As of next Thursday, UNIX will be flushed in favor of TOPS-10. Please update your programs.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

SubjectAuthor
* Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)Jesus Quintana
+* Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)Ralph Fox
|+- Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)Jesus Quintana
|`* Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)IBM User
| `- Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)Ralph Fox
+* Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)IBM User
|`* Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)John
| +* Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)IBM User
| |`- Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)John
| `- Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)Phoenix
`- Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1) [OT]s|b

1
Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<7bvrmit6av3mto3dei6kg3vvnidchqt241@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5471&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5471

From: jq@myplace.org (Jesus Quintana)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700
 by: Jesus Quintana - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:31 UTC

Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
lines like the attached.

Or another way if it exists.

In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.

Thanks

www.avg.com

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<gr9smi11sttk42fcfn16i9gvubpc6ejg6t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5474&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5474

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 08:24:35 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:24 UTC

On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana wrote:

> Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
> lines like the attached.

I do not receive binaries in text newsgroups like this.
If you want to post a picture, upload it to some place like
<http://www.imagetitan.com/> or <https://imgur.com/>
and post a link here.

> Or another way if it exists.
>
> In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
> author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.
>
> Thanks

See the filtering section in the help file for how to filter on number
of lines

Help >> Index >> Filters, Message Filters >> Agent's Expression Language >> Other Operators

But be warned. Many legitimate headers will appear to have zero lines,
simply because the news server has not put the actual number of lines
in the headers that are sent to Agent. It is your problem, not mine,
if your filter makes you lose legitimate posts this way.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

A lean agreement is better then a fat sentence.

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<t2jumiptsrvodc1lpuqvadut8ii4sao3tu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5482&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5482

From: jq@myplace.org (Jesus Quintana)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 09:14:47 -0700
 by: Jesus Quintana - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 16:14 UTC

On Tue, 05 Dec 2023 08:24:35 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana wrote:
>
>> Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
>> lines like the attached.
>
>I do not receive binaries in text newsgroups like this.
>
>If you want to post a picture, upload it to some place like
><http://www.imagetitan.com/> or <https://imgur.com/>
>and post a link here.
>

>> Or another way if it exists.
>>
>> In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
>> author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.
>>
>> Thanks

>See the filtering section in the help file for how to filter on number
>of lines
>
> Help >> Index >> Filters, Message Filters >> Agent's Expression Language >> Other Operators
>
>But be warned. Many legitimate headers will appear to have zero lines,
>simply because the news server has not put the actual number of lines
>in the headers that are sent to Agent. It is your problem, not mine,
>if your filter makes you lose legitimate posts this way.
>

>--
>Kind regards
>Ralph Fox
>?
>
>A lean agreement is better then a fat sentence.

In the future, will do on the pic post. Thanks Ralph

www.avg.com

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<0rj4ni9h7k3ctljupfno2mf1v8k9osbn62@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5494&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5494

From: noemail@forteinc.com (IBM User)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 17:07:54 -0600
 by: IBM User - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:07 UTC

On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana <jq@myplace.org>
wrote:

>Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
>lines like the attached.
>
>Or another way if it exists.
>
>In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
>author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.
>

>Thanks

Yes, use {0,0] to filter the junk.

But that won't get everything.

Also use {^\{}

Neither needs to be preceeded by Subject: or Author:

They may get some things you would otherwise want, but more than
likely not, and not very much.

Test them by marking the entire group unread, then filter and choose
Mark Read instead of Delete, and you'll get a feel for how they work
for you.

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<63k4nilfctk9d9mqdbo0v26i9kt28fdlt1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5495&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5495

From: noemail@forteinc.com (IBM User)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 17:09:04 -0600
 by: IBM User - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 23:09 UTC

wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana wrote:
>
>> Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
>> lines like the attached.
>
>I do not receive binaries in text newsgroups like this.
>
>If you want to post a picture, upload it to some place like
><http://www.imagetitan.com/> or <https://imgur.com/>
>and post a link here.
>

>> Or another way if it exists.
>>
>> In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
>> author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.
>>
>> Thanks

>See the filtering section in the help file for how to filter on number
>of lines
>
> Help >> Index >> Filters, Message Filters >> Agent's Expression Language >> Other Operators
>
>But be warned. Many legitimate headers will appear to have zero lines,

Not very many. I have never seen a zero line post that was legit.

>simply because the news server has not put the actual number of lines
>in the headers that are sent to Agent. It is your problem, not mine,
>if your filter makes you lose legitimate posts this way.

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<auo4nidt3rdaptff42qk9d6jj6aqfpqove@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5496&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5496

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 00:37:43 +0000
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 00:37 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 17:07:54 -0600, IBM User <noemail@forteinc.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana <jq@myplace.org>
>wrote:
>
>>Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
>>lines like the attached.
>>
>>Or another way if it exists.
>>
>>In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
>>author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.
>>

>>Thanks
>
>Yes, use {0,0] to filter the junk.

That last ] should be a } or Agent weeps tears of "missing last }"
type warning.

>But that won't get everything.
>
>Also use {^\{}

This one needs a second "}" curly to top it off or Agent will sulk.

>Neither needs to be preceeded by Subject: or Author:
>
>They may get some things you would otherwise want, but more than
>likely not, and not very much.
>
>Test them by marking the entire group unread, then filter and choose
>Mark Read instead of Delete, and you'll get a feel for how they work
>for you.

Other than the typographical oopsies, those seem to work fine in
Agent 4-ish.

Also, that last bit is *good* advice. Always test things in ways that
do revocable things.

Sometimes it ain't easy to fix the irrevocable. :)

Thank you, IBM, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas.

J.

