Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Missing packages
From: gwbennett997@gmail.com (Greg Bennett)
 by: Greg Bennett - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 23:06 UTC

I am setting up a new laptop running linux mint 21 (based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS). After installing texlive2022 following the steps for a full install, and
then having installed TeXStudio 4.2.1, I decided to try to compile a large
project, only to receive a blizzard of missing package messages.

I read /usr/share/doc/texlive-base/README.tlmgr-on-Debian.md in the hope
of figuring out how to use tlmgr to install eg.pxfonts. That document seems
to discourage the use of tlmgr but does include:

If you want the full power of TeX Live Manager, we recommend installing
TeX Live from upstream https://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html

which is what I thought I had done!

Running sudo tlmgr install pxfonts
still throws up warnings about using tlmgr on Debian.

I'm looking for help on how to add things to my current install, a thing I
have not had to do with previous texlives.

Thanks for advice/pointers to let me move forward.

Greg Bennett

Re: Missing packages

<ti8o8t$6r0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5479&group=comp.text.tex#5479

From: eduardo@kalinowski.com.br (Eduardo M KALINOWSKI)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Missing packages
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 07:11:40 -0300
 by: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 10:11 UTC

On 12/10/2022 20:06, Greg Bennett wrote:
> I am setting up a new laptop running linux mint 21 (based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS). After installing texlive2022 following the steps for a full install,

How did you do that, exactly? The description below suggests you
installed the distribution packages (something like 'apt-get install
texlive-latex-base')

> and
> then having installed TeXStudio 4.2.1, I decided to try to compile a large
> project, only to receive a blizzard of missing package messages.
>
> I read /usr/share/doc/texlive-base/README.tlmgr-on-Debian.md in the hope
> of figuring out how to use tlmgr to install eg.pxfonts. That document seems
> to discourage the use of tlmgr but does include:
>
> If you want the full power of TeX Live Manager, we recommend installing
> TeX Live from upstream https://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html
>
> which is what I thought I had done!

You might have both, and the distribution one is being used first
because it's earlier on the search path. I don't know where the texlive
installer puts its binaries by default, but see if you have a
/usr/local/bin/tlmgr.

The question is then how did you get the distribution one. It's unlikely
to be part of the default OS install.

If you have both, you should be able to purge all texlive-* packages
from the distribution and use the upstream one.

> Running sudo tlmgr install pxfonts
> still throws up warnings about using tlmgr on Debian.
>
> I'm looking for help on how to add things to my current install, a thing I
> have not had to do with previous texlives.

Or it might be simpler to use texlive packaged in your distribution. On
debian, pxfonts is in package 'texlive-fonts-recommended'. I imagine
it's the same on mint.

The apt-file utility can tell you which package included a given file
(that's how I found that out).

Re: Missing packages

<ti94ps$1q7pn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5480&group=comp.text.tex#5480

From: rdtennent@tennent.ca (Bob Tennent)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:45:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bob Tennent - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:45 UTC

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:06:46 -0700 (PDT), Greg Bennett wrote:

> Running sudo tlmgr install pxfonts
> still throws up warnings about using tlmgr on Debian.

You're evidently referencing a distribution "tlmgr".
Try

/usr/local/bin/tlmgr conf

and if that works you might need to do

sudo /usr/local/bin/tlmgr path add

to add symlinks for executables etc.

For simple documentation for tlmgr, do

texdoc tlmgr

or if necessary

/usr/local/bin/texdoc tlmgr

Bob T.

Re: Missing packages

<jqrac5FgcilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5486&group=comp.text.tex#5486

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 21:22:28 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 20:22 UTC

On 13/10/2022 11:11, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On 12/10/2022 20:06, Greg Bennett wrote:
>> I am setting up a new laptop running linux mint 21 (based on Ubuntu
>> 22.04 LTS). After installing texlive2022 following the steps for a
>> full install,
>
> How did you do that, exactly? The description below suggests you
> installed the distribution packages (something like 'apt-get install
> texlive-latex-base')

The OP's original is missing from my provider, so I haven't seen a
reply, but I usually suggest to user that

sudo apt install texlive-full biber texstudio jabref kile qpdfview

will get you pretty much everything you need, assuming you are on a
reasonably modern machine with plenty of disk space.

Peter