If you analyse anything, you destroy it. -- Arthur Miller

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Testing delivery - alt...Agent

SubjectAuthor
* Testing delivery - alt...Agentpyotr filipivich
`* Re: Testing delivery - alt...AgentPaul S Person
 `* Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agentpyotr filipivich
  `* Re: Testing delivery - alt...AgentRalph Fox
   `* Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agentpyotr filipivich
    `* Question about filters was Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agentpyotr filipivich
     `* Re: Question about filters was Re: Testing delivery - alt...AgentRalph Fox
      `- Re: Question about filters was Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agentpyotr filipivich

1
Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<nemjni1m4domg8mmk8in9iq274n9fjpbqk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5552&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5552

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Testing delivery - alt...Agent
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:21:41 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:21 UTC

For reasons unknown, I can't post to a lot of groups because While I
can download the headers,, they're not in the newsgroups listing.

GOB <GOB@Idontcare.com> on Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:41:51 GMT typed in
alt.binaries.e-book.flood the following:
>Casper <casper@ghostmail.cc> wrote in
>
>> What's with all the Spam posts?
>> More each day. Today is was over 85,000.
>> Happening in more groups too.
>> Is there a way to filter the random variables?
>I use xNews as a reader and these are the lines I have in my score filter
>file and none of the spam posts are showing in my news reader. Hope this
>may help.
>GOB
> Score:: -9999
>
> Subject: ^[a-z\d]{15}
> Subject: \[.{5,5}\]
> Subject: ^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9\-\_\,]){15,20}

As we used to say "Can I get an interpretation?"

I tried copying these into Agent, but I think the {} brackets are
causing a syntax error.
If you could tell what they are supposed to be doing, that might
help. E.G the first one I got to work was:
Subject: {^[a-z\d]}
which I read as "at the beginning of line, match any alpha char a to
z, and any digit."
It works for the most part.
{I had to look up \d. and now I think I know what the {15} in the
original part was.) The second and third filters, my system tells me
the syntax is invalid.
--
pyotr filipivich
"Have the Anarchists ever stopped to consider that if they bring

Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<qrnjnilsmmeuv6rkgospepl77hrd4b70ut@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5556&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5556

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:46:36 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:46 UTC

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:21:41 -0800, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>For reasons unknown, I can't post to a lot of groups because While I
>can download the headers,, they're not in the newsgroups listing.

You've probably done this, but checking the server list to make sure
the server the group is on has "yes" in the left column might help.

But, more likely, this is entirely unrelated to your problem.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<8q3kni1to8jh3olfchg7if5j89ke3b56hn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5559&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5559

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:11:15 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:11 UTC

Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> on Wed, 13 Dec 2023
08:46:36 -0800 typed in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the
following:
>On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:21:41 -0800, pyotr filipivich
><phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>For reasons unknown, I can't post to a lot of groups because While I
>>can download the headers,, they're not in the newsgroups listing.
>
>You've probably done this, but checking the server list to make sure
>the server the group is on has "yes" in the left column might help.

I did.

And lo, they are listed. And yea, I can down load headers -
sometimes tens of thousands.

But if I attempt to post to, for example,
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent it will tell me no such group is
carried. Never mind I just down loaded headers and bodies for said
group.

>But, more likely, this is entirely unrelated to your problem.

On the third hand, it has caused me to spend less time on-line, so
I have that.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<ab7knilggn8gf24h8fv36bnj8l1g7nb740@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5561&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5561

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:09:05 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:09 UTC

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:11:15 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:

> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> on Wed, 13 Dec 2023
> 08:46:36 -0800 typed in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the
> following:
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:21:41 -0800, pyotr filipivich
>> <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For reasons unknown, I can't post to a lot of groups because While I
>>> can download the headers,, they're not in the newsgroups listing.
>>
>> You've probably done this, but checking the server list to make sure
>> the server the group is on has "yes" in the left column might help.
>
> I did.
>
> And lo, they are listed. And yea, I can down load headers -
> sometimes tens of thousands.
>
> But if I attempt to post to, for example,
> alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent it will tell me no such group is
> carried. Never mind I just down loaded headers and bodies for said
> group.

What is the _exact_ wording of that error message when posting?
Does that error message say this?

| No servers in the access plan carry newsgroup alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.

And did you check the news access plan's 'Posting Messages' tab?
(select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan >> Posting Messages.
And does the news access plan's 'Posting Messages' tab have any enabled
servers which have *both* a check-mark at the left and an asterisk at
the right?

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

“IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . . I looked back at the paper and still saw the fnords.”

Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<461lnitma9njfthpt9dprbvucomdr5qhui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5563&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5563

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:33:32 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 04:33 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> on Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:09:05 +1300 typed
in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:11:15 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>
>> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> on Wed, 13 Dec 2023
>> 08:46:36 -0800 typed in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the
>> following:

>>> You've probably done this, but checking the server list to make sure
>>> the server the group is on has "yes" in the left column might help.
>>
>> I did.
>>
>> And lo, they are listed. And yea, I can down load headers -
>> sometimes tens of thousands.
>>
>> But if I attempt to post to, for example,
>> alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent it will tell me no such group is
>> carried. Never mind I just down loaded headers and bodies for said
>> group.
>

>What is the _exact_ wording of that error message when posting?
>Does that error message say this?
>
>| No servers in the access plan carry newsgroup alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.

