One Bell System - it used to work before they installed the Dimension!

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

SubjectAuthor
* Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Martin Harran
+* Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Ralph Fox
|+- Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Ralph Fox
|`* Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Martin Harran
| `* Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Ralph Fox
|  `- Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Martin Harran
`* Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Heinz Schmitz
 +- Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Ralph Fox
 `- Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.Martin Harran

1
Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<mlcahi5a95s698lg4vv1nhso6cs5e9u5ik@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5327&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5327

From: martinharran@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:01:32 +0100
 by: Martin Harran - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:01 UTC

My installation of Agent is increasingly adding responses to posts
into the wrong thread. For example, I replied a couple of days ago to
a message in a thread started just two weeks ago but my posts and
2008!

I don't think it's a Headers issue as when I check the headers in
Agent, the correct Subject is shown. Also, when I click on the last
Reference Message ID, it takes me to the post to which I am replying,
in the correct thread.

In order to view responses to my post, I have had to create a "Last 3
Days" filter. That filter shows the response in the correct thread!

This is only happening in Agent, the correct threads are maintained in
Google Groups.

I've tried Repairing the Foder but it has had no impact.

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<pghahitlapodpdh3gl3g5v2pr5nhna7c11@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5328&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5328

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:23:39 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:23 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:01:32 +0100, Martin Harran wrote:

> My installation of Agent is increasingly adding responses to posts
> into the wrong thread. For example, I replied a couple of days ago to
> a message in a thread started just two weeks ago but my posts and
> 2008!
>
> I don't think it's a Headers issue as when I check the headers in
> Agent, the correct Subject is shown. Also, when I click on the last
> Reference Message ID, it takes me to the post to which I am replying,
> in the correct thread.
>
> In order to view responses to my post, I have had to create a "Last 3
> Days" filter. That filter shows the response in the correct thread!
>
> This is only happening in Agent, the correct threads are maintained in
> Google Groups.
>
> I've tried Repairing the Foder but it has had no impact.

This is a known problem when Agent has lots of headers in the group.
For previous discussions, search this group for the phrase
"hash collision":

For example, see this discussion from December 1997:
Subject: Mis-threaded messages

For a table showing the probability of mis-threading vs. the number
of headers in the group, see this post from May 1997.
To read the table you may need to use a fixed-pitch font. E.g., copy
the text from Google Groups and paste into a text editor that is using
a fixed-pitch font.
Subject: Threading observation - Attn: Sherlog
From: pls.see.addr@my.sig

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

It is better to fall in with crows than with flatterers; for in the
one case you are devoured when dead, in the other case while alive.
ย  -- Antisthenes

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<ubiahi90m7k2b12csdel5tk035me04u5s9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5329&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5329

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:41:28 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:41 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:23:39 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

> For a table showing the probability of mis-threading vs. the number
> of headers in the group, see this post from May 1997.

To clarify...

This is the probability that at least one mis-threading will
occur somewhere in the group.

This is not the probability that any given message will be
mis-threaded.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<i35bhih5on60g84vah6vo5fqsufneg3cr0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5331&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5331

From: martinharran@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:02:44 +0100
 by: Martin Harran - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:02 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:23:39 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:01:32 +0100, Martin Harran wrote:
>
>> My installation of Agent is increasingly adding responses to posts
>> into the wrong thread. For example, I replied a couple of days ago to
>> a message in a thread started just two weeks ago but my posts and
>> 2008!
>>
>> I don't think it's a Headers issue as when I check the headers in
>> Agent, the correct Subject is shown. Also, when I click on the last
>> Reference Message ID, it takes me to the post to which I am replying,
>> in the correct thread.
>>
>> In order to view responses to my post, I have had to create a "Last 3
>> Days" filter. That filter shows the response in the correct thread!
>>
>> This is only happening in Agent, the correct threads are maintained in
>> Google Groups.
>>
>> I've tried Repairing the Foder but it has had no impact.
>

>This is a known problem when Agent has lots of headers in the group.
>For previous discussions, search this group for the phrase
>"hash collision":
>
>For example, see this discussion from December 1997:
> Subject: Mis-threaded messages
>

>For a table showing the probability of mis-threading vs. the number
>of headers in the group, see this post from May 1997.
>To read the table you may need to use a fixed-pitch font. E.g., copy
>the text from Google Groups and paste into a text editor that is using
>a fixed-pitch font.
> Subject: Threading observation - Attn: Sherlog
> From: pls.see.addr@my.sig

Seems like no real answer to this unless I delete old posts which I
don't really want to do :(

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<ioebhipgp61tn99mhqb73ive4tkrps191s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5332&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5332

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 06:50:09 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:50 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:02:44 +0100, Martin Harran wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:23:39 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:01:32 +0100, Martin Harran wrote:
>>
>>> My installation of Agent is increasingly adding responses to posts
>>> into the wrong thread. For example, I replied a couple of days ago to
>>> a message in a thread started just two weeks ago but my posts and
>>> 2008!
>>>
>>> I don't think it's a Headers issue as when I check the headers in
>>> Agent, the correct Subject is shown. Also, when I click on the last
>>> Reference Message ID, it takes me to the post to which I am replying,
>>> in the correct thread.
>>>
>>> In order to view responses to my post, I have had to create a "Last 3
>>> Days" filter. That filter shows the response in the correct thread!
>>>
>>> This is only happening in Agent, the correct threads are maintained in
>>> Google Groups.
>>>
>>> I've tried Repairing the Foder but it has had no impact.
>>

>> This is a known problem when Agent has lots of headers in the group.
>> For previous discussions, search this group for the phrase
>> "hash collision":
>>
>> For example, see this discussion from December 1997:
>> Subject: Mis-threaded messages
>>

>> For a table showing the probability of mis-threading vs. the number
>> of headers in the group, see this post from May 1997.
>> To read the table you may need to use a fixed-pitch font. E.g., copy
>> the text from Google Groups and paste into a text editor that is using
>> a fixed-pitch font.
>> Subject: Threading observation - Attn: Sherlog
>> From: pls.see.addr@my.sig
>

> Seems like no real answer to this unless I delete old posts which I
> don't really want to do :(

Or, move old posts into a sub-folder (or multiple sub-folders
indexed by year).

