From: crasso@verizon.net (John B. Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Facebook no longer accepts my comments
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 13:05:32 -0400
 by: John B. Smith - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 17:05 UTC

I've been picking at this problem for about a week. I'm not much of a
Facebook guy but not being able to solve this is bugging me. I'm on XP
with Firefox 52.9 (ancient but the latest XP can handle). When I go to
answer, or comment on a friend's post it's grayed out. Tried the
Chrome browser also(from XP), same thing. Anybody got any ideas what's
going on? Left a message with FB Help, no reply of course.

Re: Facebook no longer accepts my comments

<sm1nbj$gip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=548&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#548

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Facebook no longer accepts my comments
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 18:37:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 22:37 UTC

On 11/4/2021 1:05 PM, John B. Smith wrote:
> I've been picking at this problem for about a week. I'm not much of a
> Facebook guy but not being able to solve this is bugging me. I'm on XP
> with Firefox 52.9 (ancient but the latest XP can handle). When I go to
> answer, or comment on a friend's post it's grayed out. Tried the
> Chrome browser also(from XP), same thing. Anybody got any ideas what's
> going on? Left a message with FB Help, no reply of course.

1) Try a UserAgent spoofer. Have the browser report it is
Chrome 99 or something.

Visiting sites similar to this one, you can view how well
your spoofer works.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent

"Your User Agent is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) \__ Seamonkey on Windows 7
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 / Facebook would hate me :-)
"

Note: Only a bank might be fooled by this. Any site which hires
"data scientists", they use functional testing of the browser
to determine what it is. They don't rely on the browser string for that.

2) While using Windows XP as your host, install VirtualBox 5 (the latest version
of 5.2.xx, which might be a year old or so). VirtualBox 6 is not for WinXP, so you
can't use that one as far as I know. VirtualBox 6 is partially designed for
nested Hypervisor situations (Win10 or Win11). I'm sure it has plenty of
internal modes, even ones workable with WinXP< but they may be using
simple exclusion to get rid of WinXP as a host.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_2

Then, install a Guest OS in it, whatever you want (Linux even), and get
a newer browser to run in there. This would allow, say, Chrome 99 or
something of its ilk, to run. You can even run Windows 10 inside VirtualBox,
but it is pretty slow, because of the mismatch between tasking models and
the like. Win10 on Win7 isn't bad, but Win10 on WinXP can be horrible every
Patch Tuesday.

I was using Windows XP until recently, when the Typing Machine broke
for the last time. The chipset seems to have suffered a failure,
due to an onboard regulator making the wrong voltage. This has left me
in an awful mess, with regard to Windows OSes. I might even have to
use Daz Loader (gasp!).

And the new machine hasn't been a Wonder Pony. You expect a big ratio
in performance between the old and the new, but it's like the ratio
of the CPU clock 3.9GHz to 3.0GHz times as fast. In fact one thing I
tried to do on the new machine, it was *100x* slower. So be careful what
you wish for. On a given day, Intel may not have the fastest processor,
but Microsoft goes to more trouble to make sure Intel is "given the
compatibility treatment". Depending on what you buy, AMD can be a
lot easier on the electricity.

Paul

Re: Facebook no longer accepts my comments

<KPWdnfZTqZcdGhn8nZ2dnUU7-YednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=550&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#550

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 20:23:12 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 01:23 UTC

John B. Smith <crasso@verizon.net> wrote:
> I've been picking at this problem for about a week. I'm not much of a
> Facebook guy but not being able to solve this is bugging me. I'm on XP
> with Firefox 52.9 (ancient but the latest XP can handle). When I go to
> answer, or comment on a friend's post it's grayed out. Tried the
> Chrome browser also(from XP), same thing. Anybody got any ideas what's
> going on? Left a message with FB Help, no reply of course.

SeaMonkey as well. It's probably they don't support our old softwares. :(
--
Dang crazy life! :/
| |o o| |

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Facebook no longer accepts my comments