If it wasn't for Newton, we wouldn't have to eat bruised apples.

computers / comp.text.tex / Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

SubjectAuthor
* Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Pieter van Oostrum
+* Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Peter Flynn
|`* Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Pieter van Oostrum
| `* Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Stefan Möding
|  +* Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Pieter van Oostrum
|  |+* Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Stefan Möding
|  ||`- Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Pieter van Oostrum
|  |`- Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)John Doe
|  `- Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)John Doe
`* Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)John Doe
 `- Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)Pieter van Oostrum

1
Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<m2a64yhmj9.fsf@vanoostrum.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5603&group=comp.text.tex#5603

From: pieter-l@vanoostrum.org (Pieter van Oostrum)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 16:11:38 +0100
 by: Pieter van Oostrum - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 15:11 UTC

On my MacOS system (Catalina) the directory ~/Library/texmf used to be
my personal TeX tree. I could put personal files there and they would be
found by TeX, and of course also by kpsewhich.
However I noticed that recently it stopped to do that. Debugging with
kpsewhich it seems that it is now ~/texmf. Is that a conscious change in
TeXlive or could it be some configuration parameter that has changed in
my own setup?
Of course I can move the directory or use a symlink, but I would like to
know why this has changed.
--
Pieter van Oostrum <pieter@vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<jt5aj4F8gvcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5608&group=comp.text.tex#5608

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:00:03 +0000
 by: Peter Flynn - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:00 UTC

On 10/11/2022 15:11, Pieter van Oostrum wrote:
> On my MacOS system (Catalina) the directory ~/Library/texmf used to be
> my personal TeX tree. I could put personal files there and they would be
> found by TeX, and of course also by kpsewhich.
> However I noticed that recently it stopped to do that. Debugging with
> kpsewhich it seems that it is now ~/texmf. Is that a conscious change in
> TeXlive or could it be some configuration parameter that has changed in
> my own setup?
> Of course I can move the directory or use a symlink, but I would like to
> know why this has changed.

I suspect it's because ~/texmf is the default for Linux, so it may be to
bring the systems into line. C:\texmf used to be the location for [old]
Windows, but that's now something like
Computer\System\Users\your~name\texmf unless that too has been changed.

I document ~/Library/texmf in Formatting Information at
http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/personal.html#macpers
so I'll update that with a warning if someone can confirm that ~/texmf
is indeed now the place.

Peter

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<m2iljlanfz.fsf@vanoostrum.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5609&group=comp.text.tex#5609

From: pieter-l@vanoostrum.org (Pieter van Oostrum)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:46:08 +0100
 by: Pieter van Oostrum - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 08:46 UTC

The MacTeX FAQ still mentions ~/Library/texmf as the place to use (https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/faq.html#qm05).
--
Pieter van Oostrum <pieter@vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<m2sfiphnub.fsf@athena.moeding.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5610&group=comp.text.tex#5610

From: Nov2022.5.kill-9@spamgourmet.com (Stefan Möding)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:55:40 +0100
sha1:Wl5j5/uRbti73B46FkgnqDdpHzQ=
 by: Stefan Möding - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 08:55 UTC

Pieter van Oostrum <pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> writes:

> Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

>> On 10/11/2022 15:11, Pieter van Oostrum wrote:
>>> On my MacOS system (Catalina) the directory ~/Library/texmf used to be
>>> my personal TeX tree. I could put personal files there and they would be
>>> found by TeX, and of course also by kpsewhich.
>>> However I noticed that recently it stopped to do that. Debugging with
>>> kpsewhich it seems that it is now ~/texmf. Is that a conscious change in
>>> TeXlive or could it be some configuration parameter that has changed in
>>> my own setup?
>>> Of course I can move the directory or use a symlink, but I would like to
>>> know why this has changed.
>>
>> I suspect it's because ~/texmf is the default for Linux, so it may be to
>> bring the systems into line. C:\texmf used to be the location for [old]
>> Windows, but that's now something like
>> Computer\System\Users\your~name\texmf unless that too has been changed.
>>
>> I document ~/Library/texmf in Formatting Information at
>> http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/personal.html#macpers
>> so I'll update that with a warning if someone can confirm that ~/texmf
>> is indeed now the place.

> The MacTeX FAQ still mentions ~/Library/texmf as the place to use
> (https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/faq.html#qm05).

Check the setting of TEXMFHOME in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf (the
local config) and /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf (the
distribution settings). I have:

% grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf

% grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf

I'm not sure if I created the setting in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
myself or if that was done by the installation.

--
Stefan

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<m2edu99x0x.fsf@vanoostrum.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5612&group=comp.text.tex#5612

From: pieter-l@vanoostrum.org (Pieter van Oostrum)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 19:16:46 +0100
 by: Pieter van Oostrum - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 18:16 UTC

Stefan Möding <Nov2022.5.kill-9@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> Pieter van Oostrum <pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> writes:
>
>> Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
>

> Check the setting of TEXMFHOME in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf (the
> local config) and /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf (the
> distribution settings). I have:
>
> % grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
> TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf
>
> % grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
> TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf
>
> I'm not sure if I created the setting in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
> myself or if that was done by the installation.

I have the same, so it must be the installation. However, the first one seems to have priority.

% kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXMFHOME'
/Users/pieter/texmf
% kpsewhich -var-value 'TEXMFHOME'
/Users/pieter/texmf

--
Pieter van Oostrum <pieter@vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<m24jv4bizy.fsf@athena.moeding.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5614&group=comp.text.tex#5614

From: Nov2022.5.kill-9@spamgourmet.com (Stefan Möding)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 10:49:05 +0100
sha1:JTKo3PZWkB3cAKBHi99gVHfPdac=
 by: Stefan Möding - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 09:49 UTC

Pieter van Oostrum <pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> writes:

> % kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXMFHOME'
> /Users/pieter/texmf
> % kpsewhich -var-value 'TEXMFHOME'
> /Users/pieter/texmf

These commands show the expected path below ~/Library in my environment.
Do you have any TeX related environment variables in your shell?

% env | grep TEX

--
Stefan

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<m2h6z4npra.fsf@vanoostrum.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5621&group=comp.text.tex#5621

From: pieter-l@vanoostrum.org (Pieter van Oostrum)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 16:42:17 +0100
 by: Pieter van Oostrum - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:42 UTC

Stefan Möding <Nov2022.5.kill-9@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> Pieter van Oostrum <pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> writes:
>
>> % kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXMFHOME'
>> /Users/pieter/texmf
>> % kpsewhich -var-value 'TEXMFHOME'
>> /Users/pieter/texmf
>
> These commands show the expected path below ~/Library in my environment.
> Do you have any TeX related environment variables in your shell?
>
> % env | grep TEX

I found the problem. It was my own fault.

I had changed the stack_size parameter. But I had done it by copying
/usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf to
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/ and changing that value there.
This file contains the TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf value thereby overriding the
value of TEXMFHOME in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf which contains
TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf (because texmf-local has priority).

Instead I should have created a
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf with only the stack_size
parameter.

Now everything works again as it should.
--
Pieter van Oostrum <pieter@vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<tkr0bt$1bd3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5634&group=comp.text.tex#5634

From: john.doe@myemail.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:52:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:52 UTC

On Nov 10, 2022 at 9:11:38 AM CST, "Pieter van Oostrum"
<pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> wrote:

> On my MacOS system (Catalina) the directory ~/Library/texmf used to be
> my personal TeX tree. I could put personal files there and they would be
> found by TeX, and of course also by kpsewhich.
> However I noticed that recently it stopped to do that. Debugging with
> kpsewhich it seems that it is now ~/texmf. Is that a conscious change in
> TeXlive or could it be some configuration parameter that has changed in
> my own setup?
> Of course I can move the directory or use a symlink, but I would like to
> know why this has changed.

Howdy,

What TeX distribution are you using? TeX Live as installed by MacTeX still
uses ~/Library/texmf for TEXMFHOME.

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<tkr0fq$1ctv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5635&group=comp.text.tex#5635

From: john.doe@myemail.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:54:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:54 UTC

On Nov 11, 2022 at 2:55:40 AM CST, "Stefan Möding"
<Nov2022.5.kill-9@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> Pieter van Oostrum <pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> writes:
>
>> Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

>>> I suspect it's because ~/texmf is the default for Linux, so it may be to
>>> bring the systems into line. C:\texmf used to be the location for [old]
>>> Windows, but that's now something like
>>> Computer\System\Users\your~name\texmf unless that too has been changed.
>>>
>>> I document ~/Library/texmf in Formatting Information at
>>> http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/personal.html#macpers
>>> so I'll update that with a warning if someone can confirm that ~/texmf
>>> is indeed now the place.
>
>> The MacTeX FAQ still mentions ~/Library/texmf as the place to use
>> (https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/faq.html#qm05).
>
> Check the setting of TEXMFHOME in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf (the
> local config) and /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf (the
> distribution settings). I have:
>
> % grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
> TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf
>
> % grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
> TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf
>
> I'm not sure if I created the setting in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
> myself or if that was done by the installation.

Howdy,

It was set by the installation if you installed using the MacTeX installer.

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<tkr0je$1eq4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5636&group=comp.text.tex#5636

From: john.doe@myemail.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:56:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:56 UTC

On Nov 11, 2022 at 12:16:46 PM CST, "Pieter van Oostrum"
<pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> wrote:

> Stefan Möding <Nov2022.5.kill-9@spamgourmet.com> writes:
>
>> Pieter van Oostrum <pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> writes:
>>
>>> Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
>>

>> Check the setting of TEXMFHOME in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf (the
>> local config) and /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf (the
>> distribution settings). I have:
>>
>> % grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
>> TEXMFHOME = ~/texmf
>>
>> % grep ^TEXMFHOME /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
>> TEXMFHOME = ~/Library/texmf
>>
>> I'm not sure if I created the setting in /usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf.cnf
>> myself or if that was done by the installation.
>>
> I have the same, so it must be the installation. However, the first one seems
> to have priority.
>
> % kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXMFHOME'
> /Users/pieter/texmf
> % kpsewhich -var-value 'TEXMFHOME'
> /Users/pieter/texmf

Howdy,

No it doesn't. You must be resetting it somewhere else.

Re: Personal TeX tree on MacOS in TeXlive (MacTeX)

<m2h6z2795p.fsf@vanoostrum.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5640&group=comp.text.tex#5640

From: pieter-l@vanoostrum.org (Pieter van Oostrum)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 23:59:46 +0100
 by: Pieter van Oostrum - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 22:59 UTC

John Doe <john.doe@myemail.invalid> writes:

> What TeX distribution are you using? TeX Live as installed by MacTeX still
> uses ~/Library/texmf for TEXMFHOME.

See my last reply which explains what went wrong.`