From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Addressbook nickname distriution list expansion
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 15:08:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 20 May 2023 15:08 UTC

I almost never run into technical problems with alpine.

I use the alpine client on a remote host that I do not administer. It's
the Debian package of version 2.24. I don't even know if it's the latest
Debian package.

This isn't going to get updated because the host is being rebuilt, but I
wonder if anyone uses a Debian package and could check.

I don't really care for the built-in address book but I tend to nest
distribution lists and I sort of get it to do what I need it to do.
Specifically, I find it inconvenient to store the full name in that
field with multiple email addresses because the full name will appear
only with the first address and not the second. I solve this problem
either with nesting separate nicknames or putting the full name in the
field with each comma-separated email address.

In contacting students, I have a separate record for each student. In
this case, there is a single address per student.

I then create a distribution list which is a list of nicknames for those
single addresses.

If I am looking at the addressbook index, highlight the distribution
list, and use the compose command, the distribution list expands as
expected. However, if I'm in the composer and put the distribution
list's nickname on To, the distribution list doesn't expand. Instead
it's treated as the left part of the email address and the FQDN of the
host is appended as the right part.

Is anyone using a more recent package on Debian? Can you reproduce this
error?

Re: Addressbook nickname distriution list expansion

<u9tovrUc4pnL1@news.in-ulm.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=540&group=comp.mail.pine#540

From: spamless@gmx.de (Holger Schieferdecker)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:46:52 +0200
 by: Holger Schieferdecke - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:46 UTC

Am 20.05.2023 um 17:08 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
> In contacting students, I have a separate record for each student. In
> this case, there is a single address per student.
>
> I then create a distribution list which is a list of nicknames for those
> single addresses.
>
> If I am looking at the addressbook index, highlight the distribution
> list, and use the compose command, the distribution list expands as
> expected. However, if I'm in the composer and put the distribution
> list's nickname on To, the distribution list doesn't expand. Instead
> it's treated as the left part of the email address and the FQDN of the
> host is appended as the right part.
>
> Is anyone using a more recent package on Debian? Can you reproduce this
> error?

I'm not on Debian, but with PC Alpine 2.26 I can't reproduce that
behaviour. The distribution list expands with both methods. I tried it
with an old PC Alpine 2.20 and 2.23, these also show the desired behaviour.

Does the problem occur just on this specific host?

Holger

Re: Addressbook nickname distriution list expansion

<u9trce$1spjl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=541&group=comp.mail.pine#541

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:27:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:27 UTC

Holger Schieferdecker <spamless@gmx.de> wrote:
>Am 20.05.2023 um 17:08 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:

>>In contacting students, I have a separate record for each student. In
>>this case, there is a single address per student.

>>I then create a distribution list which is a list of nicknames for those
>>single addresses.

>>If I am looking at the addressbook index, highlight the distribution
>>list, and use the compose command, the distribution list expands as
>>expected. However, if I'm in the composer and put the distribution
>>list's nickname on To, the distribution list doesn't expand. Instead
>>it's treated as the left part of the email address and the FQDN of the
>>host is appended as the right part.
>>Is anyone using a more recent package on Debian? Can you reproduce this
>>error?

>I'm not on Debian, but with PC Alpine 2.26 I can't reproduce that
>behaviour. The distribution list expands with both methods. I tried it
>with an old PC Alpine 2.20 and 2.23, these also show the desired behaviour.

>Does the problem occur just on this specific host?

It's the host with my main inbox. I don't use alpine on another host. I
suspect it's a problem with how it got packaged for Debian.

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=587&group=comp.mail.pine#587

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:27:42 -0000 (UTC)

From: mechanic <mechanic@example.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: Install alpine on Windows ?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 12:58:01 +0100

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 18:08:58 +0100, mechanic wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:31:56 +0100, Barry Landy wrote:
>
>> just to say sorry to have come into this thread a bit late. I am
>> a user of Alpine on Windows 10 (and have used Pine/Alpine since
>> 1995).
>>
>> Glad you have sorted it out.
>>
>> I call Alpine from an icon which is a shortcut and have a
>> complicated set of parameters on the call (and it works). I do
>> recall an issue with the C++ runtime (started I think with
>> version 2.25) but you have now fixed that.
>>
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2023, J.O. Aho wrote:
>>
>>:>On 8/14/23 21:48, John Levine wrote:
>>:>> According to J.O. Aho <user@example.net>:
>>:>> > On 8/14/23 20:29, John Levine wrote:
>>:>> > > According to J.O. Aho <user@example.net>:
>>:>>>>>> The alpineapp web site has separate 64 and 32 bit Windows
>>:>>>>>> downloads. Nothing obscure about that.
>>:>>>>>
>>:>>>>> I was more thinking about the vcruntime, that you may need
>>:>>>>> both the 32 and 64 bit version installed.
>>:>>>>
>>:>>>> Yup, that was it. With both versions of the C++ library,
>>:>>>> it runs.
>>:>>>>
>>:>>>> Now the problem is that I configure my IMAP server but when
>>:>>>> it wants to log in, it shows me a popup with user name and
>>:>>>> password, but the password field is greyed out. Huh?
>>:>>
>>:>> I messed around and found that if I put the username in the config, e.g.
>>:>>
>>:>> imap.foo.com/user=bob@foo.com
>>:>>
>>:>> then the user field in the popup is preloaded and greyed, but entering
>>:>> password works and it logs in and I can see my mail. Feels like a bug.
>>:>
>>:> Yes, it feels like a bug and if you have the time and and will
>>:> to report it, please email chappa, you find his email adress
>>:> at this page: https://alpineapp.email/pine/pine-info/index.html
>>:> (didn't want to make it too easy for email scrapers).
>>:>
>>:>
>>:>
>
> You still with us, Eduardo?

Well the answer appears to be "yes"!
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Outlook token keeps expiring
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 10:29:10 -0000 (UTC)

I'm running alpine on a Mac, compiled from current source.

To access a mailbox at Microsoft, it does an OAUTH login that goes to
a web browser, lets me log in there, and then returns a token to
alpine, which alpine can use for subsequent logins.

That all works fine but in the past week or so, the token seems to expire
immediately, so I can read my mail once, but every subsequent time I
have to log in again which is rather a pain. Has anyone else seen this?
I have not changed my copy of Alpine or as far as I can tell, anything else.
The only thing different is that I am usually in New York and this week I
am in Germany, but the login works fine and MS has lots of users in Europe.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: Outlook token keeps expiring
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 21:02:11 -0000 (UTC)

It appears that Eduardo Chappa <chappa@washington.edu> said:
>On Wed, 1 Nov 2023, John Levine wrote:
>
>> That all works fine but in the past week or so, the token seems to
>> expire immediately, so I can read my mail once, but every subsequent
>> time I have to log in again which is rather a pain. ...
>> anything else. The only thing different is that I am usually in New York
>> and this week I am in Germany, but the login works fine and MS has lots
>> of users in Europe.

Now I'm in Czechia and it works again. Maybe it's German privacy law,
maybe it was just Microsoft being Microsoft.