From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: [OT] connecting to PC through router wifi port
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 11:16:51 +1000
 by: faeychild - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 01:16 UTC

equipment

Android phone
PC Mageia 8
kdeconnect
netcomm modem router NF18MESH

While I can connect to the ISP with the android using the wireless
connection, I am baffled as to how to connect to the PC
I suspect that the WiFi is a different network from the wan

Any links to tutorials would be a great help

regards

--
Running KDE on x86_64 5.15.110-desktop-2.mga8
Mageia release 8

Re: [OT] connecting to PC through router wifi port

<op.15x7xhaba3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5607&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5607

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: [OT] connecting to PC through router wifi port
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 01:52:19 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 05:52 UTC

On Fri, 02 Jun 2023 21:16:51 -0400, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> equipment
> Android phone
> PC Mageia 8
> kdeconnect
> netcomm modem router NF18MESH
>
> While I can connect to the ISP with the android using the wireless
> connection, I am baffled as to how to connect to the PC
> I suspect that the WiFi is a different network from the wan
>
> Any links to tutorials would be a great help

With my tp-link router, for the lan, there is one address for the router and
a subnet mask. Doesn't matter if I connect via ethernet or using a wireless
connection. They are both in the same address range.

The wan is only for connections that go through the isp.

From experience I know that some routers allow making the other systems connected
to it invisible to a wireless guest. In the netcomm, that option is called
"Enable LAN side firewal". Make sure it's off which appears to be the default.

Have you tried connecting to the pc using it's lan ip address?
Make sure shorewall isn't blocking the port for the lan addresses.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [OT] connecting to PC through router wifi port

<u5h2l6$3rknb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5608&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5608

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:07:02 +1000
 by: faeychild - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 04:07 UTC

On 3/6/23 15:52, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jun 2023 21:16:51 -0400, faeychild
> <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>   equipment
>> Android phone
>> PC  Mageia 8
>> kdeconnect
>> netcomm modem router NF18MESH
>>
>> While I can connect to the ISP with the android using the wireless
>> connection,  I am baffled as to how to connect to the PC
>> I suspect that the WiFi is a different network from the wan
>>
>> Any links to tutorials would be a great help
>
> With my tp-link router, for the lan, there is one address for the router
> and
> a subnet mask. Doesn't matter if I connect via ethernet or using a wireless
> connection. They are both in the same address range.
>
> The wan is only for connections that go through the isp.
>
> From experience I know that some routers allow making the other systems
> connected
> to it invisible to a wireless guest. In the netcomm, that option is called
> "Enable LAN side firewal". Make sure it's off which appears to be the
> default.
>
> Have you tried connecting to the pc using it's lan ip address?
> Make sure shorewall isn't blocking the port for the lan addresses.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Clearly the mind was frazzled after a morning of manual reading and
googling; I said Wan I meant LAN

To call my network skills vanishingly small would be high praise :-)

OK thanks Dave
I'll go there, but today