From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Ralpf Fox: unicode-extension-for-agent-agtex-beta-version-0-41-2023-900
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:17:28 +0100
 by: Pete W - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:17 UTC

Ralph, I've d/l the above and attempted to install it but without the
results I expected. Obviously my fault and hopefully you can put me
straight.

System: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Wine-stable 8.0.2-jammy-1

Agent 8.00/32 1272

Screen-shots showing current settings after my attempts at
installation. I can't spot any obvious differences from those shown in
the screen-shots in your installation instructions, but I guess there
must be <g>

Language https://imgur.com/a/BfmjpDY

Fonts https://imgur.com/a/1vzBBTB

Agent https://imgur.com/a/PhR1naR

Test results https://imgur.com/a/JvAcVBF

I did change the language to "Unicode UTF-8 (English)"

Am I wrong in expecting more? If yes, where have I messed up?

TIA

---
Pete.

Re: Ralpf Fox: unicode-extension-for-agent-agtex-beta-version-0-41-2023-900

<a3sqiih89qpl96tl2scoi7j9lqfe3f3v6m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5369&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5369

From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:19:34 +0100
 by: Pete W - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:19 UTC

Apologies for typo - should be Ralph, obviously.
---
Pete.

Re: Ralpf Fox: unicode-extension-for-agent-agtex-beta-version-0-41-2023-900

<vigsii9alju7pue6kpjtp16lot5b6apbp4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5370&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5370

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:47:46 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:47 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:17:28 +0100, Pete W wrote:

> Ralph, I've d/l the above and attempted to install it but without the
> results I expected. Obviously my fault and hopefully you can put me
> straight.
>
> System: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
>
> Wine-stable 8.0.2-jammy-1
>
> Agent 8.00/32 1272
>
> Screen-shots showing current settings after my attempts at
> installation. I can't spot any obvious differences from those shown in
> the screen-shots in your installation instructions, but I guess there
> must be <g>
>
> Language https://imgur.com/a/BfmjpDY
>
> Fonts https://imgur.com/a/1vzBBTB
>
> Agent https://imgur.com/a/PhR1naR
>
> Test results https://imgur.com/a/JvAcVBF
>
> I did change the language to "Unicode UTF-8 (English)"
>
> Am I wrong in expecting more? If yes, where have I messed up?
>
> TIA
>
> ---
> Pete.

In Windows 10 and 11, Tahoma is the best out-of-the-box choice to
display as many Unicode characters as possible.

In other operating environments, Tahoma may not be the best choice.

Here in out-of-the-box Wine-stable 6.0.3 on Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon,
I get better results with "Free Sans" and "DejaVu Sans" than I do
with "Tahoma" in the same environment.
* Free Sans Armenian, Assyrian, Bengali, Cree, English,
Georgian, Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Hindi,
Malayalam, Panjabi, Russian, Tamazight, Vai
* DejaVu Sans Arabic, Armenian, Cree, English, Georgian,
Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Lao, Russian,
Tamazight
* Tahoma Arabic, English, Russian
None of them are yet as good as "Tahoma" in Windows 10.

FYI...

* The Tahoma font itself does _not_ contain all the Unicode
characters which you see in this screen-shot:
<https://i.imgur.com/r8nZBMm.png>.

* If a Unicode character is not in your choice of font, recent
versions of Windows may try to find a "similar" font with the
character.

* Linux and Wine together can do something similar. But
it looks like this could need some font installation and
configuration to get results like I get in Windows 10.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
Vita brevis, ars longa
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne

Re: Ralpf Fox: unicode-extension-for-agent-agtex-beta-version-0-41-2023-900

<h2btiih7va5b9ub989p65prrbd8nei27lu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5371&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5371

From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:31:27 +0100
 by: Pete W - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:31 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:47:46 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote in reply:

>In Windows 10 and 11, Tahoma is the best out-of-the-box choice to
>display as many Unicode characters as possible.
>
>In other operating environments, Tahoma may not be the best choice.
>
>Here in out-of-the-box Wine-stable 6.0.3 on Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon,
>I get better results with "Free Sans" and "DejaVu Sans" than I do
>with "Tahoma" in the same environment.
> * Free Sans Armenian, Assyrian, Bengali, Cree, English,
> Georgian, Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Hindi,
> Malayalam, Panjabi, Russian, Tamazight, Vai
> * DejaVu Sans Arabic, Armenian, Cree, English, Georgian,
> Greek (polytonic), Hebrew, Lao, Russian,
> Tamazight
> * Tahoma Arabic, English, Russian
>None of them are yet as good as "Tahoma" in Windows 10.

After experimenting with these fonts I can see the difference.

With Free Sans: https://imgur.com/a/c0VgD6K

With DejaVue Sans: https://imgur.com/a/C67oNBG

For day to work I mainly use LM 21.2 but as it's a dual boot set up
with Windows 10 I installed Agent on Win 10 and using the fonts you
recommended got these, as you say, much better results.

https://imgur.com/a/5tUVajc

Many thanks for your help Ralph, especially the tip about using Agent
on Win 10. Never thought to try it, never thought it would make such
a difference. Thanks again.

Peter.