User hostile.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Eliminate constant google login box

SubjectAuthor
* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
+* Eliminate constant google login boxVanguardLH
|`* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| +- Eliminate constant google login boxNobody
| +* Eliminate constant google login boxVanguardLH
| |`* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| | +* Eliminate constant google login boxwasbit
| | |+- Eliminate constant google login boxAdam H. Kerman
| | |`- Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| | `* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| |  +* Eliminate constant google login boxVanguardLH
| |  |+* Eliminate constant google login boxAndy Burns
| |  ||`- Eliminate constant google login boxVanguardLH
| |  |+- Eliminate constant google login boxAllanH
| |  |`* Eliminate constant google login boxPothos
| |  | +- Eliminate constant google login boxVanguardLH
| |  | `* Eliminate constant google login boxFrank Slootweg
| |  |  `- Eliminate constant google login boxPothos
| |  `* Eliminate constant google login boxRetirednoguilt
| |   `* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| |    `- Eliminate constant google login boxRetirednoguilt
| +* Eliminate constant google login boxPothos
| |+* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| ||+* Eliminate constant google login boxAdam H. Kerman
| ||`* Eliminate constant google login boxPaul
| || +* Eliminate constant google login boxPaul
| || `* Eliminate constant google login boxPothos
| ||  `* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| ||   +* Eliminate constant google login boxPaul
| ||   |`* Eliminate constant google login boxChar Jackson
| ||   | `* Eliminate constant google login boxPaul
| ||   |  `- Eliminate constant google login boxChar Jackson
| ||   `* Eliminate constant google login boxPothos
| ||    `* Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
| ||     `- Eliminate constant google login boxPothos
| |`- Eliminate constant google login boxVanguardLH
| `- Eliminate constant google login boxDanS
+- Eliminate constant google login box😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
+- Eliminate constant google login boxPaul
+* Eliminate constant google login boxAndy Burns
|+* Eliminate constant google login boxCarlos E.R.
||`* Eliminate constant google login boxAndy Burns
|| `- Eliminate constant google login boxCarlos E.R.
|+- Eliminate constant google login boxAdam H. Kerman
|`- Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
+- Eliminate constant google login boxJohnny
`* Eliminate constant google login boxRetirednoguilt
 +- Eliminate constant google login boxAndy Burns
 `* Eliminate constant google login boxAdam H. Kerman
  +- Eliminate constant google login boxmicky
  `- Eliminate constant google login boxmechanic

Pages:123
Eliminate constant google login box

<3fdrai9ilhgr8a6a4fkk74chhkg6sbt6sp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=530&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#530

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Eliminate constant google login box
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:07:31 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:07 UTC

How do I eliminate constant google login box.

I found some instructions but they didn't match my available settings.

Using Firefox. Win 10

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<1tneslqcjotr4$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=531&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#531

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Eliminate constant google login box
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:13:13 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:13 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> How do I eliminate constant google login box.

Login box where? Give a URL.

If it is any of Google services, well, yeah, you have to login to use
them. Normally you only login once to your Google account which then
gets used across all of Google services.

Are you relying on cookies for automatic logins? Are you purging
cookies between web sessions?

> I found some instructions but they didn't match my available settings.
> Using Firefox. Win 10

If the online instructions for Firefox don't match your Firefox
settings, then are you really using Firefox? Or maybe an ancient
version of Firefox? Just where are these "instructions"?

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<3FkrM.252477$GIe2.45667@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=532&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#532

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
From: @. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:24:56 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:24 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:07 PM, micky wrote:
> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>
> I found some instructions but they didn't match my available settings.
>
> Using Firefox. Win 10

I use Firefox and Win 10. I don't remember seeing Google login box. It
might have something to do with all my Firefox addons. I don't see any
ad either. Try to install these addons and learn to use them:

Ghostery
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

Privacy Badger
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-badger17/

uBlock Origin
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<3torai11fm8dvlsq95vruv7abfoe7pvvb6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=533&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#533

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:34:17 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 23:34 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:13:13 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>
>Login box where? Give a URL.

Many, or all sorts, but based on what Wannabe says, you might not see it
on the same pages I do.

>If it is any of Google services, well, yeah, you have to login to use
>them. Normally you only login once to your Google account which then
>gets used across all of Google services.

These are not pages that use google services. If they were, that would
make sense, I wouldn't be complaining that the box shows up

>Are you relying on cookies for automatic logins?

When I go to google search, I'm already logged in, with the correct
gmail identity. That doesn't stop the boxes from showing up (though
not on the google search page). They don't cause harm except they
obscure 15% of the page and I can't see what's underneath until I X them
away

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=stop+google+box+from+popping+up
3 from the list above:
https://lifehacker.com/you-can-disable-google-sign-in-pop-ups-on-all-websites-1849913714
https://www.howtogeek.com/735152/how-to-turn-off-the-sign-in-with-google-prompt-on-websites/
https://www.makeuseof.com/stop-google-sign-in-pop-ups/

If you don't have this problem, count yourself lucky.

> Are you purging
>cookies between web sessions?

>> I found some instructions but they didn't match my available settings.
>> Using Firefox. Win 10
>
>If the online instructions for Firefox don't match your Firefox
>settings, then are you really using Firefox? Or maybe an ancient
>version of Firefox? Just where are these "instructions"?

IN urls like the 3 above. It's more likely the instructions are old
than that my version of Firefox is, since my version is the current one.

Two or three of the three urls above are not the ones I tried the last
time, and I would try them now except I've forgotten which of the two
computers I'm using now has this problem. Or maybe both do, but I'll
know soon because the boxes show up more than once an hour.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8kp81$31n46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=534&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#534

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:39:43 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 23:39 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:07 PM, micky wrote:
> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>
> I found some instructions but they didn't match my available settings.
>
> Using Firefox. Win 10

So something like this happens.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Gp8WXqyP/mickey-dilemma.gif

And then you give it the Firefox Task Manager treatment (about:performance) .

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/SsXWP1Lr/mickey-uses-the-force.gif

Paul

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<t8sraiptrrha7vscivpdkduohs4iu9bgv6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=535&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#535

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:18:04 -0700
 by: Nobody - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 00:18 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:34:17 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:13:13 -0500,
>VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>>
>>Login box where? Give a URL.
>
>Many, or all sorts, but based on what Wannabe says, you might not see it
>on the same pages I do.
>>
>>If it is any of Google services, well, yeah, you have to login to use
>>them. Normally you only login once to your Google account which then
>>gets used across all of Google services.
>
>These are not pages that use google services.

Such as?

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<ihh4thh86tyd$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=536&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#536

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:22:06 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 03:22 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=stop+google+box+from+popping+up
> 3 from the list above:
> https://lifehacker.com/you-can-disable-google-sign-in-pop-ups-on-all-websites-1849913714
> https://www.howtogeek.com/735152/how-to-turn-off-the-sign-in-with-google-prompt-on-websites/
> https://www.makeuseof.com/stop-google-sign-in-pop-ups/
>
> If you don't have this problem, count yourself lucky.

More than luck. My taste in Web content does not lean towards sites
that require me to login to track me, but are passing me off to Google
to validate the login. Lots of sites utilize tracking via common
account tracking. You can login using Google, Facebook, Disqus, etc.

Have you considered using an ad/content blocker add-on in the web
browser? For example, I use uBlock Origin, and one of the blacklists to
which it subscribes (e.g., Adguard Social Media, EasyList Social
Widgets) is to eliminate this cross-domain tracking crap. Not only are
the tracking domain logins eliminated, but also those icon lures that
want you to link your visit to a site to Facebook, Instagram, and other
sites for the socially needy.

When I go to my Google account settings, the entire "Signing in with
Google" section is missing. That's likely because those are sub-options
under the "Enhanced Safe Browsing for your account" section is disabled
for me. I'm not enabling the "Enhanced Safe Browsing" option only to
then disable it, because I don't want any of that crap.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/11577602?hl=en

The sites you neglected to mention for any examples (which is typical of
you to withhold information) are linking a login there to your Google
account. Google provides them with the code to do that. It's up to you
if you want to enable/disable the "Enhanced Safe Browsing" feature which
has Google work with the site you visited to do the login.

> IN urls like the 3 above. It's more likely the instructions are old
> than that my version of Firefox is, since my version is the current
> one.

I also have the latest Firefox: version 115.0.2. It's not the web
browser that is at fault. The unidentified sites you visit are
utilizing Google's safe browsing feature to provide a login to their
site instead of having to write the code themselves. When you see the
Google CAPTCHA image at a site, they didn't write the code for that.
Google wrote the code, and your response goes to Google to check if you
made valid responses. Instead of having to write from scratch,
programmers often use packaged code from other sources.

