Chemist who falls in acid will be tripping for weeks.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / EasiWriter: Spell Check

SubjectAuthor
* EasiWriter: Spell CheckChris Dale
+* Re: EasiWriter: Spell CheckMartin Wuerthner
|`- Re: EasiWriter: Spell CheckChris Dale
`- Re: EasiWriter: Spell CheckRussell Hafter News

1
EasiWriter: Spell Check

<d8c8092d59.acdale@chris.acdale.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=543&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#543

Subject: EasiWriter: Spell Check
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: chris@acdale.plus.com (Chris Dale)
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 15:17:33 +0100
 by: Chris Dale - Sat, 15 May 2021 14:17 UTC

Hi,
I have EasiWriter V9.12 running on my Titanium with RO5.28
For a long time I haven't been unable to spell check various documents. If
I select 'Spelling' then 'Check All' I get '0 words checked' and 'xxx
(total number of words) words marked to be ignored'. If I open a new
document and type in some words, they can be spell checked, no problem. If
I copy and paste the text from a problem document onto a new document, I
get the same problem of all the words marked to be ignored.

I had advice about the same problem 5 years ago and the problem seemed to
be that the country was set to 'None'. I created a new stationery file
called 'UK' with the country set to UK. I don't know what has happened but
with that 'UK' stationery selected I get the same problem. Having written
my 7000+ word document I want to spell check it. If I look at Menu 'Text'
> 'Country' it shows 'None' If I change 'Country' to 'UK' that setting
seems to be ignored and if I save the document the 'Country' setting has
changed back to 'None'.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Chris Dale

Re: EasiWriter: Spell Check

<mpro.qt9072001bl3507d4.spamtrap@mw-software.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=544&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#544

From: spamtrap@mw-software.com (Martin Wuerthner)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: EasiWriter: Spell Check
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 13:06:38 +0200
 by: Martin Wuerthner - Mon, 17 May 2021 11:06 UTC

Chris Dale <chris@acdale.plus.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have EasiWriter V9.12 running on my Titanium with RO5.28 For a long
> time I haven't been unable to spell check various documents. If I select
> 'Spelling' then 'Check All' I get '0 words checked' and 'xxx (total number
> of words) words marked to be ignored'. If I open a new document and type
> in some words, they can be spell checked, no problem. If I copy and paste
> the text from a problem document onto a new document, I get the same
> problem of all the words marked to be ignored.
>
> I had advice about the same problem 5 years ago and the problem seemed to
> be that the country was set to 'None'. I created a new stationery file
> called 'UK' with the country set to UK. I don't know what has happened but
> with that 'UK' stationery selected I get the same problem. Having written
> my 7000+ word document I want to spell check it. If I look at Menu 'Text'
> > 'Country' it shows 'None' If I change 'Country' to 'UK' that setting
> seems to be ignored and if I save the document the 'Country' setting has
> changed back to 'None'.

As so often with EasiWriter it all boils down to the selection. The "Text =>
Country" setting operates on the selection, so if you do not select
anything, you apply this change only to text you are about to type. To
change the country setting of the entire document, click on the Selection
field (the field that shows "Text selection") until it shows "Document",
then go to "Text => Country" and choose UK. Having done that, it is still
possible that the document setting is overridden at some more specific
level, e.g., a chapter or a paragraph, but it is most likely that this is
not the case.

Before applying such a manual document override, you may also want to check
whether maybe the Document style has the wrong Country setting. The easiest
way to do that is to choose "View => Style finder...", which shows all
styles that contribute to the text at the caret, then click on "Edit..."
next to the "Document style" entry at the bottom, which brings up the style
editor for the document style. Click on "Text..." to show the text
properties. If the displayed country setting in the "Country" field is not
"UK", choose "UK" from the pop-up menu next to it, then click on "OK", and
then "OK" again in the style editor to apply it.

--
Martin Wuerthner MW Software http://www.mw-software.com/

------- RISC OS Software for Design, Printing and Publishing --------

Re: EasiWriter: Spell Check

<592e02c4besee.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=545&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#545

From: see.sig@russellhafter.me.invalid (Russell Hafter News)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:37:07 +0100
 by: Russell Hafter News - Mon, 17 May 2021 11:37 UTC

In article <d8c8092d59.acdale@chris.acdale.plus.com>,
Chris Dale <chris@acdale.plus.com> wrote:

> I had advice about the same problem 5 years ago and the
> problem seemed to be that the country was set to 'None'.
> I created a new stationery file called 'UK' with the
> country set to UK. I don't know what has happened but
> with that 'UK' stationery selected I get the same
> problem.

> Having written my 7000+ word document I want
> to spell check it. If I look at Menu 'Text' -> 'Country'
> it shows 'None' If I change 'Country' to 'UK' that setting
> seems to be ignored and if I save the document the
> Country' setting has changed back to 'None'.

two places to start looking:-

When you say that you are changing the country setting to
UK, are you doing that for the Document, for a Section, for
a Paragraph, or for the Current Text? [Look at the very top
of the EW screen to see what you have selected.]

Have you copied text from another document which is not in
EW format into your document? This could have the country
set as None or USA.

--
Russell
Russell Hafter

Re: EasiWriter: Spell Check

<66c0032e59.acdale@chris.acdale.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=546&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#546

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: chris@acdale.plus.com (Chris Dale)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:47:51 +0100
 by: Chris Dale - Mon, 17 May 2021 11:47 UTC

In message <mpro.qt9072001bl3507d4.spamtrap@mw-software.com>
Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

> Chris Dale <chris@acdale.plus.com> wrote:

>> Hi, I have EasiWriter V9.12 running on my Titanium with RO5.28 For a long
>> time I haven't been unable to spell check various documents. If I select
>> 'Spelling' then 'Check All' I get '0 words checked' and 'xxx (total number
>> of words) words marked to be ignored'. If I open a new document and type
>> in some words, they can be spell checked, no problem. If I copy and paste
>> the text from a problem document onto a new document, I get the same
>> problem of all the words marked to be ignored.
>>
>> I had advice about the same problem 5 years ago and the problem seemed to
>> be that the country was set to 'None'. I created a new stationery file
>> called 'UK' with the country set to UK. I don't know what has happened but
>> with that 'UK' stationery selected I get the same problem. Having written
>> my 7000+ word document I want to spell check it. If I look at Menu 'Text'
>>> 'Country' it shows 'None' If I change 'Country' to 'UK' that setting
>> seems to be ignored and if I save the document the 'Country' setting has
>> changed back to 'None'.

> As so often with EasiWriter it all boils down to the selection. The "Text =>
> Country" setting operates on the selection, so if you do not select
> anything, you apply this change only to text you are about to type. To
> change the country setting of the entire document, click on the Selection
> field (the field that shows "Text selection") until it shows "Document",
> then go to "Text => Country" and choose UK. Having done that, it is still
> possible that the document setting is overridden at some more specific
> level, e.g., a chapter or a paragraph, but it is most likely that this is
> not the case.

> Before applying such a manual document override, you may also want to check
> whether maybe the Document style has the wrong Country setting. The easiest
> way to do that is to choose "View => Style finder...", which shows all
> styles that contribute to the text at the caret, then click on "Edit..."
> next to the "Document style" entry at the bottom, which brings up the style
> editor for the document style. Click on "Text..." to show the text
> properties. If the displayed country setting in the "Country" field is not
> "UK", choose "UK" from the pop-up menu next to it, then click on "OK", and
> then "OK" again in the style editor to apply it.

Thanks Martin. I will make a note of this.

Chris Dale