I find you lack of faith in the forth dithturbing. -- Darse ("Darth") Vader

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

SubjectAuthor
* Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6micky
+- Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6Nobody
+* Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6Ralph Fox
|`* Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6micky
| `* Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6Geoff
|  `- Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6Ralph Fox
`* Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6Ralph Fox
 `- Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6micky

1
Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<gmnkmidkpvtskirbt7uoe6nhia91j9m9im@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5449&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5449

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:21:50 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 02:21 UTC

Two interesting things:
A) I found out what I didnt' like about version 6 compared to prior
versions. Is there any way to make a Reply tab appear just to the
right of the post being replied to, instead of at the far right end of
the row of tabs?

B) I was trying to use Help/F1 and I crashed version 6!

B first. It asked me to send a report but I figured they're not going to
repair version 6 anyhow, so there is no point in sending the report. Is
that so? Even though it closed every tab but one, including posts I
was working on. Of course I had saved the most recent version.

A During testing a few years ago what I didn't like is that if I reply
to a post, and while writing the reply I want to look at other posts in
the thread, in the same newsgroup, Alt-Tab would take me to the original
ng. But in version 6, alt-tab takes me one tab to the left of the
Reply tab, and that tab will likely have nothing to do with it. Is
there any way to make alt-tab go back ot the previously used tab, or
better yet, to make a reply open just to the right of the post it is in
reply to?

It's still worth using ver 6 because from session to session, it
remembers all my open ngs and posts

Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<8g5lmi1vutk06vr8s7gabe6teu8qefh89u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5450&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5450

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 18:28:21 -0800
 by: Nobody - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 02:28 UTC

On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:21:50 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Two interesting things:
>
>A) I found out what I didnt' like about version 6 compared to prior
>versions. Is there any way to make a Reply tab appear just to the
>right of the post being replied to, instead of at the far right end of
>the row of tabs?
>
>B) I was trying to use Help/F1 and I crashed version 6!
>
>B first. It asked me to send a report but I figured they're not going to
>repair version 6 anyhow, so there is no point in sending the report. Is
>that so? Even though it closed every tab but one, including posts I
>was working on. Of course I had saved the most recent version.
>
>A During testing a few years ago what I didn't like is that if I reply
>to a post, and while writing the reply I want to look at other posts in
>the thread, in the same newsgroup, Alt-Tab would take me to the original
>ng. But in version 6, alt-tab takes me one tab to the left of the
>Reply tab, and that tab will likely have nothing to do with it. Is
>there any way to make alt-tab go back ot the previously used tab, or
>better yet, to make a reply open just to the right of the post it is in
>reply to?
>

>It's still worth using ver 6 because from session to session, it
>remembers all my open ngs and posts

I hafta ask.

Does anything you use work?

Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<ih8lmidtu5m36mc6ljlvqv13e0sj6rvngf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5452&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5452

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:22:19 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 03:22 UTC

On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:21:50 -0500, micky wrote:

> Subject: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

> A) I found out what I didnt' like about version 6 compared to prior
> versions. Is there any way to make a Reply tab appear just to the
> right of the post being replied to, instead of at the far right end of
> the row of tabs?

A) No, and there never was. The "compared to prior versions" must have
been a senior moment.

* The same thing happens in version 5. In version 5 the reply tab
also appears at the far right.

* In version 4.2 and earlier, there are no tabs.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

An old sack asketh much patching.

Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<qv8lmilau1md509l1o5329mirblo8fci47@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5453&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5453

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 22:32:14 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 03:32 UTC

In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:22:19
+1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:21:50 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> Subject: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6
>
>> A) I found out what I didnt' like about version 6 compared to prior
>> versions. Is there any way to make a Reply tab appear just to the
>> right of the post being replied to, instead of at the far right end of
>> the row of tabs?
>

>A) No, and there never was. The "compared to prior versions" must have
>been a senior moment.
>
> * The same thing happens in version 5. In version 5 the reply tab
> also appears at the far right.
>
> * In version 4.2 and earlier, there are no tabs.

That's true, there were no tabs, but one instance of alt-tab or maybe
shift-alt-tab would take you back to the window you just left, which (if
you hadn't done anything in between) was the post which you were
replying to. From there you could look at the whole thread. That's
what I was thinking of.

Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<ol9lmi552ubmksd2et3h8tbf0fnk9a8ea9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5454&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5454

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:39:10 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 03:39 UTC

On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:21:50 -0500, micky wrote:

> B) I was trying to use Help/F1 and I crashed version 6!
>
> B first. It asked me to send a report but I figured they're not going to
> repair version 6 anyhow, so there is no point in sending the report. Is
> that so?

B) You would get an automatic reply saying, amongst other things, this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The report indicates that you are running an older version of Agent
(or an older build of the current version).

The latest Agent, version 8.0 build 1272, fixes a number of problems
and introduces new features.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

New lords new laws.

Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<pudlmi92s3nkj9afo7b8n1njhkgnv4a3ap@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5455&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5455

From: geoff@invalid.invalid (Geoff)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 20:54:01 -0800
 by: Geoff - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 04:54 UTC

On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 22:32:14 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:22:19
>+1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:21:50 -0500, micky wrote:
>>
>>> Subject: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6
>>
>>> A) I found out what I didnt' like about version 6 compared to prior
>>> versions. Is there any way to make a Reply tab appear just to the
>>> right of the post being replied to, instead of at the far right end of
>>> the row of tabs?
>>

>>A) No, and there never was. The "compared to prior versions" must have
>>been a senior moment.
>>
>> * The same thing happens in version 5. In version 5 the reply tab
>> also appears at the far right.
>>
>> * In version 4.2 and earlier, there are no tabs.
>
>That's true, there were no tabs, but one instance of alt-tab or maybe
>shift-alt-tab would take you back to the window you just left, which (if
>you hadn't done anything in between) was the post which you were
>replying to. From there you could look at the whole thread. That's
>what I was thinking of.

Tab progresses through the panes in Agent. Shift-Tab progresses in
reverse of that. Alt-Tab is the Windows hotkey for changing from one
window to another and Shift-Alt-Tab reverses that direction.

Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<30llmitkamkp3tsm29p9ke0eavp1m9bdj4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5456&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5456

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 19:52:17 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 06:52 UTC

On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 20:54:01 -0800, Geoff wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 22:32:14 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That's true, there were no tabs, but one instance of alt-tab or maybe
>> shift-alt-tab would take you back to the window you just left, which (if
>> you hadn't done anything in between) was the post which you were
>> replying to. From there you could look at the whole thread. That's
>> what I was thinking of.

You must not be using it regularly when you don't have the key combo right. :-/

> Tab progresses through the panes in Agent. Shift-Tab progresses in
> reverse of that. Alt-Tab is the Windows hotkey for changing from one
> window to another and Shift-Alt-Tab reverses that direction.

1. The key combos to go from one Agent _window_ to another are
Control-Tab and Shift-Control-Tab. (F6 and Shift-F6 also work.)

Alt-Tab and Shift-Alt-Tab will take you away from Agent to another
program on the Windows taskbar.

Tab and Shift-Tab will take you from one Agent browser pane to
another, but not from one Agent _window_ to another (i.e., not
such as between an Agent compose window and an Agent browser
window).

2. In Agent 4.2 and earlier (which had no tabs), Control-Tab and
Shift-Control-Tab would take you through Agent's MDI child windows
in Z-order (downwards or upwards).

You cannot see the Z-order when the MDI child windows are
maximized inside Agent . To see the Z-order, use the Agent menu
"Window >> Cascade". Then you will see the Z-order as the order
in which the windows are stacked on top of each other.

When you replied to a message in Agent 4.2 and earlier...
* The compose window would be top in the Z-order;
* The window you just left would be second-to-top in the Z-order;
* Control-Tab would take you to the window second-to-top in
Z-order, the window you just left showing the original message.

3. In Agent 5.0 and later (which have tabs), Control-Tab and
Shift-Control-Tab will take you through Agent's MDI child windows
in tab order (forwards or backwards).

You can see the tab-order even when the MDI child windows
are maximized inside Agent (provided you have a check-mark in
"Show Window Tabs" at Tools >> Options >> Display >> Main Window).

When you reply to a message in Agent 5.0 and later...
* The compose window would be last (right-most) in tab order;
* The window you just left could be anywhere in tab order;
* Control-Tab will take you from the last tab to the first tab.
* Shift-Control-Tab will take you from the last tab to the
second-to-last tab.
* It is possible that neither of these two is the window you
just left, which would show the original message.
* To go directly to the window you just left via a key combo,
โ€”ยป use Control-1 to go to the first tab
โ€”ยป use Control-2 to go to the second tab
โ€”ยป use Control-3 to go to the third tab
โ€”ยป ... etc...
or use the computer rodent (one of its many uses).

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

๐Ÿ–ฐ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ–ฐ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ–ฐ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ–ฐ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ–ฐ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ–ฐ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ–ฐ

Re: Order of tabs from left to right etc. ver 6

<biemmi1lp0cdqndrtm9qjiqbi66rf41760@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5458&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5458

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 09:10:03 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:10 UTC

In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:39:10
+1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 21:21:50 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> B) I was trying to use Help/F1 and I crashed version 6!
>>
>> B first. It asked me to send a report but I figured they're not going to
>> repair version 6 anyhow, so there is no point in sending the report. Is
>> that so?
>
>B) You would get an automatic reply saying, amongst other things, this:

> The report indicates that you are running an older version of Agent
> (or an older build of the current version).
>
> The latest Agent, version 8.0 build 1272, fixes a number of problems
> and introduces new features.

An answer like that makes sense. So I saved a millimicrowatt of
electricity and my energy by not even trying.