Instead of a site writing its own code for login and authenticating your
input, and of managing accounts at their site, they use code from Google
to use Google's authentication at those servers. They allocate the
login effort to Google. Makes it easier to code a site, but it also
means Google can track when you login at those Google-ified sites.

If you don't think those Google-ified logins are tracking you, consider
that Google claims this process (a site using Google to authenticate a
login at the site) will eliminate you logging into a malicious web site.
That's because Google has its own malicious domain blacklist, and they
know from which site the request got sent to use Google to authenticate
a login. Google can control just which site can Google-ify their login.

If you want Google holding your hand to protect you, and you don't mind
them tracking where you login, enable "Enhanced Safe Browsing" in your
Google account. Doing so has you enabling the "protection" you see with
all those repetitive login requests at Google when visiting a site.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-use-google-chrome-enhanced-safety-mode/

While this "feature" was implemented in Chrome, Google wants to also
track, er, protect its users that are logging in elsewhere. While I use
an ad/content blocker (uBlock Origin), I suspect the primary reason why
I don't get nuisanced with all those non-Google sites wanting me to use
my Google account to login is that I configured by Google account to
*not* allow Enhanced Safe Browsing". That disables the feature on
Google's end, so the Google code the visited site uses can't pass the
login to Google's servers.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8lb5p$36qck$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=537&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#537

From: fn@smoothwater.com (Pothos)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:45:44 -0700
 by: Pothos - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 04:45 UTC

On 7/11/23 16:34, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:13:13 -0500,
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>>
>> Login box where? Give a URL.
>
> Many, or all sorts, but based on what Wannabe says, you might not see
> it on the same pages I do.

I have no accounts with Google.
I search only with DuckDuckGo.
"Allow pages to choose their own fonts" is disabled in Firefox, so
Google isn't reaching me there.
uBlock Origin is installed.

None of that matters, I see the login box on ebay all the time.
https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<3v9saidijc6sr5n9mfoe1nd2hl6dtkdhf0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=538&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#538

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 00:55:38 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 04:55 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:22:06 -0500,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=stop+google+box+from+popping+up
>> 3 from the list above:
>> https://lifehacker.com/you-can-disable-google-sign-in-pop-ups-on-all-websites-1849913714
>> https://www.howtogeek.com/735152/how-to-turn-off-the-sign-in-with-google-prompt-on-websites/
>> https://www.makeuseof.com/stop-google-sign-in-pop-ups/
>>
>> If you don't have this problem, count yourself lucky.
>
>More than luck. My taste in Web content does not lean towards sites
>that require me to login to track me, but are passing me off to Google

But they don't *require* it. I always X out the box and the sites work
fine anyhow. I'm just tired of doing that.

>to validate the login. Lots of sites utilize tracking via common
>account tracking. You can login using Google, Facebook, Disqus, etc.
>
>Have you considered using an ad/content blocker add-on in the web
>browser?

I think Firefox includes one, that occasionally the site makes me turn
off. I think sites are entitled to display advertising, so I don't
mind. Or in other words, if they couldn't sell advertising, there
would probably be no webpage.

FWIW, I do mind when I have to tell the same site over and over that I
don't want notifications. And when other boxes show up that cover the
text (as opposed to ads that stay in the ad section of the page.) And I
really dislike it when a video at the top of the page follows me, in
miniature, down the page. I'm surprised Firefox writers havent' come up
with a way to stop that.

> For example, I use uBlock Origin, and one of the blacklists to
>which it subscribes (e.g., Adguard Social Media, EasyList Social
>Widgets) is to eliminate this cross-domain tracking crap. Not only are
>the tracking domain logins eliminated, but also those icon lures that
>want you to link your visit to a site to Facebook, Instagram, and other
>sites for the socially needy.
>
>When I go to my Google account settings, the entire "Signing in with
>Google" section is missing.

The instructions to turn this off say to go to the "Signing into other
sites section, and click on the Signing in with Google section.", but I
don't have "Signing into other sites"

Under Security, I do have a section called "How you sign in to Google"
That's very similar to "Signing in with Google". HOWEVER, under that was
supposed to be "Google Account sign-in prompts" with a toggle. And there
is nothing like that anywhere.

> That's likely because those are sub-options
>under the "Enhanced Safe Browsing for your account" section is disabled
>for me.

Me too. I think I never turned it on, and it's off.

>I'm not enabling the "Enhanced Safe Browsing" option only to
>then disable it, because I don't want any of that crap.
>
>https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/11577602?hl=en
>
>The sites you neglected to mention for any examples (which is typical of
>you to withhold information)

And it's typical of you to complain about things that happened in other
threads, even when I've had a good reason for not giving examples, and I
explained that in the very threads where you complained. --- For other
readers, usually the reason is that it's a different question, not a
question about particular sites.

In this case, I haven't been noting what pages do it, and no pages have
done it since my first post. So I'm not withholding anything.

The next times I get the box, I'll note what url is doing it and get
back to you.

> are linking a login there to your Google
>account. Google provides them with the code to do that. It's up to you
>if you want to enable/disable the "Enhanced Safe Browsing" feature which
>has Google work with the site you visited to do the login.

Since I've never enabled it, and since the sites work even though I just
cancel them, X them away, I don't think this has anything to do with
Enhanced Safe Browsing.

>> IN urls like the 3 above. It's more likely the instructions are old
>> than that my version of Firefox is, since my version is the current
>> one.
>
>I also have the latest Firefox: version 115.0.2. It's not the web
>browser that is at fault.

I wasn't saying it was.

> The unidentified sites you visit are
>utilizing Google's safe browsing feature to provide a login to their
>site instead of having to write the code themselves. When you see the
>Google CAPTCHA image at a site, they didn't write the code for that.
>Google wrote the code, and your response goes to Google to check if you
>made valid responses. Instead of having to write from scratch,
>programmers often use packaged code from other sources.

The sites in question have no Captcha either.

>Instead of a site writing its own code for login and authenticating your
>input, and of managing accounts at their site, they use code from Google
>to use Google's authentication at those servers. They allocate the
>login effort to Google. Makes it easier to code a site, but it also
>means Google can track when you login at those Google-ified sites.
>
>If you don't think those Google-ified logins are tracking you, consider

As I said in an earlier post, I don't fill out the google login box. I
X it out and everything still works. I'm just tired of having to do it
over and over and over.

>that Google claims this process (a site using Google to authenticate a
>login at the site) will eliminate you logging into a malicious web site.
>That's because Google has its own malicious domain blacklist, and they
>know from which site the request got sent to use Google to authenticate
>a login. Google can control just which site can Google-ify their login.
>
>If you want Google holding your hand to protect you, and you don't mind
>them tracking where you login, enable "Enhanced Safe Browsing" in your
>Google account. Doing so has you enabling the "protection" you see with
>all those repetitive login requests at Google when visiting a site.

As I said, I don't use it. And I've never felt the need to use it.

>https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-use-google-chrome-enhanced-safety-mode/
>
>While this "feature" was implemented in Chrome, Google wants to also
>track, er, protect its users that are logging in elsewhere. While I use
>an ad/content blocker (uBlock Origin), I suspect the primary reason why
>I don't get nuisanced with all those non-Google sites wanting me to use
>my Google account to login is that I configured by Google account to
>*not* allow Enhanced Safe Browsing". That disables the feature on
>Google's end, so the Google code the visited site uses can't pass the
>login to Google's servers.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<3kcsaipfb786fepsanurenef8eb82f05u4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=539&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#539

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 01:00:20 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 05:00 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:45:44 -0700, Pothos
<fn@smoothwater.com> wrote:

>On 7/11/23 16:34, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:13:13 -0500,
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Login box where? Give a URL.
>>
>> Many, or all sorts, but based on what Wannabe says, you might not see
>> it on the same pages I do.
>
>I have no accounts with Google.
>I search only with DuckDuckGo.
>"Allow pages to choose their own fonts" is disabled in Firefox, so
>Google isn't reaching me there.
>uBlock Origin is installed.
>
>None of that matters, I see the login box on ebay all the time.
>https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB

Yes!!! That's it! And you get that even though you have no google
account! So you can't go into google settings to turn it off.

Very interesting.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8lhe5$37bh2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=541&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#541

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 06:32:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 06:32 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:45:44 -0700, Pothos <fn@smoothwater.com> wrote:

>>>Many, or all sorts, but based on what Wannabe says, you might not see
>>>it on the same pages I do.

>>I have no accounts with Google.
>>I search only with DuckDuckGo.
>>"Allow pages to choose their own fonts" is disabled in Firefox, so
>>Google isn't reaching me there.
>>uBlock Origin is installed.

>>None of that matters, I see the login box on ebay all the time.
>>https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB

>Yes!!! That's it! And you get that even though you have no google
>account! So you can't go into google settings to turn it off.

>Very interesting.

It has nothing to do with Google account settings.

