Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 20:41:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: July 16 2022 Mentifex posts [SPS} How the Mind Works in scifi subReddit
From: mentificium@gmail.com (A.T. Murray)
 by: A.T. Murray - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 03:41 UTC

#1 Comment:
https://old.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/w0ez08/sps_how_the_mind_works/igf7zl4

#2 Mentifex responds:

These "clever" models are guaranteed to think and reason in English or German or Russian or ancient Latin. The Mentifex AI Minds are an astonishing success because they implement concepts.

#3 Comment:
https://old.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/w0ez08/sps_how_the_mind_works/igg19wv

#4 Mentifex responds:

> They can't learn new ones from noisy real world data.

The NewConcept mind-module forms a new concept not "from noisy real world data" but simply from any new word used by the human user -- in English or German or Russian or Latin.

#5 Comment:
https://old.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/w0ez08/sps_how_the_mind_works/ighh3z4

#6 Mentifex responds:

NewConcept does not just append the new word to the list of words it has, but rather it Instantiates a complete new concept for the word.

> It doesn't react to my inputs at all.

The JavaScript Ghost AI in English, the Dushka AI in Russian, and the Mens Latina AI in Latin all require Internet Explorer to function properly.

#7 Comment:
https://old.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/w0ez08/sps_how_the_mind_works/igieewb

#8 Mentifex responds:

> I am sure this is a very impressive chat bot

Chat bots use canned answers and do not think at all, certainly not with NLU.

> plus basic expert system

A Mentifex AI Mind is like a human baby's mind, not an expert system.

> in like 1990 but that was thirty years ago

The first Mentifex AI program started in 1993.

> Technology has moved on quite a bit since then.

And so has the Mentifex AI technology. The Perl AI Mind dates from 2016.

The Latin AI Mind dates from 2019.

These AI Mind programs are a spectacular advance in Strong AI technology and they are a fitting subject matter for speculative science fiction.

computers / alt.folklore.computers / July 16 2022 Mentifex posts [SPS} How the Mind Works in scifi subReddit