"The geeks shall inherit the earth." -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: google spam

SubjectAuthor
* google spamJohn Larkin
+* Re: google spamRalph Fox
|+* Re: google spamJohn Larkin
||+* Re: google spamRalph Fox
|||`* Re: google spamJohn Larkin
||| `* Re: google spamRalph Fox
|||  +* Re: google spamArthur T.
|||  |+- Re: google spammicky
|||  |`* Re: google spamRalph Fox
|||  | `* Re: google spammicky
|||  |  `* Re: google spamJohn
|||  |   `- Re: google spammicky
|||  `* Re: google spamjohn larkin
|||   +- Re: google spammicky
|||   `- Re: google spamRalph Fox
||`* Re: google spammicky
|| `* Re: google spammike
||  `- Re: google spammicky
|+- Re: google spammicky
|`* Re: google spampyotr filipivich
| +* Re: google spamArthur T.
| |`- Re: google spampyotr filipivich
| `* Re: google spamGeoff
|  `- Re: google spamRalph Fox
`* Re: google spampyotr filipivich
 `* Re: google spamJohn Larkin
  +- Re: google spamPaul S Person
  +- Re: google spampyotr filipivich
  `* Re: google spamRalph Fox
   `- Re: google spamRich Ulrich

Pages:12
Re: google spam

<6lmjnitr33lmofn1t0k3juunb4f6r25dc9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5553&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5553

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: google spam
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:24:21 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:24 UTC

For reasons unknown, I can't post to a lot of groups because While I
can download the headers,, they're not in the newsgroups listing.

GOB <GOB@Idontcare.com> on Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:41:51 GMT typed in
alt.binaries.e-book.flood the following:
>Casper <casper@ghostmail.cc> wrote in
>
>> What's with all the Spam posts?
>> More each day. Today is was over 85,000.
>> Happening in more groups too.
>> Is there a way to filter the random variables?
>I use xNews as a reader and these are the lines I have in my score filter
>file and none of the spam posts are showing in my news reader. Hope this
>may help.
>GOB
> Score:: -9999
>
> Subject: ^[a-z\d]{15}
> Subject: \[.{5,5}\]
> Subject: ^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9\-\_\,]){15,20}

As we used to say "Can I get an interpretation?"

I tried copying these into Agent, but I think the {} brackets are
causing a syntax error.
If you could tell what they are supposed to be doing, that might
help. E.G the first one I got to work was:
Subject: {^[a-z\d]}
which I read as "at the beginning of line, match any alpha char a to
z, and any digit."
It works for the most part.
{I had to look up \d. and now I think I know what the {15} in the
original part was.) The second and third filters, my system tells me
the syntax is invalid.

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> on Sun, 03 Dec 2023 16:02:27 +1300 typed
in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Re: google spam

<sjimnipckriuv0b9pqcavr1osp4ntiqsgi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5570&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5570

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:18:58 -0500
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:18 UTC

In Message-ID:<6lmjnitr33lmofn1t0k3juunb4f6r25dc9@4ax.com>,
pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> Subject: ^[a-z\d]{15}
>> Subject: \[.{5,5}\]
>> Subject: ^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9\-\_\,]){15,20}
>
>As we used to say "Can I get an interpretation?"
>
>I tried copying these into Agent, but I think the {} brackets are
>causing a syntax error.

I can't tell you what they're supposed to do, but I can tell you
they're not written for Agent's implementation of Regular
Expressions.

The Expressions are Regular, but not Standard. Agent's is one of the
less full-featured variations of REs.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: google spam

<qp7pni9mtb0al9o4o10aor30m3orqavnia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5575&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5575

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:03:14 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:03 UTC

Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid> on Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:18:58 -0500
typed in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>In Message-ID:<6lmjnitr33lmofn1t0k3juunb4f6r25dc9@4ax.com>,
>pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>> Subject: ^[a-z\d]{15}
>>> Subject: \[.{5,5}\]
>>> Subject: ^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9\-\_\,]){15,20}
>>
>>As we used to say "Can I get an interpretation?"
>>
>>I tried copying these into Agent, but I think the {} brackets are
>>causing a syntax error.
>
>I can't tell you what they're supposed to do, but I can tell you
>they're not written for Agent's implementation of Regular
>Expressions.