Elsewhere in the thread, VanguardLH explained that Google supplies login
script to any Web site that wants it. I use NoScript add on. I don't see
the script offering login with Google when I don't allow script from
Google to run.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<1imqgw2sryuy6.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=542&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#542

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 02:10:11 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:10 UTC

Pothos <fn@smoothwater.com> wrote:

> I have no accounts with Google.
> I search only with DuckDuckGo.
> "Allow pages to choose their own fonts" is disabled in Firefox, so
> Google isn't reaching me there.
> uBlock Origin is installed.
>
> None of that matters, I see the login box on ebay all the time.
> https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB

Sites are using Google's authentication service rather than or in
addition to managing their own accounts for their users. It's also a
means of, ahem, "sharing" information between the site and Google.

https://developers.google.com/identity/gsi/web/guides/overview

Even if you don't have a Google account, the site presenting the login
dialog doesn't know that (until you attempt to use the login prompt, and
it fails). If you do have a Google account, you need to enable the
"Enhanced Safe Browsing" section in the security settings of your Google
account. The site uses Google's code, and Google cooperates, but
apparently you can decide if Google will cooperate for your account.

Google is providing the authentication service. Use the feedback at the
site using Google's auth service to note you dislike them trying to
login you in until you actually choose to do so, and that if you login
you don't want that event shared with Google.

Google is /helping/ sites with login authentication. Sites also reuse
pre-packaged Javascript libraries, too, like jQuery and react.js. The
devs use tools that pre-fabricate portions of the page code. Eventually
the devs don't know what the hell is going on at their site.

I have "Enhanced Safe Browsing" disabled in my Google account. However,
it's the site that decides if it wants to present the Google login
prompt. Could be how I configured Firefox since I've yet to encounter
those interfering Google login prompts. I also use uBlock Origin, but
again my config of it may differ from you. For uBO, I have it
subscribed to the following blacklists:

- uBlock filters (except the Badware risks blacklist)
- Adguard ads
- Easylist
- Adguard URL Tracking Protection
- EasyPrivacy
- Online Malicious URL Blocklist
- Phishing URL Blocklist
- PUP Domains Blocklist
- Adguard annoyances: cookie notices, mobile app banners, other, popup
overlays, social media, widgets.
- Easylist annoyances: chat widgets, cookie noties, newletter notices,
notifications, other, social widgets.
- Fanboy anti-Facebook
- uBlock annoyances

The blocklists overlap quite a bit, but uBO eliminates the duplicates
when it loads and compresses the table into memory. I do not subscribe
to the the Peter Lowe's hosts file. There other settings in uBO that
could differ between you and me.

I'm not on eBay that much, anymore, but I don't recall getting the
Google login prompt. I just tried, but no such prompt. Note that if I
do choose to login (by clicking the Signin link), I enter my e-mail or
username, and then can click Continue (which will ask for a password),
or use the Facebook, Google, or Apple auth services. I have no desire
to let Google track when I'm logging into eBay, or any other site.

The OP cross-posted to both the Windows 10 and Firefox newsgroups. Just
to check, are you using Firefox or Chrome to visit eBay? Chrome has its
own Google account auto-login feature. From the pic you show, the
phrase "Use your Google Account to sign in to eBay" indicates eBay is
using the Google One Tap service described at the URL given above. It
would be eBay that is presenting the prompt, but I don't know on what
eBay triggers to show the prompt. A site can trigger on whatever it
wants, like how many of its pages you visit, or on an on-hover event
(where you idle the mouse pointer).

Since you don't want to use the 3rd-party auth service to use eBay, make
sure those are linked in your eBay account. Log into eBay (using the
normal username & password credentials you give to eBay, not to some 3rd
party), go into your eBay account settings, click on "Sign in and
security" (or go to https://accounts.ebay.com/acctsec/security-center),
and look in the "Social sign in" section. eBay can use the auth
services of Google, Facebook, and Apple. Are all listed as "Unlinked"?