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<t845nip6c6gm2musm1327oarju7soet3vi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5499&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5499

From: noemail@forteinc.com (IBM User)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 21:53:07 -0600
 by: IBM User - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 03:53 UTC

On Fri, 08 Dec 2023 00:37:43 +0000, John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 17:07:54 -0600, IBM User <noemail@forteinc.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana <jq@myplace.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
>>>lines like the attached.
>>>
>>>Or another way if it exists.
>>>
>>>In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
>>>author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.
>>>

>>>Thanks
>>
>>Yes, use {0,0] to filter the junk.
>
> That last ] should be a } or Agent weeps tears of "missing last }"
>type warning.

Actually the { at the beginning should be a [. Dunno how I did that,
as I was copying and pasting, but it should be [0,0].

>>But that won't get everything.
>>
>>Also use {^\{}
>
> This one needs a second "}" curly to top it off or Agent will sulk.

No, actually, that one is fine.

>>Neither needs to be preceeded by Subject: or Author:
>>
>>They may get some things you would otherwise want, but more than
>>likely not, and not very much.
>>
>>Test them by marking the entire group unread, then filter and choose
>>Mark Read instead of Delete, and you'll get a feel for how they work
>>for you.
>
> Other than the typographical oopsies, those seem to work fine in
>Agent 4-ish.
>
> Also, that last bit is *good* advice. Always test things in ways that
>do revocable things.
>
> Sometimes it ain't easy to fix the irrevocable. :)
>
> Thank you, IBM, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas.
>
> J.

And to you as well!

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<t4a5nip1bp0jo1q517hqhsu1alqvo15poc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5501&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5501

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 18:34:56 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 05:34 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 17:09:04 -0600, IBM User wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2023 08:24:35 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for a way to filter by number of lines to kill posts with zero
>>> lines like the attached.
>>

>> See the filtering section in the help file for how to filter on number
>> of lines
>>
>> Help >> Index >> Filters, Message Filters >> Agent's Expression Language >> Other Operators
>>
>> But be warned. Many legitimate headers will appear to have zero lines,
>
> Not very many. I have never seen a zero line post that was legit.

Hello, new poster "IBM User".

John's post in this thread showed 0 lines here before the body is
downloaded.

screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=27_63k4ni__legit-post-showing-0-lines.png>

For filtering, what is important is the number of lines showing *before*
the body is downloaded. Filtering happens before the body is downloaded.

That is one of four posters in this thread showing 0 lines here at the
time filtering happens. IMO one cannot call that "not very many", and
certainly one cannot call it "never".

Agent will update/correct the number of lines when it downloads the body,
but that happens too late for filtering.

>> simply because the news server has not put the actual number of lines
>> in the headers that are sent to Agent. It is your problem, not mine,
>> if your filter makes you lose legitimate posts this way.

When filtering happens, the body has not yet been downloaded and
Agent does not yet know the actual number of lines in the message.
Agent has to rely on whatever number the server has put in the
headers. Sometimes the actual number of lines is not put in the
headers.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Nothing most be done hastily but killing of fleas.

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<1i26nih739ibg3gpvmk34b4hkb7inaem2j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5502&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5502

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 12:27:36 +0000
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 12:27 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 21:53:07 -0600, IBM User <noemail@forteinc.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Dec 2023 00:37:43 +0000, John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 17:07:54 -0600, IBM User <noemail@forteinc.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Yes, use {0,0] to filter the junk.
>>
>> That last ] should be a } or Agent weeps tears of "missing last }"
>>type warning.
>>

>Actually the { at the beginning should be a [. Dunno how I did that,
>as I was copying and pasting, but it should be [0,0].

Really? Okay, thank you.

However, my Agent 4 *did* complain a bit about the unbalanced
curlies. As one would expect. Unbalanced curlies are naughty.

>>>But that won't get everything.
>>>
>>>Also use {^\{}
>>
>> This one needs a second "}" curly to top it off or Agent will sulk.
>>

>No, actually, that one is fine.

Oh?

So the last close-curly is *not* connected to the second open-curly,
it is closing the first one and the second one is escaped? That's so
cool.

Thanks.

But what does my version do? The one with four curlies? Anything?
Agent didn't complain about it.

>>>Neither needs to be preceeded by Subject: or Author:
>>>
>>>They may get some things you would otherwise want, but more than
>>>likely not, and not very much.
>>>
>>>Test them by marking the entire group unread, then filter and choose
>>>Mark Read instead of Delete, and you'll get a feel for how they work
>>>for you.
>>
>> Other than the typographical oopsies, those seem to work fine in
>>Agent 4-ish.
>>
>> Also, that last bit is *good* advice. Always test things in ways that
>>do revocable things.
>>
>> Sometimes it ain't easy to fix the irrevocable. :)
>>
>> Thank you, IBM, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas.
>>
>> J.
>
>And to you as well!

Thank you. And best wishes to everyone.

J.

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1) [OT]

<kthg34Fm5o2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5505&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5505

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1) [OT]
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 22:28:08 +0100
 by: s|b - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 21:28 UTC

On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 09:31:46 -0700, Jesus Quintana wrote:

> In the example, the author is the same for this small sampling but the
> author varies so not a good candidate for the killfilter.

This is a non-binary newsgroup. Most newsservers won't even show your
attachment.

> --
> www.avg.com

Please disable this spam.

--
s|b

Re: Can you filter by number of lines? - zero lines.PNG (0/1)

<ul21ro$2ibtv$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5506&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5506

From: phoenix@gmall.invalid (Phoenix)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 15:41:44 +0000
 by: Phoenix - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 15:41 UTC

John wrote:

>Sometimes it ain't easy to fix the irrevocable. :)

For those deleted articles, you can get them from the server again.
Online > Sample by number or by days (days is typically slower than by
number).