I can't tell either. If I could figure what it is doing, I
_might_ be able to work around it.

>The Expressions are Regular, but not Standard. Agent's is one of the
>less full-featured variations of REs.

Agent can handle some RegEx, so I'm hopeful.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)

Re: google spam

<j0cpnitp5b5khl9m4hklsm57etg5n3dhc2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5580&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5580

From: geoff@invalid.invalid (Geoff)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:16:57 -0800
 by: Geoff - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:16 UTC

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:24:21 -0800, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>For reasons unknown, I can't post to a lot of groups because While I
>can download the headers,, they're not in the newsgroups listing.
>
>GOB <GOB@Idontcare.com> on Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:41:51 GMT typed in
>alt.binaries.e-book.flood the following:
>>Casper <casper@ghostmail.cc> wrote in
>>
>>> What's with all the Spam posts?
>>> More each day. Today is was over 85,000.
>>> Happening in more groups too.
>>> Is there a way to filter the random variables?
>>I use xNews as a reader and these are the lines I have in my score filter
>>file and none of the spam posts are showing in my news reader. Hope this
>>may help.
>>GOB
>> Score:: -9999
>>
>> Subject: ^[a-z\d]{15}
>> Subject: \[.{5,5}\]
>> Subject: ^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9\-\_\,]){15,20}
>
>As we used to say "Can I get an interpretation?"
>
>I tried copying these into Agent, but I think the {} brackets are
>causing a syntax error.
> If you could tell what they are supposed to be doing, that might
>help. E.G the first one I got to work was:
> Subject: {^[a-z\d]}
>which I read as "at the beginning of line, match any alpha char a to
>z, and any digit."
> It works for the most part.
> {I had to look up \d. and now I think I know what the {15} in the
>original part was.) The second and third filters, my system tells me
>the syntax is invalid.

See: https://regexr.com/ for a possible regex explainer tool.
Copy-paste your regex into the Expression field and hover your mouse
pointer over the elements to get descriptions of what the expression
element is doing.

An Agent message filter is not a regex-like filter until it is
enclosed in braces. Therefore you must write:
Subject: {^[a-z\d]{15}} in order for it to be a valid Agent regex.

The backslash '\' character is always an escape character, forcing
Agent to accept the character following the backslash as a literal
character, no substitution or interpretation is performed. So where a
special character like ^ or . is used within an Agent regex, you would
escape it first (e.g. \^ or \.).

Positional characters (^ and $) are only effective inside an Agent
regex so they must be inside braces when used.

Generally, avoid using regex in Agent except when conventional filters
can't be effective.

For example, the filter message-id: googlegroups.com should be
preferred over message-id: {googlegroups\.com} since it is faster and
does the job just as effectively as the regex version.

Re: google spam

<qeepnidbrk35hthqomcot5f1605q41sim8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5582&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5582

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:55:38 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:55 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:16:57 -0800, Geoff wrote:

> An Agent message filter is not a regex-like filter until it is
> enclosed in braces. Therefore you must write:
> Subject: {^[a-z\d]{15}} in order for it to be a valid Agent regex.

Unfortunately this particular one will still _not_ be a valid Agent
regex even when enclosed in braces. Agent does not support the {15},
nor the \d.

> The backslash '\' character is always an escape character, forcing
> Agent to accept the character following the backslash as a literal
> character, no substitution or interpretation is performed.

For the '\d' in the example in question, the backslash '\' character
is meant to mean the 'd' is *not* a literal character.

For the meaning of '\d', see the very recent post "More Info On Agent
Filtering - Perl Regular Expression Tutorial". (But note that Perl
regular expressions do not work in Agent.)

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

So many countreys so many customes.