I consider it a huge security risk to use a common or shared
authentication service, like Google, to log into non-Google sites. If
anyone hacks your Google account, or social media account, now they can
get into every non-Google site to where you have linked your Google
account. You might as well as use the same username and same password
at every site you login since this common auth service effects the same
lack of security. I use a unique login at every domain where I login.
None share the same login.

https://lifelock.norton.com/learn/identity-theft-resources/is-it-safe-to-sign-in-with-facebook-or-google

Of course, those that inhabit socially-needy sites already have
sacrificed their privay since they blab it away to anyone to see. The
same info you revealed at the social site is the same into the site
using the social login can see. Social logins share your info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sign-on

Reusing the same account authentication with many other sites represents
a single point of failure. All of this shit is to provide convenience
to boobs that cannot be bothered to enter login credentials, and to use
long strong passwords that are unique to every login domain.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8lkea$37lp3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=543&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#543

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 03:23:52 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

On 7/12/2023 1:00 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:45:44 -0700, Pothos
> <fn@smoothwater.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/11/23 16:34, micky wrote:

>>> Many, or all sorts, but based on what Wannabe says, you might not see
>>> it on the same pages I do.
>>
>> I have no accounts with Google.
>> I search only with DuckDuckGo.
>> "Allow pages to choose their own fonts" is disabled in Firefox, so
>> Google isn't reaching me there.
>> uBlock Origin is installed.
>>
>> None of that matters, I see the login box on ebay all the time.
>> https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB
>
> Yes!!! That's it! And you get that even though you have no google
> account! So you can't go into google settings to turn it off.
>
> Very interesting.

There's an interesting pattern present.

Seamonkey - "Your cart is empty" is about the only response in that corner
MSEdge - "Something went wrong" in that corner.
Modern Firefox - I get the Google dialog as seen in https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB
Old Firefox - "Something went wrong"

The code then, is checking whether the browser has all the
ingredients for googlean tracking.

select.html

switch(_.F(a,1))
{case 1:_.z("The specified user is not signed in.");break;
case 2:_.z("User has opted out of using Google Sign In.");break; <=== Hahaha.
case 3:_.z("The given client ID is not found.");break;
case 4:_.z("The given client ID is not allowed to use Google Sign In.");break;
case 5:_.z("The given origin is not allowed for the given client ID.");break;
case 20:_.z("The given login_uri is not allowed for the given client ID.");break;
case 6:_.z("Request from the same origin is expected.");break;
case 7:_.z("Google Sign In is only allowed with HTTPS.");break;
case 8:_.z("Parameter "+_.G(a,2)+" is not set correctly.");break;
case 9:_.z("The browser is not supported.");break;
case 12:_.z("Google Sign In does not support web view.");break;
case 14:_.z("The client is restricted to accounts within its organization.");break;
default:_.z("An unknown error occurred.")}}

The "User has opted out of using Google Sign In" . As if...

Paul

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8lphn$385nb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=544&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#544

From: wasbit@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:51:03 +0100
 by: wasbit - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:51 UTC

On 12/07/2023 05:55, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:22:06 -0500,
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=stop+google+box+from+popping+up
>>> 3 from the list above:
>>> https://lifehacker.com/you-can-disable-google-sign-in-pop-ups-on-all-websites-1849913714
>>> https://www.howtogeek.com/735152/how-to-turn-off-the-sign-in-with-google-prompt-on-websites/
>>> https://www.makeuseof.com/stop-google-sign-in-pop-ups/
>>>
>>> If you don't have this problem, count yourself lucky.
>>
>> More than luck. My taste in Web content does not lean towards sites
>> that require me to login to track me, but are passing me off to Google
>
> But they don't *require* it. I always X out the box and the sites work
> fine anyhow. I'm just tired of doing that.
>
> snip <

IIRC clicking the x to exit is the same as accepting.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<kh78cfFr280U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=545&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#545

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:00:01 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:00 UTC

micky wrote:

> How do I eliminate constant google login box.

Do you mean this sort of thing, where a 3rd party site offers you to
login using your google account?

<http://andyburns.uk/misc/google-3rd-party-option.png>

I do find that annoying, especially given that I have turned off that
option within the settings of my google account

<http://andyburns.uk/misc/google-3rd-party.png>

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<kh78tfFr280U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=546&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#546

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:09:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:09 UTC

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> It has nothing to do with Google account settings.

See my earlier post, though they've either buried or removed that option
since I took that screenshot ...

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<iq82ojxm8f.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=547&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#547

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:36:50 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:36 UTC

On 2023-07-12 11:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> micky wrote:
>
>> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>
> Do you mean this sort of thing, where a 3rd party site offers you to
> login using your google account?
>
> <http://andyburns.uk/misc/google-3rd-party-option.png>

Yes.

> I do find that annoying, especially given that I have turned off that
> option within the settings of my google account
>
> <http://andyburns.uk/misc/google-3rd-party.png>

I assume that you are not logged in to google, so your settings don't
apply. If you are logged, the site doing the prompt doesn't yet know
which is your google account, so can't ask for your settings.

