From: spamless@gmx.de (Holger Schieferdecker)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Directory navigation and arrow navigation
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:34:49 +0200
 by: Holger Schieferdecke - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:34 UTC

Hi,

usually I have arrow navigation enabled so I can navigate the folders in
a collection with all four arrow keys in four directions. This works
fine as long as there are no directories. When I look at the messages in
a folder I can go back to the folder list with the left arrow key and
then select a different folger.

But when I navigate in a directory containing folders the arrow keys are
just used to highlight different folders. The menu has the entry

"< ParentDir"

but that has no effect using the keyboard. Instead I get the message
[Already on first item in folder list]. Of course I can use the mouse
and click on that menu entry which gets me to the parent directory. The
question is how to do that with the keyboard. Any suggestions?

I don't know if that is important, but I use PC Alpine 2.26. Following
is a part of my configuration.

[ Folder Preferences ]
[X] Combined Folder Display
[ ] Combined Subdirectory Display
[ ] Compensate for Deficient IMAP servers
[ ] Enable Hidden Folders
[X] Enable Incoming Folders Collection
[ ] Enable Incoming Folders Checking
[ ] Incoming Checking Includes Total
[ ] Incoming Checking Uses Recent
[X] Expanded View of Folders
[X] Hide Empty Directories
[ ] Separate Folder and Directory Entries
[ ] Single Column Folder List
[ ] Sort Default Fcc Folder Alphabetically
[ ] Sort Default Save Folder Alphabetically
[ ] Use Vertical Folder List
[ Advanced Command Preferences ]
[X] Enable Aggregate Command Set
[X] Enable Arrow Navigation
[X] Enable Arrow Navigation Relaxed

Most of the time I don't use directories, but on one account I have
some. So any hints to a missing configuration option are greatly
appreciated.

Or would it be possible to implement a virtual entry ".." which can be
selected to get to the parent directory? Maybe just changing the
keyboard shortcut would be sufficient.

Note: The IMAP server is configured that a folder can contain messages
and subfolders. Alpine handles that. In the folder list I can select the
name of the folder to see the messages in that, or I can select the [/]
after the folder name to see the folders in the directory.

Holger