From: gp@rr.com
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Comcast email about some email clients not safe?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 06:08:13 -0500
 by: gp@rr.com - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 11:08 UTC

The following was posted in the Comcast news group.

Will this affect using Eudora if you have the latest HERMES patches
installed for sending and receiving Comcast emails?

Boris <boris@invalid.com> wrote:

> In the email sent out by Comcast, announcing that some devices/email
> clients may be using software that uses TLS 1.1 or lower, will no longer
> be supported by Comcast mail.
>
> In that letter, Comcast gives an xfinity email address to which one can
> send a test email to see if your email software passes their
> requirements. I did, and I pass.
>
> But why does the letter say that one can test up to five times a day?
>
> Here's some of the letter:
>
> "We noticed you're accessing your Comcast.net email through an older
> email application or device, such as an older smartphone. Unfortunately,
> some older devices, operating systems, and email applications don't
> support current security protocols and therefore put your data at risk."
>
> "We'll contact you again before these changes are made. You can check if
> your email applications are up to date by sending a test email to
> xfinity-tls-test@alerts.xfinity.com up to five times per day. "

A user can employ multiple e-mail clients, not just one. The limit is
probably to ensure there is decent response from the test service
rather
than having all their users flood it at the same time while testing an
unusually high count of e-mail clients. Plus, a Comcast account can
have more than one e-mail account: owner account plus up to 5 member
accounts (or maybe it's 5 total for owner+member). If their test
server
gets flooded, users would get frustrated in not receiving the response
e-mail for a long time instead of nearly immediately.

SSL was found vulnerable, so it got dropped. SSL 3.0 was the last
version. TLS 1.0 is exactly the same as SSL 3.0, except the
handshaking
was changed for TLS 1.0, so SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 were made
incompatible,
but security was not improved, so TLS 1.0 is just as vulnerable as SSL
3.0. TLS 1.1 came next, and found vulnerable. So, many sites or
services now require TLS 1.2 at a minimum although TLS 1.3 is now
available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security#SSL_1.0,_2.0,_and_3.0

https://www.venafi.com/blog/why-its-dangerous-use-outdated-tls-security-protocols

Re: Comcast email about some email clients not safe?

<thmlim$fjl$2@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=529&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#529

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:33:34 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:33 UTC

On 10/6/22 5:08 AM, gp@rr.com wrote:
> The following was posted in the Comcast news group.

What is the full newsgroup name?

I'd like to go read the original posting if I can find it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Comcast email about some email clients not safe?

<thmsr6$440$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=530&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#530

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 12:37:34 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:37 UTC

On 10/6/22 10:33 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> What is the full newsgroup name?

alt.online-service.comcast

I found the newsgroup.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Comcast email about some email clients not safe?

<ja10kh55kr0ubfqqr4hcq2om65ucrusogt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=531&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#531

From: gp@rr.com