It would have to be a setting on each site, or better something that we
find to block that particular prompt.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<kh7b2vFr280U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=548&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#548

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:46:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:46 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I do find that annoying, especially given that I have turned off that
>> option within the settings of my google account
>
> I assume that you are not logged in to google, so your settings don't
> apply.

For my sins, I'm almost always logged in to google.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8m0h4$38rta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=549&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#549

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 06:50:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:50 UTC

On 7/12/2023 3:23 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 7/12/2023 1:00 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:45:44 -0700, Pothos
>> <fn@smoothwater.com> wrote:

>>> I have no accounts with Google.
>>> I search only with DuckDuckGo.
>>> "Allow pages to choose their own fonts" is disabled in Firefox, so
>>> Google isn't reaching me there.
>>> uBlock Origin is installed.
>>>
>>> None of that matters, I see the login box on ebay all the time.
>>> https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB
>>
>> Yes!!! That's it!  And you get that even though you have no google
>> account!  So you can't go into google settings to turn it off.
>>
>> Very interesting.
>>

> There's an interesting pattern present.
>
> Seamonkey - "Your cart is empty" is about the only response in that corner
> MSEdge - "Something went wrong" in that corner.
> Modern Firefox - I get the Google dialog as seen in    https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB
> Old Firefox - "Something went wrong"
>
> The code then, is checking whether the browser has all the
> ingredients for googlean tracking.
>
> select.html
>
> switch(_.F(a,1))
>    {case 1:_.z("The specified user is not signed in.");break;
>     case 2:_.z("User has opted out of using Google Sign In.");break;   <=== Hahaha.
>     case 3:_.z("The given client ID is not found.");break;
>     case 4:_.z("The given client ID is not allowed to use Google Sign In.");break;
>     case 5:_.z("The given origin is not allowed for the given client ID.");break;
>    case 20:_.z("The given login_uri is not allowed for the given client ID.");break;
>     case 6:_.z("Request from the same origin is expected.");break;
>     case 7:_.z("Google Sign In is only allowed with HTTPS.");break;
>     case 8:_.z("Parameter "+_.G(a,2)+" is not set correctly.");break;
>     case 9:_.z("The browser is not supported.");break;
>    case 12:_.z("Google Sign In does not support web view.");break;
>    case 14:_.z("The client is restricted to accounts within its organization.");break;
>    default:_.z("An unknown error occurred.")}}
>
> The "User has opted out of using Google Sign In" . As if...
>
>    Paul

This is a pretty crack-headed method. Google just flips you the bird.
How could this possibly end well ? It's Google! Don't be Evil Knievel!

https://www.howtogeek.com/735152/how-to-turn-off-the-sign-in-with-google-prompt-on-websites/

https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/185781726/is-google-account-sign-in-prompts-overriding-opt-out?hl=en

*******

One article mentioned Privacy Badger.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-badger17/

Some weirdness is, Privacy Badger (by EFF efforts) receives a lot of
negative entries in searches (bing.com searches). But I carried on anyway.
It was comments about its "Learning method".

To train Privacy Badger, I visited ebay.com to get the Google sign-in.

By moving the slider for "accounts.google.com" to the left (RED) color
zone, that blocks the popup. I tested using "quora.com" . But I recommend
instead, you test just with Ebay.com and make the popup disappear using
only Ebay. Don't bother using Quora -- you might get a scare like I did.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/L8fhn2V2/privacy-leaks-abound.gif

I think I know how that happened. I made some online orders
with that browser. And it looks like something got scraped
when I did not select to record that info. Quelle Suprise.

Now I have to do a scorched earth in there.

Paul

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<kh7f9oFs219U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=550&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#550

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:58:01 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:58 UTC

Paul wrote:

> How could this possibly end well ? It's Google! Don't be Evil Knievel!
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/735152/how-to-turn-off-the-sign-in-with-google-prompt-on-websites/
> https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/185781726/is-google-account-sign-in-prompts-overriding-opt-out?hl=en

A few months ago I came to the conclusion that "disable sign-in with
google" was no longer having any effect, now they seem to have removed
the setting altogether ...

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<pke2ojxa6q.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=551&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#551

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:16:09 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:16 UTC

On 2023-07-12 11:46, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> I do find that annoying, especially given that I have turned off that
>>> option within the settings of my google account
>>
>> I assume that you are not logged in to google, so your settings don't
>> apply.
>
> For my sins, I'm almost always logged in to google.