If you use Find Global, it has an option โ€œInclude sub-foldersโ€.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Betere byรพ oft feรฐre รพonne oferfeรฐre.

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<tqdchip93cisanupetnp8boit59rmtapmb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5336&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5336

From: sch@example.invalid (Heinz Schmitz)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:39:02 +0200
 by: Heinz Schmitz - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 02:39 UTC

<martinharran@gmail.com> wrote:

>My installation of Agent is increasingly adding responses to posts
>into the wrong thread. For example, I replied a couple of days ago to
>a message in a thread started just two weeks ago but my posts and
>2008!
>
>I don't think it's a Headers issue as when I check the headers in
>Agent, the correct Subject is shown. Also, when I click on the last
>Reference Message ID, it takes me to the post to which I am replying,
>in the correct thread.
>
>In order to view responses to my post, I have had to create a "Last 3
>Days" filter. That filter shows the response in the correct thread!
>
>This is only happening in Agent, the correct threads are maintained in
>Google Groups.
>
>I've tried Repairing the Foder but it has had no impact.

If you happen to create a new posting with the same subject of an
existing older posting, your new posting will be found "in the thread"
of the older one.
This can be avoided by making the new subject unique, like eg by
including yy-mm-dd-hh-mm.

Regards,
H.

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<53lchi9pb5468mrpost4aapv08c8leu49j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5337&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5337

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:37:03 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:37 UTC

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:39:02 +0200, Heinz Schmitz wrote:

> If you happen to create a new posting with the same subject of an
> existing older posting, your new posting will be found "in the thread"
> of the older one.
> This can be avoided by making the new subject unique, like eg by
> including yy-mm-dd-hh-mm.
>
> Regards,
> H.

You can also avoid this case by turning _off_ โ€œEnable threading by
subjectโ€, at:

[Agent 1.7-1.93] Options >> General Preferences >> Message List
[Agent 2.00] Options >> General Preferences >> Display >> Message List Pane
[Agent 3.0-8.00] Tools >> Options >> Display >> Message List Pane

After you turn this off, it may not take effect immediately. To make
it take effect in a folder, change the folder's message list sort and
then change it back.

it is still a good idea to make the new subject unique, because other
readers of your post may have โ€œthreading by subjectโ€ enabled.

--
Regards
Ralph Fox

๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜† (๐˜ฏ) ๐–  ๐—๐–บ๐—‘ ๐—ˆ๐—‡ ๐—‰๐–พ๐—ˆ๐—‰๐—…๐–พ ๐—๐—๐—ˆ ๐–บ๐—‹๐–พ ๐–ป๐–บ๐–ฝ ๐–บ๐— ๐—†๐–บ๐—๐—๐—Œ.

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<2gefiip700r79iap6s9bm0hata9qrd5270@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5357&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5357

From: martinharran@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:19:28 +0100
 by: Martin Harran - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:19 UTC

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 06:50:09 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:02:44 +0100, Martin Harran wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:23:39 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> This is a known problem when Agent has lots of headers in the group.
>>> For previous discussions, search this group for the phrase
>>> "hash collision":
>>>
>>> For example, see this discussion from December 1997:
>>> Subject: Mis-threaded messages
>>>

>>> For a table showing the probability of mis-threading vs. the number
>>> of headers in the group, see this post from May 1997.
>>> To read the table you may need to use a fixed-pitch font. E.g., copy
>>> the text from Google Groups and paste into a text editor that is using
>>> a fixed-pitch font.
>>> Subject: Threading observation - Attn: Sherlog
>>> From: pls.see.addr@my.sig
>>

>> Seems like no real answer to this unless I delete old posts which I
>> don't really want to do :(

>Or, move old posts into a sub-folder (or multiple sub-folders
>indexed by year).
>
>If you use Find Global, it has an option ย“Include sub-foldersย”.

That is a very useful solution, thank you for that.

Re: Agent putting Responses in wrong thread.

<9hefiitpotvpdgm6hi4albpm7rj875tt9g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5358&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#5358

From: martinharran@gmail.com (Martin Harran)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:21:12 +0100
 by: Martin Harran - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:21 UTC

<sch@example.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:01:32 +0100, Martin Harran
><martinharran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>My installation of Agent is increasingly adding responses to posts
>>into the wrong thread. For example, I replied a couple of days ago to
>>a message in a thread started just two weeks ago but my posts and
>>2008!
>>
>>I don't think it's a Headers issue as when I check the headers in
>>Agent, the correct Subject is shown. Also, when I click on the last
>>Reference Message ID, it takes me to the post to which I am replying,
>>in the correct thread.
>>
>>In order to view responses to my post, I have had to create a "Last 3
>>Days" filter. That filter shows the response in the correct thread!
>>
>>This is only happening in Agent, the correct threads are maintained in
>>Google Groups.
>>
>>I've tried Repairing the Foder but it has had no impact.
>
>If you happen to create a new posting with the same subject of an
>existing older posting, your new posting will be found "in the thread"
>of the older one.
>This can be avoided by making the new subject unique, like eg by
>including yy-mm-dd-hh-mm.

Yes, I'm aware of that; it's not the sissue here, it's what Ralph
identified - too many headers in a group.