Yes

>And did you check the news access plan's 'Posting Messages' tab?
> (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan >> Posting Messages.

Yes.
>And does the news access plan's 'Posting Messages' tab have any enabled
>servers which have *both* a check-mark at the left and an asterisk at
>the right?

Hmm, yes
giganews
giganews 80
giganews 23 doesn't have the second asterisk
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)

Question about filters was Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<jh1lnittnr1pl4fj6efp8vjqnu28h4hk35@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5564&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5564

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Question about filters was Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:37:12 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 04:37 UTC

pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> on Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:33:32
-0800 typed in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> on Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:09:05 +1300 typed
>in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>>On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:11:15 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>
>>> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> on Wed, 13 Dec 2023
>>> 08:46:36 -0800 typed in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the
>>> following:

>>> I did.
>>>
>>> And lo, they are listed. And yea, I can down load headers -
>>> sometimes tens of thousands.
>>>
>>> But if I attempt to post to, for example,
>>> alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent it will tell me no such group is
>>> carried. Never mind I just down loaded headers and bodies for said
>>> group.
>>

>>What is the _exact_ wording of that error message when posting?
>>Does that error message say this?
>>
>>| No servers in the access plan carry newsgroup alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.
>
> Yes
>>
>>And did you check the news access plan's 'Posting Messages' tab?
>> (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan >> Posting Messages.
>
> Yes.
>>And does the news access plan's 'Posting Messages' tab have any enabled
>>servers which have *both* a check-mark at the left and an asterisk at
>>the right?
>
> Hmm, yes
> giganews
> giganews 80
> giganews 23 doesn't have the second asterisk

GOB <GOB@Idontcare.com> on Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:41:51 GMT typed in
alt.binaries.e-book.flood the following:
>I use xNews as a reader and these are the lines I have in my score filter
>file and none of the spam posts are showing in my news reader. Hope this
>may help.
>GOB
> Score:: -9999
>
> Subject: ^[a-z\d]{15}
> Subject: \[.{5,5}\]
> Subject: ^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9\-\_\,]){15,20}

[Seeing as how I cannot post to alt.binaries.e-book.flood via
giganews ("it's not carried in any servers in the access plan",
despite being able to download thousands of headers and the occasional
body from said newsgroup), I shall resort to manually cross posting.
Sigh,.]

Original response:
As we used to say "Can I get an interpretation?"

I tried copying these into Agent, but I think the {} brackets are
causing a syntax error.
If you could tell what they are supposed to be doing, that might
help. E.G the first one I can get to work as
which I read as "at the begriming of line, match any alpha char a to
z, and any digit."
IT works for the most part.
{I had to look up \d. and now I think I know what the {15} in the
original part was.) The second and third filters, my system tells me
the syntax is invalid.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)

Re: Question about filters was Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<bdclnidpj69aqktq5brk60jk9ul5fnraho@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5565&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5565

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:10:16 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:10 UTC

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:37:12 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:

> I cannot post to alt.binaries.e-book.flood via
> giganews ("it's not carried in any servers in the access plan",
> despite being able to download thousands of headers and the occasional
> body from said newsgroup)

Your settings on the Posting Messages tab of the News Access Plan
are different to your settings on the Retrieving Headers tab of
the same.

Check both
Folder >> Default Properties >> News Access Plan
and
(select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan

Brute force fix:
================
On the Posting Messages tab, remove the check-mark from
"Override the Retrieving Headers servers list".
Do this for both Default Properties _and_ Folder Properties.
Do this at Folder Properties for each and every group affected.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Seldom seen soon forgotten.

Re: Question about filters was Re: Testing delivery - alt...Agent

<ke8mnilmh3hmmr0hk42vqk6cd0htnoplb1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5566&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5566

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:45:38 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:45 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> on Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:10:16 +1300 typed
in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent the following:
>On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:37:12 -0800, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>
>> I cannot post to alt.binaries.e-book.flood via
>> giganews ("it's not carried in any servers in the access plan",
>> despite being able to download thousands of headers and the occasional
>> body from said newsgroup)

>Your settings on the Posting Messages tab of the News Access Plan
>are different to your settings on the Retrieving Headers tab of
>the same.
>
>Check both
> Folder >> Default Properties >> News Access Plan
>and
> (select folder) >> Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan

Nope, they're all ticked off, err ...

>Brute force fix:
>On the Posting Messages tab, remove the check-mark from
>"Override the Retrieving Headers servers list".
>Do this for both Default Properties _and_ Folder Properties.
>Do this at Folder Properties for each and every group affected.

For what ever reason, there are still two posts in the que which
Agent responds with "No servers in the access plan carry newsgroup
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent"

Lets see if this will post.