I never login to google with my main Firefox profile. Instead, I use a
different profile when I want to login. Thus, when browsing Google can
track me, but not put a mail address on me.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8mall$39p53$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=553&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#553

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:43:16 -0500
 by: sticks - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:43 UTC

On 7/12/2023 1:32 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:45:44 -0700, Pothos <fn@smoothwater.com> wrote:

>>> I have no accounts with Google.
>>> I search only with DuckDuckGo.
>>> "Allow pages to choose their own fonts" is disabled in Firefox, so
>>> Google isn't reaching me there.
>>> uBlock Origin is installed.
>
>>> None of that matters, I see the login box on ebay all the time.
>>> https://postimg.cc/dZ33VMVB
>
>> Yes!!! That's it! And you get that even though you have no google
>> account! So you can't go into google settings to turn it off.
>
>> Very interesting.
>
> It has nothing to do with Google account settings.
>
> Elsewhere in the thread, VanguardLH explained that Google supplies login
> script to any Web site that wants it. I use NoScript add on. I don't see
> the script offering login with Google when I don't allow script from
> Google to run.

I too, have never had a Google account and this google popup has
bothered me for some time now. I'm glad it bothered someone else enough
to bring it here, and for Adam's answer which seems like the only way to
get rid of it. I've been wanting to look into NoScript for some time
anyway. I think this will finally get me to do it. Thanks

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<20230712084821.58da4310@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=554&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#554

From: johnny@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:48:21 -0500
 by: Johnny - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:48 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:07:31 -0400
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>
> I found some instructions but they didn't match my available
> settings.
>
> Using Firefox. Win 10

Don't use Google.

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8mcni$3a0rb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=556&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#556

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:18:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:18 UTC

wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>On 12/07/2023 05:55, micky wrote:

>>>. . .

>>But they don't *require* it. I always X out the box and the sites work
>>fine anyhow. I'm just tired of doing that.

>IIRC clicking the x to exit is the same as accepting.

Yes! If you read the agreement, you have just authorized electronic
withdrawals from your checking account and signed over title to your
land!

Re: Eliminate constant google login box

<u8me78$3a8e5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=558&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#558

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:43:50 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:43 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:07 PM, micky wrote:
> How do I eliminate constant google login box.
>
> I found some instructions but they didn't match my available settings.
>
> Using Firefox. Win 10

Just some thoughts from an end user who started using primitive
computers with micro-cassette tape memory in the mid 1980s, then at work
a unix dumb monitor connected to central server hooked up to the
Darpanet then a desktop running MSDOS with 2 5" floppy discs, and so forth:

Is the google login box still on the monitor when you minimize Firefox?
If not, and you see it while viewing many different non-google sites,
it's probably a pop-up on Firefox. It may be legitimate or be malware.
First, if you have the most recent version, go to the Privacy and
Security section of settings. Scroll fairly far down the page until you
see the Permissions section. There's a check box labeled "Block pop-up
windows". Make sure that box is checked. Then open the Exceptions
button to the right of that checkbox and make sure that all entries, if
any, are for legitimate sites you use that require pop-up windows to
function properly. All other sites should be deleted.

If the goggle login box is still visible in the same location on the
monitor with Firefox minimized, you may be more likely to have an
infection with malware. Scan the computer with at least two different
malware scanners. I use AVAST free antivirus as my primary protection.
That has a configurable malware scanner (quick, comprehensive, etc.).
You should be using something similar just as a matter of course. I
also have the free versions of malwarebytes and super anti-spyware
installed and use them on demand when I'm worried.. If I'm suspicious
about some behavior, I scan with all 3, making sure each program's
dictionary of malware has been updated and is current. In the event
that the troublesome login box is malware, I hope you've never used it
to login to google services/sites. If a scan detects malware, try to
clean it out using the program that detected it.

Finally, you can open the Task Manager (right click with cursor in a
blank are of the taskbar at the bottom of your screen and then click on
Task Manager, or just type task manager into the windows search area of
the taskbar). In the processes tab, scroll through both the apps and
the background processes and see if anything appears suspicious. If so,
do a web search on the name of the app or process and you should be able
to determine if it belongs to part of the operating system or a program
that's installed on your computer. Of course, if the app or process is
clearly identified as malware, and it wasn't detected by malware scans,
you will need to research on the web how to fully remove it or decide
that it's time to call in an expert. (I certainly don't fall into the
category!). Good luck.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Eliminate constant google login box