From: brian.jordan9@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: What3Words for RISC OS 2.0x
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 03:11:06 +0100
 by: Brian Jordan - Sat, 15 May 2021 02:11 UTC

On 13 May, brian.jordan9@btinternet.com wrote:
> In October 2019 I announced !W3W, a simple converter from the w3w
> format to latitude/longitude with the ability to open a map in RiscOSM
> or to launch it via Uniserve on a Windows machine.

[Snip]

> Additionally, GPX files saved from a RiscOSM pin definition will open
> in !W3W. That is, if you position a pin on a map in RiscOSM, over
> Bill's mum's house say, and then export that pin definition to your
> machine (I use Memphis) you can then drag that file to either the W3W
> icon bar icon or the main window. The appropriate 3 words and other
> information will then appear in the window. The next version of the
> program should permit direct drags once the programmer gets his head
> around how that works.

While working on the program this evening I have found that only pins
produced and exported from RiscOSM in the following way work at the
moment:

In RiscOSM place a new pin on a map using the pin tool.
<Menu> over the pin. Follow Pin nn 'Placename...'>Export>GPX>Save.

Pins which result from a 'New Map' search in RiscOSM cause W3W for RISC
OS to freeze.

NOTE: This is entirely due to a naive assumption I made about the content
of GPX files; it does not in any way reflect on the operation of RiscOSM.

> Also in the pipeline is saving the output data to a text file (see the
> 'direct dragging' caveat) [2]

> The program can be downladed from
> https://www.bjordan.org.uk/software/w3w_2-01.zip

> Enjoy! (As the young people keep saying to me)

[Snip]

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 (19-Oct-20) on Raspberry Pi