<Tazman> damn my office is cold. <Tazman> need a hot secretary to warm it up. -- Seen on #Linux

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Agent 6 Window Display

SubjectAuthor
* Agent 6 Window DisplayKen Blake
+* Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayBorkedBorg
|`* Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayKen Blake
| +* Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayArthur T.
| |+- Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayNobody
| |`- Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayPaul S Person
| `- Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayPaul S Person
+- Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayPaul S Person
`- Re: Agent 6 Window DisplayRalph Fox

1
Agent 6 Window Display

<cup3ni96nk32b7ih7p3gjqol08t4pvn3n9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5489&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5489

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent 6 Window Display
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:52:19 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 15:52 UTC

I'm using Agent 6.0 only for newsgroups under the latest version of
Windows 11 Professional.

If I've had this problem before and asked about it here, my aged (86)
brain doesn't remember.

The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
and there's a tab for each to select from.

I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
nothing.

I restarted Agent. Didn't help.

I restarted Windows. Didn't help.

Can someone here help my old addled brain and tell me what went wrong
and how to fix it? Thanks very much.

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<dfr3nid8mql8hr9ajq2e8lp889ukig8vhc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5490&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5490

From: BorkedBorg@13of9.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Agent 6 Window Display
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:08:45 -0800
 by: BorkedBorg@13of9.com - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 16:08 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:52:19 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>I'm using Agent 6.0 only for newsgroups under the latest version of
>Windows 11 Professional.
>
>If I've had this problem before and asked about it here, my aged (86)
>brain doesn't remember.
>
>The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
>this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
>folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
>messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
>and there's a tab for each to select from.
>
>I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
>like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
>nothing.
>
>I restarted Agent. Didn't help.
>
>I restarted Windows. Didn't help.
>
>Can someone here help my old addled brain and tell me what went wrong
>and how to fix it? Thanks very much.

Try hitting Z (zoom)

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<bhr3nilusipluqh07b56o9765l0uchh197@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5491&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5491

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:22:21 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 16:22 UTC

wrote:

>I'm using Agent 6.0 only for newsgroups under the latest version of
>Windows 11 Professional.
>
>If I've had this problem before and asked about it here, my aged (86)
>brain doesn't remember.
>
>The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
>this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
>folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
>messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
>and there's a tab for each to select from.
>
>I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
>like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
>nothing.
>
>I restarted Agent. Didn't help.
>
>I restarted Windows. Didn't help.
>
>Can someone here help my old addled brain and tell me what went wrong
>and how to fix it? Thanks very much.

In Agent 8, there would be a "double window" icon on the extreme
right.

If it is there on Agent 6, click on it.

IIRC, this is a characteristic of MDI
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-document_interface>.

Alternately, in Agent 8, pressing "Z" will do the same thing.

Perhaps this will work in Agent 6 as well.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<0n64nihvn3l1fbe403tqgua7forphtc2hj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5492&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5492

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 12:21:31 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 19:21 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:08:45 -0800, BorkedBorg@13of9.com wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:52:19 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm using Agent 6.0 only for newsgroups under the latest version of
>>Windows 11 Professional.
>>
>>If I've had this problem before and asked about it here, my aged (86)
>>brain doesn't remember.
>>
>>The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
>>this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
>>folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
>>messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
>>and there's a tab for each to select from.
>>
>>I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
>>like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
>>nothing.
>>
>>I restarted Agent. Didn't help.
>>
>>I restarted Windows. Didn't help.
>>
>>Can someone here help my old addled brain and tell me what went wrong
>>and how to fix it? Thanks very much.
>
>Try hitting Z (zoom)

Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
hit it by accident.

It's certainly not intuitive.

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<vop4ni95af1k059haj3jmd9iskummuf044@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5497&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5497

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 20:20:56 -0500
 by: Arthur T. - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 01:20 UTC

In Message-ID:<0n64nihvn3l1fbe403tqgua7forphtc2hj@4ax.com>,
Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>Try hitting Z (zoom)
>

>Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
>hit it by accident.
>
>It's certainly not intuitive.

