From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Passwords
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 10:23:18 -0700
 by: KenW - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 17:23 UTC

Don't know if asked before. Are passwords saved in readable format
anyplace ? Like email, servers or accounts.

KenW

Re: Passwords

<q68qkitho6m9arcovqd8ujsl2d53vs1m58@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5405&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5405

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Passwords
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:24:46 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 18:24 UTC

On Thu, 09 Nov 2023 10:23:18 -0700, KenW wrote:

> Don't know if asked before. Are passwords saved in readable format
> anyplace ? Like email, servers or accounts.

Your passwords look similar to this in your Agent 8 AGENT.INI file:

<Password>UEFTU1dPUkQK</Password>

The password is scrambled/obfuscated, but it is not encrypted in a
way that would totally prevent anyone else from decoding it. Someone
who got hold of your scrambled password, could put it into their own
copy of Agent and then get Agent to write a data.log file which would
reveal the password.

So don't post your entire AGENT.INI file online. :-)

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️

Re: Passwords

<6qeqki59b6ftuvp3v8ujdvmkknl6b0tabt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5406&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5406

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 13:04:55 -0700
 by: KenW - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 20:04 UTC

Thanks

>On Thu, 09 Nov 2023 10:23:18 -0700, KenW wrote:
>
>> Don't know if asked before. Are passwords saved in readable format
>> anyplace ? Like email, servers or accounts.
>

>Your passwords look similar to this in your Agent 8 AGENT.INI file:
>
> <Password>UEFTU1dPUkQK</Password>
>
>The password is scrambled/obfuscated, but it is not encrypted in a
>way that would totally prevent anyone else from decoding it. Someone
>who got hold of your scrambled password, could put it into their own
>copy of Agent and then get Agent to write a data.log file which would
>reveal the password.
>
>So don't post your entire AGENT.INI file online. :-)

KenW

Re: Passwords

<oqnrkil6k1tq9ep4jmc6s0g6fvbbn00dt5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5407&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5407

From: not.in.use@invalid.xor (lisa)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:03:06 +0100
 by: lisa - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:03 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:24:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>The password is scrambled/obfuscated, but it is not encrypted in a
>way that would totally prevent anyone else from decoding it. Someone
>who got hold of your scrambled password, could put it into their own
>copy of Agent and then get Agent to write a data.log file which would
>reveal the password.

interesting

I have an agent.log directory with routerlogs (xxx.xml) but I don't
see any unscrambled password information. I forget to write down one
of my email passwords. It's now scrambled and Agent has no problems
getting email from that account, but reading this answer I have hope
it's possible to unscramble that password and figure out what password
I used when I created that account. How could I do that?

Re: Passwords

<93trkid2ha5drvcr9q76dltqb8gfnqoc4j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5408&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5408

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:14:21 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:14 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:03:06 +0100, lisa wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:24:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> The password is scrambled/obfuscated, but it is not encrypted in a
>> way that would totally prevent anyone else from decoding it. Someone
>> who got hold of your scrambled password, could put it into their own
>> copy of Agent and then get Agent to write a data.log file which would
>> reveal the password.
>
> interesting
>
> I have an agent.log directory with routerlogs (xxx.xml) but I don't
> see any unscrambled password information.

_Not_ the RouterLog-yyyy-mm-dd.xml files in the log directory.

There is a file named “DATA.LOG”, which Agent does not normally create.
For Agent to create it, a setting in the AGENT.INI file is required.
It is the file named “DATA.LOG” which may contain readable passwords.

See this page in the help file:
Help >> Index >> .INI file >> AGENT.INI >> [Debugging] >> LogData=<bool>

Only turn this setting on when you need to, and turn it off afterwards.
You do not want to leave this setting turned on for _two_ reasons:
1) The “DATA.LOG” file can grow enormously and fill up your data folder.
2) The “DATA.LOG” file can reveal your passwords.

> I forget to write down one
> of my email passwords. It's now scrambled and Agent has no problems
> getting email from that account, but reading this answer I have hope
> it's possible to unscramble that password and figure out what password
> I used when I created that account. How could I do that?

Follow the steps in part 2 of my reply here:

* Usenet MID link: <URL:news:1p8clc9clf49a0e6o8o52eujpqralldviq@4ax.com>
* Google Groups link: <URL:https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/yf4WO_wzEOQ/m/i8i7s6LbAAAJ>
* UsenetArchives link: <URL:https://www.usenetarchives.com/view.php?id=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent&mid=PGxucmFsY2RzMGllZWduaHE5bm81azlkZG90Y2FrYnMxNGVANGF4LmNvbT4>

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️ 🪔️

Re: Passwords

<9s1ski1s1tj70bsp8r525e0oj8n90b2f3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5409&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5409

From: not.in.use@invalid.xor (lisa)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:57:12 +0100
 by: lisa - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 10:57 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:14:21 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>There is a file named “DATA.LOG”, which Agent does not normally create.
>For Agent to create it, a setting in the AGENT.INI file is required.
>It is the file named “DATA.LOG” which may contain readable passwords.
>
>Only turn this setting on when you need to, and turn it off afterwards.
>You do not want to leave this setting turned on for _two_ reasons:
> 1) The “DATA.LOG” file can grow enormously and fill up your data folder.

yeah, one email request already generate much data.

> 2) The “DATA.LOG” file can reveal your passwords.

yes, it really does. It was a typo problem.

>Follow the steps in part 2 of my reply here:
>
> * Usenet MID link: <URL:news:1p8clc9clf49a0e6o8o52eujpqralldviq@4ax.com>
> * Google Groups link: <URL:https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/yf4WO_wzEOQ/m/i8i7s6LbAAAJ>
> * UsenetArchives link: <URL:https://www.usenetarchives.com/view.php?id=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent&mid=PGxucmFsY2RzMGllZWduaHE5bm81azlkZG90Y2FrYnMxNGVANGF4LmNvbT4>

only the Google Group link works for me, but one working link is
enough.
Thanks a lot for your great support.
--

A mobile phone is a tool and not a drug.