can import mbox files
>in Wine.
>
>If it fails, it is probably because the "From " separator lines are
>not in the format which Agent expects.

I can confirm that, it produced the same error message in Win as in
Wine. Importing and exporting the mbox with Claws Mail and then feeding
it to Agent finally worked although it took a while. Claws Mail somehow
"repaired" the mbox, which after the export was a bit bigger than
before.

-jw-