No amount of careful planning will ever replace dumb luck.

computers / comp.text.tex / Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

SubjectAuthor
* Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Cecil Westerhof
+* Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Peter Flynn
|+* Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Cecil Westerhof
||`* Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Peter Flynn
|| `- Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Cecil Westerhof
|`- Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Stefan Ram
`* Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Cecil Westerhof
 `* Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Peter Flynn
  `- Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}Cecil Westerhof

1
Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<87mtab1v4u.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5390&group=comp.text.tex#5390

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 17:11:29 +0200
sha1:zGw5zu1zqIP1lHIdPidfiUlUY6s=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 15:11 UTC

I want to change the font that is used. I understood that instead of
pdflatex I should use lualatex and use:
\usepackage{fontspec}

But at the moment I do that I get:
[\directlua]:1: module 'luaotfload-main' not found:
no field package.preload['luaotfload-main']
[kpse lua searcher] file not found: 'luaotfload-main'
Error in luaotfload: reverting to OT1 L3 programming layer <2021-01-09>

What is going wrong here?
I am using Debian 11.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<jq3qnnF4jd9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5399&group=comp.text.tex#5399

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 00:34:31 +0200
 by: Peter Flynn - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 22:34 UTC

On 04/10/2022 17:11, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I want to change the font that is used. I understood that instead of
> pdflatex I should use lualatex and use:

Or XeLaTeX. I don't think there is any advantage in using LuaLaTeX if
you are not using Lua (but I'm happy to be proved wrong)

> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> But at the moment I do that I get:
> [\directlua]:1: module 'luaotfload-main' not found:
> no field package.preload['luaotfload-main']
> [kpse lua searcher] file not found: 'luaotfload-main'
> Error in luaotfload: reverting to OT1 L3 programming layer <2021-01-09>
>
> What is going wrong here?
> I am using Debian 11.

Try xelatex.

Peter

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<87k05fyys4.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5400&group=comp.text.tex#5400

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 01:06:19 +0200
sha1:iEvTExguhTimNC7VCenM/dgEBRs=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 23:06 UTC

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I want to change the font that is used. I understood that instead of
> pdflatex I should use lualatex and use:
> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> But at the moment I do that I get:
> [\directlua]:1: module 'luaotfload-main' not found:
> no field package.preload['luaotfload-main']
> [kpse lua searcher] file not found: 'luaotfload-main'
> Error in luaotfload: reverting to OT1 L3 programming layer <2021-01-09>
>
> What is going wrong here?
> I am using Debian 11.

When the \usepackage{fontspec} is removed, the pdf is generated
without a problem.
But when looking a little bit clearer I see I still get:
[\directlua]:1: module 'luaotfload-main' not found:
no field package.preload['luaotfload-main']
[kpse lua searcher] file not found: 'luaotfload-main'
Error in luaotfload: reverting to OT1 L3 programming layer <2021-01-09>

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<87czb7yvlu.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5402&group=comp.text.tex#5402

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 02:14:53 +0200
sha1:3X9lxYNxnEdWe6bkk1Z75eUH2FY=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 00:14 UTC

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> On 04/10/2022 17:11, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I want to change the font that is used. I understood that instead of
>> pdflatex I should use lualatex and use:
>
> Or XeLaTeX. I don't think there is any advantage in using LuaLaTeX if
> you are not using Lua (but I'm happy to be proved wrong)

I understood that the default nowadays is lualatex.

But I found the problem. I had to install texlive-luatex.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<luatex-20221005110026@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5406&group=comp.text.tex#5406

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: 5 Oct 2022 10:01:31 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 10:01 UTC

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
>Or XeLaTeX. I don't think there is any advantage in using LuaLaTeX if
>you are not using Lua (but I'm happy to be proved wrong)

Last year I tried to process source code in utf-8 with
English and Japanese characters in plain TeX. It seems
to have worked using "\input luaotfload.sty" and luatex,
while it seems I was not able to do this with tex, uptex,
or xetex. (I can't remember all details now, maybe I have
missed something.)

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<jq57a5Fb1krU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5414&group=comp.text.tex#5414

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:15:16 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 11:15 UTC

On 05/10/2022 01:14, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
>
>> On 04/10/2022 17:11, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>> I want to change the font that is used. I understood that instead of
>>> pdflatex I should use lualatex and use:
>>
>> Or XeLaTeX. I don't think there is any advantage in using LuaLaTeX if
>> you are not using Lua (but I'm happy to be proved wrong)
>
> I understood that the default nowadays is lualatex.

Can you identify the source for this opinion?

I *think* the distribution default is still pdflatex,
although the TeX Live 2022 DVD arrived just yesterday
and I haven't had a chance to look at it.

If not, I would assume xelatex. As I said, lualatex is
very good if you want to embed scripting using Lua.
I can't think of a good use case for using it otherwise
(yet!).

> But I found the problem. I had to install texlive-luatex.

That is one of the reasons. I can't recommend this to new
users who probably don't know what Lua is or what they
might want it for.

Peter

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<jq57b5Fb1krU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5415&group=comp.text.tex#5415

From: peter@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:15:49 +0100

On 05/10/2022 00:06, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:
>
>> I want to change the font that is used. I understood that instead of
>> pdflatex I should use lualatex and use:

Have you tried using xelatex as I recommended?

Peter

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<87czb6xz5m.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5418&group=comp.text.tex#5418

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 13:55:49 +0200
sha1:wkiSiczMWznQOEczjHt3KDOuPQI=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 11:55 UTC

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> On 05/10/2022 01:14, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

>>> Or XeLaTeX. I don't think there is any advantage in using LuaLaTeX if
>>> you are not using Lua (but I'm happy to be proved wrong)
>> I understood that the default nowadays is lualatex.
>
> Can you identify the source for this opinion?

Sadly not. I did a lot of duckduckgo. One page sent me in the right
direction. He said that I had to use fontspec and that this does not
work with pdflatex, so I should use lualatex, or xelatex. But he also
said that lualatex would be the default in LaTeX3.

>> But I found the problem. I had to install texlive-luatex.
>
> That is one of the reasons. I can't recommend this to new
> users who probably don't know what Lua is or what they
> might want it for.

I only know it is a programming language. I was told it is a quit
interesting language and wanted to explore it. Until now I did not get
to it.
I think I should start with getting LaTeX in my fingers and starting
at lua in about half a year.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Error with \usepackage{fontspec}

<878rluxyxi.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5419&group=comp.text.tex#5419

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 14:00:41 +0200
sha1:4DMV6SWkC7SS2Q+cFYMW6sKYHf0=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 12:00 UTC

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> On 05/10/2022 00:06, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:
>>
>>> I want to change the font that is used. I understood that instead of
>>> pdflatex I should use lualatex and use:
>
> Have you tried using xelatex as I recommended?

Well, in one of my many searches I was told to use xelatex, or
lualatex. I was there also told that LaTeX3 uses lualatex as default.
It is working now, so I will for the moment keep using lualatex, but
when I get another problem: I will try xelatex.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer