From: sw@newsguy.com (swalker)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Failed Win 7 Update for HP
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 13:42:14 -0600
 by: swalker - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:42 UTC

This update "WindowsUpdate_800F020B" has continually failed.

Anybody else having the same problem?

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Failed Win 7 Update for HP

<tks53e$1iohr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5366&group=alt.windows7.general#5366

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Failed Win 7 Update for HP
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:19:41 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 01:19 UTC

On 11/13/2022 2:42 PM, swalker wrote:

> This update "WindowsUpdate_800F020B" has continually failed.
>
> Anybody else having the same problem?
>
> Thanks for any replies.

It sounds like Windows Update is trying to install a device driver.

An example of a tricky one, can be if this is a laptop, you have
a touchpad, and Windows is trying to install the wrong Synaptics
driver for touchpad.

You can tell Windows to stop trying to install device drivers
on its own.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-stop-windows-7-automatically-installing-drivers-11ed3ddc-83a0-ffd4-2f37-f21cd8d4b7d5

*******

In the Control Panels, is an item called Troubleshooting, and
in there, you might find an item for Updates. There is a general
script behind that, and that script is also available separately
on web sites. Reading the script, you can see what it is trying
to do.

The problem with resetting Windows Update, is whatever furball
it has got itself into, after a lot of wheel spinning and downloading,
it can end up in exactly the same place again. That's why it's best
to try the device driver disable one first, reboot, and see if
the design has enough sense to not install that unwanted driver
any more.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

*******

You can also run "devmgmt.msc" which is Device Manager, and check
to see if any items are completely without drivers at the moment.
Maybe there really is a need for a driver. But, I doubt it. Still,
you should check Device Manager and have a look.

*******

If you haven't done a full backup of C: in a while, now would be
a good time to do one. Then work on your to-do list and see if
you can make any progress. If you make things worse, then use
your full backup to restore the system.

*******

Windows 7 SP1, made a transition from SHA1 signing to SHA2 signing.
(SHA2 is also known as SHA256.)

There is a set of patches that were delivered for Windows 7,
that try to install the signing upgrade. As far as I know, that's backward
compatible, so if it is installed, any update should work.

It's the other case, where you haven't got the signing update
on board, which could cause problems with updates installing.
An update file signed with SHA2, can't be installed by a system
equipped with only SHA1. And that's what the updates transitioning
from SHA1 to SHA2 were intended to handle. Depending on when your
Windows Update broke, it's possible you are missing items
like that.

You can see here, one of the posters is recommending two files for that.
You can check your update history and see if they are present. Holding
your mouse over the link, shows the KB number I have copied in.

https://www.sevenforums.com/news/422849-sha-2-signing-requirements-win7-updates-stand-alone-installations.html

kb4474419-v3-x64

kb4490628-x64

The advice is the same as here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/2019-sha-2-code-signing-support-requirement-for-windows-and-wsus-64d1c82d-31ee-c273-3930-69a4cde8e64f

Some of these things are gated by Servicing Stack Updates (SSU),
but trying to fiddle this stuff manually, is a painful task.
That's why I have my Wsusoffline-prepared folder with Windows 7
updates in it, to automate the process. This does updates in
about five stages, and it installs critical patches first,
to make Windows Update work better.

https://download.wsusoffline.net/

Modifications in version 11.9

( NOTE: This version will be the last one supporting Windows 7 )

What that does, is it provides a script that downloads a set of updates
from Microsoft.com . The wsusoffline.net site itself does not provide
the updates (the Microsoft lawyers would pounce if they did). The end
result is you end up with a folder of 150 updates or so, and I have
used my folder of updates to bring a fresh install of Windows 7 Sp1
up to date.

But we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. Which is why
I haven't gone into any depth on some of these topics. It
could be, you turn off that Device Driver thing and it'll
stop pestering you :-) It might be that easy. Might.