From: helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: natbib: cite all authors automatically but only on first citation
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:56:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:56 UTC

Assume BibTex.

Some journals want all three authors cited in the first citation and
thereafter "et al." (as always for more than three; for less than three,
all are always cited).

There is a journal which requires that but their own style files don't
implement it. Is there a way to do it automatically?

My system of keys indicates whether it is 1, 2, 3, or more authors, so I
know that when writing the text. I could remember to use \cite* the
first time, but suppose I later add another citation before that.

I can list all the citation commands, spot those with three authors, and
make sure that \cite* is used the first time, but there has to be a
better way.

Re: natbib: cite all authors automatically but only on first citation

<jrnfueFs9spU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5527&group=comp.text.tex#5527

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:49:17 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:49 UTC

On 13/10/2022 17:56, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> Assume BibTex.
>
> Some journals want all three authors cited in the first citation and
> thereafter "et al." (as always for more than three; for less than three,
> all are always cited).
>
> There is a journal which requires that but their own style files don't
> implement it. Is there a way to do it automatically?

Not as far as I know. If their style files implement it the wrong way,
there isn't really any way to override that apart from editing their
style file and fixing the bug. Or of course asking them :-)

> My system of keys indicates whether it is 1, 2, 3, or more authors, so I
> know that when writing the text. I could remember to use \cite* the
> first time, but suppose I later add another citation before that.
>
> I can list all the citation commands, spot those with three authors, and
> make sure that \cite* is used the first time, but there has to be a
> better way.

1. Getting them to fix it.
2. Fixing it yourself in their code.
3. Finding out what concrete style theirs is based on and writing your
own take on their style (easier in biblatex than in bibtex, I guess)
4. Asking other authors what they did?

Strange that they would require that format but deliberately NOT provide it.

Peter

Re: natbib: cite all authors automatically but only on first citation

<1msgztagl5dj7.dlg@nililand.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5557&group=comp.text.tex#5557

From: news3@nililand.de (Ulrike Fischer)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 10:47:45 +0100
 by: Ulrike Fischer - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 09:47 UTC

Am Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:49:17 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:

>> Some journals want all three authors cited in the first citation and
>> thereafter "et al." (as always for more than three; for less than three,
>> all are always cited).
>>
>> There is a journal which requires that but their own style files don't
>> implement it. Is there a way to do it automatically?
>
> Not as far as I know. If their style files implement it the wrong way,
> there isn't really any way to override that apart from editing their
> style file and fixing the bug. Or of course asking them :-)

Well as Phillip claims that the combination of \cite*/\cite works, I
wouldn't take his claim that the style doesn't support this too
seriously.

But as he again thought that a minimal example is something he
doesn't have to bother with there is no way to check if he is
actually using the right options.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/