What's just as non-intuitive to me is that (under 1.93), the GUI way
to do it is under Navigation, rather than Options-->Display or
Window.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<0n15ni50ru85rnf36ikcee6e43f0o8b8g1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5498&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5498

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 19:03:36 -0800
 by: Nobody - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 03:03 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 20:20:56 -0500, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>In Message-ID:<0n64nihvn3l1fbe403tqgua7forphtc2hj@4ax.com>,
>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>>Try hitting Z (zoom)
>>

>>Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
>>hit it by accident.
>>
>>It's certainly not intuitive.
>
>What's just as non-intuitive to me is that (under 1.93), the GUI way
>to do it is under Navigation, rather than Options-->Display or
>Window.

Yikes. Forte Agent is abandonware at v8.0... and you're grumbling
about the UI back with v1.93?

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<i365nihv4sugc33tte22soc3g1ihf163dt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5500&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5500

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 17:26:36 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 04:26 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:52:19 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
> this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
> folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
> messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
> and there's a tab for each to select from.
>
> I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
> like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
> nothing.

This one is at View >> Zoom on the menu bar.

* The View menu is for quick on/off toggles. In this case, so you
can toggle one pane to full-screen to see more, and then toggle
back again to the 3-pane view.

* The Window >> Window Layout menu is for something you set once
and do not change often.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

The moon's not seen where the sun shines.

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<n1h6nihd1kenqsc03n9uafnpkhurumuvi4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5503&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5503

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 08:33:01 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 16:33 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 12:21:31 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:08:45 -0800, BorkedBorg@13of9.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 08:52:19 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm using Agent 6.0 only for newsgroups under the latest version of
>>>Windows 11 Professional.
>>>
>>>If I've had this problem before and asked about it here, my aged (86)
>>>brain doesn't remember.
>>>
>>>The computer and Agent were running overnight. When I went to Agent
>>>this morning, my newsgroup layout was different. I used to have
>>>folders on the left and on the right I had the message list on top and
>>>messages on the bottom. Now I can see only one of those three at once
>>>and there's a tab for each to select from.
>>>
>>>I went to Window/Window Layout on the Menu Bar and saw what looked
>>>like how to change it back. But making any choices there changed
>>>nothing.
>>>
>>>I restarted Agent. Didn't help.
>>>
>>>I restarted Windows. Didn't help.
>>>
>>>Can someone here help my old addled brain and tell me what went wrong
>>>and how to fix it? Thanks very much.
>>
>>Try hitting Z (zoom)
>

>Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
>hit it by accident.
>
>It's certainly not intuitive.

I once got very annoyed because setting Agent 8 to display HTML did
not (appear to) work.

It turned out that setting the option wasn't enough -- you also had to
hit (IIRC) '\' to actually change the way the message was displayed.

And, of course, the message had to have an HTML section as well. Many
don't. And, to be honest, many that do work better for me with the
non-HTML version in use.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: Agent 6 Window Display

<7ah6ni54o2jt1bd3iamot63emc9k8hsmqh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5504&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5504

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 08:38:18 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 16:38 UTC

wrote:

>In Message-ID:<0n64nihvn3l1fbe403tqgua7forphtc2hj@4ax.com>,
>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>>>Try hitting Z (zoom)
>>

>>Thanks very much to both you and Paul. Yes, that works. I must have
>>hit it by accident.
>>
>>It's certainly not intuitive.
>
>What's just as non-intuitive to me is that (under 1.93), the GUI way
>to do it is under Navigation, rather than Options-->Display or
>Window.

It's been so long I can't remember the version involved, but I do
remember that, when Free Agent and Agent were separate programs (as
opposed to Free Agent simply being Agent without a registration key),
the menus were quite different. When I purchased Agent it took a while
to adapt.

My records suggest I started Agent with 2.0, but Free Agent might have
been 1.93.